HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Misc Broadcasting: MTG deal valued at $50 MM; Comcast signed activation deal for WC

Old
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Misc Broadcasting: MTG deal valued at $50 MM; Comcast signed activation deal for WC

While searching for some other info today, I came across this info from Sports Business Daily. It's possible that someone buried this info in a bigger thread.

Quote:
NHL's Int'l TV Deal With Modern Times Group Valued At More Than $50M

Published October 21, 2011
Font Size Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large | Print | Share |

The NHLís five-year pact with broadcaster Modern Times Group that includes TV rights in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark "is valued at more than $50 million," according to Sam Mamudi of MARKETWATCH.com. The deal is the "largest of several the NHL has struck in recent weeks, as it negotiates its international rights." The NHL "has also sealed deals in France, the U.K., Spain and the Czech-Slovak market." The international push "isnít just on television." More than 20% of the NHLís digital audience "is from outside North America, and earlier this month it launched six local-language official websites in Russian, Czech, Finnish, German, Swedish and Slovak." A seventh, in French, is "due to launch by the end of the month." The sites "offer typical NHL.com content, but also focus on native players, with video interviews conducted in their own language, tailored highlights packages and localized versions of player pages." Each site "also has local writers."
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...px?hl=NHL&sc=0

Quote:
Comcast Signs Deal With NHL That Allows Activation At And Around Winter Classic

By Fred Dreier, Staff Writer, SportsBusiness Journal
Published December 29, 2011

Comcast has signed a one-year renewal with the NHL that allows the cable giant activation rights at and around the '12 Bridgestone Winter Classic. The deal is separate from Comcast/NBCís 10-year U.S. television distribution deal with the NHL. Terms of the deal were not available. Com...
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...r-Classic.aspx

Anyone with insight into how the activation rights work, please expand.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
What is activation rights?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." ó -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
While searching for some other info today, I came across this info from Sports Business Daily. It's possible that someone buried this info in a bigger thread.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...px?hl=NHL&sc=0

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...r-Classic.aspx

Anyone with insight into how the activation rights work, please expand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
What is activation rights?
A quick Google of "broadcast activation rights" comes up with a Google Books result - which sadly, you can't cut and paste from:

Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing
By Mark Dodds, Linda E. Swayne

It looks like "activation" is the promotion of the sponsorship by both sides - advertising by the sponsor and support by the League (ie use of team uniform, logos, and other trademarked IP, use of copyrighted footage, and use of players in uniform in advertising).

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
sh724

Its a different sport and all but this might help

http://www.sportzpower.com/?q=conten...s-home-matches

"I-League clubs have been given permission to take on ground sponsor activation rights, eg, presence of cheer leaders, fans meet and greet player before a match, etc."

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Brand activation is basically a type of direct marketing. Comcast probably had booths in and around the stadium to give out SWAG, hold contests, maybe do demos, etc.

It's what I did as an intern for a Chicago radio station 2 summers ago.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 01-12-2012 at 12:17 AM.
IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

I guess I meant specifically, why does Comcast/NBC need to sign an annual deal when they have a 10 yr deal with the NHL?

From what I can surmise from the encyclopaedic definition, this would be a broadcast sponsorship activation-- linking NHL logos/properties with NBC, whereby NBC takes out the ads to promote the linkage.

There was mention in the announcement of the original agreement that some portion of the contract value would be sponsorship activations.

(As an aside, I love when you find the definition of something that has to use the word its defining to describe what it is--- so does anyone really know? )

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I guess I meant specifically, why does Comcast/NBC need to sign an annual deal when they have a 10 yr deal with the NHL?
Because this way the NHL can make more money off them.

Their deal to broadcast games doesn't include the right to promote themselves to attendees of the Winter Classic. So they signed an agreement to allow them to do that.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote