HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#41 - 01.12.2012 | Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
I fell asleep on the couch at 0-1 in mid to late 2nd. I woke up for a second and Hank was looking very sad in a post game locker room interview, so I guess they lost. I still don't know the final score.

I remember hearing Anisimov was in the infamous "Chateau Bow-Wow". Kovalev, anyone? It seemed like every other game Keenan had him in there. haha

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Wow, 40% of the Rangers regulation losses are shutouts. That's unacceptable. I don't care how well they've played up until this point. If this team wants to do anything of importance they need to have a consistent offensive effort night in and night out, not let every goalie who walks into MSG think he's Patrick Roy. It doesn't get easier from here on out, it gets harder.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
XLJ

I dont get why Torts separated Richards and Gaborik on the powerplay. And they need to use Stralman more on the pp instead of Girardi.

Boyle playing close to 20 minutes is a joke. The guy is a 4th line player. We were trailing, giving Boyle that much ice time isn't going to help us score a goal.

I'm hoping they take Mitchell out of the lineup. Hopefully Wolski starts scoring. If not we have to dump him and add someone like Ruutu or Whitney at the trade deadline.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I dont get why Torts separated Richards and Gaborik on the powerplay. And they need to use Stralman more on the pp instead of Girardi.

Boyle playing close to 20 minutes is a joke. The guy is a 4th line player. We were trailing giving Boyle that much ice time isn't going to help us score a goal.

I'm hoping they take Mitchell out of the lineup. Hopefully Wolski starts scoring. If not we have to dump him and add someone like Ruutu or Whitney at the trade deadline.
I can't imagine Wolski is getting in the lineup unless somebody isn't healthy enough to go. If Dubi is good to go on Saturday he'll be in the press box again, or more than likely on his conditioning stint in hartford. Wolski's margin for error is about 0 with Torts, so if he's not getting on the score sheet, he's not gonna be playing.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:18 AM
ltsthinaz

Unimpressed by Wolski, he will never live up to his talent, and Anisimov needs to show a lot more.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

Just got back from the game. Wolski was god awful. Hags was the best forward on the ice for us.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:44 AM
darko

Oh well, our players are still better looking than Sens players.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:00 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Good teams lose. That's the point.
Wait a minute, we're not gonna go 82-0?

01-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

This game could have went a completely different way if Staal put that puck in the net in the 1st...it went downhill from there. Again chances, but no convert. If we ha a decent pp, we wouldnt have lost games like this. Still annoys me we lost the other game at home to this team.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
trilobyte

I'm pretty much always waiting for something from Wolski that is clearly good, not some kind of mysterious play that is so subtle as to be almost invisible, that someone else talks about as being a good or a smart play.
I keep wondering why I never see anything, clearly and unequivocally without possibitly of argument, as being something that lets me see why Wolski is always described as being so talented. Some kind of one-on-one move, a great rush, a dangle, a laser shot to the top corner.
In other words, people are really reaching when they describe a good play by Wolski. Good at what level? Is he meeting anybody's expectations?

I still keep waiting. This waiting doesn't cost me anything except frustration, but it is obviously very costly for the Rangers.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

love Torts, but I think he grossly overcoached this game. Rangers were the best team on the ice till he started screwing with the lines. Just because they weren't finishing doesnt mean they were playing bad. They did what he told them, they stayed patient and stuck with the plan. Didn't need to screw with the lines, the Rangers were getting their chances and playing a pretty damn solid game in all 3 zones.

first time as a Ranger where i really think his coaching cost us a win.

it happens to everyone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Manny*

I thought Del Zotto looked real good for you guys.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM
MSG the place to be*

Lines aren't a depth chart and there isn't some formula for putting them together.
The point of line combinations is to maximize the number of lines that will sustain pressure and dictate the play. At one point Shelley-Anisimov-Prust was a magical line. Not because Shelley was able to score some important goals, rather because they were dominant shift after shift after shift. When Dubi-Anisimov-Cally got put together last year it wasn't poetry on ice. It was just three guys who were able to feed off each other's energy and take it to the opposition.

