HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enforcer philosophy - Canucks vs Wings

Old
01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
A good example tonight of sticking up for a teammate. Kings are up 4-3 in the 3rd period, Brenden Morrow plants Kopitar and knocks him out of the game, Brad Richardson jumps Morrow and scraps him, he takes an extra 4 minutes in penalties and the Stars tie the game on the PP. Game is in OT right now but the Kings probably win in regulation if they don't retaliate.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
A good example tonight of sticking up for a teammate. Kings are up 4-3 in the 3rd period, Brenden Morrow plants Kopitar and knocks him out of the game, Brad Richardson jumps Morrow and scraps him, he takes an extra 4 minutes in penalties and the Stars tie the game on the PP. Game is in OT right now but the Kings probably win in regulation if they don't retaliate.
And Kopitar knows that he has a hell of a guy in Richardson watching over him.

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
And Kopitar knows that he has a hell of a guy in Richardson watching over him.
While I'm sure he appreciates the support it doesn't help them in the win column.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
While I'm sure he appreciates the support it doesn't help them in the win column.
Oh, I dunno.

Every guy on Boston seems to play 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than they are.

How has that worked for them the last year?

Old
01-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Oh, I dunno.

Every guy on Boston seems to play 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than they are.

How has that worked for them the last year?
Didn't work for them last Saturday against us.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
Didn't work for them last Saturday against us.
Oh I know. I've got my Vancouver Canucks January 7 2012 Staney Cup Champions t-shirt on as I type!

Old
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Oh I know. I've got my Vancouver Canucks January 7 2012 Staney Cup Champions t-shirt on as I type!
Witty.

I've just given 2 examples. One of a team winning because they didn't retaliate, and one losing because they did...just to protect their teammate's "honor". Provide me a tangible example of a team winning because they did retaliate to defend a teammate's honor.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:52 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
Witty.

I've just given 2 examples. One of a team winning because they didn't retaliate, and one losing because they did...just to protect their teammate's "honor". Provide me a tangible example of a team winning because they did retaliate to defend a teammate's honor.
You have shown some examples, and I appreciate the effort.

Will you, in turn, concede that I may just have a point when I say I believe that in the long run, a team can drop a few points here and there due to retaliation, but end up stronger for it because of the team spirit/unison/trust/cohesion/whatever I believe it builds?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:

Will you, in turn, concede that I may just have a point when I say I believe that in the long run, a team can drop a few points here and there due to retaliation, but end up stronger for it because of the team spirit/unison/trust/cohesion/whatever I believe it builds?
I believe it can be helpful for morale knowing someone has your back. But I don't believe it would help the Canucks as much as perhaps some other teams. I think our team is just as, or more cohesive and tight of a dressing room as there is in the league, and we play a style that doesn't promote physical retribution (if it occurs after the whistle). I think PP's do more for a team than feeling that "so and so" has your back if you get cheapshotted. If it were me, I'd rather that the refs had my back than a teammate if I were given a cheapshot.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:09 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
I believe it can be helpful for morale knowing someone has your back. But I don't believe it would help the Canucks as much as perhaps some other teams. I think our team is just as, or more cohesive and tight of a dressing room as there is in the league, and we play a style that doesn't promote physical retribution (if it occurs after the whistle). I think PP's do more for a team than feeling that "so and so" has your back if you get cheapshotted. If it were me, I'd rather that the refs had my back than a teammate if I were given a cheapshot.
I can understand hoping that the refs had your back, but I mean can any of us expect that, especially after the finals? I know I don't feel confident in that when I watch the games.

I'm not even in the camp that wants Gillis to go out and get a goon, and I'm not even that worried about him picking up some toughs that can play. I'd be perfectly happy just seeing the Canucks players go to the wall for each other to the nth degree, even if they might take an extra penalty and maybe even the losing end of a dust up.

I don't think the two of us are going to end up on the same page here, but I think we both see, and can at least respect the others' stance. Agree to disagree, it looks like. That's good enough for me.

High five!

Old
01-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I can understand hoping that the refs had your back, but I mean can any of us expect that, especially after the finals? I know I don't feel confident in that when I watch the games.

I'm not even in the camp that wants Gillis to go out and get a goon, and I'm not even that worried about him picking up some toughs that can play. I'd be perfectly happy just seeing the Canucks players go to the wall for each other to the nth degree, even if they might take an extra penalty and maybe even the losing end of a dust up.

I don't think the two of us are going to end up on the same page here, but I think we both see, and can at least respect the others' stance. Agree to disagree, it looks like. That's good enough for me.

High five!
Hey...I like the idea of sticking up for each other I just think its counter productive for this team in a lot of circumstances. If its Thornton on Burrows, I don't mind the team swarming. But I just don't see a real upside to the Sedins trying to go after Marchand after he submarines Salo, and they know he's getting a penalty...especially with Chara standing there...but that's just me. As you say, we can agree to disagree

Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Quote:
Hey...I like the idea of sticking up for each other I just think its counter productive for this team in a lot of circumstances. If its Thornton on Burrows, I don't mind the team swarming. But I just don't see a real upside to the Sedins trying to go after Marchand after he submarines Salo, and they know he's getting a penalty...especially with Chara standing there...but that's just me. As you say, we can agree to disagree
The last thing I'll say here, Chara reference specific...

Can you imagine the "got my back" currency built when someone goes to the wall to defend their team mate in spite of the fact there's a 6'9 265 pounder in the vicinity?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

Agreed.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:37 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
In my mind the obvious thing to do would be to put a shoulder into Chara's knee or an elbow into Bergeron's head...gotta even up the injuries.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote