HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will/should the Kings resign either Mitchell or Scuderi?

Old
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Could you imagine if the Kings D pairs were...

Johnson-Doughty
Voynov-Hickey
Martinez-Muzzin

The Kings would get pushed around every night.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Could you imagine if the Kings D pairs were...

Johnson-Doughty
Voynov-Hickey
Martinez-Muzzin

The Kings would get pushed around every night.
Whats Ironic about that, I have Slava/Hickey as my second line pairing in NHL 12.

They lead my Kings team in plus/minus, points (D men) and Hits...... lol

Drew is a freakin anchor on my team with that cap hit. He has now gone three straight seasons with 35 to 40 points. I am going to trade him in my next draft.

Jack in my last season had 14G 54A and was a (Get this) plus 54 <---------WOW. He won the Norris. I sim most of my GM-mode games.

Just some comic relief for ya.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Johnny Utah

Even Detroit has White, Kronwall and Commodore...and you know you have problems if you have a softer D than Detroit...so a bunch of puck movers won't cut it.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Bernier is not going to be a King for much longer if Quick keeps playing like this.

Hickey/A-Mart should be trade bait. They should be moved for forward prospects in similar situations(log-jams).

Muzzin really is the only D prospect probably close to being a Legit NHL consistent D man(he could even use another year maybe).

Slava already has a full time spot pretty much sooooo. Davis is the perfect 7th D man(doesn't complain/always ready to play).

Forbort is not close to being on any Pro roster (project) the rest of the Manchester bunch (D wise) needs about two/three years more.
The Kings can keep the current core another two/three years I say.
Who cares what happens to Bernier? People are already saying give Quick $8m a year. Now that is ridiculous but Quick is going to get a raise that is higher than the total of he and Bernier's salary. SOmething has to give. The defense is the most bloated part of the payroll.

I'm fine with trading Martinez and Hickey if the Kings are getting forwards at a comparable age but moving them just to keep an older player is not a good idea.

Quote:
Even Detroit has White, Kronwall and Commodore...and you know you have problems if you have a softer D than Detroit...so a bunch of puck movers won't cut it.
Ok we got it, so what do you want to do? Mitchell is going to want a mutli year deal. As a 35+'r Are you fine with them giving him whatever he wants? He is a going to be a UFA. What if a desperate team offers him 2 or 3 years at $3m per? What if the Kings miss the playoffs and he wants to go to a contender? These are all realistic scenarios. We all understand you have a hard on for tough guys but there is a chance that DL doesn't even get to re-sign him. Then what?

I'm sure there are cheaper options available for a physical stay at home D and DL just might have to go that route. Especially if you are interested in seeing the Kings be better than the 30th in goal scoring.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Johnny Utah

I made my suggestions earlier....Gleason (28), Salvador (35), Jackman (30), or Beauchemin (31).

I guess Shane O'Brien could be another option, he is good friends with Richardson.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Nex06

Quote:
It isn't about that, but people are calling for a D core of Martinez, Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, letting go Scuderi and Mitchell and then trading Greene? And possibly inserting Hickey? WTF. That would be the softest D in the NHL.

Kings will always go with 3 stay at home guys who are hard on the stick or play physical. That is Hextall and Lombardi's mentality. I am grateful for that otherwise, if some posters had there way the Kings D would look like a figure skating team.
Yeah, I agree that there is no way Kings can lose all those players. Some toughness is needed. Drewiske can't be an option, neither can Hickey.

Depending on the cap I actually could see Mitchell getting 2 years. What do you think about 2.75M, two years? Promotions from minors are possible, especially after Scuderi's contract runs out. The cap relief would be 0.75M after this season and additional 3.4M after next season. When Mitchell's extension runs out, we would have 6.9M available in total, compared to today. I think it could work.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
do you not realize that Drewiske, Martinez and Voynov are all ahead of Hickey on the depth chart? With the amount of puck movers the Kings have on their roster and in their system, Hickey will be lucky to ever play a game for the Kings. There is eitehr going to have to some player movement or lots of injuries for that to happen.

He has a chance to get past Drewiske if Mitchell is gone.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Ollie Weeks

Gleason or Stuart would be suitable replacements for Mitchell, if it came to it.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Ok we got it, so what do you want to do? Mitchell is going to want a mutli year deal. As a 35+'r Are you fine with them giving him whatever he wants? He is a going to be a UFA. What if a desperate team offers him 2 or 3 years at $3m per? What if the Kings miss the playoffs and he wants to go to a contender? These are all realistic scenarios. We all understand you have a hard on for tough guys but there is a chance that DL doesn't even get to re-sign him. Then what?

I'm sure there are cheaper options available for a physical stay at home D and DL just might have to go that route. Especially if you are interested in seeing the Kings be better than the 30th in goal scoring.
Two more years at 3M for Willie would be great. I'd be willing to give him another year at his current CAP hit (3.5M). There might be cheaper options for a stay at home D, but not many better options.

If we're going to save money it should be on our dead weight forwards (Penner+Stoll+Gagne=11.35M).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Gleason or Stuart would be suitable replacements for Mitchell, if it came to it.
Neither of them are as good as Mitchell defensively.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Neither of them are as good as Mitchell defensively.
No, but who is? We're mitigating his loss, not fully replacing him.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Yeah, that 6th ranked defense is pretty bad.

Up until just a few games ago, they actually had a better GAA than us. And those puckm oving defensemen also helped the Wings offense score 1.1 more goals per game than the Kings have.

Just because it's not your favorite idea, doesn't mean it won't work.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:26 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
No, but who is? We're mitigating his loss, not fully replacing him.
That's my point. I'd rather just resign him.

I think he'd be cheaper and better than most of the other options.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
That's my point. I'd rather just resign him.

I think he'd be cheaper and better than most of the other options.
None of those things are certainties, for reasons I think Buddy outlined. Come this summer (surprise surprise) we might not get what we want, which is Mitchell returning.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I made my suggestions earlier....Gleason (28), Salvador (35), Jackman (30), or Beauchemin (31).

I guess Shane O'Brien could be another option, he is good friends with Richardson.
MOst of those guys are going to cost as much, if not more than Mitchell so that kinda defeats the purpose if you are trying to save cap space.

Quote:
Two more years at 3M for Willie would be great. I'd be willing to give him another year at his current CAP hit (3.5M). There might be cheaper options for a stay at home D, but not many better options.

If we're going to save money it should be on our dead weight forwards (Penner+Stoll+Gagne=11.35M).
Yeah but you have to replace those guys and the Kings don't exactly have cheaper replacements for them except in the case of Loktionov for Stoll. That saves you a little more than $2m but if you are looking to upgrade the wing position, the cap space is going to have to come from some where. That is the bottom line.. the Kings are going to have to make some personnel changes of some kind this offseason and the only place the Kings have cheaper contracts is the the defensive department. That is why it makes the most sense to let some of those guys walk. If Doughty and Johnson can't hold the fort down defensively, why did DL just pay both of them $11m+ a year?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

When does the league/NHLPA usually announce what the cap will be for the upcoming season?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
When does the league/NHLPA usually announce what the cap will be for the upcoming season?
After the draft a few days before the free agency...

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Whats Ironic about that, I have Slava/Hickey as my second line pairing in NHL 12.

They lead my Kings team in plus/minus, points (D men) and Hits...... lol

Drew is a freakin anchor on my team with that cap hit. He has now gone three straight seasons with 35 to 40 points. I am going to trade him in my next draft.

Jack in my last season had 14G 54A and was a (Get this) plus 54 <---------WOW. He won the Norris. I sim most of my GM-mode games.

Just some comic relief for ya.
And I traded Hunter for Stalberg straight up, Jordan Nolan has 20 points on a 3rd line with Lewis and Penner..

and Toffoli was the teams leading scorer on a line with Gagne an Richards (until he got a concussion about 35 games in)

I love NHL12s alternate reality sometimes

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Yeah but you have to replace those guys and the Kings don't exactly have cheaper replacements for them except in the case of Loktionov for Stoll. That saves you a little more than $2m but if you are looking to upgrade the wing position, the cap space is going to have to come from some where. That is the bottom line..

I don't think our CAP situation is that tight. I think we can afford to resign Willie and add a big contract for the 1st line. Drewiske, Penner, Stoll, Parse, Hunter & Bernier could all be gone and replaced for cheaper. I doubt it would hurt us.

We need to go for quality instead of quantity. I'm tired of paying a bunch of potential 20 goal scorers in the hopes one of them might click, and having them end up on the 3rd/4th lines. If we don't waste CAP space on the bottom 6, we should be just fine.

12-13 Potential Roster
1st Line Winger ($7.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Colin Fraser/Resign? ($1.000m) / 4th Line Grinder ($0.625m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)

Drew Doughty ($7.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m)

Jonathan Quick ($1.800m)
Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $62,122,975; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,177,025

Who knows what the actual salary CAP will be, but I think we still have some flexibility; Mitchell could probably be had for a little less, Zaktoff would save us .673M on our backup goaltender, and a top line scorer could be a lot cheaper if he gets a Mike Richards type contract.

There's lots of options.

Quote:
Doughty and Johnson can't hold the fort down defensively, why did DL just pay both of them $11m+ a year?
He's taking a gamble that they'll be able to, but I'm in favor of moving Johnson if need be. He would garner an excellent return on the trade market.