HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#42|Jan. 12, 2012|Flyers at Islanders|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-13-2012, 07:40 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 500
I think it's funny how certain teams/players just seem to do so well against certain other teams.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I think it's funny how certain teams/players just seem to do so well against certain other teams.
Yeah, on the opposite end of the spectrum the Rangers seem to have the Flyers' number this year.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:10 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
That's how a goalie steals a game!
This!

But we also need to discuss that the other 20 players have played several games already like they had never practiced together before.

I understand, that my ststement will draw the slew of stats thrown at me (standings, points earned, goals scored etc.).

However, the way my favorite team has been playing troubles me a lot.

I know, that they ice a lot of inexperience players and Lilja, but the way they have been playing really frustrates me. And I do not want them to become Habs and rely only on the goalie (who has been remarkable the lsat 2 games) to win the games.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Yeah, on the opposite end of the spectrum the Rangers seem to have the Flyers' number this year.
Yea

Really is irritating.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
However, the way my favorite team has been playing troubles me a lot.

I know, that they ice a lot of inexperience players and Lilja, but the way they have been playing really frustrates me. And I do not want them to become Habs and rely only on the goalie (who has been remarkable the lsat 2 games) to win the games.
agreed, there were huge chunks of last nites game were the Isles were totaly dominating the Flyers end to end..

thre was a point were the announcers stated we hadnt had a shot on net in 20mins of game time..

/UGH.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He made the first move. He went right, Tavares immediately put it past him on the left.

I didn't say I hated it or give him sole blame; most of the blame definitely isn't on him. It would have been a great save, and I was disappointed that he couldn't finish the night with another. I'm not exactly holding it against him. I just didn't like it and wish he could have had it. No need to crap yourself over it.
I haven't seen the goals since last night, so I might not remember this right at all, but I think the second Islanders goal is just one of those you have to accept the other team to score. They made use of their extra man on the ice and had some solid puck movement leading up to setting up John Tavares going in pretty much alone on goal. That's just a good goal by the other team. Could it have been played differently by our guys? Sure, but I'm not so sure it would have mattered too much, the Islanders had good movement and an extra man on that attack, they would have found someone else open instead.

Edit: Ok, this should have been sandlandsd's post I should have quoted... What I meant was that I see no reason to really find any fault either with Bobrovsky or with the other guys.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
He made the first move. He went right, Tavares immediately put it past him on the left.

I didn't say I hated it or give him sole blame; most of the blame definitely isn't on him. It would have been a great save, and I was disappointed that he couldn't finish the night with another. I'm not exactly holding it against him. I just didn't like it and wish he could have had it. No need to crap yourself over it.
Sorry Beef, but Bob didn't make the first move. "Making the first move" is like when you're 1 on 1 w/ a shooter and you go down into the butterfly or you bite on his deke to the left, etc. something like that. That's something you can blame a goalie for.

What Bob did doesn't qualify as that.

Bob was square to the shooter who had the puck on the outside (near the left circle). This player then threaded a pass through our swiss cheese defense to Tavares cutting into the middle. Bob pushed to the right to attempt to square himself up to Tavares. Had he not done this, the entire left side of the goal (from Tavares's POV) would've been completely wide open and it would have been an easy forehand shot. Had Bob not "made the first move" in the context of how you're talking about it, then it would've been the easiest goal of Tavares's career. Bob pushed to the right to square himself to Tavares... this was a necessary move that would've been made by every single goaltender in the NHL. Tavares then makes an excellent deke / cut to his backhand and because Bob pushed to the right, he can't get back to his left in time and Tavares's perfectly placed backhand beat him.

There's not a goalie in the NHL who makes that save. Simply put, it's physically impossible. Once you push to the right (and that was the correct move), you cannot physically get back to the left side of the goal in time to stop a backhand which finishes perfectly top shelf in the corner...

There's absolutely no way you should be disappointed in Bob for that goal.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

What? Replay showed that Bobs move to the right opened up the left. The left side was more vulnerable because of it.

Again though, you clearly think I'm more upset about it than I am. I'm not holding it against bob.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
What? Replay showed that Bobs move to the right opened up the left. The left side was more vulnerable because of it.
Again though, you clearly think I'm more upset about it than I am. I'm not holding it against bob.
I don't care about the goal, but that is exactly how it happened.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote