HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Gauthier moves as GM

Old
01-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Bourque is also older than Cammy this year and he is playing substantially worse than even this year's Cammy.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Hey I posted this on the main board, but thanks to "sheed36" suggestion, I thought I'd post there here. Again I'm not so much saying he is a good GM, but is he as bad as ppl some people make him seem. Because to me, he has made a Gomez/Ribeiro type mistake..

I noticed that PG gets a lot of heat from Hab fans and around the league, so I tried to break down most of his moves as the GM of the Habs, and tried to put my 2 cents in it. Wondering what you guys think, because I don’t think he is as bad as people make him seem. I try to touch all the bases, like cap issue, trades, singings, MTL size issue etc.

1: Pulushaj for Matt D’agostini

D’agostini had 2 goals and 4 points in 44 games at the time of the trade and would have needed to go through waivers to be sent down.
Pulushaj was a 2nd round draft pick, and hasn’t shown much in the NHL yet, but is still only 22 and in two AHL season he has put up 22G,57P in 68 games, and this year: 23 points in 21 games in the AHL.
I would say this was a win for the Habs, because it gave them a decent prospect for a guy that most likely would have lost through waivers.

2: 2nd round pick for Dominic Moore

Moore was good for the Habs during their playoff run in 2010.
He was let go, but PG signed Halpern to a 1 year 600K, and IMO Halpern has just as good as Moore was last year.
I’d say this was a decent move aswell, but seeing how Halpern went to the Caps July 1st, and Blair Betts claim on waivers didn’t work for the Habs, PG had to trade Brocks Trotter (AHL) and a 7th round pick for Joe Cllahan (AHL) and Nokelainen.
I’d say that was a bad move in not addressing it earlier and using a 7th round pick for Nokelainen.

3: Lapierre for a 5th: Then Traded the 5th for Mara.

Basically traded Lapierre for Mara.
IMO could have waited a little long and got a bit more for Lapierre, like a 3rd which the Ducks traded him for at the deadline, but Lapierre did ask for a trade out of MTL.

4: Sopel, Dawes(AHL), for Maxwell and a 4th.

Basically a 4th for Maxwell, Sopel was really good for us so I think this was a really good trade even though PG let him walk, but it was just for a 4th round pick.
5: Ryan O’byrne for Michael Bournival: I think this is a lot like the Dags for Pulashaj trade, O’byrne is a 5-6 depth D-man, and Bournival has the could possible become a good 3rd-4thliner.

6: S.Kostitsyn for Boyd and Ellis:

Horrible trade, traded a 2-3rd line player, for basically nothing. But S.kost did have some problems with MTL, but PG should have tried to get some picks instead.

7: Halak for Eller and Schultz:

First, he had the guts to trade Halak when almost everyone was expecting Price to be traded. And Price has shown that it was the right choice.
But the trade itself. Some say he could have waited, but IMO if he had waited, he could have risked having to take a 1st round pick and 3rd instead of Eller and Schultz, who were actually former 1st round picks and 3rd round picks themselves. Had PG waited to July 1st, say St Louis signed Halak to an offer sheet of 3.75M per, MTL would have gotten a 1st, and 3rd the next year, and MTL valued Eller Schultz>1st/3rd in 2011, so I would call this a good trade for MTL.

8: Wiz for a 2nd/Markov 5.75/3 years:

PG was able to get Wiz for only a 2nd round pick and got him for 43 games, while other guys Macable went for a 3rd at the dealine, and Kaberle went for a 1st/2nd and a prospect.
But he chose to sign Markov at 3 years 5.75 instead of Wiz at 6 year 5.5. Now I would not have signed Wiz, but so far the Markov signing which was a risk has been very bad. The only bright spot is that Markov should be back after the All Star break which should he him finish the season and play about 30 game, this allows MTL an Markov to see if he can still play hockey and if so great, if not they know he will be on the IR for the rest of contract.

9: Kaberle for Spacek:

IMO this trade is basically like signing Kaberle for 4.25M for 2 years, seeing Spacek would have been a UFA after this season. Kaberle has been decent in MTL 8 points in 13 games, only -2 on a bad team, but he has been player in a 3rd pairing role. Seems like a decent move. His 4.25 cap hit is only 6.75% of the cap, and if you look down below on the team chart, you could see that his cap hit doesn’t affect the team resigning key players.

10: Signed Cole/Daiz and Emelin/Campoli

All seem to be really good additions. Campoli hasn’t been that good, but he left Hamrlik walk when he wanted a 2 year deal, so it good that he signed Campoli instead, who could probably get us a draft pick at the deadline, than have Hamrlik for another year.

11: Scouting changes

PG made a big change to the scouting staff for the Habs, and while I don’t know much about the changes, put I do know he bought in Ryan Jankowski would was Ast GM for the Islanders and head of their scouting, he drafted guys like Andrew Macdonald, Travis Hamonic, De Haan.

12: MTL “size issue”

A lot of fans think MTL is too small to win, while I don’t agree with it, pretty much all of PG moves has been to bring more size to the team. Eller and Schultz, both 6’2, signing of Cole, bring over Emelin, even small deals like Bluden 6’4 for Russel (AHL), letting Pyatt walk and replace him with White.

13: “Management”

I remember someone made a thread because he thought PG was a rat or something, because he said “were sorry if we offended anyone’ for hiring a English only speaking coach. Now I think that’s misguided. When he first fired JM (who was not his choice for coach), he said RC was the best guy at the moment, and that French isn’t an issue and it’s something that can be learnt. After the backlash, it was the owner(to be fair, the money he borrowed came from companies like Bell Media which owns RDS) that made a statement saying sorry to offered anyone and that RW is just an interim and things will be revaluated in the summer.

Also some say blame him that he didn’t talk contact with Wiz and Halak, when he didn’t want to resign either and he felt that he knew what their value was, (he was right on Halak).

When Spacek was trade for Kaberle, PG told Spacek that he had been traded, but he couldn’t tell him where because it didn’t get NHL approval yet and that it would be best to wait until the other GM got in touch with him. Some say why even tell Spacek he was traded if I wasn’t official, but on the other hand, how bad would it have looked if the Canes actually called Spacek to welcome and tell him the travel without him knowing he was even traded by the Habs.

Also this seems to go against some of what other player agents have been saying . Gorges for example, said that he appreciated how PG was always honest with him in contract talks, and give him details of why they could only offer him 1 year deal in the summer.

Also Price agent also said that PG was great in the sense that when though Price only said a few days before Camp started, that PG would let them know whenever rumors came up about MTL going after another goalie that they weren’t true/

14: Cap:

When the Kaberle trade happened, and also recently, PG was asked about how the trade made no sense because of cap space for the next year, and he responded, by saying that cap space is an issue that can be resolved, and it won’t affect signing players they want, and recently he said that he had “all the resources” to him in regargs to cap space. IMO that clearly is a sign that Gomez will not be with the team beyond this season, IMO most likely loaned to Europe like Heut. With that, Mtl would easily have a line going into next season of, this is with this year cap, and trying a realistic salary for eacher player signing or resigning. Added Bryan Allen type player for 3.5M per, and Stoll type player for 3.75, a guy that can play Centre or Wing, incase MTL want doesn’t want to go with Plek-DD-Eller, someone like Stoll, Ruutu or Brodizak are guy that could fit that role IMO.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.750m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.750m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.000m)
Bryan Allen ($3.500m) / P.K. Subban ($3.000m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Peter Budaj ($1.150m) / Carey Price ($5.000m)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,100,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,200,000
LoL wut?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Mike Cammalleri
533 games 406 pts

Rene Bourque
432 Games 239 pts

How does the Habs pay a first and second round pick for a 5.5 million dollar Alex Tanguay ,YET only get's a 2nd round pick for Cammalleri???

Also what was the rush to trade Cammalleri? Why not closer to deadline?You don't think a CONTENDER would have offered us alot better deal?
Yeah, let the team wait until he gets injured...

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Mike Cammalleri
533 games 406 pts

Rene Bourque
432 Games 239 pts

How does the Habs pay a first and second round pick for a 5.5 million dollar Alex Tanguay ,YET only get's a 2nd round pick for Cammalleri???

Also what was the rush to trade Cammalleri? Why not closer to deadline?You don't think a CONTENDER would have offered us alot better deal?
Oh yeah cause we traded Camalleri for a 2nd only. havent you forgot bourque?
a contender team rarely have 6 millions free in cap space

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:23 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Bourque is also older than Cammy this year and he is playing substantially worse than even this year's Cammy.
by 6 month

I'd accept a "bad" Bourque with 13 goals than a better Camalleri at 9 goals + 2.7 millions free in cap space

Old
01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
by 6 month

I'd accept a "bad" Bourque with 13 goals than a better Camalleri at 9 goals + 2.7 millions free in cap space
13 goals halfway through the season isnt bad. At 3.3 million not bad at all.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:56 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
13 goals halfway through the season isnt bad. At 3.3 million not bad at all.
Agreed as 13 goals is more then every Hab sans Cole and he's on pace for 26, which if he breaks 20 it will be 4 years in a row for him, third in a row of 25+.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

With the 3 millions with are saving with the move, is it possible now to buy out Gomer's contract ?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:20 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
With the 3 millions with are saving with the move, is it possible now to buy out Gomer's contract ?
I doubt they would do that, they rather just send him to Europe on a loan on something.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I doubt they would do that, they rather just send him to Europe on a loan on something.
Ok, thanks

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smon

Quote:
I hope so. If not I will not be surprised to see players like Plekanec traded.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:24 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
I am against buy out Gomez.

he hearns 7.3 millions (in cap)
2.4 millions in penalty for 4 years is really bad.

they can instead give him 10 millions to play in AHL with 0 penalty in cap space

Old
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

IMO, this quote by Bob McKenzie says it all

"Pierre Gauthier isn't going to win any popularity contests either, which may cloud the judgmental equation more than a little."

Example: This clown talking out of his behind Pierre McGuire..Saying PG was on a fight during the trade deadline when it turns out it wasn't true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqtFvh-cGwY

Like Bob McKenzie basically calling PG a lair for saying this was in the works since Dec, and then the Flames GM also says its been going on for a while.

Then Leburn saying one GM didn't know Cammy was up for grabs, heck all of HFboards was making proposals for Cammy and a real life GM couldn't figure out after the media fuss around him?

Again not defend him but he gets crapped on a lot more than he deserves.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote