HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#44 Kings vs Stars 1/12/12, Post Game S/O Loss, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-13-2012, 08:41 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
The Kings did not necessarily lose because of the refereeing tonight. But it was still a horribly refereed game.

Bad non-calls, very badly wrong calls, and loss of control over the game is the trifecta of bad refereeing, and we saw that tonight.

I would be none too pleased tonight if I were the league supervisor of on-ice officiating.
This, absolutely. I blame the loss on the piss-poor performance of Kings shooters in the S/O, and the defensive lapses in the first period.

Separately from the result -- the officiating was atrocious. Inconsistent and incoherent. Not specifically biased, not slanted, not to the specific advantage of either team, but unquestionably atrocious, especially in the calls at that final scrum. The non-call immediately before the third Dallas goal can be reasonably debated -- but the crew clearly was shaken by that outcome and called the rest of the game in a reactive fashion, instead of a proper fashion. Both fan bases should be very upset with the performance of that crew last night.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Oh -- and back-to-back four-plus-goal games? Three PP goals? Very nice things to see. Perhaps the offense _can_ be resuscitated... perhaps.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
topliner967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsdzyuk View Post
Can anyone put up a vid on doughtys charge call, I missed the game

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Oh -- and back-to-back four-plus-goal games? Three PP goals? Very nice things to see. Perhaps the offense _can_ be resuscitated... perhaps.
When I read that last sentence it sounded like William Shatner in my head.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
When Bob tells us about a team's record in overtime, what does he mean?

That would depend upon who in the Hell Mike Rogers is!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:24 AM
BringTheReign

Any news on Kopitar yet? Hopefully Rich or the team gives us some good news soon.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
A lot of fans are saying that the Kings will be looking for the Stars the next time around, and I understand the emotions and all, but it rarely happens that way.
Well it should in my opinion. Having a marked man doesn't mean that they need to do anything illegal or go to the box without also sending one of the Stars there. Westgarth should also look for opportunity to fight Souray. He is 6-4, 240 and he loves throwing punches at 195 pound players, pinned down on the ice by another player. Perfect match.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
but that was hell of game. I had a blast by the ice, surrounded by awesome fans, great atmosphere. Hope to verse the stars in the playoffs if we make it. Kind of wanted brown to stand up for Kopi instead of Rick .
It's so much better at the game, I agree. I really can't sit and watch the Kings for 2 hours plus, I get to ansy at home to do that...but at the game, its ****ing great...great atmosphere, I even have fun at the games we lose...not to say I enjoy losing, but I can honestly say I had a great time.

Having said that, I am not satisfied, just yet. Thank God our scoring is up. Hope Kopitar will be able to come back soon, he is a key to our offense.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
Ahhm, You forgot Morrow! and win lose or draw they got it coming imho...
Just not sure our team is made up that way, if we still had McSorley and Wells etc...
Then maybe retribution would be distributed as it should be but with this group?

I seriously doubt it, though I would love to see Brownie put Ott or Morrow into the box again.
Would absolutely love to see JMFJ get some of that ol' college Brash & Bash Going!
But they got him concentrating on PP time and being on the ice not in the box after knocking people out.

Final thought is doubt there is much love lost between these two teams atm...
This is how rivalries develop...hard, physical, and gritty play, with both teams fighting for a playoff spot.

Not that contrived "freeway faceoff" bull ****.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:06 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Some quick thoughts on the game since I just watched the highlights and have to head to work.

Am I the only one that sees no difference between the Morrow hit on Kopitar last night, and the the hit Brown got thrown out of the game for last year on Meittinen in Minnesota? Both players were low to the ice and turned into the hit to make it look worse. So I guess my issue with that is the lack of consistency in the calls. Either the refs are protecting the players on the ice and that hit is called a penalty for being borderline (I thought it was a clean hit) or they aren't and both hits are clean...

How Souray does not get a double minor for roughing at the end is crazy. He jumped on Doughty trying to choke him? smother him? I don't know, something... and then he jumps Williams and starts throwing gloved punches at him after he is laying on the ice with Benn on top of him. So which incident deemed the roughing call? Because my understanding of the rule is that in that case it's a double minor. The charging call is a complete joke, but after the Miller/Lucic incident earlier this year, it makes some sense to mkae that call as wrong as it is.

