HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D for 2012 Draft

Old
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
D for 2012 Draft

With Florida doing comparatively well this year, they will (hopefully) give us this years 2nd and not next. I cannot see either Florida or LA getting past the 2nd round (if LA make them) of the playoffs, and I cannot see us doing so either. If so that would give us three draft picks (hopefully) in the top 50-55

If so, approximate ranges.

Our First: 18-26 range
LA's Second: 42-52 range
Florida's Second: 46-52 range

Taking a lot of mock drafts, here are the D men that could be available in first. (which is most likely what we will, and should, take.)

1st round pick.

Cody Ceci
Slater Koekkok
Derrick Pouliot
Griffin Reinhart
Matt Finn
Olli Maata
Jordan Schmaltz
Nick Ebert
Michael Matheson

Looking at that, it could be possible we get Ebert with our first, (can see him becoming amazing) Maata at 42~, (he would have to fall slightly.. but fingers crossed) then say Ville Pokka or one of the other 5-10 talented D there (or just draft BPA) at 46~?

And who does everyone want (who is likely to be there at 18-26.) In the first round. As can imagine a lot of you don't want Ebert as we need more size and D (plus he is a NJ devils fan!)

I would love Griffin Reinhart, but doubt he falls past 18.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:56 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

we suck at developing defensemen.....and that's scary

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'd like to try and package those seconds to move into the top 35 if at all possible. It might be difficult, but we'll see.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

There is always the possibility of us moving up the draft using teh 2 second rounders. I could see us getting into the top 15 with a package of

our first(25-30) + 2nd + 2nd

if we go on a deep play-off run.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
we suck at developing defensemen.....and that's scary
Eh, that's kind of an unfair statement. They haven't really drafted any real high ceiling defensemen so of course they aren't churning guys out to be #1's. Their mid round picks have been average to below average, as is the case with most organizations. I'd say they have a problem drafting defensemen rather than developing them.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
There is always the possibility of us moving up the draft using teh 2 second rounders. I could see us getting into the top 15 with a package of

our first(25-30) + 2nd + 2nd

if we go on a deep play-off run.
That's another thing.

If we have only one pick it that top 40, despite this being a deep draft we might as well go quality over quantity. I know it sounds counterproductive when we could draft 2-3 solid defensemen, but drafting that one stud that our organization really likes may just be the right plan for this season.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Drafting Ebert in the first round would be a mistake. He's been plummeting in the rankings since the beginning of the year, and has been a shell of what he was last year. Of the players you listed, I would want Reinhart. But, he's not going to be available where we're picking. I also think Ceci and Pouliot will be picked before our first round pick is on the clock. So, of guys that could realistically be available, I would take Maatta or Koekkoek, despite his injury.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Drafting Ebert in the first round would be a mistake. He's been plummeting in the rankings since the beginning of the year, and has been a shell of what he was last year. Of the players you listed, I would want Reinhart. But, he's not going to be available where we're picking. I also think Ceci and Pouliot will be picked before our first round pick is on the clock. So, of guys that could realistically be available, I would take Maatta or Koekkoek, despite his injury.
There's my vote.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Appleyard

I'm all for the moving up in the draft, but unless we can get top 13 I would not want to give the 1st + 2 2nds, as it is entirely possible that Reinhart, Trouba, Dumba, Rielly and Ceci are gone by then, and if one of them is not available, IMO there is no point moving up to 15th ~, as we could get an approximately equal D with the 25th as the 15th, with how deep the D in the draft are.

Maybe put the 2 2nds together for a high second to get say Maata with our first, then it is likely that one of Matheson, Koekkok, Finn or Schmaltz falls to 35~ is it not?

Old
01-12-2012, 02:36 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Olli Maata would be my preference

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Amateur Hour

Matt Finn, por favor. Also, I'd rather keep both our second round picks... this is a deep draft with a lot of talent.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
mirimon

I'm not following the junior hockey that closely, but there's a Finnish d named Ville Pokka, he's been really impressive the few times I've seen him play. If I'd venture a guess about where he'll go in the draft, I'd say middle of the first round somewhere.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Olli Maata would be my preference
Määttä is really good as well. Damn Finns, they'll have a pretty damn solid defense in the WJC the next couple of years. They've also got Rasmus Ristolainen who is draft eligible next year and will be one of the top picks I think.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

I really think we are gonna move our first rounder at the deadline or near there for a Stud D-man. I think we might just be selecting it in 2nd round in this draft like we usually do. Just my opinion of course, but if there is a chance to grab a stud for your first rounder+ you have to do it, if it makes you a contender.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I really think we are gonna move our first rounder at the deadline or near there for a Stud D-man. I think we might just be selecting it in 2nd round in this draft like we usually do. Just my opinion of course, but if there is a chance to grab a stud for your first rounder+ you have to do it, if it makes you a contender.
If we move the first, I want it to be for Weber or Sutter, someone of that caliber, heck, trade a 2nd with it and whatever else it takes! I know that may be greedy but I have a feeling if we move it for any less it will come back to bite us. It is just such a good draft for D to let our first go.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

^Suter and Weber were exactly who I was thinking about.

If we were to select in the draft we most likely select the BPA and it will probably be a center haha. It's very rare that a player with great potential falls beyond the 15th pick let alone down to 25th. I wouldn't mind moving our picks for some studs! No need to develop(like we could anyway!)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:21 PM
JVR21
G

I'd love to see us get Ebert.

Edit: I wasn't aware of his attitude issue. Still, I think it'd be worth the risk with one of the 2nd rounders.

Last edited by JVR21: 01-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Plus he has off-ice issues. Word out of Windsor is he feels entitled and thinks his talent alone will take him to the big show. Apparently he showed up for camp in horrendous shape and it shows in his play thus far and his draft stock steadily dropping.

All the talent, no work ethic and the wrong attitude.

DO NOT want this guy.

Outside of the top 5-10 d-men, there arent many I particularly care for over others.

As much as it is wonderful and great to have Couturier, I almost wish he didnt fall as far as he did because then he'd have never grown on us and we'd be content having picked Dougie Hamilton in that spot

That guy, apprenticing under Chara will be a monster in this league.

However, I am certainly happy we have Couturier, one hell of a player already! Don't take that comment the wrong way.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Plus he has off-ice issues. Word out of Windsor is he feels entitled and thinks his talent alone will take him to the big show. Apparently he showed up for camp in horrendous shape and it shows in his play thus far and his draft stock steadily dropping.

All the talent, no work ethic and the wrong attitude.

DO NOT want this guy.

Outside of the top 5-10 d-men, there arent many I particularly care for over others.

As much as it is wonderful and great to have Couturier, I almost wish he didnt fall as far as he did because then he'd have never grown on us and we'd be content having picked Dougie Hamilton in that spot

That guy, apprenticing under Chara will be a monster in this league.

However, I am certainly happy we have Couturier, one hell of a player already! Don't take that comment the wrong way.
I had Couturier going No.3 in the draft, thought he was the 2nd best guy, but that Landeskog would jump him due to the Mono, at worst that he would go 4th. Therefore I was hoping to high heaven that Hamilton was available, as never thought Coots would drop that far.

In my mind it was RNH, Landeskog, Couturier, Larsson going top 4.

When Huberdeau went third I figured, ahhh, Coots will go 5th, I thought he had no chance of falling to us due to the amount of teams ahead who were looking to draft centers. When it got to the 7th, I had already told my brother it was Coots going to the Peg. Then they drafted Schiefele and I was worried as hell we would not draft Coots! Still can't believe he fell to us.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I had Couturier going No.3 in the draft, thought he was the 2nd best guy, but that Landeskog would jump him due to the Mono, at worst that he would go 4th. Therefore I was hoping to high heaven that Hamilton was available, as never thought Coots would drop that far.

In my mind it was RNH, Landeskog, Couturier, Larsson going top 4.

When Huberdeau went third I figured, ahhh, Coots will go 5th, I thought he had no chance of falling to us due to the amount of teams ahead who were looking to draft centers. When it got to the 7th, I had already told my brother it was Coots going to the Peg. Then they drafted Schiefele and I was worried as hell we would not draft Coots! Still can't believe he fell to us.
Homer couldn't get up to the podium fast enough.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Homer couldn't get up to the podium fast enough.
It was like he was running his team out to snap the ball before the last play could be reviewed. Honestly, hilariously awesome to watch, and the end result couldn't have been better.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Matt Finn, por favor. Also, I'd rather keep both our second round picks... this is a deep draft with a lot of talent.
That's who I hope the Flyers draft as well. He's been on the climb in a similar way that Giroux was when he was drafted. The guy is clutch and he plays well in all situations.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Jtown

The flyers are not in a position to give up more draft picks to target a position.

Now if they have one player in mind who they think is going to be a stud whether its defense or offense then by all means do so.

The flyers dont need a young defenseman, The need prospects. We really have a dearth of NHL caliber talent and it would be nice to add 3 nice pieces instead of putting all of our eggs into one basket.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

trade up and draft reinhart

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The flyers are not in a position to give up more draft picks to target a position.

Now if they have one player in mind who they think is going to be a stud whether its defense or offense then by all means do so.

The flyers dont need a young defenseman, The need prospects. We really have a dearth of NHL caliber talent and it would be nice to add 3 nice pieces instead of putting all of our eggs into one basket.
Please.God.No.

Can we not do the "our prospect pool sucks" game again?

For the love of god, please can we not?