HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Coyotes Claim Gilbert Brule

Old
01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
It has been a tough ride for Brule and his pro career so far. He was such a vibrant player in junior. Unfortunately being through the meat grinder of two poorly run teams like Edmonton and Columbus really sucked the life out of his career. Just another example of why the draft system needs to be scrapped ASAP to prevent more of this in the future.
It just wouldn't be a thread without the standard dose of Fehr Time trolling, would it?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
oilers need the contract space to be honest, and brule needs a fresh start away from the media. he will tear it up just watch.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
newham89

Bono to Phoenix (E5)

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:31 PM
shiva

Clears the contract space, and free up some money as well don't forget. Paying him full salary to play in the AHL (where he was average) just didn't make much sense. he was injured quite a bit as well, so maybe they decided it wasn't that much of a risk (considering they could have called up other players who would have fit the teams needs more) and they just signed Potter for half the amount of money.

Don't forget Brule is RFA, and would have to be qualified at 1.8 million. that extra contract space can sure be useful now.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I thought Edmonton needed a body, thats is why I think he was recalled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I think Edmonton only had 10 healthy forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Edmonton didnt do this to help Brule find an NHL gig. They need his body right now and what it comes down to, they're paying him an NHL wage for playing in the AHL. So they either take the chance he clears or continue paying him to play in the AHL.
If Edmonton needs bodies, the Coyotes should have one to spare in Cal O'Reilly.

Cal O'Reilly and Derek Morris for a minor league contract and Theo Peckham?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib View Post
maybe phoenix will just let him play his game -

ken hitchcock ruined him
Nope. It's easy to blame one person, but the reality is that Columbus had no depth, management rushed him to fill in that depth, and he wasn't big or strong enough for the style with which he succeeded in juniors to translate to the NHL.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Good for Brule. He deserves to be wanted. Coach-able hardworking player. Jackets messed him up pretty badly by throwing him into the NHL at such a young age.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Pugilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Good for Brule. He deserves to be wanted. Coach-able hardworking player. Jackets messed him up pretty badly by throwing him into the NHL at such a young age.
Just came here to post this. Brule works his bag off and always gives a good physical effort. Very likable player, I'm sure he will contribute in Phoenix.

Pugilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
It has been a tough ride for Brule and his pro career so far. He was such a vibrant player in junior. Unfortunately being through the meat grinder of two poorly run teams like Edmonton and Columbus really sucked the life out of his career. Just another example of why the draft system needs to be scrapped ASAP to prevent more of this in the future.
Please explain.

WTF did Edmonton do to ruin his career? He had his most productive season with them (17-20-37 in 65 games), got a contract, then decided defensive assignments were overrated. I like the raw skill of the player - fast, physical, strong shot with a quick release.... but this guy's hockey sense is questionable at best. PHX seems very system oriented and as much as I hope he succeeds, I think the odds are stacked against him.

Good luck GB, you'll likely need it.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Eskimo44

Good luck to Brule, i think this should be for the best for both sides.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Please explain.

WTF did Edmonton do to ruin his career? He had his most productive season with them (17-20-37 in 65 games), got a contract, then decided defensive assignments were overrated. I like the raw skill of the player - fast, physical, strong shot with a quick release.... but this guy's hockey sense is questionable at best. PHX seems very system oriented and as much as I hope he succeeds, I think the odds are stacked against him.

I'll explain it for you. He was rushed into the NHL when he joined Columbus and he still wasn't NHL ready when he joined Edmonton. When Edmonton picked him up they should have buried his ass in the minors. He had elite 2nd line center written all over him when he was drafted.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:38 AM
North

Quote:
I'll explain it for you. He was rushed into the NHL when he joined Columbus and he still wasn't NHL ready when he joined Edmonton. When Edmonton picked him up they should have buried his ass in the minors. He had elite 2nd line center written all over him when he was drafted.
Just a heads up, the Oilers did place him in the minors when they first got him. He was injured in the minors and ended up playing only 39 games.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:38 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If Edmonton needs bodies, the Coyotes should have one to spare in Cal O'Reilly.

Cal O'Reilly and Derek Morris for a minor league contract and Theo Peckham?
Oilers can't spare a single D. Did you know 4 of the D in the AHL are on PTOs - not even signed! They are temp players from the Central Hockey League.

Injuries have killed both the Oilers and the farm team. Honestly, forward is not weakness on the Oilers. They can call up Martindale from the ECHL to fill an AHL spot.

EDIT: Oh, I've seen Brule in about 4 AHL games this season. He's nothing special. Good speed, gritty, nice shot. But zero hockey sense. Much like Patrick O'Sullivan (well - he doesn't have the speed or grit).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Oilers can't spare a single D. Did you know 4 of the D in the AHL are on PTOs - not even signed! They are temp players from the Central Hockey League.

Injuries have killed both the Oilers and the farm team. Honestly, forward is not weakness on the Oilers. They can call up Martindale from the ECHL to fill an AHL spot.

EDIT: Oh, I've seen Brule in about 4 AHL games this season. He's nothing special. Good speed, gritty, nice shot. But zero hockey sense. Much like Patrick O'Sullivan (well - he doesn't have the speed or grit).
Gilbert Brule has a ton more care though. POS was more interested in coasting and collecting a paycheck.

iCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:31 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Interesting article on Brule's anomaly season last year:

http://oilersnation.com/2010/5/13/gi...-and-red-flags

Hope he can turn it around in PHO.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:42 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
So according to that, Phoenix now needs to trade for Penner. It would fit into the throw-crap-against-the-wall theory being used now. I predict it will be the deadline "splash" Phoenix makes.
Or they'll sell off Whitney, Doan, Oak, Rozi and bring in Penner as a "scoring winger with proven chemistry" to try to placate the fans in the season's swan-song.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib View Post
maybe phoenix will just let him play his game -

ken hitchcock ruined him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Please explain.

Quote:
There aren't 20 guys in the NHL who can match Brule's physical skill set. But when it comes down to reading and analyzing the play around him on the fly, he's sorely deficient. He could get by with it in junior because he was going 100 MPH everywhere, and because he was playing against guys with similar hockey IQ. As a result, he could dominate with physical tools.

In the NHL, it simply doesn't work that way. Raffi Torres has a higher hockey IQ than Brule, which is why he's been able to produce over his career in the NHL. But it's impossible to take Brule and just let him go do his thing, because it takes him too far out of position in every zone. Watch Torres when he starts running around. He'll whiff on a check and suddenly it's a 5-on-4 or a 4-on-3 the other way, and he's 60' behind the play. Or he'll bail out of the defensive zone too fast, or he'll misread the way that everyone's moving and go offside, or any of a number of things that would be called "rookie mistakes" if they weren't being done by someone who's 29.

In hindsight, it should have been clear that Brule wasn't going to be a great NHLer. But the physical tools blinded us all to plain reality. And it's not just here or on other sites, but a lot of people who do or have done this for a living.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I think we're all missing the real question here: will Bono now perform in a Coyotes jersey with Brule's name on it?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote