HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

too harsh on the team

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2005, 01:25 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
too harsh on the team

as a new yorker i also am a very strong critic... We all adore them when they win and hate them when they lose. "Rangers suck" has been the common theme this past week with 3 loses. It seems as if everyone is scrambling for new players with all these trade talks. Every team has their slumps...

The only way we're gonna win games is if we move. To tell the truth we played a hell of a game in Vancouver. Colorado was just frustrating (not enough good chances) and NJ did catch a lucky break. The team's gonna bounce back (if i remember correctly we lost 2 in a row twice and came back to win 5 and then 6 in a row). Players have to start taking energy from Prucha and other young-guns. Hollweg has gotta start hitting and Ortmeyer's gotta start blocking shots. We found ways to win before and Im sure we'll find the winning ways again.

My only problem has been the play of Nylander. Also, Poti has a weak shot and shouldnt be on the PP, as well as on hte PK I think we should put Rucinsky and Straka on different PP lines. Rucinsky has a hell of a shot and that should be used more.. especially on the point on PP's.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Fletch

You say Jersey caught a 'lucky' break...

I think we said that about the Rangers many times when they were winning earlier this season. Now that they're losing, the supporters are saying at least it was close. I remember a Phil Mushnik article on the Knicks recently as he was saying how the announcers were talking about this 6-13 team that was losing, but in close games. Still 6-13.

What people are talking about is that the three game losing streak that's accentuated because it's a home, and the Rangers were a team that was dominant on home ice (10-2-2). One game losses, while close, are still losses. Now they're 10-5-2 on home ice, which is respectable, but not as dominant.

Also, what we're saying is that the three losses highlight criticisms of this team that the coach never fully addressed, and that was the over-dependence on Jagr, and the PP. He spoke of the PP, talked about more movement, talked about shots from the point. Jagr disagreed, got all the ice time, and the PP looked no different in the past 10 games. On the offense, he moved Straka to center, Nylander down, Rucchin down, etc. Not too drastic, because the look is still the same: relying on Jagr. And now, Nylander's centering Jagr again with Straka on the wing. Back to what didn't work in the first place.

Like I said, the losses highlight defeciencies that were brought up a long time ago and we've talked about it in here for some time.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Thats how New York sports fans have always been. Any team...Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Giants, Knicks, Jets, etc. if they start to lose people will say they suck. If they start winning they praise them. Its always been like this forever.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Losing magnifies the team's faults 100X, simple as that. This team has had flaws from day one, but since we were winning they got pushed to the back burner in our excitement. A subpar month of December, and a 3 game losing streak later, the honeymoon is over, reality has set in. I hope to god they snap out of it though, don't get me wrong.

The breaks aren't going our way, we aren't busting our ***** any more, Jagr is cold, Nylander is lost, the d-men are inept for half of the game, the PP is useless, we take too many penalties...etc. etc.

Personally, I'm just frustrated. We streaked out to a great record and lead, but since then have forgotten almost everything that had gotten us there. I don't think a trade will save us and guarantee us a playoff spot, but it might shake up or wake up this predictable and tired/indifferent team.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Maybe this team is exactly what we thought it would be when the season started.

12-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Losing magnifies the team's faults 100X, simple as that. This team has had flaws from day one, but since we were winning they got pushed to the back burner in our excitement. A subpar month of December, and a 3 game losing streak later, the honeymoon is over, reality has set in. I hope to god they snap out of it though, don't get me wrong.
Bingo. I was going to write something similar but you did a much better job.

This team is at a crossroads where another loss or two could break this team. As well, if they run off another 5 or 6 game winning streak, they are looking good for a possible playoff run.

From what I've seen, the former is looking good right now.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
RangersFan88*

its true that we need al little more depth in the team but this little loosing streak isnt anything that big ...
we'll bounce back that for sure
btw before the season nearly all of us were already used to them loose and now that they won 20 and suddenly loose 3 in a row we all start paniking
i'm just saying ,chill
thats the way the nhl is u can win 5 games in a row and them loose 10
**** happens

Old
12-21-2005, 02:34 PM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
are u a real fan ?!

Old
12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
DontStaal

well im goin to the game tomorrow (dont noe how yet) but I really want to get my money's-worth. These past two games have truly been poorly played. I think they'll wake up. All the team needs right now is a win to get the mojo flowing again.

Old
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan88
are u a real fan ?!

Thanks for the thoughtful retort.

This team is, and has been, a team with serious flaws. These flaws are being exploited now.

Old
12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan88
are u a real fan ?!
come now, let's be honest, SI wasn't the alone place that picked the rangers to be in kessel sweepstakes before the season began. everyone here was worried about this team, and were prepared to accept losing as part of rebuilding. now what we're seeing, i think, is people who got their hopes up that this team was going to miracualously become a serious contender because they work hard, and have ignored the shortcomings of the talent of this team because the results were good.

i think what singin was trying to say, and i agree with this, is that the team clearly isn't as bad off as people thought, but to think our lack of raw talent, physicality, etc, isn't going to bring us into slumps like this is not realistic.

Old
12-21-2005, 04:22 PM
shoothepuck

Flaws remain flaws if they are not corrected. It is now up to the players and coaching staff to review the tapes and make adjustments. Some flaws cannot be corrected except by a trade or calling up a player, and that may have to happen in the next few weeks. The players as a whole have to feel that they are not putting their best game on the ice and start playing the way they did at the start of the season.

Old
12-21-2005, 05:16 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Not much separates the "bad teams" from the "good teams" in the NHL. You can have better players on paper and still finish towards the bottom of the standings (the Rangers proved this theory), then you have a team like the Flames in 04' or the Ducks the year before that. Make no mistake about it - the Rangers can go far this year if they have similar characteristics of the teams mentioned. This means great goaltending, hard working team play and discipline. The last two have been the problem as of late, and when I say as of late I mean like the last 6 games. We have been getting lucky on some of those games but you can't rely on luck to win you every game. The devils did get a lucky goal that cost us the game but you can't overlook the amount of penalties that we took in the game and the fact that we were out shot 13-7 in the 3rd period.You can't expect to come out a winner while the team takes 12 minors (many of them careless) in a game.

Old
12-21-2005, 05:18 PM
polako

i dont think this team is headed for a freefall (the goaltending and overall team defense is stable), but it could definitely use some adjustments. However, i think NYR should see if these adjustments can come from within, this being a rebuilding season and all.

Old
12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful retort.

This team is, and has been, a team with serious flaws. These flaws are being exploited now.
Yeah, and that's where True Blue's Renney rant is perfect. The Rangers have been figured out it seems after two months. Jagr took the team on his back for a month or more, then Prucha for a bit longer. Jagr is just not effective anymore, and how much longer can Prucha keep potting 2 goals a game?

But no changes are being made to circumvent this. Jagr keeps getting hounded, the PP sucks, accountability is lacking, no line matching, ineffective offensive tactics...etc.

Lots of talk about what's wrong and how to fix it, and no results.

Old
12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
natureboy*

As crazy as this sounds but i think the rangers winning all those games early has hurt them. Now they are viewed as having to make the playoffs because of there start they had. If they finish 10th it would be viewed as a failure even though we found a 1# goalie and a possible star in prucha.

Old
12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
DontStaal

still have a playoff shot in Eastern conf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
As crazy as this sounds but i think the rangers winning all those games early has hurt them. Now they are viewed as having to make the playoffs because of there start they had. If they finish 10th it would be viewed as a failure even though we found a 1# goalie and a possible star in prucha.
.. i mean most of the teams in the Eastern Conference are bad. I definitely think we have a playoff shot.. we'll definitely finish behind the flyers but there are other teams we can beat (including devils, islanders, leafs). We just have to play to par, connect on passes (no way!) and not take stupid penalties (at least not 12 per game!). Then we're a good team.The Eastern Conference is like the NFC in football.

I want to see the Ranger's next three games (Tampa, Ott , and NYI). If the results are similar, changes will have to be made

Old
12-21-2005, 08:57 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Quote:
I have been thinking the same thing. Are the Rangers in a slump, which every team has, or is this just the REAL Rangers. We know we can play with any team but only if we start playing like we did earlier in the season. By outworking the other team and some scoring wouldn't hurt either.

Old
12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I don't think anybody is being too harsh and i'm the worst offender of calling people out for that. (and i was wrong)

Singin maybe the team is coming back to earth but they still should make the playoffs. If the Rangers play 500 the rest of the way that will get them about 90 points. That should get them into the playoffs which should be the goal of this team. Just don't do something stupid and start trading kids for vets to guarantee a spot. Not when guys like Dawes and Immonen can be called up to inject much needed offense into the lineup. Jesus even Pock should be called up just to QB the power play. He can't be worse than Straka and maybe he will put the puck on net.

The Rangers need to go back to the one game at a time mentality. They have been lacking it for three weeks.

Old
12-23-2005, 04:28 PM
natureboy*

Normal years i think 90 points would get in but now with the shootout it will take more points to get in.

Old
12-23-2005, 04:46 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Against the 'Nucks an Avs, we went down fighting. Both close games that we just barely lost. The game against New Jersey was pathetic.

Old
12-23-2005, 08:28 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Against the 'Nucks an Avs, we went down fighting. Both close games that we just barely lost. The game against New Jersey was pathetic.
I don't see how the Avs game was closer than the Devils game? We were this close (I'm holding my fingers closely right now to show how close it was) from a win, against the Avs we were down 1 goal but it felt like 10 with their game killing D.

Old
12-23-2005, 08:34 PM
92hatchattack

Frankly im sick and tired of the way the fans treat the team they are suposed to be suporting. I mean **** man, some of these guys dont like Poti, but how the hell are you going to boo a guy after hes just made the game winning goal?

I go to games and it seems like there is no suport for the team somtimes. Hell, i was at the Carolinia home game, and i head a carolinia fan sitting a few seats down comment on how damn quiet the stadium was compared to Carolinas...Thats pathetic to hear expesialy when you team plays for the greatest city in the world.

I dont know.... maybe i dont get it because im a Rangers fan from Jersey?

Old
12-23-2005, 10:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Guys, am I the only one who thought that the team played well against Jersey, but was done in by too many penalties which eventually caught up to them in the third (not on the penalty, but in how it threw their game off) and then VERY much looked like the team of old last night?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the late 80s Oilers would have the occasional 3 game losing streak.

I don't think that this team is going to win it all, but I am now convinced that we're in the playoffs (and out of the Kessel race) and frankly am pleased (especially because I like a number of our kids who aren't playing in the pros yet). I feel we're in a no-lose situation: trade Jags for a crapload of value or ride him deep into the playoffs, either way, we've got a team we can really root for. (Which is saying a lot, given our past 7 years and what I'm looking at right now as a Knicks fan too.)

Closed Thread