HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Old
01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I wouldn't touch a MDZ contract that is longer than 3 years. He has been good this season, yes, but until he puts back-to-back seasons of solid play together I don't want to invest 5 years into him. Let him go through a shorter contract where he has to work for his money.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the current free agent rules remain the same,MDZ is 4 years away from being a group III.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'd expect a typical second contract offer from Slats. Still, I'm hopeful the unforeseen benefit of the way this team is built is going to be the fact that players want to be here and are willing to leave some money on the table to keep the team together as long as possible.

If there's one thing I really noticed on 24/7, it's that this is a very, very tight-knit team. Should pay dividends in the long run.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I imagine MDZ wants to stick around Richards

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
I imagine MDZ wants to stick around Richards
And a top tier team with the best goaltender in the league

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

MDZ, Prust and Boyle seem to have a thing going on. They are always the last ones off the ice after a win and do their handshake. Also Prust tweeted yesterday that they were all at the Giants game together.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
terrrrrible

2 yrs, 1.75-2.25per.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
3 years 2,333 per = $7m to hang out in Averys bar the next 3 years - legally

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Yes you are way off what everyone else is thinking just read the thread. Again doesn't mean you are wrong. I doubt there's anyway he does more than 3. Wouldn't be smart for him financially. For the rangers 2 years is bad though they have enough guys to re-sign. 3 years is pretty good for both but 4 at 2.5-3 would be perfect imo. 5 years for 3 is just too good to be true it wouldnt make any sense for MDZ to do that to himself altho I'd love if he did especially since we will have a backlog of D at even strength. As it stands now McD, Staal, MDZ, who's the third pairing LD? Then you throw in Girardi, Erixon for the future and someone HAS to be the 3rd pair.
Yeah, I've read the thread. I think most here are way off base. Defensemen who can score 40-50 points and play big time plus hockey are quite difficult to find. If someone (the Islanders) ever wanted to pee on the Rangers parade, they could offer MDZ a big time offer sheet and screw up the entire salary structure. They would also be making a savvy hockey decision.

Staal got a 5 year contract after his ELC. MDZ and McDonagh could both be in that line. I doubt that last year will really devalue him that much.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Esa 10

The important thing about MDZ being an RFA vs UFA this summer is that the Rangers retain his rights by simply qualifying him. Given the uncertainty of the new CBA, both sides might decide to wait until its resolution before penning a deal. No doubt something satisfactory to both sides will be worked out, but I have a feeling it'll take awhile.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Yeah, I've read the thread. I think most here are way off base. Defensemen who can score 40-50 points and play big time plus hockey are quite difficult to find. If someone (the Islanders) ever wanted to pee on the Rangers parade, they could offer MDZ a big time offer sheet and screw up the entire salary structure. They would also be making a savvy hockey decision.

Staal got a 5 year contract after his ELC. MDZ and McDonagh could both be in that line. I doubt that last year will really devalue him that much.
It not so much about devaluing him, though last year certainly didn't help earn him any kind of raise. What matters most is how many years Sather is willing to give him. Staal got 5 years because he had spent 3 years establishing himself as one of the best young shutdown defenders in the league. MDZ had a promising rookie year and a terrible sophomore year. This year he has looked good, but I doubt Sather will give him a long term deal based on 1 good year.

Look at all the other players who didn't get more than 2 years from Sather in their 2nd contract:

Callahan
Dubinsky
Girardi
Tyutin
Anisimov
Sauer
Prucha
Dawes

I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of. Henrik got a 1 year deal then signed long term the following January.

The point is, I don't think Sather is going to give MDZ more than 2 years based on his body of work. Maybe 3 years is a possibility if he can keep the cap number low, just so that there aren't so many contracts up at one time, but that's a dangerous road to walk. MDZ would only have 1 year left before UFA. He could elect arbitration, take a 1 year deal and then walk (see Parise, Zach).

I'm not saying that MDZ would do that, but he could. I'd rather give him 2 years and then, if he continues to improve, give him a long term deal afterwards, while he's still 2 years from UFA.

Edit: And we don't know what's going to happen with the new CBA. It's possible that the age/year limit for becoming UFA could change.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Free agency is fine where it is right now. Player becomes a group III with 7 years or age 27. The owners can't change everything.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Free agency is fine where it is right now. Player becomes a group III with 7 years or age 27. The owners can't change everything.
It may not be the owners who try to change it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It may not be the owners who try to change it.
If the players are concerned about lowering the age of unrestricted free agency,there won't be a season in 12-13. Some teams will push for raising the age.

Fehr comes from MLB where the players become unrestricted free agents after 6 years of service time. Players become arbitration eligible after the 3rd year. Very similar to the NHL.

In the NHL,its 7 years of service time or age 27. Arbitration varies according to when the player signed his ELC.

Not much difference. The NHLPA should be happy they have salary arbitration.

Free agency is fine that way it is. Arbitration is a joke. Go with the MLB system. The arbitrator is not allowed to split the difference. Not that many arb cases in MLB.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Probably around 2.75 mil for around 3 years is my guess.
the only reason im going to agree with this is because sather always gives people more money than deserves.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhenrikthegr819 View Post
the only reason im going to agree with this is because sather always gives people more money than deserves.
Sather rarely if ever gives a player more money than they deserve as a RFA. UFA is another matter, but in RFA negotiations Sather is a monster.

MDZ should get 2yrs around 2mil per.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Del Zotto will make in upwards of 3 to 4 mill per.

Either by the Rangers or someone will offer-sheet him.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post

Possible, just don't see that happening

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post

Everyone always threatens the offer-sheet and it never happens. Not at all worried about it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If he gets an offer sheet, which he won't, I guarantee the Rangers match.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Letang may be the best comparable out there. 4 years at $3.5MM. Even with Del Zotto's bust year in 2010-11, he'll still match Letandg's first three years in offense and +25 speaks for itself. Just get him signed, set a fair expectation for McDonagh and move on. This contract would not be a salary cap issue under current circumstances.

Last edited by bobbop: 02-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Whoa you are way off what everyone else is thinking here. Doesnt mean you're wrong but you prob are.
Quote:
No I'm not. 5 years, $15-17MM. Would be smart to get him under contract long term and set the bar for McDonagh the following summer.
Quote:
Yeah, I've read the thread. I think most here are way off base.
Lol really? I say you are way off of what everyone else is saying...you say no...then you say everyone else is way of what you are thinking which is exactly the same as what I said...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Lol really? I say you are way off of what everyone else is saying...you say no...then you say everyone else is way of what you are thinking which is exactly the same as what I said...
He meant he's not wrong.

Anyway, I agree, I'd give him a Letang-esque deal.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

DZ is not arbitration eligible this summer. McDonagh is arb eligible next summer. Sign DZ to the Rangers customary 2 year deal for non-arb players. Sign McDonagh to long term deal. 4 years which includes 1 year of group III. Then sign DZ to a longer term deal in 2014.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
You bolded the worng part of the first quote.