Old
01-13-2012, 04:29 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
This has to be best season all time for Swedish players in the NHL so far?

So many players and a lot of them doing great.

I thought it would be difficult with a new generation after Forsberg, Sundin etc... but I was truly wrong. We are looking stronger than ever before.
Indeed, the golden generation was just really about a handful of players. Now we got top players on every position (even goalies!), this along with having many good young players, yes even rookies .

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Indeed, the golden generation was just really about a handful of players. Now we got top players on every position (even goalies!), this along with having many good young players, yes even rookies .
It's fantastic, I'm amazed.

Sweden with 9,5 million of inhabitants really is a top three hockey country in the world right now, even statistically.

We have like 5 players on NHL point stat list (top 20 players) right now, one of them being a defenseman and it's not Lidstrom. ;-)

I never thought I would mention Sweden ahead of Russia but right now I seriously feel we are slightly ahead of them. It's debatable and complicated though, because Russia having lots of great players in the KHL.

Also the Russians have had some problems playing good as a team since the CCCP days.

Looking at the 30 best players or so this is my current world ranking both regarding senior and junior hockey:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia

Last edited by 21: 01-13-2012 at 04:53 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Erik Karlsson PPG player as a 21 year old dman. He's improving his defensive play aswell. How good will he be in his prime? His upside is so high its scary..

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Erik Karlsson PPG player as a 21 year old dman. He's improving his defensive play aswell. How good will he be in his prime? His upside is so high its scary..
I would say it's still a little question mark for his defensive play (Ottawa fans will probably not agree) or maybe the rest of the team have adjusted to Karlsson.

He looks totally amazing though and hopefully he will keep up his defensive play as well.

I feel bad for Ottawa in the coming contract negotiations. ;-)

The second best defenseman in the NHL is like 10 points behind Karlsson right now?

Yes, 21 years old!

Not to forget OEL (Oliver Ekman Larsson) looking great as well and maybe Rundblad will start playing better next season?

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:18 AM
WayneBruce

Could be a great year for the swedish players. The season could realistically end with the top 2 forwards in scoring being swedish, the 2 top defencemen in scoring being swedish and the top goalie being swedish. It probably won´t happen but right now things are looking pretty damn good.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It is scary, last year people compared his upside to Tobias Enstrom....to which I laughed. The way he played last night defensively was a look into the way you could expect him to play in 2-3 years consistently. Offensively...he's capable of a point per game in any given season.

The kid's got a great head, striving for greatness but humble and level-headed at the same time. The funny thing is there are still improvements he can make to his offensive game.

If he manages to finish a point per game with Ottawa running up the standings....he may significantly push Chara to become the youngest Dman since Orr to win the Norris. TSN's late night hockey program proclaimed him the best defensemen in the NHL this season and The Hockey News predicted him to win the Norris as well.

17 points and +17 in his last 12 games. A 21 year old superstar is born. The Sens don't lose when EKs on his game (9-1-2).

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 01-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It is scary, last year people compared his upside to Tobias Enstrom....to which I laughed. The way he played last night defensively was a look into the way you could expect him to play in 2-3 years consistently. Offensively...he's capable of a point per game in any given season.

The kid's got a great head, striving for greatness but humble and level-headed at the same time. The funny thing is there are still improvements he can make to his offensive game.

If he manages to finish a point per game with Ottawa running up the standings....he may significantly push Chara to become the youngest Dman since Orr to win the Norris. TSN's late night hockey program proclaimed him the best defensemen in the NHL this season and The Hockey News predicted him to win the Norris as well.

17 points and +17 in his last 12 games. A 21 year old superstar is born.
Great stuff, he is a special player indeed! I think it would be almost impossible for him to win the Norris this year though,since he got a reputation for being a defensive liability. I have watched Ottawa a lot this year to check in on Karlsson, Rundblad and Zibanejad and been very impressed with Karlsson, and very pleased with how he developed defensiely too. Some stuff like his stickwork (pokechecking)is now borderline super. A reputation of being a horrible defensive player takes a while to wash away though.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Great stuff, he is a special player indeed! I think it would be almost impossible for him to win the Norris this year though,since he got a reputation for being a defensive liability. I have watched Ottawa a lot this year to check in on Karlsson, Rundblad and Zibanejad and been very impressed with Karlsson, and very pleased with how he developed defensiely too. Some stuff like his stickwork (pokechecking)is now borderline super. A reputation of being a horrible defensive player takes a while to wash away though.
It's true...I think he's gunning for 2nd place, to be honest.

He'd pretty much have to lead Ottawa ahead of Chara's Bruins for people allow themselves to think he's been the better player this year. The media is warming up though....all I really want to see him acknowledged with a nomination.

His defence needs work...but anyone that saw him last night for the first time wouldn't know it. It takes time to prove consistency....but he's doing what he has to do, it really is a matter of time IMO. I wouldn't put a time line on it...I've basically been spot on with where I thought he could take his talents, but even then he's gotten there faster than even I expected.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
WayneBruce

Talking about Karlsson:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...1&event=BUF242

Insane ****** skating

Old
01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Rundblad sent down now, good move for him imo.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=611577

Old
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
cheerupmurray

The only thing that worrie me about swedish hockey is that very few young forwards are scoring at a good pace in NHL. When/if we see a lot of youngish swedes playing in top-6 roles putting up a lot of points I will join the "swedish hockey devlopment is fantastic" bandwagon. Until then I agree that we have a lot of promising d-men and goalies, still few heirs to the Forsbergs and Sundins of this world.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
The only thing that worrie me about swedish hockey is that very few young forwards are scoring at a good pace in NHL. When/if we see a lot of youngish swedes playing in top-6 roles putting up a lot of points I will join the "swedish hockey devlopment is fantastic" bandwagon. Until then I agree that we have a lot of promising d-men and goalies, still few heirs to the Forsbergs and Sundins of this world.
Couldn't agree more. I'm waiting for the superstar forwards before planning the parade. We're almost looking to become the international equivalent of Nashville at this point. The depth is better than ever, but there is only so many NHL second liners that you need. A legit first line forward is worth so much more in a competition like the Winter Olympics.

Here's hoping that Swedes really are late developers still and that some of the younger guys like Landeskog, Zibanejad, Forsberg, Collberg etc. really pan out as legit stars.

I'm very hopeful, but as you I'll wait to jump on the bandwagon until we see some more results.

Defense looking absolutely tremendous though, it has to be said. Goalie development is also better than ever so there are definitely reasons to be optimistic.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Hockeyfrilla

You think any swedes will be traded? Deadline is 27 february.

Uffe Bodin posted a top 5 of possible swedes to be moved:

1. Samuel Påhlsson, Columbus
2. Johnny Oduya, Winnipeg
3. Magnus Pääjärvi, Edmonton
4. Patrik Berglund, St.Louis
5. Linus Omark, Edmonton

Old
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:

5. Linus Omark, Edmonton
Would like to see Paajarvi and Berglund being moved, they could benefit from a fresh start somewhere else.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Andre Petersson was called up by Ottawa, expect to see him in a game soon.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Hybbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Andre Petersson was called up by Ottawa, expect to see him in a game soon.
Interesting, need to remember to catch his first game.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Hybbe

Quote:

5. Linus Omark, Edmonton
Could really see Oduya getting moved. Sammy Påhlsson is the kind of guy who needs to be on a contender, good picks tbh, although I'm not sure Pääjärvi will be moved, his value is pretty low and Edmonton would do better just keeping him around and give him a chance to bounce back. They don't need to add vets for a cup run or anything anyway.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Erik Karlsson just hit the 50-point mark with a goal and assist vs Oilers.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
BUMP - just updated...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

Couldve sworn Sweden had more goalies in the NHL.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Both Bäckström and A.Steen's seasons could be over due to concussions.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Couldve sworn Sweden had more goalies in the NHL.
Sweden has always lacked depth at goaltending position.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Minister of Offence

King K doing his best to give voters no choice in the Norris voting.

He was on pace to become the first 21 or under Dman to hit 70 points since Brian Leetch in the late 80s, when Lemieux hit 199....

...and then he went on an 8 game point streak putting up 18 points.

He pushes the pace of the game like no other Dman in the game.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
MrJonas

Quote:
Sweden has always lacked depth at goaltending position.
I was just thinking about how insane it is that Tommy Salo sort of was Sweden's "all time great goalie" career wise (excluding Pelle Lindberg with his early demise) until just a couple of years ago. Currently, even if we ignore Lundqvist I think all of Enroth, Markström and perhaps Lindbäck might finish with better careers than Salo.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:33 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Pekka Lindmark and Rolf Ridderwall would easily both have made the NHL if they would have had a career under the circumstances we have now (referring to how common it is now to go to the NHL for Swedish players).

This is not nay saying that the goalie depth has been bad, it has, just pointing out that we have had goalies who could have had a more impressive career than they had.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote