HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Galchenyuk makes me nervous. Missing a season might mean nothing, but it might have seriously warped his development. We don't know.

He should still be high up on the boards, but I'd put him behind Forsberg because of that. Still a top 5 guy for us considering we need to come out of this draft with forwards.
If you take a guy like him it has to be a high risk high reward, like if we have the 15th pick ot something...unless he comes back and looks strong at playoff time.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Mikhail Grigorenko is still the prospect we should target the most in this draft. He is everything we need. But if he's not available, Alex Galchenyuk is definitely the player we should draft. Brett Connolly did only play 16 games and it didn't stop him from being pick 6th overall. And also, Galchenyuk is a much better prospect than Connolly.
The three players who were taken 7-9 are Skinner, Burmistrov and Granlund. IMO, the Connolly pick doesn't look great in hindsight.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The three players who were taken 7-9 are Skinner, Burmistrov and Granlund. IMO, the Connolly pick doesn't look great in hindsight.
Who's skinner, burmistrov, and granlund this year?

Old
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If you take a guy like him it has to be a high risk high reward, like if we have the 15th pick ot something...unless he comes back and looks strong at playoff time.
Galchenyuk will be a top 5-6 pick regardless of his injury situation. Highly unlikely anyone has a shot at him outside the top 10.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Galchenyuk will be a top 5-6 pick regardless of his injury situation. Highly unlikely anyone has a shot at him outside the top 10.
I only see him going that high if he gets back on skates and shows he is "back".

Old
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Who's skinner, burmistrov, and granlund this year?
Ha, that's the game! I wish I knew. Maybe they are dmen?

I just have some trepidation about long term injuries. IMO healthy players are less likely to have bumps in the road in their progression going forward. I remember Cody Hodgson being considered a can't-miss star before he got hurt.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Ha, that's the game! I wish I knew. Maybe they are dmen?
They are, and that's kind of the problem.

Quote:
I just have some trepidation about long term injuries. IMO healthy players are less likely to have bumps in the road in their progression going forward. I remember Cody Hodgson being considered a can't-miss star before he got hurt.
Cody Hodgson is no joke, either. IMO, having a prospect like him would be very good.

If Galchenyuk comes back and sucks the big one in the playoffs, then I agree, don't pick him.

...I just don't see that happening. If he comes back and plays like a 16 year old...well he's still better than almost all the 18 year olds this year.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Cody Hodgson is no joke, either. IMO, having a prospect like him would be very good.

If Galchenyuk comes back and sucks the big one in the playoffs, then I agree, don't pick him.

...I just don't see that happening. If he comes back and plays like a 16 year old...well he's still better than almost all the 18 year olds this year.
I would love to pro Hodgson away from vancouver for a couple veterans...that would be a good place and value for Cammalleri instead of trading him just for no good reason.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
I'm talking about the fact that Connolly was taken that high even though he didn't play that much games during his draft year. AK46 too..taken 10th overall. So, it really depends on the team's projection of that player. Glachenyuk is much more skilled than Burmistrov and Connolly. And in this year's draft class, there aren't a lot of high end forwards.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Is it? It would be convenient to add a top forward prospect. But, if we can draft a future top pairing dman, who is better than Beaulieu and Tinordi, is that a problem? Trading a surplus of young, NHL ready dmen for team needs, should it get to that point, is not so difficult. We saw an example recently, with the Turris/Rundblad trade.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Is it? It would be convenient to add a top forward prospect. But, if we can draft a future top pairing dman, who is better than Beaulieu and Tinordi, is that a problem? Trading a surplus of young, NHL ready dmen for team needs, should it get to that point, is not so difficult. We saw an example recently, with the Turris/Rundblad trade.
It is necessary to add a top forward prospect. If we pick up a second first round pick, then absolutely, pick up someone like Koekkoek, or Ceci would be fine.

This is our year to get a top offensive forward in our system. Maybe a couple if Gauthier's got the sack to do it.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It is necessary to add a top forward prospect. If we pick up a second first round pick, then absolutely, pick up someone like Koekkoek, or Ceci would be fine.

This is our year to get a top offensive forward in our system. Maybe a couple if Gauthier's got the sack to do it.
If you start drafting for need you could end up with another Giroux-Fischer situation.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
If you start drafting for need you could end up with another Giroux-Fischer situation.
Except there's no one with 106 points sitting behind him, and Galchenyuk isn't a flawed defenseman with a ****** attitude.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Except there's no one with 106 points sitting behind him, and Galchenyuk isn't a flawed defenseman with a ****** attitude.
What?

Old
01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
What?
Sorry, 103 points.

Bringing up the Fischer-Giroux point is just a bad argument: multiple teams seemed to know what we didn't with Fischer. It wasn't a case of drafting for need. It was a case of making a really bad pick.

You might as well say "don't draft in a ****** way."

Galchenyuk isn't Fischer.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Sorry, 103 points.

Bringing up the Fischer-Giroux point is just a bad argument: multiple teams seemed to know what we didn't with Fischer. It wasn't a case of drafting for need. It was a case of making a really bad pick.

You might as well say "don't draft in a ****** way."

Galchenyuk isn't Fischer.
Not at all, it's a case of drafting for need and taking a player before he should be drafted.

In the first round you take the best player available, period. If you go looking for a specific position or type of player you end up gambling when you shouldn't. BPA is not guaranteed and there will still be busts, but at that point in the draft that's the best strategy.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Not at all, it's a case of drafting for need and taking a player before he should be drafted.

In the first round you take the best player available, period. If you go looking for a specific position or type of player you end up gambling when you shouldn't. BPA is not guaranteed and there will still be busts, but at that point in the draft that's the best strategy.
Who is better than Galchenyuk at 7 right now?

Old
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
le_sean

Problem with Fischer is he was the BPA to just one of our scouts. A lot of trust was put on that pick.

What the Habs need to do is pick the consensus BPA in the first round, then rely on scouting the get steals later. These first round players have been scouted by many people for years, it should often be a no brainer, especially in the Top 10.

i.e. It would be nice to get Galchenyuk, but Dumba has a higher ceiling, so you need to pick him. Deal with the surplus if it ever becomes an issue. At worst you might have 3 fantastic defencemen on your team with ELCs. Then you're laughing.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Who is better than Galchenyuk at 7 right now?
Somebody who is healthy if he isn't.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Problem with Fischer is he was the BPA to just one of our scouts. A lot of trust was put on that pick.

What the Habs need to do is pick the consensus BPA in the first round, then rely on scouting the get steals later. These first round players have been scouted by many people for years, it should often be a no brainer, especially in the Top 10.

i.e. It would be nice to get Galchenyuk, but Dumba has a higher ceiling, so you need to pick him. Deal with the surplus if it ever becomes an issue. At worst you might have 3 fantastic defencemen on your team with ELCs. Then you're laughing.
For us to draft a player in round 1 I'm sure mutliple scouts plus the head scout would have seen him. For CHL players the GM would ahve probably seen him also.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I didn't think you'd have an answer. I'm saying that, even if he was injured, I don't think there is a BetterPA.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
For us to draft a player in round 1 I'm sure mutliple scouts plus the head scout would have seen him. For CHL players the GM would ahve probably seen him also.
You really think so? Maybe video clips, but I seem to recall something about lot of weight being put on that one scout in Minnesota. I'm sure several teams had watched him play, but how often do you think they make a trip to a High School game?

It just seems like one person probably really pushed for it, said it could be the steal of the draft and it ends up blowing up in our faces. I mean really, a Minnesota High School league? How can you honestly tell if they are a Top 30 17/18 year old in the entire world?

Old
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
You're letting his injury cloud your judgement way too much.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
You're letting his injury cloud your judgement way too much.
Having a devastating injury at 17 if a pretty serious thing. You lose a year of important development.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Having a devastating injury at 17 if a pretty serious thing. You lose a year of important development.
That's fine, but not every GM and head scout thinks the way you do. Someone will take a chance on him and it'll likely be in the top 5.

Closed Thread