HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Howard Stern

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
You can not be a regular listener to a show and know what it's all about.

Kinda like the old addage of when you see dog crap on the ground, do you taste it to know it's not good to eat?

In the end it doesn't really matter who listens to it and who doesn't. I am more curious to see what "happens" from this point on. To him, to the market and to radio as we've known it so far.

Old
12-18-2005, 05:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sirius expects to have 3 million subscribers by the end of this year.When Howard signed his deal with Sirius 12-13 months ago,Sirius had 600,000 subscribers.He will program two channels-H100 and H101.The fan round table and tissue time with Heidi are both terrific programs currently available on H100

Old
12-18-2005, 10:07 AM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
What confuses me is the people in this thread who seem to know so much about the show, but say they don't listen to or like it.
There's a major difference between "don't listen to" and "never listened to". Don't get them confused. The people your referring to in this thread have made intelligent and valid criticisms that explain their opinions. I used to love Stern so much in the 80s that I repeatedly gave him chances to win me back. For weeks at a time I'd listen, waiting for that moment when he would make fun of something in a way that was funny and different. It never happened for me - except once in a while when I'd catch the end of the show and he'd go off on one of Robin's news items. In fact, recently, when he's not talking about farts and sex, most of his commentary on current events have become simple Limbaugh or Hannity-esque tirades with a political agenda. That's just not funny. If that's what he wants to do I'm sure 770 or 880 or something would be gald to play his show. When the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction happened he could have made it funny and instead he went ape$hit on Bush and congress without any hint of sarcasm or wit.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:54 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdflynn1
Anyone make it down there, giev a post or 2 on what the scene was like. I streamed his speech via Yahoo, kind of impressed with Yahho covering this but, I digress. I know he has those that dislike him, but I am a fan and I wish him luck at Sirius.

BTW..Artie Lang is a slob.
He stinks and I don't like him.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Sirius expects to have 3 million subscribers by the end of this year.When Howard signed his deal with Sirius 12-13 months ago,Sirius had 600,000 subscribers.He will program two channels-H100 and H101.The fan round table and tissue time with Heidi are both terrific programs currently available on H100
OnA have alredy done "Tissue Time with Beth and Allison".

Hoo-hoo is a bit too late.

Old
12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
There's a major difference between "don't listen to" and "never listened to". Don't get them confused.
It seems that the former is making assessments about the show that aren't correct. If you don't know the impact that Janet Jackson had on the show, then that only proves my point. It would be like me watching 10 minutes of a Ranger game, then doing a blanket review of it as if I had watched all 60 minutes.

I can understand not liking the show, but I can't understand belittling it because it's not the same show it was in 1985. If you don't like it, who cares? Just change the station.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:05 PM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
I can understand not liking the show, but I can't understand belittling it because it's not the same show it was in 1985. If you don't like it, who cares? Just change the station.
I did! And I don't think I'm belittling the show - just saying he went in a direction that I didn't like and that wasn't really funny - outrageous perhaps, but not funny. To me, funny is "ha ha" and not "wow, I can't believe what they're talking about!" Some people go for stuff that's outrageous just for the sake of being outrageous - not me.

Anyway. I definitely don't understand the impact the Janet Jackson thing had on the show. Maybe someone could explain it to me because I think it's not quite so obvious. I mean, he may have been fined more $$$ by the FCC, but it didn't seem to get in the way of him having one of the most expensive apartments in Manhattan. And it didn't appear that his job was as in jeopardy as he made it sound - in fact, he was the only one who thought so from all I could tell at the time. Top-rated shows, when they are at that level that he had reached, are given a LOT of leeway.

Stern was an FCC target way before that Janet thing happened. And in the 80s and part of the 90s he did shows that were funny without always resorting to things that the FCC would come down on him for. I remember tuning in to his show as soon as the wardrobe malfunction happened because I thought for sure he'd do something funny about it and all he did was go political. It's just a demonstration of how he and his show changed over time. I think the FCC probably wore him out to the point where he had a hard time NOT being political, but that's a major change in direction from what he'd been doing for decades before.

Old
12-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
It seems that the former is making assessments about the show that aren't correct. If you don't know the impact that Janet Jackson had on the show, then that only proves my point. It would be like me watching 10 minutes of a Ranger game, then doing a blanket review of it as if I had watched all 60 minutes.

www.opieanthony.net
www.wackbag.com

there are places that keep tabs on howie and report back to the public who doesnt feel like sitting thru 4 hours of fart sounds and FCC biatching.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
OnA have alredy done "Tissue Time with Beth and Allison".

Hoo-hoo is a bit too late.
Oh stop it...the King of All Media invented everything...including WOW, the now defunct Assault On The Media, Sex For Sam, and the Homeless Shopping Spree. In fact, I bet you didn't know that he also invented daughters overdosing on dru...oops...almost let that one slip.

ONA Party Rock.

Old
12-19-2005, 06:19 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
Oh stop it...the King of All Media invented everything...including WOW, the now defunct Assault On The Media, Sex For Sam, and the Homeless Shopping Spree. In fact, I bet you didn't know that he also invented daughters overdosing on dru...oops...almost let that one slip.

ONA Party Rock.
Effff OnA - if it werent for Howard re-inventing radio and giving them their inspiration, they would be working as petroleum transfer engineers. Yes. Pumping Gas.

