HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Bruins. I'll get a good look at the Rangers tonight though and by the looks of it they are playing some of their best hockey.

Gotta say, it's nice to see the Rangers contending in the East again. Long overdue for an original 6 franchise.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Going to have to go with the Cup Champs on this one.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Just so you are clear, you are saying that Team A, who has a scored 35 more goals than Team B, and hypothetically allowed the same amount of goals, is not clearly better because they've lost 2 more games than Team B.

Easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen on these boards.
You can argue better, but CLEARLY better? Not the Rangers' fault that Boston lost two more close games than the Rangers. In 94 I believe the Devils had a better +/- than the Rangers. Guess who won the president's trophy and the cup beating the other on the way. Were the Devils clearly better?

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 01-12-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom 35 View Post
They're only behind in the standings because of the poor start. You know, that hangover thingy they had after winning the STANLEY CUP?

Rangers are a very good team but you HAVE to give Boston the edge. They have deeper forwards, an All-Star Norris winning defenseman, a two time Vezina/Conn Smythe winner, and they're playing with a $***load of confidence after last years playoff run.

Of course Lundqvist is the key in all this. If he plays at the top of his game they can certainly beat the Bruins.

Looking forward to the 21st.
The Rangers had a poor start too. They went 3-3-3 in their first nine games and looked awful.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You can argue better, but CLEARLY better? Not the Rangers' fault that Boston lost two more close games than the Rangers. In 94 I believe the Devils had a better +/- than the Rangers. Guess who won the president's trophy and the cup betting the other on the way. Were the Devils clearly better?
The Bruins are not the 94 Devils. They are defending champs who look even stronger so far this season.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Syckle78

Bruins.

Rangers have three more points .However, I am have to go with the Bruins because that gaudy goal differential and that they have scored more goals and let in less than the rangers.

And of course they are the champs until someone else is crowned.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
I don't think any team can challenge the Bruins in a 7 game series. It's the best team since the lockout.
I'm not even a Bruins fan but a big fan of their Style!
I think the '10 Chicago Blackhawks, the '06 Anaheim Ducks, and a healthy version of the '09 Wings are better than the Bruins. Honestly, I'd argue that last year's version of the Canucks, if they were playing with at least half the players that were stricken with injury, were better than the Bruins.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I've watched both teams play a lot this year and Boston might be in a class all by themselves in the East...4 Balanced lines, Defense, toughness, goaltending....They have it all.

Bruins by a fairly wide margin.
Rangers have the defense, the toughness and arguably the best goaltending in the NHL. I agree it may be the bruins but to say by a fairly wide margin is ignorant.

01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You can argue better, but CLEARLY better? Not the Rangers' fault that Boston lost two more close games than the Rangers. In 94 I believe the Devils had a better +/- than the Rangers. Guess who won the president's trophy and the cup beating the other on the way. Were the Devils clearly better?
New Jersey had an 18 goal differential higher than the Rangers that year: hardly at all the same considering Boston is at +35 at the halfway mark of the season.

And just because a team wins the cup doesn't mean they are the best team in the league for that season anyway. Injuries happen, goalies get hot, players get hot, players get traded etc.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
HyPnOtiK

Bruins
Flyers
Rangers

In that order.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Bruins
Flyers
Rangers

In that order.
*points at location*

Don't let your homerism shine through.

Bruins are still the champs until dethroned.

Old
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Rags are good but Boston is just in it's own class like others have said. No team can effectively match up with their physicality, they literally bully other teams around.

Old
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I think the '10 Chicago Blackhawks, the '06 Anaheim Ducks, and a healthy version of the '09 Wings are better than the Bruins. Honestly, I'd argue that last year's version of the Canucks, if they were playing with at least half the players that were stricken with injury, were better than the Bruins.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
New Jersey had an 18 goal differential higher than the Rangers that year: hardly at all the same considering Boston is at +35 at the halfway mark of the season.

And just because a team wins the cup doesn't mean they are the best team in the league for that season anyway. Injuries happen, goalies get hot, players get hot, players get traded etc.
Having a better record over 82 games, and winning a best of 7 pretty much proves you're better team that season. Maybe the lower seeded that has the better goal differential should win more close games.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Gotta be Boston until the NYR can prove otherwise.

In a seven game series NYR might be the only team that should be fine matching up physically. Can they get the scoring depth of Boston? That's the real question. Right now the scoring depth is there, but is it going to be consistent? Is it going to be rolling at the right time, in a 7 game series?

Jan 21st is going to be interesting, but I'm more into how these 2 teams would match up over a heavy hitting, massive shot blocking 7 game series.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
How were these teams better? Just look at their goal differential. The Bruins were strong last season, this season they are dominant. Ducks were great but this Bruins team would beat them. I never thought much of the Chicago team, it was more like a perfect storm. Bruins since last season look more like a dynasty. They are getting stronger unlike the teams you listed.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Crease

Bruins get the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
BPD

Series goes to whichever goalie plays the best, imo. They're well matched.

Lets all just look forward to the ECF where we hopefully see the matchup, and the winning team goes on to fall flat on their face as the Nasvhille Predators take advantage of not having been ground into a pulp and win the Cup.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:18 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Don't count out Philly yet, if they get their goaltending in order I see them in the same class as the Bruins and Rangers.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Being a Bostonian I know I'm conditioned to hate teams from New York, but I can't bring myself to do so when it comes to the Rangers. They're just too similar to the B's - tough, big, and play an in your face, intense style. I really respect that team and organization.

That being said, I don't know how anyone can say the B's aren't the favorites to come out of the East right now. a +70 goal differential is just insane, and it's twice as much as NYR to boot.

I watch them play night in and night out and for the last 3 months they've just been annihilating teams. I've honestly never seen anything like it.

All that said, a playoff matchup between these two teams would be epic. I'm really hoping it happens, and if it did, I would say Bruins in 7.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Boston is not very good against NYR. Boston then again is extremely good this year... But so is NYR. Can't wait for January 21st!

Old
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Bruins
Flyers
Rangers

In that order.
Yes, the Flyers, with less points in more games played, are better than the Rangers who have beaten them 3 times in 3 games so far.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Boston is not very good against NYR. Boston then again is extremely good this year... But so is NYR. Can't wait for January 21st!
They haven't even played yet?

Old
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Theon
We are Groot

Rangers fan saying Boston. But we are not that far behind. Anyone else find it odd that the game on the 21st would be their FIRST meeting this season?

Old
01-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Pie O My

I've been pumping the Rangers tires all season on the B's board. They have had the B's number since post lockout and HL usually saves his best for us every game it seems. I was on record last spring as hoping we wouldn't be facing the Rags in the 1st round. Just a bad matchup.

Those saying they like the B's but take out the words "clearly better" are on the right track. 7 game series? Too close to call right now.

Although regular season is reg season and playoffs are playoffs and never the twain shall meet, jan 21st is still important at a 50k foot level. are the 2 teams really on the same level or are the Rangers all HL and decidedly a notch below everywhere else, etc. will the B's be able to impose their will like they have to other teams or not? (i'm thinking not and am expecting at least 2 bouts that day).

Should be interesting. seeing the Rangers on 24/7 and seeing their common humanity certainly doesn't help as far as amping up the hate for them either. . Not for nothing but if we do win a series against them i will legitimately feel bad for that kid with cerebral palsy.

Closed Thread