HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL: Danny Syvret

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
MacIntyre was the slowest skater I've ever seen at the NHL level. It was painful to watch him in his limited time on the ice.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
I don't think I've seen a picture or highlight package of MacIntyre with an actual hockey stick in his hand...

Old
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Dirk316

Who would have thought Shanahan would have changed the tough NHL into a horrible soft womans league

Old
01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Konopka, Godard, Orr and now BigMac I*'m sure with our *****hockey style Holland is going to pass again on the best fighter on the market which is such a shame.

If some teams are serious about getting tougher (Sabres, Nucks, Leafs?) they'd better put in a claim this guy is FEARED.

Pens are making a huge mistake here hope it bites em back. Its a shame seeing all the great guys gone and rats taking over our beloved game, sure the greenpeace crowd will be happy, die hard hockeyfans on the other hand sad.

Come back soon Smack this league needs you.
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have GMs not have to waste a valuable roster spot or cap space on guys that are only able to fight. Players who can actually play can be the ones to stand up and to get into fights. It's stupid to dress a tough guy just to fight the other team's tough guy who only dressed because your team's tough guy is dressing.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Konopka, Godard, Orr and now BigMac I*'m sure with our *****hockey style Holland is going to pass again on the best fighter on the market which is such a shame.

If some teams are serious about getting tougher (Sabres, Nucks, Leafs?) they'd better put in a claim this guy is FEARED.

Pens are making a huge mistake here hope it bites em back. Its a shame seeing all the great guys gone and rats taking over our beloved game, sure the greenpeace crowd will be happy, die hard hockeyfans on the other hand sad.

How are the Pens making a mistake? The guy was useless here. I like MacIntyre, and liked him signing with Pittsburgh, but nobody wants to fight him and he was not effective at all as a player. Pittsburgh can't afford to dress MacIntyre on a nightly basis because with the team injuries, we need every effective player as possible. You make it sound like the Pens don't want him. Shero wanted to sign him for a couple years before he finally did this past summer. And it's also not like we completely got rid of him, maybe Shero thinks nobody will claim him and he can still be in the organization and recalled when the team's a little healthier.

Quote:
This so called horrible skater still made it to the NHL so I guess he can skate better than everyone on this board. He may not be as good as some other NHL players but still compared to us I'm sure he is lightyears ahead.

How about giving these guys some respect? Rather see some pests waived instead of fan favourites.
I have respect for these guys, they are team players. Laraque was a great Penguin, Godard was a great guy on this team and I'm hoping MacIntyre gets the chance to do the same. Believe me, most Pens fans appreciate toughness.

But like KneelbeforeNeal said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelbeforeNeal View Post
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have GMs not have to waste a valuable roster spot or cap space on guys that are only able to fight. Players who can actually play can be the ones to stand up and to get into fights. It's stupid to dress a tough guy just to fight the other team's tough guy who only dressed because your team's tough guy is dressing.
Pens have players like Asham and Engelland that can step up and fight, MacIntyre spends most of his games in the press box, or getting 7 minutes a night with no challengers to fight him. If he goes to WBS, he will have challengers and ice time. So really, I know you are a huge MacIntyre fan, but you should look at this as a great oppurtunity for him to get some ice time and some scraps in the AHL. Steve MacIntyre will be in the NHL again, maybe as a Pittsburgh Penguin this season.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Big Mac seemed like a nice guy, but he's definitely on the short list of worst players I've ever seen.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:59 PM
caley

I think I actually managed to be watching when MacIntyre scored his 2 NHL goals. One was quite a nice deflection, if memory serves. Aside from him caving in Raitis Ivanans face (God, that was scary) and pounding Brandon Prust's insides into mush, the thing I remember most about MacIntyre was Ray Ferraro doing announcing for TSN between the benches and said "Either we just had a solar eclipse, or Steve MacIntyre is dressed for the Oilers" because Big Mac skated past Ferraro and the screen went almost dark.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
PPQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Big Mac seemed like a nice guy, but he's definitely on the short list of worst players I've ever seen.
I think the Hawks should pick him up to give John Scott a friend.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Pretty sure MacIntyre will clear. He seems like one of the nicest guys you could meet off the ice and one of the fiercest and best fighters on the ice.

It's been said countless times before but the age of pure heavyweight enforcers/goons is coming to an end in our league. It's a shame, as pre-lockout and a few years post-lockout there were a lot of these guys in the League and that's what they got payed to do and now after watching them for so long it seems inevitable they'll be completely extinct in no time and that's tough for the game.

GMs and coaches want players that can do more than just skate five minutes a night and seek a scrap. They like roster spots to be filled by players that not only fight, but can do things like chip in offensively, hit, win faceoffs, and PK. Unfortunate for guys like Mac, but that's how the modern-day NHL is. We saw guys like Brashear, McCarty, Laraque, and Peters leave the League a few years back and unfortunately we recently lost Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak. Now this year, guys like Godard, Ivanans, PL3, Gillies, King, and now Mac were only able to earn AHL jobs.

I have to think it's only a matter of time before the remaining goons (Shelley, Janssen, Scott, Bissonnette, Westgarth, Staubitz, etc.) find it difficult to find work.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:20 AM
luiginb

The instigator rule finally destroyed the enforcer. We will be left only with penalty-drawing rats.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I have respect for these guys, they are team players. Laraque was a great Penguin, Godard was a great guy on this team and I'm hoping MacIntyre gets the chance to do the same. Believe me, most Pens fans appreciate toughness.

Pens have players like Asham and Engelland that can step up and fight, MacIntyre spends most of his games in the press box, or getting 7 minutes a night with no challengers to fight him. If he goes to WBS, he will have challengers and ice time. So really, I know you are a huge MacIntyre fan, but you should look at this as a great oppurtunity for him to get some ice time and some scraps in the AHL. Steve MacIntyre will be in the NHL again, maybe as a Pittsburgh Penguin this season.

Thanks for the kind words and explanation. Yeah, I'm a huge BigMac and believer in the enforcers for the win fan. It kinda saddens me, seeing all these great locker-room guys getting waived but as you said I will look at it as a chance for guys like BigMac:

The AHL will help improving his game soon he will have same scraps with guys like Orr making sure both aren't getting rusty with their fists and hopefully asap we'll see them back in the NHL again. Hope, both will tear it up in the AHL might as well watch some AHL games from now on.

I'm also a big believer in toughness cause otherwise the rats will take over the game and especially young guns will be targeted like never before. Shanahan is not the on ice policy so he will not bring the same fear factor as an enforcer...OFF ICE POLICY will protect nothing.

but lets be patient the enforcers will be back and I think next season will be their revival.

@KneelbeforeNeal

I think the right mixture is key here. All toughness or all skill is gonna get you far, you need skilled and tough guys. Even Babs admitted, how important the Wings grit has been in order to win the big prize at the end. You guys, gals bet the Wings with a combination of skill and grit wearing us down easily.

Looking back at the previous cup winners all had some sort of grit on their team.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:

He adds zero for team toughness. He is too slow to hit and no one will fight him. And he doesn't discourage players from playing cheap.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I remember when he was in Florida in a pre-season game against my Oilers. I said that he was the worse player I've ever seen in my life, he was slow and he took stupid hooking penalties. Then a short time later he is claimed by my Oilers. I thought my god what the hell are they doing, but management made it clear that they thought they could work with him and make him better. They did work with him and he did get better, but the fact remained that he was just too ineffective as a NHL player. Quite possibly one of the nicest guys I've meet and a real down to earth kid, but there just is nothing for him in the NHL.

He'll go to the AHL if he so chooses and he can make a decent living 7-8 months a year.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
caley

MacIntyre cleared.

Phoenix puts Cal O'Reilly on waivers. Nice work by David Poile, he got a 4th round pick for a guy Phoenix could only stomach for a couple of months before waiving. Hell, Poile could claim O'Reilly and have both the pick and the player!

Old
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
MacIntyre cleared.

Phoenix puts Cal O'Reilly on waivers. Nice work by David Poile, he got a 4th round pick for a guy Phoenix could only stomach for a couple of months before waiving. Hell, Poile could claim O'Reilly and have both the pick and the player!
That won't happen. There's no room for him. There wasn't then, and there definitely isn't now.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I remember when he was in Florida in a pre-season game against my Oilers. I said that he was the worse player I've ever seen in my life, he was slow and he took stupid hooking penalties. Then a short time later he is claimed by my Oilers. I thought my god what the hell are they doing, but management made it clear that they thought they could work with him and make him better. They did work with him and he did get better, but the fact remained that he was just too ineffective as a NHL player. Quite possibly one of the nicest guys I've meet and a real down to earth kid, but there just is nothing for him in the NHL.

He'll go to the AHL if he so chooses and he can make a decent living 7-8 months a year.
Yeah, that was one of the goals when the Pens signed him, he knew his role but wanted to become a better player. The WBS coaching staff will work with him and try to help him improve. WBS and Pittsburgh coach the same style of hockey so MacIntyre can still learn how to play Pittsburgh Penguin hockey even though he's in the AHL. Maybe MacIntyre can improve enough to play a role similar to Mike Rupp did for the Pens.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
MacIntyre cleared.

Any chance on a claim? I assume this is the effect of claiming Brule. Wouldn't mind the Pens putting a claim in just as a shake up and with all the injuries. If he doesn't work out, no loss.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
MacIntyre cleared.

I think it was a good gamble by Phoenix. They don't all pay off. As a Phoenix fan, I'm fine with how events have unfolded in the Cal O'Reilly saga thus far.

Pouliot has just been better. So has Chipchura. We are all hoping Brule can too.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I'd like to get him in Colorado just to see if he does well playing with his brother.

Plus, we could use a better 4th liner than the likes of Cody McLeod, Kevin "I played great" Porter, Brandon Yip, David Van der Gulik (even though he works hard) and others.

With Duchy out he could be the right guy for the 4th line center spot.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'd like to get him in Colorado just to see if he does well playing with his brother.

Plus, we could use a better 4th liner than the likes of Cody McLeod, Kevin "I played great" Porter, Brandon Yip, David Van der Gulik (even though he works hard) and others.

With Duchy out he could be the right guy for the 4th line center spot.
Cal O is the exact opposite of what you would want in a 4th line center. I believe the contract Poile signed Cal too has him on a 1 way this year so he will be earning NHL salary down in the minors.

It's too bad about him. He has good hands and great vision but just doesn't seem to be have the motivation to bulk up a bit in the weight room and wasn't willing to play more aggressively.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Cal O is the exact opposite of what you would want in a 4th line center. I believe the contract Poile signed Cal too has him on a 1 way this year so he will be earning NHL salary down in the minors.

It's too bad about him. He has good hands and great vision but just doesn't seem to be have the motivation to bulk up a bit in the weight room and wasn't willing to play more aggressively.
It's like he and Ryan aren't brothers, Ryan is probably the guy that's the biggest rink/gym rat in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
It's like he and Ryan aren't brothers, Ryan is probably the guy that's the biggest rink/gym rat in the NHL.
Pretty much. You watch Ryan play and then you watch Cal and you wonder how the hell they are related. The guy is like soft butter. Plays a perimeter game and only passes but most of the time just to the other team.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Put them together, let Ryan be some kind of mentor for his brother.
Maybe Cal would pick up some extra motivation that way.
He has the skills, he needs to change his attitude and I could very well see it happen in Denver.
I'd give it a try.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Pretty much. You watch Ryan play and then you watch Cal and you wonder how the hell they are related. The guy is like soft butter. Plays a perimeter game and only passes but most of the time just to the other team.
That broken leg probably has something to do with the way he plays, he was way better before it happened, it's actually pretty sad, I hope that his dad (who's a fitness coach IIRC and Ryan always talks how he's the one responsible for the way he trains) and Ryan can get him back on track.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Avs need to pickup Cal O. Whenever Duchene is playing on the wing, it creates a shortage in terms of a 3rd or 4th line C. I'd like to see Cal O and McClement get that spot. Hishon won't probably be playing this season or next and this is a risk worth taking. I do like Cal O'Reilly but of course he was never gonna succeed in the offensive wasteland of Dave Tippet and yeah he hasn't been as good since his Nsh spell a year ago+ but he's got the potential.

Closed Thread