Tonight Boyle's line was far far far and away the best line. Sure Hagelin was the catalyst. That dude has been the best Ranger forward in like half of his appearances. But it was the whole line that was in a groove and it was clear as day that they were on their game and the other lines were off. Thats why Torts jumbled the others and kept the Boyle line in tact.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

We didn't own the puck. We didn't own the ice. From the start of the game the ice just seemed to be tipped into our end. Clear to center, back in, clear to center, back in. Cant be more than a minute or two we spent set up in their zone.

We lost this game because we lost 1 on 1s. The entire system, the way this team plays is built off of winning board battles. Just didn't have it tonight.

Some y'all got your heads wedged firmly up your ***** if you think this game is a good indicator of how this team plays hockey. Credit to Ottowa, they played like a madman defensively.

Throw it out, work hard in practice, and get ready to walk into Toronto with a grudge, and out with 2 points.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
We didn't own the puck. We didn't own the ice. From the start of the game the ice just seemed to be tipped into our end. Clear to center, back in, clear to center, back in. Cant be more than a minute or two we spent set up in their zone.

We lost this game because we lost 1 on 1s. The entire system, the way this team plays is built off of winning board battles. Just didn't have it tonight.

Some y'all got your heads wedged firmly up your ***** if you think this game is a good indicator of how this team plays hockey. Credit to Ottowa, they played like a madman defensively.

Throw it out, work hard in practice, and get ready to walk into Toronto with a grudge, and out with 2 points.
rangers played really well for the bulk of this game. once the lines started to get changed around, the ice started to tilt. we outshot and outchanced em till the end of the game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:57 AM
MSG the place to be*

On to my next topic...Brad Richards.

"You learn more about a player in 10 games for your team than 10 years on another team" - MSG the place to be

For instance, nobody told me that Richards' go to move in the offensive zone is to just fire the puck towards the crease/net as soon as he gets the puck. (Sometimes its a good idea but sometimes its just not the proper play at the particular moment.)

Weird how nobody on this board noticed this aspect of his game when he was with Dallas or Tampa yet we have so many experts on Bobby Ryan, Tuomo Ruutu, Shane Doan, etc.

I actually like the version of Brad Richards that I have come to know in terms of his style. He's much more of a battler than I had expected. But at the same time he's not as much of a game to game, shift to shift, great player as I was anticipating. Lightyears ahead of #10, but pretty far from what I would call a franchise player.

Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 01-13-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old
01-13-2012, 02:07 AM
MSG the place to be*

And now to the man they call Popsicle Sticks Cromartie. The agita-inducing one. #10 in your program, invisible on the ice.

The words of venom cannot be organized into coherent thought.

I think when Marian was little and played his first game of hockey, he picked up the puck with his glove and his coach said "Hey little fella, you're not allowed to hold onto the puck in hockey." And from that day forward Marian Gaborik would never hold onto a puck again. No other explanation.

Stay tuned for why Marian Gaborik cannot play through even a wee bit of contact.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

"You learn more about a player in 10 games for your team than 10 years on another team" - MSG the place to be

For instance, nobody told me that Richards' go to move in the offensive zone is to just fire the puck towards the crease/net as soon as he gets the puck. (Sometimes its a good idea but sometimes its just really not the proper play at the particular moment.)

Weird how nobody on this board noticed this aspect of his game yet we have so many experts on Bobby Ryan, Tuomo Ruutu, Shane Doan, etc.

I actually like the version of Brad Richards that I have come to know in terms of his style. He's much more of a battler than I had expected. But at the same time he's not as much of a game to game, shift to shift, great player as I was anticipating. Lightyears ahead of #10, but pretty far from what I would call a franchise player.
He needs to be playing with Stepan and Gaborik. Putting him with two grinders, no matter how hard-working they are isn't helping his game get back to where it should be.

Stepan Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Hagelin Mitchell Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust

Wolski takes dubi's spot of he's still hurt.

When dubi is healthy, perhaps put Wolski on the third line with Hagelin and Fedotenko centering, put Mitchell with Rupp and Pruster, and let Boyle watch a few games from the stands. Maybe he'll realize how bottom 6 players are supposed to impact a game and be a factor in all three zones.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Unimpressed by Wolski, he will never live up to his talent, and Anisimov needs to show a lot more.
Boy are you on the money. Wolski is talented but will never understand what it takes and Anisimov has a limited ceiling production wise.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

For instance, nobody told me that Richards' go to move in the offensive zone is to just fire the puck towards the crease/net as soon as he gets the puck. (Sometimes its a good idea but sometimes its just really not the proper play at the particular moment.)

Weird how nobody on this board noticed this aspect of his game yet we have so many experts on Bobby Ryan, Tuomo Ruutu, Shane Doan, etc.

That's just it in a nutshell meaning neither Richards or Gaborik are what you would classify as "franchise players." One is an elite finisher while the other is an elite passer but neither one of them is capable of taking over a game.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
And now to the man they call Popsicle Sticks Cromartie. The agita-inducing one. #10 in your program, invisible on the ice.

The words of venom cannot be organized into coherent thought.

I think when Marian was little and played his first game of hockey, he picked up the puck with his glove and his coach said "Hey little fella, you're not allowed to hold onto the puck in hockey." And from that day forward Marian Gaborik would never hold onto a puck again. No other explanation.

Stay tuned for why Marian Gaborik cannot play through even a wee bit of contact.
Unfortunately, that has never been his game. He desperately needs someone else to carry the puck for him and to then set him up in places where he can finish. That and only that is what Gaborik does, he is an elite finisher, nothing more and nothing less. When his contract is up in two and a half years, you can't resign him for another five years!

Old
01-13-2012, 03:01 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't know how anybody takes anything this guy says seriously anymore.

They really need to make it so you can't see quotes from people you've ignored.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:06 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

For instance, nobody told me that Richards' go to move in the offensive zone is to just fire the puck towards the crease/net as soon as he gets the puck. (Sometimes its a good idea but sometimes its just not the proper play at the particular moment.)

Weird how nobody on this board noticed this aspect of his game when he was with Dallas or Tampa yet we have so many experts on Bobby Ryan, Tuomo Ruutu, Shane Doan, etc.

To be fair, Dallas fans warned you guys that Richards wasn't as good as he was being hyped on these boards.

Richards is weird this year. He's not racking up PPPs like he was in Dallas playing with a pure passer like Riberio on the half-wall. Richards got a ton of points playing on the point and just being the shooter with Morrow in front of the net providing a screen. Riberio was really the one making the crazy plays, Richards was just always open on the point for the one timer or his patented SHAS to Eriksson or Riberio for the wide open net.

He also doesn't have the luxury of playing with a talented winger like Eriksson regularly. Richards needs players on his wings who can win puck battles on the boards, but also be in the right place at the right time for his cycling pass. As good as Dubi/Cally have been for him, I don't think they have that hockey intelligence that Eriksson does, and therefore a lot of the grinding goes to waste. What has impressed me is how Richards has changed his game to match his linemates, and become more of the shooter on the line. Where as in the past he'd just continue to cycle until Loui or Neal finished the play.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a PPG player in New York, unless the PP gets fixed drastically. Part of that involves him playing on the point with another great playmaker on the halfboards IMO. Torts is too manic with his PP units, needs to stick with a setup that works for quite a few games to find chemistry:

Callahan in front of the net.
Stepan on the halfwall, directing traffic.
Gaborik along the boards for the cycle, shifts to the hashmarks when we have control.
MDZ or Girardi on the RD for shots or to get it to Stepan/Richards.
Richards on the Left point, for either one timers or shot-passes to Gaborik in open shooting lanes.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:15 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we had somebody like Loui Erikkson we'd be better than Boston.

Richie is playing with lesser linemates, as much as I love Cally.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Captain Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Wolski never shows any positive signs, he's just there.

Captain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote