HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O'Boyle Rules (the Brian Boyle predicament)

Old
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Boyle can't bury chances, but he was far from the problem.

Richards, based on expectations has been a steaming pile of crap for a long time now, I don't get how he constantly avoids blame.
Richards just got dumped. I'll give him a pass for tonight.

Are you forgetting his 6 GWG? I think you're being a bit harsh, no?

As for me, I'm getting tired of both Boyle and Anisimov. I wouldn't mind seeing them moved. I like them, but I've seen enough.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Richards constantly avoids blame because he's been arguably the biggest reason Callahan is on pace for 60 points.

Boyle has not made Hagelin and Fedotenko better.

And I agree to an extent- the entire team sucked for large stretches of tonight. But Boyle got more ice time then Callahan, Gaborik AND Richards. They didn't suck bad enough to get displaced by Brian Boyle.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Have you seen Karlson's numbers? Before tonight he had 41 points in 43 games (now 43 points in 44 games) and is leading all defensemen in points. Everyone is losing battles against him.
Two years ago on this board, I was talking about Karlsson in a Rangers GDT. Another poster got pissed at me because I talked about how talented he was. At first, his defensive shortcomings were very apparent. This year, he has improved and the whole team has improved enough that his offensive plus outweighs his defensive failings. He is going to be a star for a long time.

Edit: Bryan Murray does know how to draft, that much is clear.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Two years ago on this board, I was talking about Karlsson in a Rangers GDT. Another poster got pissed at me because I talked about how talented he was. At first, his defensive shortcomings were very apparent. This year, he has improved and the whole team has improved enough that his offensive plus outweighs his defensive failings. He is going to be a star for a long time.
Karlsson is a stud. It's ridiculous.

Turris was also flying tonight. Guess the trade saved him, too.

Not only that, but Spezza is (and always has been) a very dynamic center. I would take Spezza on this team in a heartbeat, and i've argued that here before.

That Ottawa team needs a goaltender who can perform as well as Anderson has been in this 8 game stretch, except consistently. They're going to be a filthy team.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:07 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

A 6 foot 7 245 pound man should not be consistently losing board battles. That is pathetic.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
A 6 foot 7 245 pound man should not be consistently losing board battles. That is pathetic.
I can't believe how often and how easily he falls down.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:15 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Richards just got dumped. I'll give him a pass for tonight.

Are you forgetting his 6 GWG? I think you're being a bit harsh, no?

As for me, I'm getting tired of both Boyle and Anisimov. I wouldn't mind seeing them moved. I like them, but I've seen enough.
Love his GWG, his leadership, and his guidance with young guys like Del Zotto.

But he was brought here to be a top center, playmaker and power play quarterback, all of which he has sucked miserably at. His passing is awful, and he looks like he's skating in mud. That last great pass I remember was the no-looker to Girardi on the power play. Every other pass he has made has been very very average. Callahan looks like a better playmaker thus far this season.

He's essentially been invisible the past 20 or so games, showing up to score a timely goal. That's decent, but it's not good enough, not by a long shot.

Stepan has vastly outplayed him, the number do not show it but DStep has been our #1 center this season.

I'm VERY happy with the team, and this is not a heat of the moment thing. Richards has been getting on my nerves for quite awhile now. 7 points in his last 15 games, 2 assists. Terrible.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:30 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Karlsson is a stud. It's ridiculous.

Turris was also flying tonight. Guess the trade saved him, too.

Not only that, but Spezza is (and always has been) a very dynamic center. I would take Spezza on this team in a heartbeat, and i've argued that here before.

That Ottawa team needs a goaltender who can perform as well as Anderson has been in this 8 game stretch, except consistently. They're going to be a filthy team.
I totally agree. I am completely in awe of the job Bryan Murray has done. I laughed at him when he signed Gonchar, but when you look at things, I bet he is one step ahead and is already trying to figure out how to get that conistent goaltender. He cannot be faulted for letting Elliott go, really. Elliott's success is in large part due to that smothering system in front of him, engineered by Hitchcock.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'm not blaming this loss on Boyle, but he needs his time reduced or he needs to be shipped out.

Preferably, I'd take someone with a little size and a lot more speed and heart than Boyle.

I don't think we'll be seeing another 20 goal 30 point season from BB again.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
smoneil

Quote:
There IS no predicament, besides the great BM reference.

He's a 4th liner who Torts plays too much. I love Torts, but that's been one of his weaknesses this season. Boyle is not going to succeed when he's expected to bring offense and stop top lines because more often then not that's not who he is. Let him go against 2nd and 3rd liners, protect his ice time more, let him PK, and he'll be a beneficial part of this team. As a FOURTH LINER.

THAT'S the only problem- his defense is NOT deteriorating (really? 09/10 Boyle was a completely useless waste of space, this Boyle is decent defensively and is a good PKer) Put him where he should be.

He's starting to become this seasons whipping boy because he had a fluke year last year.

Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Richie-Cally
Hags-Arty-Feds
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Bam, no more relying on Boyle to score 20 goals again.
I pretty much agree with all of this, though I do have two concerns:

1- Wolski won't be long for this team, and I just don't see him being able to contribute to the team's style over any consistent stretch of games (ie- we need a rental LW for the top line, without giving up too much).

2- While I LOVE the idea of a Hagelin, AA, Feds 3rd line (finally a 3rd line made up of 3rd liners, rather than two fourth lines), how will Torts resolve the "AA sucks at face-offs" problem? It wasn't an issue last year, because Dubi took most of his important draws. AA really needs to address that glaring weakness in his game, as I honestly think it's the only thing holding him back from being one of the better 3rd line C's in the league.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hagelin's shoulders must be killing him from carrying Boyle all night. Boyle was terrible. Hagelin was frikkin spectacular, Fedotenko was superb. Boyle held that line back imho. Guy like Dubinsky would look great between those 2 guys.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

He's useless.

I don't know why Torts plays him so much, especially on the PP. The fact that he missed wide on a shot in the crease basically, is pathetic. He was FIRST in TOI tonight for forwards. Im all for scratching him when Dubi is healthy and leaving Wolski in.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Boyle played well tonight. Do you really expect him to score? The real problem were the "top" guys
Agree. Not scoring and not playing well are not the same thing.

Boyle played a good game. This isn't a video game. He didn't score. That's the extent of it.

His work down low, on the puck, around the net, were very good. His defensive play was very good.

His faceoff were bad. Not finishing his chances was unfortunate.

Wolski was bad. Wolski is dumb as **** and lazy. That's why he was benched in the third.

Boyle outplayed most of the team.

People want a scapegoat and are looking at the wrong guy.

Did Gaborik score? Richards? Callahan? Stepan? Anisimov? Anisimov's bad decision led to the first goal against.

Boyle, Hagelin, Fedetenko, and Prust were the most effective forwards tonight. And they shouldn't be expected to carry the load. They're depth.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:17 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Agree. Not scoring and not playing well are not the same thing.

Boyle played a good game. This isn't a video game. He didn't score. That's the extent of it.

His work down low, on the puck, around the net, were very good. His defensive play was very good.

His faceoff were bad. Not finishing his chances was unfortunate.

Wolski was bad. Wolski is dumb as **** and lazy. That's why he was benched in the third.

Boyle outplayed most of the team.

People want a scapegoat and are looking at the wrong guy.

Did Gaborik score? Richards? Callahan? Stepan? Anisimov? Anisimov's bad decision led to the first goal against.

Boyle, Hagelin, Fedetenko, and Prust were the most effective forwards tonight. And they shouldn't be expected to carry the load. They're depth.
I think this thread is more about Boyle getting close to 20 min. of ice time with being the top playing forward. No one is expecting him to be a top goal scorer.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Still don't figure how Wolski was outplayed by Boyle. Or how Boyle was good.

His work down low was good. Fantastic, didn't stop the other team from taking it back down the ice against his line and scoring.

Boyle whiffed on good chances, got scored on when he was on the ice, and also because i'm mad at him i'm gonna say he somehow deflected blame off himself when everyone was saying Arty gaffe'd on the first goal (not Arty's fault Boyle doesn't know how to handle a ****ing pass.) Arty passed it to him and what does Boyle do? What he usually does, **** up the pass and not do anything productive with it.

He did nothing to warrant the minutes he got (and gets), yet he got them (and gets them, and probably will continue to get them sadly.)

Old
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Hagelin's shoulders must be killing him from carrying Boyle all night. Boyle was terrible. Hagelin was frikkin spectacular, Fedotenko was superb. Boyle held that line back imho. Guy like Dubinsky would look great between those 2 guys.
Thank you. Hags and Feds were doing EVERYTHING on that line. Boyle just ****ed up scoring chances all night.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brian Boyle just missed again.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Brian Boyle is not a major issue for this team. The Rangers don't have many flaws, but they do have a couple of far greater issues than Boyle. That said, he's an average 4th line player who is decent defensively, but he drags down far better players like Fedotenko and Hagelin. Boyle is the least valuable player on the team when the likes of Woywitka and Christensen are not dressing.

Next season, I suspect Boyle will either no longer be here, or be relegated to 4th line minutes. I like his locker room presence, but I would not care in the slightest if he was moved. It's not a big loss on the ice.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I think this thread is more about Boyle getting close to 20 min. of ice time with being the top playing forward. No one is expecting him to be a top goal scorer.
And If everyone else showed up, he wouldn't have gotten the minutes.

Tortorella plays who shows up.

Don't show up, not playing.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Brian Boyle is not a major issue for this team. The Rangers don't have many flaws, but they do have a couple of far greater issues than Boyle. That said, he's an average 4th line player who is decent defensively, but he drags down far better players like Fedotenko and Hagelin. Boyle is the least valuable player on the team when the likes of Woywitka and Christensen are not dressing.

Next season, I suspect Boyle will either no longer be here, or be relegated to 4th line minutes. I like his locker room presence, but I would not care in the slightest if he was moved. It's not a big loss on the ice.
i agree with all of this. except when Boyle is playing more than any other forward, i think the coach flat out effed up.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:58 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Boyle's line was the best in their own end sadly.

Boyle's ho-hum effort to get to Arty's pass led to the goal.

Feds starts coasting back & doesn't get to Michalek(sp?) on his goal.

Hags needs to go back to BR's line & put Dubi with Steps.

Boyle twice lined guys up to deliver the hit & then bounced off & fell on his ass wtf?

I think his hands are in his skates & his feet are in his gloves!

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:59 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I wouldn't be against a shakeup of the lines if they can't snap out of the offensive funk over the next few games. I think Hagelin and Anisimov would do wonders for each other in the offensive zone.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:11 AM
OverTheCap

Boyle got super lucky last year offensively. Flukey bounces and deflections resulted in goals for him, and I also remember some weak shots that ended up being goals due to poor goaltending.

This year, it all evened out. His luck has run out in a major way. The bounces aren't going his way and his weak backhand isn't fooling anyone.

That being said, he's a much more well-rounded player than he used to be. But relying upon for any sort of offense is a mistake. He's a 4th line player and should be getting 4th line minutes.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Still don't figure how Wolski was outplayed by Boyle. Or how Boyle was good.

His work down low was good. Fantastic, didn't stop the other team from taking it back down the ice against his line and scoring.

Boyle whiffed on good chances, got scored on when he was on the ice, and also because i'm mad at him i'm gonna say he somehow deflected blame off himself when everyone was saying Arty gaffe'd on the first goal (not Arty's fault Boyle doesn't know how to handle a ****ing pass.) Arty passed it to him and what does Boyle do? What he usually does, **** up the pass and not do anything productive with it.

He did nothing to warrant the minutes he got (and gets), yet he got them (and gets them, and probably will continue to get them sadly.)
Despite the fact that weve been finding ways to win games all season long, this is a team-wide issue. Everyone not named Callahan really needs to make a much better effort in terms of ACCEPTING passes. It's like if it's not an absolute Gretzky pass and they don't have to move their stick to reach or curl the puck at all, they're just going to let it bounce past or over their stick blade.

A big part of the reason why teams like Detroit, Chicago, and Pittsburgh are so good ( especially pittsburgh last season without Malkin and Crosby ) is because the entire team makes an effort to hold onto pucks. Yes our passing needs to be better, but the effort to turn a mediocre or sub-par pass into an acceptable one that keeps the play going needs to be MUCH MUCH better than it has been.

Too much standing around. Not enough get up and go until it's too late. When you lose the puck, GO GET IT BACK RIGHT AWAY. Detroit, Pittsburgh are masters at this and it's mostly a mentality and understanding how important puck posession is. We're too satisfied with dumping the puck out to neutral ice or having our defensemen smack it from our zone all the way down as long as our stationary forward standing at the opposing blue line gets a piece and tips it in so there's no icing. That's a TURNOVER! Sure, it's better than a turnover at your own blue line, but you still just forfeited posession to the other team without any real pressure/ reason to do so.

This needs to be addressed. It's been masked for most of the season thus far, because we're still finding ways to win. But if we didn't have superhuman Lundqvist back there, we'd probably be in Islanders territory. It will improve naturally as the team continues to bond and get more familiar with eachother and their individual roles, and especially Richards, but the passing, especially accepting passes needs to be drastically improved or were going to be in for a surprise against the masterful puck posession teams like Boston and Pittsburgh, and just as much, the quick-strike teams who strive on the rush (see: our struggles against Toronto this season, because to a rush team, turning it over in their zone is just as bad as turning it over in our own zone).

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Richards constantly avoids blame because he's been arguably the biggest reason Callahan is on pace for 60 points.

Boyle has not made Hagelin and Fedotenko better.

And I agree to an extent- the entire team sucked for large stretches of tonight. But Boyle got more ice time then Callahan, Gaborik AND Richards. They didn't suck bad enough to get displaced by Brian Boyle.
thats really the main issue. people say hes a good 4th liner and hes not our main problem. this is true but not when he gets more time than our ****ing stars. if hes going to get that much ice time we're going to criticize him when he doesn't do **** with it. and i think it was pretty obvious hagelin was doing it all on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And If everyone else showed up, he wouldn't have gotten the minutes.

Tortorella plays who shows up.

Don't show up, not playing.
i think torts just has a hard on for boyle. when boyle "shows up" he still can't score so i don't understand why he gets that much ice time. when you need a goal late in the game you double shift guys like gaborik, stepan callahan and richards, not brian ****ing boyle.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote