HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado Avalanche @ Nashville Predators (These guys again?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2012, 04:59 AM
  #151
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Also, both of those Av's goals were all on Rinne. Sucks he makes 2 mistakes, 1 of them a major mistake. Not for that it's another shutout. But, it's good to see the team bail him out for once and not the other way around.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:29 AM
  #152
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Love me some legs. That is all.

That was a hard fought win.

Avs seemed to have our number but we battled through it.

Question, why were Ellis and Josi consistently on our 1st pp unit? I can understand playing the hot hand, but after every single powerplay, and after we go 0-6!?
Weber and Suter still led the team in PP TOI. Honestly, I have no problem with the Josi/Ellis pairing right now ... they get the puck moving and get it to the net. The Weber/Suter pair still goes for the pass it to Shea, get out of the way approach which ends up around the boards and out of the zone just as often as it does on net.


Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Dammit, every time I watch a Nsh game (didn't see this whole one so my mistake if they did), C Wilson and Smith are never playing together. I don't understand this, they're young, let them build chemistry.
Smith has been ice cold on ES for over two months now while Wilson was on a line that was generating points consistently until his injury a few games ago. Bourque's meshing with Spaling and Tootoo allowed the team to slide Wilson to one of the other "scoring" lines which actually made Smith the odd man out. Even on the 4th line Smith is generating chances along with Halischuk.

There are still years remaining to put the two on a line together ... for now Smith needs to develop a bit as a NHL player.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:35 AM
  #153
glenngineer
HFB Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
My question about the blue line power play pairings, is it time to try Josi/Weber and Suter/Ellis? It might get Suter and Weber out of what 101 was talking about and bring a freshness to the units. It would also put another guy in Josi out there who isn't afraid to shoot and has quite a good shot. It also keeps a big gun out there with Suter in Ellis. It would also give teams a different look which is more difficult to scout.

The other reason Josi and Ellis are having success is they haven't been scouted as much as Suter/Weber. Teams will start to figure them out but they both have excellent puck moving skills. We finally have two pairings that can move the puck effectively out there on the PP.

One other thing I've noticed about our overall defensive play as of late. Our defensemen our really reading the plays in the offensive zone and jumping into the play but when they do that, the forwards are rotating back to cover the point for them. I think that's where a lot of the breakdowns were happening earlier in the season and we're not seeing as much of that as we had been.

One last thing I noticed, Bourque has some wheels on him. Last night, he and Tootoo were breaking into the zone together and Bourque got a step on the defender and blew past him. Tootoo didn't have a good passing lane and shot the puck but I was shocked to see how much distance Bourque put between him and the defender in such a short amount of time.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:47 AM
  #154
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 500
Bourque with Spaling and Tootoo is working. If Toots converts on any one of the numerous chances he has last night, the Avs go home without a point. A lot of speed and heart on that line ... hard work to get results rather than relying on pure talent.

I'm eagerly awaiting the moment when Smith starts to become the beneficiary of Halischuk's hard work. Halishcuk will get the puck to the net or to a teammate in the slot which has the potential to get Smith going again especially with the matchups our 4th line draws.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:13 AM
  #155
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Missed keeping the sellout streak alive by 209 fans.

EDIT: It was nice hearing Rinne give himself the heat for those two goals in the first in his post game. That's what you want to hear out of one of your star players when they screw up.


Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 01-13-2012 at 07:26 AM.
AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:41 AM
  #156
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
More bitter, bitter gall for the Legwand haters. How many GWGs is that for him this year??
Two.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
  #157
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
They mentioned that on the radio yesterday morning. They like the kids on the 1st PP unit because they can create chances. Probably be that way for awhile.
I saw the game first hand. Suter and Weber played on the PP just as much as Josi and Ellis by the eye check. Have not looked at the stats. I would like to see Ellis and Weber give it a shot a line or two. How would you defend Smith, Erat, SK, Weber, and Ellis?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
  #158
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Largo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
How would you defend Smith, Erat, SK, Weber, and Ellis?
put 3 PKers on Weber and 1 on Ellis.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:46 AM
  #159
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
I'm glad the Preds got the four points over the Avs this week, but.....

This two game stretch highlights one of the fundamental flaws we've observed over the years. During this run of playoff caliber teams (excluding the Dark Ages teams of course), we've seen several different versions of the Preds play a significant number of above average road games....games were the Preds took it to the home team early, taking their crowd out of it, and then hold on with good defense and goaltending to weather the storm later in the game to get the win (or at least one point). Take for example Tuesday's game in Denver which was textbook in the first period, and then the Preds hang on with varying levels of effort for the win.

Then move on to last night's home game with the unusual situation in playing the same team twice away/home. One would think that the Preds players who have just beat a team two nights earlier, basically on the strength of one solid first period would understand what is necessary to beat that team again and fully understand that basic hockey strategy dictates that the visiting Avs will try to replicate in Nashville what the Preds did in Denver in the first period. The Avs did exactly what a good road team does, and the Preds responded with an absolute clunker of a first period at home----again. You've just beat the same team 48 hours earlier by dictating the style of play early, then come back with no response at all in the first period last night.

I find that a very frustrating aspect of most Preds teams that the level of effort is not there on a nightly basis, but particularly so when we have an example like this week were they just beat the same team two nights earlier. How is it possible that the team produces such a lackluster effort out of the gate, again, on home ice when they have a chance to bury the Avs in the standings? With so may different players over the years, the easy thing to do would be to chalk it up to bad coaching or style of play, since that is the one consistency over the years, but obviously that's not the sole problem. Again, happy with the four points, but having watched all of the Preds games over the years, I absolutely knew that the Preds weren't going to come out last night with a winning effort from puck drop, but luckily the opponent was Colorado and not some other team with an absolute killer instinct.

A Fisher side note continuing from the other night... it didn't look like Fisher had the same "dead arm" as Tuesday, but he was only 3/14 on faceoffs last night after only going 5/17 Tuesday night. If he's playing hurt, fine, but that faceoff percentage is hurting the team.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
  #160
glenngineer
HFB Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
PP, while I agree with your sentiments to some degree, a team isn't going to come out and play 3 periods for 82 games in a season and have anything left in the tank for the playoffs. Did it occur to you that it may not have been the Preds that were the issue last night but that Colorado was embarrassed by their loss and came out ready for retribution? Did you also consider if Rinne doesn't give the puck away to O'Reilly in the middle of the ice for an easy goal and then gives up a softy to Landeskog from a bad angle that the game would've been 0-0 at the end of 1 instead of us down 2-0? I get where you're coming from but the team was not the issue last night, it was Rinne in the first that could've cost us the game. The team I watched was skating hard and creating chances. They just didn't bury as many of them as they should've. They could've easily won 5-2 last night if Tootoo and Wilson bury a couple of chances.

I do agree that we don't finish teams off like we should. Going up 3-0 the other night we should've taken it to them in the second and finished them off a lot sooner than we did. That is something we need to fix. Get a team down and go for the jugular.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
  #161
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I do agree that we don't finish teams off like we should. Going up 3-0 the other night we should've taken it to them in the second and finished them off a lot sooner than we did. That is something we need to fix. Get a team down and go for the jugular.
I understand that win/losses are a result of both teams efforts and execution and it's 82 games not 2 games, so I agree with you there, but I was using this two game stretch as a mini example of a long running problem with this team and past teams. The reason I even posted this was that as soon as they won Tuesday night, I said to myself that I absolutely guarantee that the the Preds get outplayed Thursday night to start the game and it wasn't just because the Avs were going to respond with a better effort themselves. The Preds obviously know how to beat the Avs so the game plan is there, they obviously (I assume) knew that they the Avs were going to come out on fire, but for some reason they took a weather the storm approach and waited until later in the game to counter punch. I know teams don't give the do or die effort for all 82 games, but with a chance to take the full four points versus just a split with the Avs, the Preds initial effort was predictable thus my frustration. If a took a poll before last night's game whether the Preds would "fire" or "falter" out of the gate last night, I'm pretty sure a good portion would have chosen "falter" because that's kind of what they've shown historically.

But whatever, they still got the four points.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
  #162
glenngineer
HFB Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I understand that win/losses are a result of both teams efforts and execution and it's 82 games not 2 games, so I agree with you there, but I was using this two game stretch as a mini example of a long running problem with this team and past teams. The reason I even posted this was that as soon as they won Tuesday night, I said to myself that I absolutely guarantee that the the Preds get outplayed Thursday night to start the game and it wasn't just because the Avs were going to respond with a better effort themselves. The Preds obviously know how to beat the Avs so the game plan is there, they obviously (I assume) knew that they the Avs were going to come out on fire, but for some reason they took a weather the storm approach and waited until later in the game to counter punch. I know teams don't give the do or die effort for all 82 games, but with a chance to take the full four points versus just a split with the Avs, the Preds initial effort was predictable thus my frustration. If a took a poll before last night's game whether the Preds would "fire" or "falter" out of the gate last night, I'm pretty sure a good portion would have chosen "falter" because that's kind of what they've shown historically.

But whatever, they still got the four points.
I'm with you. I felt they would come out flat too. I still think this game was more Rinne's mistakes costing us the first period as opposed to the team playing poorly but your point is well taken.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
  #163
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
@torero

that was tootoo
tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Love me some legs. That is all.

That was a hard fought win.

Avs seemed to have our number but we battled through it.

Question, why were Ellis and Josi consistently on our 1st pp unit? I can understand playing the hot hand, but after every single powerplay, and after we go 0-6!?
You are right, yet count also that Guigere was doing some juju magic !
It was the rebirth of the JS Guiguere from Anaheim ... without him in this shape, count on 2 more goals !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
  #164
sighthndlady
Registered User
 
sighthndlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
PP, you should spend more time watching non-Preds games. Every team is like that - periods when you think they'd be on fire they're absolutely flat. And every team's fans complain about it. Even the "elite" teams.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
  #165
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,794
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Two.
I am guessing they dont count the shootout winners as GWGs then because I was thinking he had at least two of those as well..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
  #166
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,794
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I saw the game first hand. Suter and Weber played on the PP just as much as Josi and Ellis by the eye check. Have not looked at the stats. I would like to see Ellis and Weber give it a shot a line or two. How would you defend Smith, Erat, SK, Weber, and Ellis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
put 3 PKers on Weber and 1 on Ellis.
I was gonna say pull the goalie for Smith....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
  #167
zellthemedic
Registered User
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I am guessing they dont count the shootout winners as GWGs then because I was thinking he had at least two of those as well..
SO goals don't even count as goals for stats, so it's not surprising they wouldn't count it as a GWG.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
  #168
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,957
vCash: 500
Solid win last night. Just got to see the game. Pekka got bailed out by the team. That doesn't happen often, so I am glad to see it happened last night!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
  #169
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
PP, you should spend more time watching non-Preds games. Every team is like that - periods when you think they'd be on fire they're absolutely flat. And every team's fans complain about it. Even the "elite" teams.
This. I'm always shocked when I visit other team's boards and think I'm back on the Preds boards.

All teams have flat periods, go through slumps, look like crap, etc. I think the difference between the better teams and the not-so-good teams is how long those slumps last.

The good news from the Predators is that we have lots of different people contributing. When one player is cold, another can score. Teams with a few elite scorers that slump are more susceptible to hitting rock bottom when coldness or injuries strike. Case in point: Edmonton (though their problems are more than just offensive).

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
  #170
sighthndlady
Registered User
 
sighthndlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
This. I'm always shocked when I visit other team's boards and think I'm back on the Preds boards.

All teams have flat periods, go through slumps, look like crap, etc. I think the difference between the better teams and the not-so-good teams is how long those slumps last.

The good news from the Predators is that we have lots of different people contributing. When one player is cold, another can score. Teams with a few elite scorers that slump are more susceptible to hitting rock bottom when coldness or injuries strike. Case in point: Edmonton (though their problems are more than just offensive).
That's why I've kept Center Ice even though there are now (yes!) only a handful of Preds games that aren't broadcast by FSN - like last night's game. I try to watch 4 or 5 non-Preds games every week, often Pacific/Northwest division because they're on late. You learn a whole lot about the game, and it helps to keep our guys in perspective.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
  #171
TootooTrain
-
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
That's why I've kept Center Ice even though there are now (yes!) only a handful of Preds games that aren't broadcast by FSN - like last night's game. I try to watch 4 or 5 non-Preds games every week, often Pacific/Northwest division because they're on late. You learn a whole lot about the game, and it helps to keep our guys in perspective.
Very true. I don't have enough time to watch 4/5 other games a week, but I do try and watch interesting matchups. (Habs/Bruins, Blues/Vancouver, etc) Something like 1 or 2 games a week. While I'm emotionally attached to some teams, I'm still a fan of the game in general. Love watching other teams/players.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.