HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Cammalleri: "We play like losers" Update- Misquoted?

Old
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
larek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Only in Montreal where you call a spade a spade and sensitive feelings get hurt ?

LOL

This TEAM IS playing like a bunch of losers..

16 blown leads
4 points out of last place..
Power play that sucks like a LOSER
3-7 in our last 10

Man up and take it like a man, what he said is the flat out truth .

WE SUCK
not we - them -- you think cammy might think that also? he is a better player now than he was seasons past- that came right from the little mules mouth

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Only in Montreal where you call a spade a spade and sensitive feelings get hurt ?

LOL

This TEAM IS playing like a bunch of losers..

16 blown leads
4 points out of last place..
Power play that sucks like a LOSER
3-7 in our last 10

Man up and take it like a man, what he said is the flat out truth .

WE SUCK
That's fine. But he should've taken more responsibility for himself. It sounded more like throwing his teammates (and coach) under the bus. If he wants more icetime he's got to play better. Or, he can have a closed door meeting about it.

Cammy was frustrated after a tough game where the fans started to get on him. He blew up in the heat of the moment and I think he should've just owned up to it. It would've blown over. Instead, he comes back with the I was misquoted story. I could buy it if it were only one journalist but that's not the case. He's handling this very badly.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That's fine. But he should've taken more responsibility for himself. It sounded more like throwing his teammates (and coach) under the bus. If he wants more icetime he's got to play better. Or, he can have a closed door meeting about it.

Cammy was frustrated after a tough game where the fans started to get on him. He blew up in the heat of the moment and I think he should've just owned up to it. It would've blown over. Instead, he comes back with the I was misquoted story. I could buy it if it were only one journalist but that's not the case. He's handling this very badly.
in late December Eric Cole said in the media he was booing the team along with the fans....

all I'm saying is anyone trying to run him out of town is an IDIOT.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:35 PM
larek

Quote:
in late December Eric Cole said in the media he was booing the team along with the fans....

play better and score goals and quit being so soft and lazy and things will take care of themselves- other wise if its teh same old thing then expect a bumpy ride -

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think the key is the connotation of "loser" -- Cammy meant it in the "we're preparing like a team that's prepared to lose" whereas I feel Gagnon implied he meant "my teammates are incompetent/idiots".
"We're preparing like a team that's prepared to lose" sounds like a shot at the coach. Maybe folks are overanalyzing things as it was said off the cuff but it sure sounds like it's a shot at the coach. Esp when you factor in that he brought up his icetime in the conversation.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Renaud Lavoie:

SURPRISE.
surprise that Cammy is now trying to cover his arse?

shouldn't be surprising at all, he's a media saavy guy, and while he was smart enough to know exactly what he was saying, it's not surprising that he's realizing that speaking the truth of what he's thinking in his head sounds pretty terrible out loud... and makes him look like the selfish prima donna he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Kind of funny isn't it. No kidding Mike is going to try and save his ass now, like Mark Recchi did many many years ago as well
ding ding ding...

glad some people get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
I understand where you're coming from MT, but I think you're kind of directing this down a different path.

I was simply stating that these types of "issues" are continuously perpetuated by the media and fans in MTL. My original comments came regarding Pierre McG making comments about body language. Yes, Body language is a good indicator at any level of sport, not just at an elite level. But you missed the point. The point was the context of Pierre McG's comments. When did he witness this body language? Was it immediately after the announcement? So he has experience, does that mean he was reading him right? There's really no way to prove it, other than this his opinion, not fact.

Were the letters not handed out BEFORE the season started? So did Pierre see Cammy walking down the street the next day displaying poor body language?

How is it being 41 games into the season 'quick' to show your emotions? Didn't he just say what most people have been saying all season, that this teams doesn't play to win? They play not to lose? Pretty accurate if you ask me.

I do agree with you, usually where there's smoke there's fire. Unfortunately most of the fires in MTL are started by the media and fans....
there is definitely a lot of crap stirred up by the media, and to be sure if this same thing happened in Nashville, it would fly more or less under the radar.

I don't particularly care about the media storm, or the frenzy on the radio waves... i don't live in montreal so I deal with most of that crap on a regular basis.

but that said, just b/c things get magnified under the montreal spotlight, doesn't mean that the issues aren't there.

as much as I may at times come accross a bit emotional, in the end, I look at the habs from a pretty "cold" pov. My interest is purely in seeing them run as a world class organization devoted to excellence.

i don't particularly get attached to players in either a positive or negative way. having played sport at an elite level, I've known enough "good guys" who couldn't compete worth crap, and enough "bad guys" who were excellent at what they do, to not worry too much about how likeable a guy happens to be.

what matters is effectivness...

Cammy is not effective in the role he was brought in to play (aside from the ~20 playoff games where his shooting % went through the roof... a statistical anomaly that MM would quickly point out should not be considered when judging his current/future value to the team).

he does not play the game with the kind of intensity/devotion, shift after shift, that would at least justify his precense in the way that a guy like Gionta does (despite equally sporadic contributions).

I don't really care what's in his head, or his heart, so long as he goes out and competes and at the very least leads by example for our younger players.

for him to come out pointing fingers and showing the egotism that makes him the player that he is (a positive when things are going well, as laperriere pointed out), AND be completely innefective in his one-dimensional role, is why I think we need to move him, and soon.

the team is playing like "losers", nothing wrong with that statement... it's the not-so-subtle shots at the coaching staff and using his ice time as an excuse that is B.S.

in a team environment, those kinds of public comments (which are likely also quick off of his tongue in private with the guys in the room that he hangs out with, which is a MUCH bigger problem than the media comments/spin) can be considered the "cancer" causing type things that slowly impact the other players.

a depth player or grunt who runs his mouth is inconsequential... a highly paid veteran "star" making those kinds of comments has a toxic effect on the rest of the squad, breeding resentment among other vets (especially those who make less and sacrifice more or are more effective), and even worse, "teaching" young players that thinking/acting like a selfish primadonna is ok... even when you don't play like a star.

go figure that Weber comes out with equally self-indulgent comments a day later, coincidence???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Brian Wilde is on TSN990 right now. He was also there yesterday.

Edit: He just stated that Cammalleri was NOT misquoted at all.
must be b/c Wilde has a bone to pick with Cammy as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm extremely annoyed with the way Cammy has been playing all season, but is all of this seriously because he said "were playing like a bunch of losers?"

Or did I miss some other comments he made?
according to cammy:

- he's better than he's ever been
- defensive screw ups are ok b/c he's not getting enough ice time
- staff/system is causing team to play like losers

Leaders often call themselves and/or their teammates out for not playing well, or for playing like "losers"...

nothing wrong with it as long as:

- the player in question is himself beyond reproach (both in effort and in performance) and is clearly "carrying" the burden & his teammates/coaches need to match his effort/intensity/effectivness (Ray Lewis comes to mind)

- the player in question makes it abundantly clear that it starts with him, almost to an exaggerated point of accountability (and all the more effective when such player is doing the above).

when a guy is sucking it up, and follows up the "we're playing like losers" comments with clear finger pointing (to the point that he even said "read btw the lines to get what I'm saying"), then HE is clearly the loser and a huge part of the problem.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
play better and score goals and quit being so soft and lazy and things will take care of themselves- other wise if its teh same old thing then expect a bumpy ride -
playoffs he got 29 pts in 26 games as a Habs...

and some media type and fan idiots are trying to run him out of town? because he spoke the truth...?

Oh wait, if we load a team up with french speakers, the cup will come ....workin in Tampa

Foolish .

Old
01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
tigerman111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Typical Habs fan ! This is why we are where we are ! We need more Darches in Montreal.
Quote:

and some media type and fan idiots are trying to run him out of town? because he spoke the truth...?

Oh wait, if we load a team up with french speakers, the cup will come ....workin in Tampa

Foolish .
He's gotta help us get in the playoffs first...

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
nonsense- when a player especially in a hockey market talk like that its goign to be a story- to think otherwise is naive
Exactly. And two journalists reported what he said. So please, Mike... Man up. Back your words tonight.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:

Foolish .
The media aren't trying to run him out of town, like you're implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by François Gagnon
Au lendemain d'une 26e défaite en 42 matchs, au milieu d'une saison marquée d'échecs, de déceptions, de contre-performances et de l'absence de signes encourageants et prometteurs, les paroles de Cammalleri donnaient clairement l'impression de lancer le message qu'il serait loin d'être fâché de quitter Montréal avant la date limite des transactions le 27 février prochain.

«Je pourrais en dire bien plus, mais vous pouvez lire entre les lignes», s'est-il contenté d'ajouter
Gagnon simply stated that Cammalleri's comments made the impression he wouldn't mind to be traded. He told him to read between the lines, that's what he's trying to do...

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman111 View Post
He's gotta help us get in the playoffs first...
no, his general MANAGER let them all down ....this year ....

and it all started after the momo we had ,and got stopped by Flyers in rd 3, old Gauthier did nothing to make to team tougher at all,after seeing the Habs man handled.

ALL DOWN HILL FROM that day ....

I think the some players are just tired of it ....(soft team)

Old
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
"We're preparing like a team that's prepared to lose" sounds like a shot at the coach. Maybe folks are overanalyzing things as it was said off the cuff but it sure sounds like it's a shot at the coach. Esp when you factor in that he brought up his icetime in the conversation.
he definitely is taking a shot at the coaching staff...

re-read the quote

«On regarde les matchs qui s'en viennent en nous disant qu'on doit respecter le plan à la lettre si nous voulons nous donner une chance de gagner. Ça n'a pas de bon sens.

- coaches tell us to respect the game plan to the letter if we want to have a chance to win... it doesn't make any sense.

Wonder how Scotty Bowman would react to a player telling him that?

C'est bien beau de regarder ce que les autres équipes font par le biais des vidéos. C'est bien beau de consulter les notes sur les tableaux. Mais, à un moment donné, il faut que l'on joue aussi.

- forget the video, forget the notes, at a certain point we have to just play

RC is apparently big on using video (and tech that allows it to be more mobile/immediate), apprently Cammy's not a fan of the approach (whereas Gorges speaks very highly of it).

«J'ai joué pour des bonnes et des moins bonnes équipes. Quand tu affiches une attitude de perdants comme on le fait présentement, tu perds plus souvent que tu ne gagnes et tu t'enfonces au classement.

- I've been around enough success and losing to know that our problem we have is our losing attitude

last time I checked, Cammy hasn't won anything in a long long time, and nothing as a pro. I guess 3 trips to the playoffs and 2 playoff series wins is enough to make you an expert on winning mentalities.

wonder if even knows how much RC has won as a player/coach?

Quand tu affiches une attitude de gagnants, que tu ne te laisses pas étouffer par les erreurs et que tu réponds à une erreur avec 15 beaux jeux à l'autre bout, tu gagnes et tu te sors de la misère. Ce n'est pas ce que nous faisons ici présentement», a enchaîné Cammalleri sur un ton tranchant.

- "winners" respond to mistakes with 15 beautiful plays, and win their way out of problems, that's not what we are doing here now.

actually Mike, a huge part of why we aren't winning is that YOU are paid to make beautiful plays, and YOU have failed to deliver all season long... but you have delivered a lot of the other part, the mistakes...

«Je pourrais en dire bien plus, mais vous pouvez lire entre les lignes», s'est-il contenté d'ajouter.

- I could say more, but you can read btw the lines...

actually mike, we don't have to, you make yourself perfectly clear...

don't let the door hit you to hard on the way out of town!

Old
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

re-read the quote

«On regarde les matchs qui s'en viennent en nous disant qu'on doit respecter le plan à la lettre si nous voulons nous donner une chance de gagner. Ça n'a pas de bon sens.

- coaches tell us to respect the game plan to the letter if we want to have a chance to win... it doesn't make any sense.

C'est bien beau de regarder ce que les autres équipes font par le biais des vidéos. C'est bien beau de consulter les notes sur les tableaux. Mais, à un moment donné, il faut que l'on joue aussi.

RC is apparently big on using video (and tech that allows it to be more mobile/immediate), apprently Cammy's not a fan of the approach (whereas Gorges speaks very highly of it).

«J'ai joué pour des bonnes et des moins bonnes équipes. Quand tu affiches une attitude de perdants comme on le fait présentement, tu perds plus souvent que tu ne gagnes et tu t'enfonces au classement.

- I've been around enough success and losing to know that our problem we have is our losing attitude

last time I checked, Cammy hasn't won anything in a long long time, and nothing as a pro. I guess 3 trips to the playoffs and 2 playoff series wins is enough to make you an expert on winning mentalities.

Quand tu affiches une attitude de gagnants, que tu ne te laisses pas étouffer par les erreurs et que tu réponds à une erreur avec 15 beaux jeux à l'autre bout, tu gagnes et tu te sors de la misère. Ce n'est pas ce que nous faisons ici présentement», a enchaîné Cammalleri sur un ton tranchant.

- "winners" respond to mistakes with 15 beautiful plays, and win their way out of problems, that's not what we are doing here now.

actually Mike, a huge part of why we aren't winning is that YOU are paid to make beautiful plays, and YOU have failed to deliver all season long... but you have delivered a lot of the other part, the mistakes...

«Je pourrais en dire bien plus, mais vous pouvez lire entre les lignes», s'est-il contenté d'ajouter.

So it is clear you are a fan of RC......However, I wonder who will leave town first, RC or MC? and I bet MC will bring us more on his exit than RC. It is clear to anyone paying attention that the game plan is falty and not adapted to the players you have at hand. RC has done nothing to be congratulated for.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

re-read the quote

How can you expect all the players to BUY INTO RANDY????

he got 40 more games to go then he is gone..

anything he's preaching, ain't gonna sink too deep into the players heads.....

so put yourself in the players shoes.

THIS IS THE DOING of Gauthier....he is the one that caused the house to come fallin down .

Old
01-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

This is seriously pathetic.
All the guys that were here in 08-09, that have left, are probably laughing their ***** off. Some must sympathize as well.
Guys that are still here like Price and Plekanec, probably told Cammy ''Now, we can truly tell you, Welcome to Montreal.''

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
haha you are the "mature" fan arn't you? It's a shame so many fans in MTL are like you.
This is a good group therapy for fans. It highlights who those "mature fans" are.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
So it is clear you are a fan of RC......However, I wonder who will leave town first, RC or MC? and I bet MC will bring us more on his exit than RC. It is clear to anyone paying attention that the game plan is falty and not adapted to the players you have at hand. RC has done nothing to be congratulated for.
Not at all...

If anything, thus far I'm not impressed with RC...

But he's been the coach for a handful of games, far too early to pass any strong judgement on his work IMO...

On the other hand, cam my has been here for 2 1/2 years, and living in Cgy, I've been seeing him for even longer...

His outburst isn't that surprising, nor is his failure to live up to the contract.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Not at all...

If anything, thus far I'm not impressed with RC...

But he's been the coach for a handful of games, far too early to pass any strong judgement on his work IMO...

On the other hand, cam my has been here for 2 1/2 years, and living in Cgy, I've been seeing him for even longer...

His outburst isn't that surprising, nor is his failure to live up to the contract.
Fair enough!. Count me in the "kick RC to the curb" club......I prefer coaches with a game plan that actually adapts to the talent you have in place on a team.....rather than a static game plan that does not take into consideration the talent in place.....

As for Cammie, I hear you and am not surprised either....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

THIS IS THE DOING of Gauthier....he is the one that caused the house to come fallin down .
I'm not excusing Cammy, he should just apologize for the way he said things and be done with it.

That said, you are 100 percent correct with RC. Gauthier hung him out to dry and left him twisting in the wind. If the team does implode in the dressing room this one's on him. He's bungled this whole thing very badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This is seriously pathetic.
All the guys that were here in 08-09, that have left, are probably laughing their ***** off. Some must sympathize as well.
Guys that are still here like Price and Plekanec, probably told Cammy ''Now, we can truly tell you, Welcome to Montreal.''
That's why we only sign retreads. You think Chara would have wanted anything to do with this place?

Not surprising in the least that we can't get big name free agents to come here.
Quote:

I don't think we should run him out of town either. But if the coach is smart, he pulls him aside and straigtens things out. Let cool heads prevail here.

That being said, I'm all for dealing away Cammy IF we get a good return. But that has nothing to do with this outburst. There have been outbursts from players before and there will be others again. You can't just automatically deal away players when this happens. You've got to smooth things over.

The reason I'd try to trade Cammy is for the same reasons I've been saying we should for a long time now, we should rebuild.

Old
Miller Time

Quote:

1- agree 100% that the biggest blame for this mess lies at gauthier's (and Gainey) feet

2- like the coach or not, cammy needs to shut his trap and man-up... Crappy coaching & crappy situation hasn't stopped Cole, moen, Eller, DD, or Kost from playing up to or above expectations.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Something about the way Cammy was talking in the snippets they aired on TSN irked me. Granted I want to super plex the guy so I might be looking for something there. Just very passive aggressive....

Here's how I see it... I'm more awsome then ever, the coach is using me wrong, you guys are smart... it's apparent.

Very self-indulgent and not at all admirable...

Cammy you got the same amount of goals as Travis Moen for like 5 times the price... new coach is an opportunity for a clean slate and Cammy comes out and acts like a *****.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

re-read the quote

Scotty Bowman wouldn't need to react because his players would be better prepared.
I feel bad for RC because personally, I don't think he has the right players for his style of hockey and he's too green to be able to adapt to any team, but Cammy is right in that the team looks as bad as it ever has.

Quote:

Actually, that's not at all the case. Francois Gagnon even explained that part on l'Antichambre.
What Cammy was saying regarding the videos and notes, is that it's all good to look at those things, but if you're an already beaten up team with a losing mentality (which pretty much just means no confidence), then it'll change nothing.
At some point, we have to stop over analyzing, and just play.

That's what Cammy meant. Not even close to your interpretation of him not liking video time and taking a shot at RC.

Quote:

If you're going to translate a sentence, better make sure you understood it.
Cammy didn't say he's been around enough success and losing. He said he's been on good and bad teams, and that when you have a losing mentality, then you'll end up losing more than winning and just plummet down.

I fail to see how he's wrong there. Yes, when you're a team that lacks confidence, and gives up quickly (losing mentality), you will lose more than win. Nothing surprising, hurtful or harmful.
Quote:

A huge part??? Take it down a notch will ya?
He's not having a good year in terms of production, and he didn't blame anybody for it. Just like a bunch of other players on our team.

A HUGE part as to why we aren't winning is certain decisions our GM made.

But even if he was a huge part, he still is absolutely right with his comment.
Quote:

Telling the medias and fans read between the lines is pretty much the absolute worst thing you can do in Mtl.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Different coach.

Since Randy's been hired, this is the second time Cammy questions the coaching tactics and the way the Habs "play not to make mistakes" and don't play winning hockey. I don't know if he thought the same of Martin, he might or might not have, but if he did he didn't say.
I know you don't like Randy, much the same way you were on Martin's case a few years ago, but this is becoming ridiculous. Cammy is being a whiny sulk. If he has a problem with the coach, he should discuss it with the coach, not the media, especially in Montreal. I laugh at how this terrible team is all the fault of Randy Cunneyworth, lets ignore the fact it was in a downward spiral that led to his hiring in the first place.

You don't like the coach, I get it, but speculating that this all about Cunneyworth is a bit much, Cammy is a spoiled brat, he should shut his pie hole.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Roke

Quote:
That's how I read the quotes (though the headline read differently to me). Talk of things being too simple/uncreative and ice-time complaints is a shot at the (lame duck thanks to Gauthier's comments a while back) coach.

Though I do agree with what Cammalleri's said I don't like it being aired out in public. Personally I'd prefer if the players didn't say anything to the media because it's either boring "give 100%" garbage or stuff that gets stirred up into a controversy (in both languages) to sell papers.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
But he did call his teammates losers. He said that the team prepares for games like losers (meaning a team who knows that they're going to lose). I don't see what the big deal is. The trade demand comment was Gagnon's opinion... Brian Wilde felt the same way.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time believing that Cammalleri said what he said. Like I said before, I don't think his "losers" comment was that bad. The other comments he made (which were caught on tape) is what bothered me and many other people.
Did he say the you can read between the lines portion or was that a fabrication by Gagnon? If he said that, I don't know how anyone can defend Cammy, it's obvious what he meant. If he didn't say it, shame on Gagnon.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote