HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Boyle Rules (the Brian Boyle predicament)

Old
01-13-2012, 03:41 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
We play a stinker once in a while and some people need a scapegoat. If we're ****ing trading players every ****ing time we lose a game then we'll be going back to starting from scratch.

It was a loss. There haven't been too many of them. Best thing to do is live with it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:11 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
We play a stinker once in a while and some people need a scapegoat. If we're ****ing trading players every ****ing time we lose a game then we'll be going back to starting from scratch.

It was a loss. There haven't been too many of them. Best thing to do is live with it.
Thank you. Someone with a head on their shoulders. We played one bad ****ing game. And honestly, it wasn't that bad! We didn't play great, but we played well enough to grab at least a point, maybe two with a few good bounces and a better effort in the 2nd period.

But every ****ing time we lose one game, it's "Trade Dubi" or "Trade Boyle" or "Trade Anisimov." Give it a rest guys. Boyle was actually pretty damn good tonight. That line was cycling and protecting the puck great, and yea they made a couple mistakes, got too much ice time, but you know what? The other lines weren't generating anything in the offensive zone in the third period. Boyle's line deserved their ice time.

Every now and again, I read the **** on this board and say to myself "thank god we've got Sather and not one of these guys as our GM."

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:50 AM
The Mouth

We can do better than Boyle. I think we lost that game because Ottawa played better than us. They brought their A game last night which has been happening a lot lately for them.

Boyle's line was the best out there. His finish is absolutely putrid and has been for the entire season.

I dont blame him for the loss. But this guy is maddening to watch during a scoring chance though.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Exactly. Anyone blaming this loss on Brian Boyle needs to get their head checked.

It's astounding reading the GDT. A masterful deflection by Spezza to tip Boyle's shot wide is somehow his fault.

Guess Ranger fans always need to blame someone
It's definitely not Boyle's fault, did anyone see Callahan during the game for example? But Boyle isn't good in the offensive zone this season and I think a more creative/skilled center should have the spot between Feds&Hagelin. Hagelin had a real good game, my POG. The give away late in the game was bad, but it was a risk that needed to be taken.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:22 AM
The Sweetness

Boyle has been poor this year.

Imo his play on the ice on the ice has not been good enough to justify his minutes. I get the impression Boyle is very good in the locker room and is a solid character guy. In one game I was at this year you could tell he cares about his teammates and does a good job of encouraging them and keeping moral up. You can also tell in some of the HBO clips that Boyle is a bit of a big brother to the players. This is great but sometimes I think he isn't doing enough on the ice to justify a spot on the roster.

I haven't seen as many games as I'd have liked to this year, but he has had some stretches recently where he has picked his play up, but he needs to up his compete level and skate with more intensity.

I'm not sure if Torts should continue to give Boyle more confidence by giving him minutes or if he should cut down on his minutes/bench him when he is struggling and make him fear losing his place in the team in hopes he will up his play.

I didn't see the game last night so I can't comment specifically on his play against Ottawa.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:54 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Thank you. Someone with a head on their shoulders. We played one bad ****ing game. And honestly, it wasn't that bad! We didn't play great, but we played well enough to grab at least a point, maybe two with a few good bounces and a better effort in the 2nd period.

But every ****ing time we lose one game, it's "Trade Dubi" or "Trade Boyle" or "Trade Anisimov." Give it a rest guys. Boyle was actually pretty damn good tonight. That line was cycling and protecting the puck great, and yea they made a couple mistakes, got too much ice time, but you know what? The other lines weren't generating anything in the offensive zone in the third period. Boyle's line deserved their ice time.

Every now and again, I read the **** on this board and say to myself "thank god we've got Sather and not one of these guys as our GM."
I agree-we did play a good game. At least Hagelin and Fedotenko did, because Richards, Callahan and Gaborik have to play better than that. But I, at least, have been consistent in my thoughts that we don't need Boyle. He's not what a lot of people expected him to be, and believe me when he had 18 goals through 40 or so games, he was thought to be a 2nd line guy.

Overall, Boyle is holding the team back a bit in the offensive category. And Tortorella had a rare off night of coaching. He mixed and matched the lines, but left Hagelin and Fedotenko with Boyle instead of putting a Center with hands on the line. A 4th liner, which Boyle clearly is, shouldn't be getting 20 minutes of ice time.

It's one game, no overreaction meant. On to Toronto.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:07 AM
jniklast

Boyle isn't playing even half as good as last year. While pretty much everybody expected him to regress, it's still disappointing how far his game has fallen.

Nontheless he shouldn't be blamed for the loss, he played ok and his line was creating more chances than any other. I blame Torts though for matching him up against the Spezza line all the time (and getting abused at facoffs by him) and for not trying to replace him with a more offensively able center when we needed a goal. It's been obvious now for weeks that Boyle can't buy a goal. When Hagelin and Fedotenko are surging try to put Richards or Stepan in the middle.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

You know you're winning when we're only talking about Brian Boyle and how he's not playing like last season.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
You know you're winning when we're only talking about Brian Boyle and how he's not playing like last season.
This. And I'm so tired of the deals sending away half the team when we're nr 2 in the leauge! On a side note, WW wasn't bad last night, looked real hungry out there!

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
blue425

Trade everyone!

Last night was fine. Second period was meh..Ottawa tightened up. I thought they played a great first and a pretty good third.
Moving on.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Crease

Boyle is an NHL player. I'm glad he's on our team. I would just prefer if he got 4th line minutes instead of 3rd line minutes.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Trade for a top 6 rental winger, move Anisimov to 3rd line C........Boyle to 4th with Prust and they also PK..........its gonna happen , matter of time
This might be the best long term answer. I do not advocate handing Wolski a top 6 job as some others have.
I'd rather sacrifice a draft pick or prospect and get someone who is a proven commodity.

Then we can slot people where they belong (AA is not a top 6 NHL Forward, and I agree that Boyle is best suited in a 4th line role).

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
There IS no predicament, besides the great BM reference.

He's a 4th liner who Torts plays too much. I love Torts, but that's been one of his weaknesses this season. Boyle is not going to succeed when he's expected to bring offense and stop top lines because more often then not that's not who he is. Let him go against 2nd and 3rd liners, protect his ice time more, let him PK, and he'll be a beneficial part of this team. As a FOURTH LINER.

THAT'S the only problem- his defense is NOT deteriorating (really? 09/10 Boyle was a completely useless waste of space, this Boyle is decent defensively and is a good PKer) Put him where he should be.

He's starting to become this seasons whipping boy because he had a fluke year last year.

Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Richie-Cally
Hags-Arty-Feds
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Bam, no more relying on Boyle to score 20 goals again.
Wolski on the top line makes me want to puke. The guy does nothing out there to deserve first line minutes.

As for Boyle, he's a 4th line center at this point.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Traderalways

We all know the answer.... Boyle is one of torts guys.... So of course he brings jam and does the little things..... It's a disgrace!!!! Zero accountability!!!!! Mitchell fits into the same equation...

Traderalways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Brian Boyle is not a major issue for this team. The Rangers don't have many flaws, but they do have a couple of far greater issues than Boyle. That said, he's an average 4th line player who is decent defensively, but he drags down far better players like Fedotenko and Hagelin. Boyle is the least valuable player on the team when the likes of Woywitka and Christensen are not dressing.

Next season, I suspect Boyle will either no longer be here, or be relegated to 4th line minutes. I like his locker room presence, but I would not care in the slightest if he was moved. It's not a big loss on the ice.
Very nicely stated.

We should be more worried about how Chris Kreider will impact the team next year and in the future, as he is a more important piece to the team.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
3Four3

Guys, what about that awful power play?

This doesn't take away that Boyle is bad on offense, but, come on! You're going to need goals from the power play in the playoffs. Enough with the tricky passes, enough with taking shots from the blue line, and enough of passing up - pun intended - scoring chances by trying to pass the puck to the "goal scorer."

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:09 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Boyle's line was the best line because Hags and Feds were surging but Boyle couldn't finish anything, or get anything set up, or really do anything beneficial.

He had an awful night. I really hope Torts sees this.
This. Boyle has been awful, for the most part, all season. We all knew last season was an anomaly. Not sure how Torts can't see that.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
NYR Viper

When this team solely relies on Brian Boyle for offense, they are in trouble.

He is a good player to have and many teams would want him. Even if he scores 10 goals this season, he is worth his contract with everything else he brings.

The Rangers are not asking him to be a 30 goal scorer. Just fill his role, which he does. His line has constant pressure in the offensive zone. He PK's. He hits. He fights when it is needed. He wins face-offs. He matches up against the other teams best lines.

The fact that people are all over Brian Boyle for not scoring means there are glaring weaknesses elsewhere in the line-up.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord 2m Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Torts calls out top lines, says he got "squat" from them. Says Boyle's line was best line but can't be for the Rangers.
Can't Tortorella at least give them ONE WHOLE GAME before making this judgment?

For F's sake they have been winning like crazy, all I hear is that you can't change the lineup when it's working so well, blah blah blah...but then after 2 bad periods we bury everyone but Boyle?

Jeebus, just let one whole game play out before benching and crapping all over people.

Toronto has our number so likely another loss. It happens, the Rangers are not in fact the best team in the league, so they are going to come down a bit.

It's only a week before Boston right? The top lines will all be dead after team thug life is done with them, then we can play Brian Boyle non-stop.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Our top two lines aren't going to produce every night. It's just not going to happen. And when they can't score, who are we going to rely on? Okay, Feds had the goal against Phoenix, and Rupp had the two goals against Philly in the WC. But what I'm getting at is that we don't have a third line who can put the puck in the net because the guy getting 3rd line minutes at the center position is awful.

Feds is on pace for around 12-13 goals, Hags is on pace for around 15, yet the guy who is centering them is on pace for 4.

And stop using the old excuse that "we just like to complain about something." No. It is a legitimate concern when your 3rd line center is on pace for 4 goals. Win or lose, this is troubling.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

eh Boyle is far from the problem... just my opinion.

Gabby had ZERO shots last night?

Torts does what he does. He will play guys who are playing his system over guys having an off night. It's a long season

01-13-2012, 10:20 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Still don't figure how Wolski was outplayed by Boyle. Or how Boyle was good.

His work down low was good. Fantastic, didn't stop the other team from taking it back down the ice against his line and scoring.

Boyle whiffed on good chances, got scored on when he was on the ice, and also because i'm mad at him i'm gonna say he somehow deflected blame off himself when everyone was saying Arty gaffe'd on the first goal (not Arty's fault Boyle doesn't know how to handle a ****ing pass.) Arty passed it to him and what does Boyle do? What he usually does, **** up the pass and not do anything productive with it.

He did nothing to warrant the minutes he got (and gets), yet he got them (and gets them, and probably will continue to get them sadly.)
Yeah it was very disappointing to see Arty get benched when Boyle f'd the play up. He was turned around backwards as the pass was being made and took himself out. Arty thinks he has a competent player reading the play so he makes a pass to break an odd man rush and next thing you know he's benched. Fedotenko and Hagelin were great tonight, it's a shame Boyle was between them.

And to everyone complaining about people complaining, Boyle has been bad for over a year now. It's not like this just started. He doesn't take the body anymore, can't stay on his skates, and has no confidence offensively. We know he's a 4th line player, it's Torts that doesn't see that. It's frustrating to see a guy like Boyle get all the 3rd period minutes knowing he's not gonna score when you're down by 1 in a tight game. Brian Boyle should not lead the forwards in icetime. EVER.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Yeah it was very disappointing to see Arty get benched when Boyle f'd the play up. He was turned around backwards as the pass was being made and took himself out. Arty thinks he has a competent player reading the play so he makes a pass to break an odd man rush and next thing you know he's benched.
That is seeing what you want to see. Artie makes a one-touch pass in the neutral zone without looking. You have to know who you're on the ice against and either take the time to male a good pass or get it deep against Spezza and co.

01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

It's not about getting rid of him necessarily, I just want something done to put him where he belongs. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he fits well on the fourth line, which he does, and if he continues to put on a hard forecheck should be fine.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
That is seeing what you want to see. Artie makes a one-touch pass in the neutral zone without looking. You have to know who you're on the ice against and either take the time to male a good pass or get it deep against Spezza and co.
If Boyle doesn't turn around in the neutral zone as the play is happening Arty hits him in stride with that pass. That's what he expected so that's why he made the pass. I see that as Boyle's fault, not seeing what I want to see. If Arty dumps it in deep, everyone would be freaking out how he threw away an odd man rush. If you thought you had a chance for an odd man rush, would you dump and chase?

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote