HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD2012 rules discussion thread (see post 169 for the latest proposed rules)

Old
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
It is true that it's better to be near the end of a tier than the start, but the differences are small and in the long run, while 5th or 6th may be the start of a tier and 10/11th the end, maybe in the 3rd or 5th round that 5th/6th pick gets the start of a tier. And early on, getting the pick of a tier has it's value, especially if you have a direction you wish to head it.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it may seem advantageous at the early going, the effect of tiers is prevalent from start to finish and because of the snaking order, everyone will benefit and suffer from being in the right/wrong spot of a tier needing the right/wrong thing.
You're right that it balances out pretty much in the end, and the best drafter is likely to do well no matter where their first selection is. My point is that because of how strong the group of GM's here is, that initial slight advantage in placement could ultimately be the difference in a playoff series. The only reason that it balances out is because of luck and certain players falling. However, in the case that throughout the whole draft there are no "steals" or falling players, there are a few easily identifiable positions that would hypothetically have an advantage.

But whatever, it's all semantics. I'm fine with the draft lottery.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I would argue that even with the level of skill GMs have, there are still steals and fallers just because need and perceived value fluctuate.

01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
seventieslord

I'm a non-particiant. if my wisdom counts for anything, my vote is for no trade cap.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Oh, there are still players who fall.

I think there are still out there players who were better than we realize, and who can be pimped by good research. Their numbers go down every draft, but I think there are still a few out there.

The three trade cap was an abomination for which VanI will burn in fantasy hockey hell. We're better off just having a review committee and no specific restrictions.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Also in favor of no trade cap (or a much higher one like 10, just to make sure someone doesn't go crazy and waste time trying to trade every round)

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Hawkman
A Man and The Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
... The three trade cap was an abomination for which VanI will burn in fantasy hockey hell. ...
Tell us how you really feel.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote