HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-12-2012, 10:30 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Well seeing how he's a FA at the end of the season and Sather doesn't seem to have any desire to put him on re-entry waivers and risk having a team claim him and have dead capspace — yeah I think it's the end of Avery's career as a Ranger.
he was called up once and played well. he could be called up again.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
chip chipperson*

and by that i mean due to injuries

Old
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
he was called up once and played well. he could be called up again.
Not if some team wants to claim him, he can't be called up and stay with the Rangers.

And he played so well, why is he back in Hartford?

01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
This is another example of the cap hurting the team and a player. Redden is toiling in the minors because it pays $6+ million a year. But he knows that the cap is preventing him from getting a chance to play in the NHL again. Otherwise the Rangers would just pay him off as they did in the old days. The Rangers would have no problem letting Avery go if it didn't hurt the team. But because the NHL wants to be widely popular instead of just a better league they insist on allowing cities that can't compete in the NHL in so the true hockey markets are forced to sacrifice their game.
The salary cap is the best thing to happen to this team since we won the cup. If you don't believe that, then you haven't been paying attention.

No one is holding a gun to either Redden's or Avery's head. Both are free to terminate their contracts, but they have chosen not to. They would rather play in the AHL and get the big bucks than break their contract and risk not getting another NHL job, or getting a job that pays far less.

I don't blame them for that, but I'm not going to cry for them either. They've made their choice. Things could be a lot worse. They could be NFL players who don't have guaranteed contracts.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Not if some team wants to claim him, he can't be called up and stay with the Rangers.

Singn, enough with this crap argument. We get enough of it from the peanut gallery and it's been talked about again and again and again. This coach does not want him on the team. He hasn't from day one. That's fine. It's his team and his prerogative. If people really think someone like John Mitchell is a better hockey player there's nothing to talk about. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how Avery played. That much was clear. The coach doesn't want him here. Hopefully Avery gets another chance somewhere else and does what he usually does...put up double digit goals and 30 points. Then we can sit here again and listen to everyone talk about how he's terrible at hockey and shouldn't be in the NHL.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
There is no other team. This is false news purposely spread by Sather in an attempt to make other teams think about trading anything for Avery. I bet someone bites too. Sather is an evil genius.
My thoughts exactly. It is an advertisement with full (or fool?) disclosure!

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

he did play well, and just because there is a team possibly interested in him now, doesn't mean in a month from now that same team would still be interested.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'm happy having Avery as potential depth. Come playoff time, he could be a valuable ace in the hole.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
he did play well, and just because there is a team possibly interested in him now, doesn't mean in a month from now that same team would still be interested.
He didn't play well. He had a few good games but overall, he didn't do enough to stay.

And I think giving his agent permission to find a job in the KHL doesn't seem like sound like Avery is in the organization's future plans.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
He didn't play well. He had a few good games but overall, he didn't do enough to stay.

And I think giving his agent permission to find a job in the KHL doesn't seem like sound like Avery is in the organization's future plans.
He didn't do enough to stay? Seriously? Some timely goals and strong forechecking while getting about seven minutes a game. Yeah, he was terrible you're right. The coach didn't want him here. That's all this has ever been. Because he's a 4th liner who can play up, it's not the end of the world that he's been washed away by the head coach. That much I understand. The coach even admitted it was his fault by not actually using him. What a strange coincidence.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I'd bet it was Pittsburgh. I'd almost guarantee it.
I can't see the Rangers trading him to Pittsburgh, Edmonton, yes, Pittsburgh, I dunno...both teams are decimated by injuries and Edmonton can use his edge in their lineup to take the attention off their kids.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I can't see the Rangers trading him to Pittsburgh, Edmonton, yes, Pittsburgh, I dunno...both teams are decimated by injuries and Edmonton can use his edge in their lineup to take the attention off their kids.
Ya I don't want to see him to a potential playoff team in the East, and most of those teams probably don't want to spend their cap space on Avery. Team out west with cap space and playoff ambitions this season would be the best option for all parties.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm happy having Avery as potential depth. Come playoff time, he could be a valuable ace in the hole.
Our 'aces in the hole' are already in the line-up and part of our core... No bottom 6 forward is going to put the Rangers 'over the top'...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:58 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

he did play well. he had offers to go the khl before he was called up the 1st time. next.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Avery back in lineup for Whale, benched for duration after 2d period misconduct for abuse of officials. Very unhealthy situation.
http://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/s...11783307137024

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Avery is being a pain in the ass. He is losing his mind again. The Rangers should send him home. Pay him his salary so the NHLPA doesn't file a grievance. Montreal did it with Georges Laraque. January 21,2010.

Quote:
Georges Laraque will not play another game with the Montreal Canadiens.

General manager Bob Gainey contacted him Thursday morning and told him that head coach Jacques Martin didn't have any confidence in him anymore and the team believes they can win without the enforcer in the lineup. The club will pay his salary for the rest of the season and will buy out the rest of his contract at the end of the 2009-10 campaign.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307080

Quote:
Gainey met with Laraque prior to the Canadiens' practice Thursday and gave him the news.

"I told him that he would not be continuing as part of our group for the rest of this season, for reasons of lack of productivity and distractions to our group. We felt our goals were more achievable to continue without him as part of the group."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514451

Avery is an embarrassment and a distraction to the Rangers organization. Ken Gernander shouldn't have to deal with Avery's antics.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Vitto79

yep Avery needs to get lost..........i dont know the whole story but it sounds ridiculous

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Avery is being a pain in the ass. He is losing his mind again. The Rangers should send him home. Pay him his salary so the NHLPA doesn't file a grievance. Montreal did it with Georges Laraque. January 21,2010.

Avery is an embarrassment and a distraction to the Rangers organization. Ken Gernander shouldn't have to deal with Avery's antics.
As usual, great job reporting and digging up these references.

I've always been a big fan of Avery, but he's being a punk. He doesn't want to be in the AHL and he's acting like it. Being benched for a game and then disrespecting the officials. It's heading down a dangerous path.

Paying Avery to sit at home is not a bad option at all. Right now it may be the only option unless Sather can work out some sort of deal with another team willing to put Avery on re-call waivers. Which seems very unlikely.

I don't feel bad for Sean. He's made $16 million these last 4 years for not doing a whole heck of a lot. He's gotta suck it up, play out the rest of the year and then hope a team is willing to give him another chance in the summer.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:02 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Did he actually hit an official, or was it verbal?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Tweet from Bob McKenzie...

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 12m Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
BTW, heard Avery's disciplinary infraction was dress code violation -- jeans and sneakers in lieu of suit. Stuff about spitting nonsensical.

I knew the spitting allegations were false, but first I've heard of what the actual reason was.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

BTW, heard Avery's disciplinary infraction was dress code violation -- jeans and sneakers in lieu of suit. Stuff about spitting nonsensical.

I knew the spitting allegations were false, but first I've heard of what the actual reason was.
So we went from him spitting on the coach and refusing to play to him just wearing jeans and sneakers. Quite the opposites of each other.

01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

He should know by now that a suit is required everywhere. Moronic thing to do.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
So we went from him spitting on the coach and refusing to play to him just wearing jeans and sneakers. Quite the opposites of each other.
Violating the dress code is basically refusing to play, since it is insubordination.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Avery is an idiot but its almost like people are looking to get him on something. That said just get rid of him

its kinda sad that Mitchell , Newbury now subbing in ........Avery is likely better than both but causes too much crap

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

how tough it must be for ken gernander to deal with a guy wearing sneakers. clearly avery has really lost it now.