But yeah I agree with others, the refs didn't lose this game the Kings did with the defensive breakdowns.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Am I the only one that sees no difference between the Morrow hit on Kopitar last night, and the the hit Brown got thrown out of the game for last year on Meittinen in Minnesota? Both players were low to the ice and turned into the hit to make it look worse. So I guess my issue with that is the lack of consistency in the calls. Either the refs are protecting the players on the ice and that hit is called a penalty for being borderline (I thought it was a clean hit) or they aren't and both hits are clean...
You are not the only one. I couldn't believe that Brown's penalty. Just because it was hard hit players get penalized these days?

Edit: not sure if it was the same one, I mix them up.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Karma on a clean hit?
Ummm. YES!
Are you serious? Obviously we play them a hell of a lot harder in every area and Morrow especially.
This is what we did playing Senior in Canada when this issue came up. This is hockey mentality. Clean or not, he took out your player, your roommate, leader.. etc...
This doesn't go by the wayside. End of story.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Doughty played like ****. I'm a huge fan of his (have his jersey), but man, he needs to grow up. They missed the tripping call, but instead of *****ing to the refs, get off your ass, skate hard and try and get back into the play! If he would have done so, there might not have been a goal the other way. It seriously pissed me off. He had such a **** game.

Dear lord, poor Williams was a punching bag by both Souray and Benn! What the hell was that!?!

Charging?? Last time I checked, that was called a push from behind into their own goalie.

That being said, I thought it was a great game. How many times have we *****ed and moaned that this team can't score, can't come back when down and we would rather lose 5-4 than 1-0. I thought it was a great game to watch, as most Kings/Stars games are.

Oh man, I hope Kopi is okay! That said, he's a HUGE loss to the team, but not like he was last year down the stretch. He's been kinda sucking lately, and this year we have Richards to step into the #1 center spot, instead of Stoll. This team can win without Kopi.

YAY for Lewis for getting a goal!

Holy camoli, was that our powerplay!? Looks like Sutter has been working with them on it. Those weren't random/lucky goals. We actually set them up!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I am so angry, i was standing right there as Benn was hitting williams or whoever was getting rocked in the net, AND the ref was just STANDING there and not stopping it, i was so angry, why didnt the ref break it up, he watch williams get hammered.That was a good goal, anyone who says the refs didnt gift wrap the game to the stars just didnt see it well, man i wanted to get on the ice and smash benn. Refs you guys really suck. Double minor on richards, Bs.
First,

It wasn't the REF's job to break them up, it's the linesemen, and they got there as soon as they could, if a REF goes in to break that up, he risks missing more infractions, you will RARELY see a ref step in and break something up, and when you do, almost all the time it's when two players are standing and not throwing toe to toe.

Second,

No way in hell that was a good goal, Lehtonen CLEARLY had his glove on the puck, and then Fraser jabs it, Fraser is lucky he didn't come away with one.

Third,

As been covered, the double minor on Richards was the right call.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
You are not the only one. I couldn't believe that Brown's penalty. Just because it was hard hit players get penalized these days?

Edit: not sure if it was the same one, I mix them up.
http://youtu.be/7qBeA8v_dWA

This is the one I was referencing back to. They both seem to be very similar as the player in question is following through with a shot and it puts them in a bad position. The Brown hit was later deemed a clean hit but Brown was thrown out of the game. I guess what I'm getting at is it wrong to ask for consistency and that Morrow could have been tossed from the game last night, I mean the hit above Mittens pops right up, in the Kopi hit he suffers a possible concussion on what is deemed a clean hit? The league really needs to look at the way some of the things are being called in the games and re-evaluate some of the rules.

The targeting the head rule at this point to me is a joke (and clearly not working) with the amount of concussions in the league this year alone. It seems to be nothing more than a reason to screw one team over for a borderline hit that may (upon review) be deemed clean later. So I ask then what is the point of having it? If it isn't reducing the number of concussions and it isn't being used to protect players by enforcement of it (as in my opinion it could have been in this case) then what IS it doing?

Last edited by tigermask48: 01-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
First,

It wasn't the REF's job to break them up, it's the linesemen, and they got there as soon as they could, if a REF goes in to break that up, he risks missing more infractions, you will RARELY see a ref step in and break something up, and when you do, almost all the time it's when two players are standing and not throwing toe to toe.
What?! When one of the players has his face on the ice it is AUTOMATIC separation. As Fox said, this could be reviewed as intention to injure and preventing an injury to a player who is pinned to ice by one player and receiving punches to back of his head by another 240 pound player is the FIRST priority of every official on ice - NOT to look for more infractions elsewhere.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
DaAnimal

My thoughts and opinions on last nights performance:

I seriously thought we played well. I am actually happy that we came back and fought back. Though we should have won the game, the blame shouldnt be on Richards. It was an emotional game for everyone. DD had every right to be pissed off and I've been extremely critical of DD this season. However, the refs missed that call and he was lit up. As for Kopi's injury, it looked TERRIBLE. It was a clean hit so I can't really blame the Stars for that. My main concern is how long will Kopi be out? Furthermore, who will be replacing him? Will we call someone up from the minors? Will we make a trade?

I also want to point out that Stoll should not be playing in the 1st line. He's completely useless on the PP too .....

Why isnt D.S. putting JJ in the SOs?

Refs have caused us a lot of points this season...

Overall, it was an exciting game. Definitely had a playoff atmosphere. I was happy we landed a point, it could have been worst.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post

Why isnt D.S. putting JJ in the SOs?

JJ would probably have been 4th, Stoll and Brown are usually picked above him anyway, and Lewis showed nifty hands during the game so going with the hot hand is fine

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
SLang

As pissed as I was leaving Staples last night, I was comforted by the thought that as long as the team plays like this here on out they will be fine and will make the playoffs. You are going to win more games than lose with that peformance.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
As pissed as I was leaving Staples last night, I was comforted by the thought that as long as the team plays like this here on out they will be fine and will make the playoffs. You are going to win more games than lose with that peformance.
So reaper, you're saying you were happy with JJ's performance last night?

Come on man, just accept it you love him

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

The Stars Kings is turning into an actual rivalry. I love it.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
My thoughts and opinions on last nights performance:

I seriously thought we played well. I am actually happy that we came back and fought back. Though we should have won the game, the blame shouldnt be on Richards. It was an emotional game for everyone. DD had every right to be pissed off and I've been extremely critical of DD this season. However, the refs missed that call and he was lit up. make a trade?

I agree. Unfortunately, DD has created his own rep, and whether it's right or wrong, it's clear the refs aren't going to let him show them up. Last night was a good example of veteran refs "punishing" Doughty for being a *****.

I'm not happy at all with how the end went down, but you reap what you sow.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I was just about to say that as I was going through the thread. Kings fan but I like Dallas' style. Also enjoy watching Benn play. Great hockey player.

Refs were lame, but oh well. I'm really liking that speed line we have. They might not always produce, but at the very least they're making their D work. I just feel bad for Lokti not getting results but he has vastly improved. He's playing much bigger. I said this before, but with players like him he needs NHL experience. AHL alone won't help him. This might mean some growing pains but I'm ok with it.

I thought Drew played ok, but yeah. He acts like a little b**ch sometimes and that's not cool. Someone needs to talk to him.

Richards is slumping a bit, but thought it was cool he threw down after that hit. Even if he's not scoring, he's doing something out there. I'm not worried about MR.

We need a sniper. Badly.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I think this is the first loss the Kings had when scoring 3+ goals. This is also the first time this season I didn't say to myself "no way the Kings can come back" after the other team scores their 3rd goal. The Kings came out and played up tempo and took risks offensively and it burned them. I think they fell back into their defensive style for a bit after that to close out the first period but really turned it on in the second.

1) Doughty needs to grow up.
2) loved it when he steamrolled Lehtonen though. Our top player gets hurt, lets hurt one of their best players. Not necessarily trying to hurt him but sending a message. I think doughty intended to run into Lehtonen but I think Souray helped him a bit. The punches while both Williams and Doughty were face down was completely chicken ****.

At the end of the day, not made about the result just worried that Kopitar will be ok. Richards did what he had to do and I think Sutter was right when he said he was too busy worrying about going after Morrow than to think to take his helmet off.

Had the Kings got one clear on that 4 min PK, they very well might have won the game. They just couldn't get it out of the zone and you could tell all of the players AND Quick were gassed.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Too bad there is just one more season together in the Pacific.

Richards also deleted his tweet, but he will probably hear from the league anyways.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote