HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Boone says/Subban says/Pacioretty says

Old
01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Help
Send help

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Subban is a great talent but I have to admit that he is an embarrassment and world class coward far too often.
Call it being a coward, call it being effective. If you just want to use last night as an example, he got his team a PP when he refused to "answer the bell" which they would later score on to get them back into the game

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Subban is young and full of potential. He's having an off year just like everybody else on this team. If they trade him - I'm not following this team anymore until they have new owner.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Gotta love the keyboard warriors calling a NHL player a coward.
... and you gotta love the guy with PK's registered name, defending the coward till the end. Should we really be shocked, a guy with the moniker 'Pernell Karl', refuses to admit PK is a coward at times? I suppose not.

He's a fine young talent, but c'mon.. he's a coward. He'll whack people with a stick, yap till the final whistle, but he won't answer for it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Call it being a coward, call it being effective. If you just want to use last night as an example, he got his team a PP when he refused to "answer the bell" which they would later score on to get them back into the game
Absolutely. He was the only one out there who got something going. **** class. Did the Bruins win the Cup with class? Go out there and play your game PK and be as cocky and keep that grin wide. And anytime you can troll the Bruins into taking dumb penalties that's smart. That's not being a coward.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Who will be voted off the Island next!

Who needs GMs when you have fans and media dictating everything. Great move to fire the coach sure ****ing paid off.

If they trade Subban I think I'm officially done with this team.
You and me both.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
You and me both.
I won't be too far behind... Man this is getting ridiculous. The whole team is playing bad, so ****ing what? Judging by reactions, almost every player should be on the trading block and sucks or is a coward (except a couple --> Eller, Cole, Gorges)... People are fast to forget Subban grew up as a Habs fan and will most likely do anything for the team! Let him play, **** the whiny haters!

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why would it be "idiotic" to trade Subban? More dominant players than PK have been traded. IMO you're creating a supersized image. If you think he will become one of the 10 or 12 best Dmen in the NHL I would disagree with you. Carey Price is one of the top half dozen goaltenders in the league but we couldn't honestly say that any other Hab is in that bracket.
Not 10-12? Perhaps not this year, sure. But in the future?? Can't say that I agree.
The only way you trade such a promising young player is if you get a clear better player, and there aren't too many of them out there. No, not Getzlaf.
I would not even make a heads up trade for him with PK.

PK is the future of our D squad, he already is. He is a very young player, and needs to improve certain things, like his shot, but defensively he is already sound.
I have no interest in moving PK, it would be a big mistake unless you get a guy like Malkin, or Doughty (even then, the difference in money between the both certainly does not equate to the difference in skills). That's not gonna happen, so let's just stick to not moving him.

Price in his 2nd season was the target of many people. He was definitely not top half dozen goaltenders in the NHL that year. Fans booed him and the team. The following year, fans continued by booing him in the first period of the first preseason game.

PK is having a rough year, not as bad as Carey's sophomore year. I think a lot of fans aren't even able to recognize the things he does right, and he does plenty.
You don't trade such a player unless you have one or two others in your rank.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
... and you gotta love the guy with PK's registered name, defending the coward till the end. Should we really be shocked, a guy with the moniker 'Pernell Karl', refuses to admit PK is a coward at times? I suppose not.

He's a fine young talent, but c'mon.. he's a coward. He'll whack people with a stick, yap till the final whistle, but he won't answer for it.
you must have a very long long list of "cowards" when it comes to NHLers.

on a nightly basis I see lot's of guys play as hard, if not harder, than Subban, who rarely drop the gloves and most certainly wouldn't do so with a less skilled tougher guy.

Subban may be cocky as hell, he may be mouthy, he may be too much of a showboat... but just b/c he wont fight a guy like Lucic, or covers up when getting jumped by a guy like Ference after delivering a hit, doesn't make him a coward in my mind.

in fact, watching Subban be willing to go toe-to-toe, between the whistles, with any player in the league (including guys like Lucic or Chara) makes him the exact opposite.

saddly, people want to believe that being a "tough" hockey player is somehow tied to what one is willing to do with their fists AFTER the whistles go... it's ridiculous really.

Dryden described it the best in a recent article... "tough" is playing the game the way Subban does, not backing down an inch while playing the game (unlike guys like Kaberle or Cammy, who shy away from the physical play during the game and avoid the tough areas on the ice).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think it is good that Subban and Pacioretty are coming out and stating what is necessary to win in this league.

These fossils who run the organization know nothing of the game how it's played now and it is evident in every move they make.

I was all for trading Cammy. Did I feel it was necessary to trade him IMMEDIATELY because of his comments? No. Not at all. Every one knows his value was at an all-time low and that if we held on til the deadline we could've had a bidding war between offensively starved teams going into the play-offs. We could have flipped from a position of weakness to strength to better our team.

All the components of the last great Canadiens collapse are present. A reactionary GM who does not know how to get good return for the players he trades. Molson owning the team. The language issue at the forefront once again being allowed to play a part in the management of the team, coaching of the team, players on the team, the organizational perception. The media is using its influence to drag everyone through the mud and forcing our hand to deal from a position of weakness.

We need a confident individual in the GM position who is prepared to face criticisms. Prepared to take the brunt of blame, the ****storm of the politics and the media. To withstand the pressure to WIN NOW. Someone who can remain calm amidst all of this and do what is best for this team.
This is a good post...

PG is lost in the woods. And he prefers listening to the trees then using his compass.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
mrcontractor

I wouldn't have any problems trading PK or anyone else for that matter. It always depends what you get back. I don't think anybody would complain if PK was traded for Crosby (only an example so don't freakout). The return is what you have to look at.

