HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 03:29 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

vCash: 500
boston with a slight edge. they've proven more. i think the rangers match up very well against boston though and it would be an awesome series. i think the rangers biggest problem area would be finding enough secondary scoring. i think boston in a series would use chara and seidenberg to shut down gaborik and the question is can the other lines they have outperform bostons deep attack.

one thing is for sure new york is showing they have a gutsy team that has no issue winning close tight games or coming from behind. important aspect for the playoffs

Old
01-12-2012, 03:29 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Not really on topic, but I'd like to compare NYR vs. Boston matchups in past seasons, but I'm only familiar with the stat page on NHL.com. I know there are other sites where you can get more details - what's the best one?

Old
01-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Affinity

It's Boston but I have no doubts that the Rangers can compete with them in a 7 game series. Both teams have improved since last year and considering the Bruins won the cup I'm giving the edge to them. Can't wait to see these two teams play though

Old
01-12-2012, 03:30 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
Bruins > Leafs > Rangers

lolololololol
Your in the wrong building Jan 21st is no gonna decide anything but i'm looking forward to the game and Thornton will be a factor.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Good officiating in game = Rangers
Bad officiating in game = Bruins

Old
01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
Good officiating in game = Rangers
Bad officiating in game = Bruins
hey look a canuck fan with a veiled whine about officiating and the bruins how original.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
January 21st.
One regular season game is not going to decide anything

Old
01-12-2012, 03:41 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
How were these teams better? Just look at their goal differential. The Bruins were strong last season, this season they are dominant. Ducks were great but this Bruins team would beat them. I never thought much of the Chicago team, it was more like a perfect storm. Bruins since last season look more like a dynasty. They are getting stronger unlike the teams you listed.
Well, this year's version of the Bruins hasn't proven anything yet. Last year's version of the Bruins has a cup but I wonder if all of this crazy scoring depth can keep it up. Last season, they were a damn good team. But are they really this good? I think there are two or three teams, in both Conferences, that can beat them.

Anyways, I think you're really underrating that 2010 Chicago team. Not only did they have guys like Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and Bolland but also had guys like Ladd, Versteeg, Campbell, and Byfuglien, all of whom are top players on their current team.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
JimEIV

Look at the goals for and the goals against in relation to the rest of their conference.

They've scored nearly 30 more goals than the Rangers and allowed almost 10 fewer ....

A class by themselves by fairly large margin.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
One regular season game is not going to decide anything
If the Rangers win, it'll show that we're the stronger team and we'll take the Bruins in the playoffs easily, but if they lose, that game means nothing, it's just a regular season game!

Old
01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Wilhelm Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Best team since lockout would not have to play three 7-game series to win the Cup.

Bruins are not even top3 team since lockout.
Think he's talking about THIS year, not last year.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I'd take The Rangers over Boston in a 7 game series if both teams were equally healthy.

Injuries are the most important thing, the reason the Bruins beat the Nucks is because the Nucks fast players couldn't play effectively against Chara because they were injured so Chara was able to play against the Sedins more often and the Nucks had no counter attack.

The Rangers have a bunch of really fast guys, I think that Lundqvist is a way better goalie than Thomas as well.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd take The Rangers over Boston in a 7 game series if both teams were equally healthy.

Injuries are the most important thing, the reason the Bruins beat the Nucks is because the Nucks fast players couldn't play effectively against Chara because they were injured so Chara was able to play against the Sedins more often and the Nucks had no counter attack.

The Rangers have a bunch of really fast guys, I think that Lundqvist is a way better goalie than Thomas as well.
The Rangers have 1 player responsible for 1/4 of all their goals. You think when Gaborik sees a steady dose of Chara in a 7 game series he is going to produce at the same rate?

Not a chance. That is if he is even healthy by then.

Last edited by JimEIV: 01-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

Nah, with both teams healthy the Rangers don't take the Bruins past 6 games.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
ricky0034

Bruins>>>>>>Rangers

Old
01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Really too bad about the NHL playoff seeding format - if they started today, Rangers/Bruins would be one epic series.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
The Rangers have 1 player responsible for 1/4 of all their goals. You think when Gaborik sees a steady dose of Chara in a 7 game series he is going to produce at the same rate?

Not a chance. That is if he is even healthy by then.
It's closer to 1/5

Bruins scored almost half their goals in 10 games.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
that goal differential is really really astounding, i dont know of any other team that has had one that high.
Something around 1/3rd of their goal differential is made up from beating NYI/TOR.

These are basically the tough teams they've faced so far.

Flyers - lost
Blackhawks - won (shootout)
Sharks - lost
Red Wings - lost (shootout)
Flyers - won
Canucks - lost

Old
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I am curious what other fans think...

I suspect Bruins fans will claim Bruins, Rangers fans will claim Rangers... both have legit arguments.

I think it will be a fantastic game when these 2 fantastic teams meet, I for one cannot wait.

They play a simular style and my bets are on a "real slobber knocker" of a game.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
People need to remover just how badly the Rangers started out offensively. Now that they have settled in, they are scoring much more. We had such horrible struggles earlier in the year. Richards is finally settling in, too.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:31 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Nah, with both teams healthy the Rangers don't take the Bruins past 6 games.
I'm sure you watch a ton of Boston and NYR games to be able to nail it down that well. give me a break

Old
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Islanderfan17

Honestly feel like the Rangers are overachieving so far this season, but they are still a great team. I catch enough Ranger games that I can say they have a chance to beat Boston due to the sole fact that Lundqvist steals more games than any other goaltender in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Honestly feel like the Rangers are overachieving so far this season, but they are still a great team. I catch enough Ranger games that I can say they have a chance to beat Boston due to the sole fact that Lundqvist steals more games than any other goaltender in the NHL.
This is what I'm hoping for, but Thomas is about the roughest goalie to steal a win against. I think the NYR won't have a problem playing up to the physical challenge. Both these teams grind hard, hit hard, take hits to make plays. And the NYR are going to be throwing themselves in front of every shot attempt… i mean they lay out for the shot block in games they're up 4-1.

The scoring depth is worrisome to NYR fans versus Boston. SO yea, the hope is that Lundqvist can negate that scoring depth. But that takes me back to Thomas not being the type of goalie you just "steal" wins against.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Based on what we've seen so far, I'd lean Bruins. However, that big game coming up could change my mind if Rangers come out and dominate.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
JimEIV

Come on man....

The Bruins have scored more goals than anyone in the league and have allowed fewer than anyone in the league. +70 is insane. I'm not trying to take away from anyone else's success but nobody is in their class.

Closed Thread