HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enforcer philosophy - Canucks vs Wings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
  #176
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
A good example tonight of sticking up for a teammate. Kings are up 4-3 in the 3rd period, Brenden Morrow plants Kopitar and knocks him out of the game, Brad Richardson jumps Morrow and scraps him, he takes an extra 4 minutes in penalties and the Stars tie the game on the PP. Game is in OT right now but the Kings probably win in regulation if they don't retaliate.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
  #177
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
A good example tonight of sticking up for a teammate. Kings are up 4-3 in the 3rd period, Brenden Morrow plants Kopitar and knocks him out of the game, Brad Richardson jumps Morrow and scraps him, he takes an extra 4 minutes in penalties and the Stars tie the game on the PP. Game is in OT right now but the Kings probably win in regulation if they don't retaliate.
And Kopitar knows that he has a hell of a guy in Richardson watching over him.

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
  #178
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
And Kopitar knows that he has a hell of a guy in Richardson watching over him.
While I'm sure he appreciates the support it doesn't help them in the win column.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
  #179
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
While I'm sure he appreciates the support it doesn't help them in the win column.
Oh, I dunno.

Every guy on Boston seems to play 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than they are.

How has that worked for them the last year?

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:22 AM
  #180
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
Oh, I dunno.

Every guy on Boston seems to play 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than they are.

How has that worked for them the last year?
Didn't work for them last Saturday against us.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
  #181
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Didn't work for them last Saturday against us.
Oh I know. I've got my Vancouver Canucks January 7 2012 Staney Cup Champions t-shirt on as I type!

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM
  #182
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
Oh I know. I've got my Vancouver Canucks January 7 2012 Staney Cup Champions t-shirt on as I type!
Witty.

I've just given 2 examples. One of a team winning because they didn't retaliate, and one losing because they did...just to protect their teammate's "honor". Provide me a tangible example of a team winning because they did retaliate to defend a teammate's honor.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:52 AM
  #183
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Witty.

I've just given 2 examples. One of a team winning because they didn't retaliate, and one losing because they did...just to protect their teammate's "honor". Provide me a tangible example of a team winning because they did retaliate to defend a teammate's honor.
You have shown some examples, and I appreciate the effort.

Will you, in turn, concede that I may just have a point when I say I believe that in the long run, a team can drop a few points here and there due to retaliation, but end up stronger for it because of the team spirit/unison/trust/cohesion/whatever I believe it builds?

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:02 AM
  #184
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
You have shown some examples, and I appreciate the effort.

Will you, in turn, concede that I may just have a point when I say I believe that in the long run, a team can drop a few points here and there due to retaliation, but end up stronger for it because of the team spirit/unison/trust/cohesion/whatever I believe it builds?
I believe it can be helpful for morale knowing someone has your back. But I don't believe it would help the Canucks as much as perhaps some other teams. I think our team is just as, or more cohesive and tight of a dressing room as there is in the league, and we play a style that doesn't promote physical retribution (if it occurs after the whistle). I think PP's do more for a team than feeling that "so and so" has your back if you get cheapshotted. If it were me, I'd rather that the refs had my back than a teammate if I were given a cheapshot.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:09 AM
  #185
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I believe it can be helpful for morale knowing someone has your back. But I don't believe it would help the Canucks as much as perhaps some other teams. I think our team is just as, or more cohesive and tight of a dressing room as there is in the league, and we play a style that doesn't promote physical retribution (if it occurs after the whistle). I think PP's do more for a team than feeling that "so and so" has your back if you get cheapshotted. If it were me, I'd rather that the refs had my back than a teammate if I were given a cheapshot.
I can understand hoping that the refs had your back, but I mean can any of us expect that, especially after the finals? I know I don't feel confident in that when I watch the games.

I'm not even in the camp that wants Gillis to go out and get a goon, and I'm not even that worried about him picking up some toughs that can play. I'd be perfectly happy just seeing the Canucks players go to the wall for each other to the nth degree, even if they might take an extra penalty and maybe even the losing end of a dust up.

I don't think the two of us are going to end up on the same page here, but I think we both see, and can at least respect the others' stance. Agree to disagree, it looks like. That's good enough for me.

High five!

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:20 AM
  #186
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
I can understand hoping that the refs had your back, but I mean can any of us expect that, especially after the finals? I know I don't feel confident in that when I watch the games.

I'm not even in the camp that wants Gillis to go out and get a goon, and I'm not even that worried about him picking up some toughs that can play. I'd be perfectly happy just seeing the Canucks players go to the wall for each other to the nth degree, even if they might take an extra penalty and maybe even the losing end of a dust up.

I don't think the two of us are going to end up on the same page here, but I think we both see, and can at least respect the others' stance. Agree to disagree, it looks like. That's good enough for me.

High five!
Hey...I like the idea of sticking up for each other I just think its counter productive for this team in a lot of circumstances. If its Thornton on Burrows, I don't mind the team swarming. But I just don't see a real upside to the Sedins trying to go after Marchand after he submarines Salo, and they know he's getting a penalty...especially with Chara standing there...but that's just me. As you say, we can agree to disagree

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 AM
  #187
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Hey...I like the idea of sticking up for each other I just think its counter productive for this team in a lot of circumstances. If its Thornton on Burrows, I don't mind the team swarming. But I just don't see a real upside to the Sedins trying to go after Marchand after he submarines Salo, and they know he's getting a penalty...especially with Chara standing there...but that's just me. As you say, we can agree to disagree
The last thing I'll say here, Chara reference specific...

Can you imagine the "got my back" currency built when someone goes to the wall to defend their team mate in spite of the fact there's a 6'9 265 pounder in the vicinity?


The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 AM
  #188
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanVonderen View Post
You have shown some examples, and I appreciate the effort.

Will you, in turn, concede that I may just have a point when I say I believe that in the long run, a team can drop a few points here and there due to retaliation, but end up stronger for it because of the team spirit/unison/trust/cohesion/whatever I believe it builds?
Agreed.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:37 AM
  #189
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Hey...I like the idea of sticking up for each other I just think its counter productive for this team in a lot of circumstances. If its Thornton on Burrows, I don't mind the team swarming. But I just don't see a real upside to the Sedins trying to go after Marchand after he submarines Salo, and they know he's getting a penalty...especially with Chara standing there...but that's just me. As you say, we can agree to disagree
In my mind the obvious thing to do would be to put a shoulder into Chara's knee or an elbow into Bergeron's head...gotta even up the injuries.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.