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

If an NHL player called him a coward then so be it, he does some stupid stuff and doesn't back up for it which can be embarrassing and can make him a coward. He's been in 5 fights the last 2 years so he has answered for it in the past, just find it funny/ironic when people who have probably never been in a fight in their life are calling him a coward because he's backed out of fights before after making a dirty play or yapping.

If he was a coward however he wouldn't be trying to play physical against Boston at all, he's going after their big guys all game and roughing it up a bit after the whistles with their big guys.. just because he doesn't drop his gloves doesn't mean he's a coward. Are people going to start calling Emelin a coward when he doesn't fight after he hits a few guys in the future?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
mrcontractor

Throwing himself on the ground and turtling yesterday after giving the elbow to the head, didn't help his case either.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Finally some people see the light. HOW MANY YEARS HAVE I BEEN ASKING FOR THIS! No, I'm not a Bruins fans, but I'm a fan of their style. And the Habs were just going the total opposite way. We,ve got to back to the roots. You need the greatest of mix between talent and toughness. Boston has it. We still don't by a mile.

So now that players are asking for it, can we take it now seriously?
Yay !!! Someone else who really truly gets it.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:55 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

PK a coward ?

Why then did he threw himself into Krejci for a big hit, knowing he'd had the entire Bruins bench targeting him for the rest of the game. All game he was booed by Bruins fans, and he still dosen't back off, throw a big hit to irritate them a little bit more, turtles to piss them off, smiles as he skates to the penalty box. Yeah, real coward. Arrogant ? yes. Coward ? he'd then stop to hit if he was a coward, don't you think ? He's a very courageous kid imo.

I don't really like players that start **** and don't fight, but guess what ? That's the NHL right now, rats are running around when the cats are missing. Blame it on the instigator rule, blame it on modern society where violence shouldn't be used to solve anything. hitting is part of the game, fighting is not.

He did his job, big hit, drew a penalty on Ference. Wish he'd be a better fighter though. He's simply not good enough to drop 'em so he turtles and get the Habs a PP.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
PunkinDrublic*

I think Bergeron is a racist. He has been after PK's head all season. Anyone who thinks PK should be traded needs his head examined.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

The thing is, I'd love to have Getzlaf, but if we trade Subban, we're creating another hole. That's why it's so important that we draft that #1 centre instead of trading our good young players for it.

Or at least, if you trade Subban+ for Getzlaf, you need vision in order to make this team better than before. Not sure our current GM has it.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Subban's play to close out last year and in the playoffs, was very much at the level of top 10, if not top 5, in the league.

he was playing 28+ minutes a game in the B's series, and was (even factoring in Cammy's goal scoring), the habs best player on the ice.

He's been shaky this season, and yet still being used almost 24 min/game in his sophomore season.

I don't know where you'd rank him right now, based on his play I still think he'd have to be in the top 30 in the league, and he has a grand total of 142 games on his NHL resume.

let's talk again when Subban is at ~300 games, I suspect that by then he will definitively be in the top 15, if not top 10 conversation.

I think, given how big his personality is, and how quickly he's emerged as a minute-crunching 1st pairing dman, people seem forget that he's a 2nd year player, and a guy that is only 22 years old who has established himself far quicker than even the most optimistic observer speculated at the time of his drafting.

his attitude needs a bit of mentoring, a problem in part to do with how quickly he became the clear cut best dman on his team imo, but his work ethic, intensity and skill are without a doubt a level where it would be foolish to think he won't get a lot better as time goes by.
Well said. Anyone thinking to trade Subban for any short of a massive overpayment is completely out to lunch.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
MasterD

Quote:

What the hell are you talking about? Playing a physical game with a chip on your shoulder is a great way to get the other team off their game plan... No need to fight and risk getting injured when you're the #1 (#2 if it pleases you) defenseman on your team, playing 25 minutes a game.

Go watch the MMA or boxing if you want to see fights, this is hockey.

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
The thing is, I'd love to have Getzlaf, but if we trade Subban, we're creating another hole. That's why it's so important that we draft that #1 centre instead of trading our good young players for it.

Or at least, if you trade Subban+ for Getzlaf, you need vision in order to make this team better than before. Not sure our current GM has it.
I'd personnally be willing (not happy, but willing) to build a package around Pacioretti for a big centre. Especially with 3 other big wingers in the top 6 right now...

Subban? That big centre would have to come with another big minutes dman... and then it gets complicated.

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Subban is a great talent but I have to admit that he is an embarrassment and world class coward far too often.
I think it's pretty obvious he's doing it on purpose to draw penalties rather than out of fear.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
smon

Well, with the way this year has gone I would not be surprised to see Plekanec go. The team's core is being changed.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Okay, I'll play along...

Why would he? To fulfill the fantasies of Bruins fans?

He wouldn't be half as effective if he let Thornton beat the living **** out of him.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:36 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
I think Bergeron is a racist. He has been after PK's head all season. Anyone who thinks PK should be traded needs his head examined.
WOW! We actually agree on something... I can't believe this!

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcontractor View Post
Throwing himself on the ground and turtling yesterday after giving the elbow to the head, didn't help his case either.
It got his team a PP and they scored their only goal on it.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
mrcontractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
It got his team a PP and they scored their only goal on it.
And ? It could of gone the other way as well and not scored. Point is, he still did it and it wasn't to draw the penalty. He always does crap like that. Lapierre used to draw so much criticism for the same stuff.