Old
12-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I started listening to Stern towards the end of 1998 so I don't really know how edgy he was back in the day. I find him very funny especially with Artie on the show. F Jackie.

Old
12-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Effff OnA - if it werent for Howard re-inventing radio and giving them their inspiration, they would be working as petroleum transfer engineers. Yes. Pumping Gas.

Actually, they would be knockin tin somewhere out in Valley Stream.

And its not as if hoo-hoo invented jack. People like Imus and a few others were doing agressive radio long before he came along. true, not to the level of depravity that howie did, but thats simple evolution. Howie is simply another rung in the ladder.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 12-19-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old
12-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
www.opieanthony.net
www.wackbag.com

there are places that keep tabs on howie and report back to the public who doesnt feel like sitting thru 4 hours of fart sounds and FCC biatching.
Why would anyone want to? If you're a fan, you listen. If you're not, you don't. It's a goofy radio show, not something you're going to be quizzed on later and better study up for.

Old
12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Re-invent radio? How could he have re-invented radio...it was already invented?

Howard was the first talk radio host to do extremely edgy stuff, though one could say that Imus was before him. But that doesn't matter...cuz Howie doesn't like Imus, so Imus must be evil. But, you're right, Howie did inspire alot of people to go into radio, including Opie and Anthony. They've even admitted it. But then to find out that the guy they've idolized and adored for so many years turns out to be a whiny, self-important jackass kinda took the thunder out of it all. All Howie cares about is himself and his bank account. And all the power to him...he signed a HUGE contract with a struggling, unproven satellite radio company and will only have to be there for 4 days a week, with 10 weeks + holidays off. Ya gotta applaud the guy. Had he pocketed all $100 million a year (which I'm sure he'll pocket most of it), he would make $625,000 per show!!!

Not a bad payday for a 'common man'.

Old
12-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
There's a major difference between "don't listen to" and "never listened to". Don't get them confused. The people your referring to in this thread have made intelligent and valid criticisms that explain their opinions. I used to love Stern so much in the 80s that I repeatedly gave him chances to win me back. For weeks at a time I'd listen, waiting for that moment when he would make fun of something in a way that was funny and different. It never happened for me - except once in a while when I'd catch the end of the show and he'd go off on one of Robin's news items. In fact, recently, when he's not talking about farts and sex, most of his commentary on current events have become simple Limbaugh or Hannity-esque tirades with a political agenda. That's just not funny. If that's what he wants to do I'm sure 770 or 880 or something would be gald to play his show. When the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction happened he could have made it funny and instead he went ape$hit on Bush and congress without any hint of sarcasm or wit.

Maybe you're sense of humor might have changed because I've been listening for years and almost every day I laugh. Either we're being too nastalgic or Howard's brand of humor just isn't your cup or tea anymore. Regardless he still makes millions of people laugh so I dont think he's lost his touch or become some kind of diva. As for your Rush/Hannity comparison, I think your insane. I've listened too both of those fools and Howard isn't even in the same ballpark. Howard's goal is just to make the morning commute for the common slob (like me) more pleasent than just sitting in a car in traffic. He'd rather have people sitting in traffic and laughing. Rush & Hannity have a sick twisted agenda/view on politics and are merely just talking heads ranting about right-wing nonsense. As for his rants after the Janet Jackson thing, Stern has a personal issue with the government in terms of sensorship. Everytime the govt. does something with regards to sensorship it directly affects him and he's going to speak his mind about it. And his critisms at the time were right, our government has alot more better things too do than spend days *****ing about a boob that was shown on TV for half a second. But regardless of what you think about that particular incident, comparing Stern to Hannity or Rush is wrong. He doesn't run a political talk show, he does comedy and speaks his mind (sometimes politics comes up).

Old
12-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Howard's goal is just to make the morning commute for the common slob (like me) more pleasent than just sitting in a car in traffic..
Which part do you most relate to, the drinking sea-breezes in the hamptons or hanging out at Nobu with your supermodel girlfriend?

Old
12-21-2005, 11:30 AM
swampdevil

ive listened to stern since the wnbc days,but the show is not worth paying for so goodbye and good luck howie.
Besides, i can get my "shock jock"fix with opie and anthony for free on directv.Heard a bit of homeless xmas shopping spree yesterday.

Old
12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdevil
ive listened to stern since the wnbc days,but the show is not worth paying for so goodbye and good luck howie.
Besides, i can get my "shock jock"fix with opie and anthony for free on directv.Heard a bit of homeless xmas shopping spree yesterday.
That was radio gold the other day!! I wish I had been up there at the mall. I was at the Homeless Shopping Spree 2 at Roosevelt Field Mall a few years back, and that was total mayhem. A few stores would literally pull their gates down as soon as the homeless walked by. One of the homeless guys...I think it was RockNRoll Tommy, just went to the bar with Stinky and spent his $100 on alcohol.

It's all great to listen to...but hey, we all know Howie invented everything...so you know, O+A stole that from him. Tell'em Fred...hoo...hoo!!!

Old
12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
JCProdigy

Guys let it go already....why is that whenever Howard Stern is mentioned on message boards on the internet or even in normal conversation, that you have a bunch of O+A fans come in and blather on about everything anti-howard? It's sad really. Some people like OnA, others like Stern and even others like both. Nobody's wrong for listening to what entertains them.

Closed Thread