HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O'Boyle Rules (the Brian Boyle predicament)

Old
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
If Boyle doesn't turn around in the neutral zone as the play is happening Arty hits him in stride with that pass. That's what he expected so that's why he made the pass. I see that as Boyle's fault, not seeing what I want to see. If Arty dumps it in deep, everyone would be freaking out how he threw away an odd man rush. If you thought you had a chance for an odd man rush, would you dump and chase?
If you're making a pass like that in the neutral zone you have to pick your head up and make sure it gets executed when you're out there against their top line. Boyle should ideally have been ready, but it was at the end of the shift and his focus is getting back to play D, again knowing who's on the ice. Artie can't be that careless with the puck.

01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
If you're making a pass like that in the neutral zone you have to pick your head up and make sure it gets executed when you're out there against their top line. Boyle should ideally have been ready, but it was at the end of the shift and his focus is getting back to play D, again knowing who's on the ice. Artie can't be that careless with the puck.
Should also add that I will have to agree to disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. In the grand scheme of things it is one play.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Yankeekid07

Quote:
Yeah it was very disappointing to see Arty get benched when Boyle f'd the play up. He was turned around backwards as the pass was being made and took himself out. Arty thinks he has a competent player reading the play so he makes a pass to break an odd man rush and next thing you know he's benched. Fedotenko and Hagelin were great tonight, it's a shame Boyle was between them.

And to everyone complaining about people complaining, Boyle has been bad for over a year now. It's not like this just started. He doesn't take the body anymore, can't stay on his skates, and has no confidence offensively. We know he's a 4th line player, it's Torts that doesn't see that. It's frustrating to see a guy like Boyle get all the 3rd period minutes knowing he's not gonna score when you're down by 1 in a tight game. Brian Boyle should not lead the forwards in icetime. EVER.

Couldnt agree with you more!!

Boyle has done nothing to warrant the playing time he has been receiving from Torts. I think he should be sitting in the press box for a game or two to wake him up. Personally, I think Mitchell deserves the ice time over Boyle on the 4th line. Mitchell does not contribute much offensively, but either does Boyle.

Prust-Rupp-Boyle/Mitchell on the 4th line is fine

I would like to see Wolski on the first with Step and Gabby and put Arty in between Feds and Hagelin. Wolski is a guy with offensive skill on a team full of grinders, I think he would add a nice touch to that top line.

Yankeekid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Weiss View Post
Guys, what about that awful power play?

This doesn't take away that Boyle is bad on offense, but, come on! You're going to need goals from the power play in the playoffs. Enough with the tricky passes, enough with taking shots from the blue line, and enough of passing up - pun intended - scoring chances by trying to pass the puck to the "goal scorer."
Agreed, the power play failure was the most glaring issue of the night. We should have been up 1-0 or 2-0 after the first period. The failure to convert set the tone for the rest of the game and we looked dead in the water after that.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Boyle was attrocious tonight. Fedotenko and Hagelin were great tonight, Boyle was just "there". Would love to see Anismov back down to the 3rd line so Boyle goes where he belongs. One more thing gotta love how Anisimov got benched when Boyle really was the one who messed that play up. Arty tries a tap pass to him to get an odd man rush going and Boyle is lost in the nuetral zone looking back into the defensive zone. Bottom line, I like him and he's not really a problem but he gets WAY too much icetime.
Gets my vote.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Pizza

As Bill Murray said in Caddy Shack "I have to laugh"

I think the bigger predicament is that many in this fan base simply do not know how to watch a hockey game.

With a bit of luck Boyle is the difference in the last two games. That did not happen. If this fan base is waiting for Boyle to be a difference maker like Gaborik, Richards, et. al., then your smoking crack.

Boyle is playing great. He's not a goal scorer. Period. He's a grinder. A big body that gets in front of the net. Takes the puck down low and keeps it there as long as possible. Takes his turn on the PK. Gets a forecheck going.

Any team in this league wants a guy like Boyle playing the role he does for this team. Torts as much confirmed that, but what the hell does he know?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Should also add that I will have to agree to disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. In the grand scheme of things it is one play.
I will agree to this, I understand your view of the play but just see it differently. And in the grand scheme of things if the only thing we're arguing about is a 3rd/4th line player then I'd say our team is in good shape.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

I think the bigger predicament is that many in this fan base simply do not know how to watch a hockey game.

With a bit of luck Boyle is the difference in the last two games. That did not happen. If this fan base is waiting for Boyle to be a difference maker like Gaborik, Richards, et. al., then your smoking crack.

Boyle is playing great. He's not a goal scorer. Period. He's a grinder. A big body that gets in front of the net. Takes the puck down low and keeps it there as long as possible. Takes his turn on the PK. Gets a forecheck going.

Any team in this league wants a guy like Boyle playing the role he does for this team. Torts as much confirmed that, but what the hell does he know?
I can't speak for everyone else but I know I don't expect Boyle to be a difference maker. I expect him to be what you called him, a grinder. He's not a goal scorer like you said. So why did he lead all forwards in ice time in a one goal game? That's what everyone is upset about. Guys get benched for periods or games and Boyle always seems to get a pass from the coach. He hasn't been what he could be in a while now, yet his playing time never diminishes. He's a grinder who constantly gets more ice time then he can handle.

Since you judged the hockey sense of a lot of us in this thread let me ask you a question. Does it make sense for a guy with 2 goals through half the year to lead the forwards in ice time in a close game against a team who very well could be a playoff matchup? Or as you said, a non-goal scoring grinder to lead the forwards in ice time.

I think the OP brought up a good point of something that has been going on for a year now. This isn't your typical "we lost, the sky is falling" thread. I don't want Boyle traded or wish ill upon him. I just want him to go back to what he is, a 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line. It's frustrating to see quality and important ice time go to him when he's not a difference maker.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else but I know I don't expect Boyle to be a difference maker. I expect him to be what you called him, a grinder. He's not a goal scorer like you said. So why did he lead all forwards in ice time in a one goal game? That's what everyone is upset about. Guys get benched for periods or games and Boyle always seems to get a pass from the coach. He hasn't been what he could be in a while now, yet his playing time never diminishes. He's a grinder who constantly gets more ice time then he can handle.

Since you judged the hockey sense of a lot of us in this thread let me ask you a question. Does it make sense for a guy with 2 goals through half the year to lead the forwards in ice time in a close game against a team who very well could be a playoff matchup? Or as you said, a non-goal scoring grinder to lead the forwards in ice time.

I think the OP brought up a good point of something that has been going on for a year now. This isn't your typical "we lost, the sky is falling" thread. I don't want Boyle traded or wish ill upon him. I just want him to go back to what he is, a 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line. It's frustrating to see quality and important ice time go to him when he's not a difference maker.
amen.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Yes.

You play the guys that are playing the best. Torts made that clear in the post game.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Yankeekid07

Quote:
Yes.

You play the guys that are playing the best. Torts made that clear in the post game.

How was Boyle the best guy on the ice for the Rangers last night? Boyle has been bad all year, how does he deserve to be playing? I want someone to show me the tape that shows Boyle was the best player last night, since he had the most ice time.

The best guy last night (I was at the game) was Carl Hagelin, I thought. Feds looked good and I felt Prust looked good last night.

This team is full of guys that can be good on the PK and play hard, Brian Boyle to me is a waste of a 6'7 body. He doesnt hit guys and he plays weak on the puck. Boyle is not why we lost the game last night, but how this guy gets constant ice time is mind blowing.

Yankeekid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Yes.

So then play Fedotenko and Hagelin. They carried that line, Boyle just happened to be there with them. Boyle was vile on faceoffs and couldn't contribute much offensively. I'm not trying to start a fight but if you think Boyle was playing the best last night, then our views of the game are extremely different. And while they may be different that doesn't mean either of us "don't know how to watch a hockey game".

Old
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Boyle played well tonight. Do you really expect him to score? The real problem were the "top" guys
Boyle did NOT play well. His linemates did. He was awful on draws and was on his butt way too much. Not to mention the scoring opps he couldn't convert. He's a 4th liner who is getting way to much ice time and on a night like last night it mattered.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Boyle is just a terrible hockey player. No he is not the reason we lost yesterday, but he is a problem. And he has been a problem all season, one of the few problems this team has.

Guy is 6'7 and gets knocked off the puck easier then anyone on the team. Thats a problem. That right there makes the whole size thing a complete moot point since he can't use it.

Boyle's entire NHL career he has been a 4th liner, a 4th liner that cant skate or finish. He had a fluke first half last season. Second half the season he was just as bad as he was this first half.

Fact is. Trade him. For anything. This is a small problem that Sather can actually fix. And if he's not going to be traded he should be kept on the PK only and given very limited ES time.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
When this team solely relies on Brian Boyle for offense, they are in trouble.

He is a good player to have and many teams would want him. Even if he scores 10 goals this season, he is worth his contract with everything else he brings.

The Rangers are not asking him to be a 30 goal scorer. Just fill his role, which he does. His line has constant pressure in the offensive zone. He PK's. He hits. He fights when it is needed. He wins face-offs. He matches up against the other teams best lines.

The fact that people are all over Brian Boyle for not scoring means there are glaring weaknesses elsewhere in the line-up.
He's not going to score 10 goals in a season anytime soon; he has no playmaking ability. He brings character (supposedly) and a commitment to defense. His bad puck skills make him nothing more than an average 4th liner. NOthing more.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
McMonster

Right now the only thing Boyle is good for is cycling along the boards and keeping the puck hemmed in the offensive zone. That is about the only reason why I would give him any ice time at all. He botches about 3-4 prime scoring chances per game, can't catch a god damn pass for his life, and he's slow as dog ****.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:

He's playing great??? you have very low standards. He is a defense only player who is little above 50% on faceoffs, loses too many 50/50 battles and is an average skater. He needs to be a 4th liner player PK and no more than 8 ES minutes. Even then I can take or leave him. But he is tolerable in that scenario. Waiting for Oscar Lindberg.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Pizza

Yup, Boyle is terrible. That's why Torts goes out of his way to praise him. It should be pointed out that Tort's is a guy that has very low standards and has no idea what he's talking about. Yes?

This thread goes in the direction of so many threads that include unrealistic, or even ludicrous trade proposals, evaluation on player talent, and general hysteria.

Boyle is a solid 3rd/4th liner.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Yup, Boyle is terrible. That's why Torts goes out of his way to praise him. It should be pointed out that Tort's is a guy that has very low standards and has no idea what he's talking about. Yes?

This thread goes in the direction of so many threads that include unrealistic, or even ludicrous trade proposals, evaluation on player talent, and general hysteria.

Boyle is a solid 3rd/4th liner.
3rd liners score more then 5 goals in the last 80 games.

Boyle is a average 4th liner who should not play more then 10 minutes.

I don't know what Boyle your watching, but he does nothing for the club.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Calad
Section 422

Torts was sending a message last night to this team. It isn't the first time he has done this, but it said "Show up to the game and your line will get minutes, don't show up and you're gonna ride the pine"
You guys are insane if you think Torts expects Boyle to be a huge difference maker, but his line was generating chances and playing the system well all night. I am seeing nothing but consistency between his coaching philosophy and actual coaching last night.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeekid07 View Post
How was Boyle the best guy on the ice for the Rangers last night? Boyle has been bad all year, how does he deserve to be playing? I want someone to show me the tape that shows Boyle was the best player last night, since he had the most ice time.

The best guy last night (I was at the game) was Carl Hagelin, I thought. Feds looked good and I felt Prust looked good last night.

This team is full of guys that can be good on the PK and play hard, Brian Boyle to me is a waste of a 6'7 body. He doesnt hit guys and he plays weak on the puck. Boyle is not why we lost the game last night, but how this guy gets constant ice time is mind blowing.
i agree with most of this, especially the part about Hagelin and the last sentence.

Boyle DOES hit guys, though, but a fair amount (i feel like i'm being generous saying that) of the time he ends up on his ass. he doesn't play like he's 6'7 at all and it actually saddens me a bit. he's a good dude. but he's a 4th liner getting more minutes than he should and that needs to change.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Yes. Because if you watched the game, he had countless chances whereas the likes of Richards and Gaborik looked like complete crap all game. It happens. This isn't something that is a nightly occurrence but you have to hold players accountable. If they are playing like ****, then take away their ice time.

The difference is, Boyle was playing well but could not score. Gaborik and Richards were playing like crap, and couldn't score.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Yes. Because if you watched the game, he had countless chances whereas the likes of Richards and Gaborik looked like complete crap all game. It happens. This isn't something that is a nightly occurrence but you have to hold players accountable. If they are playing like ****, then take away their ice time.

The difference is, Boyle was playing well but could not score. Gaborik and Richards were playing like crap, and couldn't score.
I think a lot will disagree with that. He didnt set up anything , he didnt skate with the puck well and do anything with it, and when he had his chances he, like usual, missed. His physcial game also landed him on his ass more then the other guy. His defensive game was average, he was partly in fault for the first GA since i dont know what he was doing skating backwards in the neutral zone when his team has the puck.

Everyone played like crap yesterday, including Boyle(cept a couple like Boyles linemate Hags). Torts was just sending a message to the stars that they will lose ice time if they play like garbage.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
I think a lot will disagree with that. He didnt set up anything nice, he didnt skate with the puck and do anything with it, and when he had his chances he, like usual, missed. His defensive game was average, he was partly in fault for the first GA since i dont know what he was doing skating backwards in the neutral zone when his team has the puck.

Everyone played like crap yesterday, including Boyle. Torts was just sending a message to the stars that they will lose ice time if they play like garbage.
His line had the puck on most shifts and they were creating chances. He was not Boyle from last year. But he was the Rangers best center last night.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
His line had the puck on most shifts and they were creating chances. He was not Boyle from last year. But he was the Rangers best center last night.
That's not saying much