HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller to ice hockey

Old
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Roller to ice hockey

Hi! I have played roller hockey for a couple years and will be playing ice hockey for the first time next weekend. I was wondering, what are some things i will have to adjust to from roller to ice hockey?

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
hockeyr5

I played ice hockey my whole life and this year I just joined roller hockey so my perspective is a little backwards but it should still help.

In ice hockey everyone can stop properly (thats was a big problem I had when first starting roller) and the game is more fast paced. It is also more physical (obviously) and you have less time and room because of that and the fact that it is 5v5. And remember to pay attention to offsides and icing.

Overall at least what from what I noticed the skill level of other players was generally higher in ice hockey.

Good luck and have fun! Nothing like ice hockey!

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
I played ice hockey my whole life and this year I just joined roller hockey so my perspective is a little backwards but it should still help.

In ice hockey everyone can stop properly (thats was a big problem I had when first starting roller) and the game is more fast paced. It is also more physical (obviously) and you have less time and room because of that and the fact that it is 5v5. And remember to pay attention to offsides and icing.

Overall at least what from what I noticed the skill level of other players was generally higher in ice hockey.

Good luck and have fun! Nothing like ice hockey!
Bang on there, way easier to stop when you want to on ice

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
esuhock22

Dump and chase actually exists in ice hockey. The ice hockey puck is heavier obviously so make sure you focus on getting use to that in warm ups. Also, not a hard thing to get use to, but the puck slides a lot faster in ice.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
PawelW007

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the answers so far guys. I realized i had so many more questions. A lot of noob questions of course haha but here it goes:

What do I exactly wear underneath all of my equipment? long sleeve shirt, shorts under the hockey pants, etc?

I have issues stopping on ice. I can slowly stop by gliding and then putting one skate sideways in front or behind the other. Does it usually take a while to figure out how to do the double sideways stop? any tips?

Anything specific I should or shouldn't do that seems like common sense for ice hockey that usually doesn't exist in roller?

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
Thanks for the answers so far guys. I realized i had so many more questions. A lot of noob questions of course haha but here it goes:

What do I exactly wear underneath all of my equipment? long sleeve shirt, shorts under the hockey pants, etc?

I have issues stopping on ice. I can slowly stop by gliding and then putting one skate sideways in front or behind the other. Does it usually take a while to figure out how to do the double sideways stop? any tips?

Anything specific I should or shouldn't do that seems like common sense for ice hockey that usually doesn't exist in roller?
You might want to see about taking a hockey skating class, if it's available in your area. Something that covers the basics. A lot of things transfer pretty well from inline to ice (backwards skating, crossovers, etc.), but learning how to stop and getting used the idea that it can be okay to slide sideways on your skates can take some time.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Torquenstein

Quote:

What you wear underneath depends on your preference. I personally just wear my jock, long socks and a t-shirt underneath. Others will tell you to wear a full body undergarment. You should just try it out.

For stoppingI found this video very helpful:
http://youtu.be/4f19ZQj_fak

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Danglous

I played roller for years until about two years ago when I finally stepped on the ice for the first time. At first I was absolutely terrible on my skates, had no clue about edge control, didnt know how to stop, stride was different. Another thing that was hard for me was that the puck moves differently in ice. As long as you stick with it and keep working at getting better you will prevail. Im now better on the ice than I ever was at roller and still working on improving every time I skate. I doubt I will play another game of roller hockey in my life.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
hockeyr5

Quote:

If you're gonna shower after wear nothing underneath so you don't have to worry about washing wet, smelly clothes.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I play both but I started with roller. Your skating will come along so don't worry too much about that. The biggest difference between ice and roller is that ice is a very zone-oriented game. The best thing you can do is learn your position and how to break out.

On ice you can't afford to have everyone crash the net, and have one guy rush back on D like you can in roller!

budster is offline   Reply With Quote