HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 ACHA Season Topic

Old
11-30-2011, 12:08 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
Not a bad article about the ACHA in general. It's mostly about the experience as a player and the growth of the league. Thought it was a good read, so enjoy.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_arti...errer_id=32760
That was a great read, thanks for sharing.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Not to bump a long-dead topic, but looks like I'm finally going to an ACHA game this year.... though not the Illini.

http://www.chicagoexpresshockey.com/...article_id=267

Chicago Express, an ECHL team in Hoffman Estates, are hosting an game between NIU and DePaul prior to their game on Saturday. Should make for a good day, as you've gotta love double headers.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
How's uofm Dearborn doing with their new coach?

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
WorkingOvertime

vCash: 500
The ACHA DII select team just finished their European tour with a 6-0 record. I don't have a good idea of the teams they played, but it was another good showing by the select team this year.

Here is the story.
http://hockeyyall.com/?p=6335

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Slowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Not to bump a long-dead topic, but looks like I'm finally going to an ACHA game this year.... though not the Illini.

http://www.chicagoexpresshockey.com/...article_id=267

Chicago Express, an ECHL team in Hoffman Estates, are hosting an game between NIU and DePaul prior to their game on Saturday. Should make for a good day, as you've gotta love double headers.
If you like double headers then you'll probably like this.

ACHA Big 10 Tournament

Northwestern is hosting from the 13th through the 16th with a $10 charge for the day. Big 10 teams playing are Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern (all D3) and Iowa (D2 I think). Pretty sure the remaining teams are all D3 or maybe D2.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:

ACHA Big 10 Tournament

Northwestern is hosting from the 13th through the 16th with a $10 charge for the day. Big 10 teams playing are Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern (all D3) and Iowa (D2 I think). Pretty sure the remaining teams are all D3 or maybe D2.
Yeah, but the level of play from ACHA D1 teams is a lot better than division 2 and 3. Much noticeable difference in level of hockey being played. They should have UofM Dearborn in there instead of Flint. I've seen both teams play... and wow there is a big difference between the two. UofM Dearborn isn't even ranked either... get Penn State and Adrian and Oakland in there and you'll have some good hockey.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Policeofficer

does cornell in the ACHA is enough good to play in NCAA D3 ?

Policeofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
Yeah, but the level of play from ACHA D1 teams is a lot better than division 2 and 3. Much noticeable difference in level of hockey being played. They should have UofM Dearborn in there instead of Flint. I've seen both teams play... and wow there is a big difference between the two. UofM Dearborn isn't even ranked either... get Penn State and Adrian and Oakland in there and you'll have some good hockey.
I didn't even know Northwestern had an ACHA team, are they new. ACHA DI (esp at the mid level and top level teams differs a lot in skill level between the ACHA D2 and esp ACHA D3 teams. Although there's some lower level clubs that probably should be playing in ACHA DI and also some horrible ACHA DI programs that should drop down a level or two.

I'm surprised Northwestern isn't a bigger hockey school, with at least an ACHA DI team. Also they'd be a good fit for NCAA DI hockey as well. It's characteristics of being a larger, private university with high academic standards fits with many of the other hockey schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismael8 View Post
does cornell in the ACHA is enough good to play in NCAA D3 ?
No. Cornell's ACHA team should probably be in the list of teams dropping to a lower level of club hockey. ACHA DI is becoming more and more talented with the surplus of Jr. A players compared to the growth of college hockey at the NCAA level. A number of ACHA programs have capitalized on this but the parody between mid and top level teams and the bottom is increasing. I have not seen Cornell play but there schedule looks fairly weak and they've had some big losses. One of the few wins I see on their schedule came 6-5 in a shootout to #21 ranked Rutgers. Their roster demographics look more like an ACHA D2 or D3 club with the vast majority being ex high school players.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:40 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:

ACHA Big 10 Tournament

Very tempting, but I'm damn near broke so literally the only thing I'm spending money on is groceries and gas to go to and from job interviews.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
sbkbghockey

Ted Sator Joins Lindenwood Coaching Staff

Earlier this week, Lindenwood announced the addition of Ted Sator as an assistant coach of the men's ice hockey team. Sator is a long time coach and has over 30 years of coaching experience; including in the NHL, minor pro, European pro, and international tournaments.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...118121201.aspx

Old
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
Earlier this week, Lindenwood announced the addition of Ted Sator as an assistant coach of the men's ice hockey team. Sator is a long time coach and has over 30 years of coaching experience; including in the NHL, minor pro, European pro, and international tournaments.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...118121201.aspx
Not too shabby of a signing.

Honestly mildly surprised that Lindenwood hasn't tried to actually make their men's hockey team an actual NCAA varsity program, tbqh.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Not too shabby of a signing.

Honestly mildly surprised that Lindenwood hasn't tried to actually make their men's hockey team an actual NCAA varsity program, tbqh.
It's been talked about in the past (early 2000s) LU originally wanted to play Men's and Women's DI Ice Hockey while remaining in the NAIA for other sports. In 2009 the university began moving all it's NAIA athletic teams to NCAA DII. A few non-naia programs were also included: field hockey, women's ice hockey (national collegiate), men's and women's lacrosse. Because NCAA men's hockey is not natonal collegiate they're stuck right now with the NCAA banning single sport play-ups. Schools can get an exception waiver to play DI in a single sport where the NCAA does not offer a championship at that school's level (i.e. a DII school wanting to play DI men's hockey) but I believe the school has to be a full NCAA member so LU will have to wait until at least then if they want to move men's hockey.

On that note, there's the possibility of LU moving in a few years and some recent light rumors/talk of Iowa State and Illinois. Kent State is leaving the CSCHL for the GLCHL. If the certain teams do upgrade to NCAA and Kent States move to the GLCHL, that would leave one of the ACHA's historic conferences down to 3 teams with just Ohio, Robert Morris (IL), and Indiana.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Slowe

Quote:
On that note, there's the possibility of LU moving in a few years and some recent light rumors/talk of Iowa State and Illinois. Kent State is leaving the CSCHL for the GLCHL. If the certain teams do upgrade to NCAA and Kent States move to the GLCHL, that would leave one of the ACHA's historic conferences down to 3 teams with just Ohio, Robert Morris (IL), and Indiana.
I've thought about that too. With Kent State heading out, I hope they start looking for a replacement school (or two). No other D1 schools in the area, unless they really want to expand their footprint and bring in Oklahoma or Minot. I doubt it, so I'd assume the next best thing is to look for D2 schools that could move up. Indiana was the most recent. Not sure who might be a good target though. I have no idea what level of support these schools get, but I'd like to see Illinois State, Iowa or Northern Illinois.

Last edited by Slowe: 01-24-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Lindenwood would make sense given their success in the ACHA since they joined and as the school as a whole is transitioning from NAIA to Division II (and are division I in a couple sports as well, if I remember correctly). Would make perfect sense for them to bump up their men's hockey team as well to Division I not only from a program perspective, but from the entire department's outlook as well as a sort of test to see how viable a Division I program truly is for the rest of their sports or if Division II's the way for them to go in everything else.

And as much as I would love to see the Illini jump to Division I in hockey as well, just not happening any time soon. The Big Pond isn't nearly big enough to be a Division I venue and there's nothing on the horizon in regards to constructing a suitable replace, whether it's a basketball/hockey arena to replace the Assembly Hall or as a standalone building just for hockey.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Slowe

Sorry, I meant new D1 ACHA schools. Kent State will move to the Great Lakes Collegiate Hockey league which is mostly Michigan based schools. I guess it makes sense for them since it will cut down on the travel. So as of next season the Central States Collegiate Hockey league will be: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Robert Morris, Lindenwood, and Iowa State. That's a pretty wide geographic region. There are a TON of ACHA D2 schools in Illinois with plenty of others in the surrounding area. I'd imagine at least one or two could move up to ACHA D1 to help fill out the league. I just have no idea who.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Slowe

Quote:
I'm surprised Northwestern isn't a bigger hockey school, with at least an ACHA DI team. Also they'd be a good fit for NCAA DI hockey as well. It's characteristics of being a larger, private university with high academic standards fits with many of the other hockey schools.
I don't remember where I read it, but I thought Northwestern actually had a hard time getting players. I checked on the ACHA website and they were D2 until 08-09. I couldn't find any info on a team even existing for 09-10. Then 10-11 and 11-12 they are listed as a D3 team. On the club team's site in the news section, it says they were previously playing in a rink in Highland Park, which is a little ways from Evanston. The 10-11 season was the first year they moved to an Evanston rink. Kinda tough to get support when you don't play near the campus.

My guess is the program was off campus, not being organized and run that well, had a hard time making money, then dwindled and faded out in 09-10. Just a complete guess though. Either way, after no team I'd bet they had to start back at D3 until they can work their way up. Hockey in the Chicago area is big, so you'd think Northwestern would be a good school for it. The school's expensive as hell though, so to add paying for hockey on top of that has gotta be tough.

Last edited by Slowe: 01-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Policeofficer

This week the Cornell University (ACHA ) are going to play against a team from Quebec.

Team Ulysse Prep ( 15-16-17-18 years old )
against

Cornell University

It could be a realy good test for these young guys

Old
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
This week the Cornell University (ACHA ) are going to play against a team from Quebec.

Team Ulysse Prep ( 15-16-17-18 years old )
against

Cornell University

It could be a realy good test for these young guys
Not really... that team sounds familiar, I think they used to be in one of the independent Jr leagues like the IJHL. back when I played a few years ago our ACHA DII team destroyed one of the indy jr. teams. Cornell isn's a strong ACHA DI team but they should be able to roll over Ulysse. Those leagues call themselves "jr. A" but they're unregulated and most teams in those leagues have Jr. C or lower talent.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Policeofficer

Someone knows the final score ?

Old
02-11-2012, 07:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Not I.

Sadly, I just haven't been able to pay much attention to the ACHA this year, as a combo of various personal and work matters and focusing on the NHL, AHL, and ECHL as it is.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Policeofficer

Quote:
Not really... that team sounds familiar, I think they used to be in one of the independent Jr leagues like the IJHL. back when I played a few years ago our ACHA DII team destroyed one of the indy jr. teams. Cornell isn's a strong ACHA DI team but they should be able to roll over Ulysse. Those leagues call themselves "jr. A" but they're unregulated and most teams in those leagues have Jr. C or lower talent.

I know that Cornell is not a big team in ACHA but it's nice to see a very younger team against a older formation

Old
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Policeofficer

Quote:
Ulysse win 9-2 against Cornell

Old
02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Ulysse win 9-2 against Cornell
What happened there? I knew Cornell wasn't a strong ACHA DI team but thought they'd be able to pull out a win against a team of Ulysse's level. Either Ulysse got better than a few years ago in the indy jr. league, Cornell is way worse than I thought, or Cornell didn't try, rested their big players, or just didn't prepare for the exh. well.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
sbkbghockey

Tournament Approaching

http://achahockey.org/news.php?news_..._id=1059&lang=

With the 2012 ACHA DI Tournament approaching in March seven teams already have auto-bids to Strongsville, OH.
  1. Kent State (Host)
  2. CSCHL - Lindenwood
  3. ECHL - Mercyhurst
  4. ECHA - Drexel
  5. NECHL - Rutgers
  6. CHMA - West Virginia
  7. GLCHL - Oakland

Old
02-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Policeofficer

Quote:
What happened there? I knew Cornell wasn't a strong ACHA DI team but thought they'd be able to pull out a win against a team of Ulysse's level. Either Ulysse got better than a few years ago in the indy jr. league, Cornell is way worse than I thought, or Cornell didn't try, rested their big players, or just didn't prepare for the exh. well.

Hmmm Ulysse is pretty strong this year they beat Monroe College ( Really near to be a NCAA D3 team) 2-1 during this season..... one player of Ulysse says to me after that the game that the caliber of cornell was really bad and the player was 16 .....