HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet Magazine: Inside The Long Pathetic Fall Of The Once Great Canadiens Empire

Old
01-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Sportsnet Magazine: Inside The Long Pathetic Fall Of The Once Great Canadiens Empire

http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201...en_age_of_qbs/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201..._empire_joyce/

Just a heads up. The latest issue of Sportsnet magazine has a cover story on our Habs.

Unfortunately it's not under ideal circumstances.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Aeneas

really well written article, read it yesterday

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
knuck
On and off fan

For the record, this is the direct link to the article

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
habitue*

A must read !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 800
great read on "Canada's team"

cheers

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201...en_age_of_qbs/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201..._empire_joyce/

Just a heads up. The latest issue of Sportsnet magazine has a cover story on our Habs.

Unfortunately it's not under ideal circumstances.
Quote:
Claude Giroux, concurs: "I used to watch the Canadiens on RDS when I was growing up … but I didn't really want to play for Montreal. Playing anywhere would have been fine. I think that's how players look at it."

Quote:
Marc de Foy of the Journal de Montréal says that Gauthier is out of touch with the city even though he was born there. "He went away to school in Minnesota and he was based in the U.S. when he was starting out (as an NHL scout)," de Foy says. "He doesn't live in the city. He and his family live in Burlington, Vermont. It's hard to imagine that a francophone could get (the Cunneyworth hiring) so wrong, but that's Gauthier.
...;;

Quote:
If Maurice Richard had known how this would play out, he would have had a hard time holding the torch as high as he did, not with the franchise destined to go down in flames.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-13-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Not as well written article as some as suggesting here. Verbose, but meandering.

At some point he takes a big ol' left turn and instead of addressing the real issues that plague the Canadiens, talks about the language issue. As if that's why we suck. As if that's even relevant to why we suck.

I'm finding it hard to muster the impetus to read the rest.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I read it, I hated it, not saying all is false, but I'll say this: **** SportsNet magazine, who reads this **** anyway?

This was done as a piece Toronto people can masturbate to and the pessimistic miserable sons of *****es here can flail to.

It's the same kind of vomit that the local media heads produce to line their own damn pockets with cash. Because this is all this is, you know, for the media. It's producing a controversy that will sell copies, get hits and ratings, it has nothing to do with information, and all to do with creating controversy to create cash.

**** the media. **** the talking heads. **** the suicide crew here. And **** the french supremacist ********.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Habsfunk

I think it overstates the team's decline. Yes, it's long gone from the glory years, but reading the article, you'd think we were the New York Islanders, Florida Panthers or Toronto Maple Leafs. The franchise looked to be rebounding under Gainey, but then he made the disastrous Gomez trade and overpaid Camallerri and Gionta. Gauthier has done alright from a player personnel standpoint but his handling of coaches has been terrible.

I'm not saying things are fine. The organization needs to go into every season looking like a Stanley Cup contender instead of only a playoff contender and there is little structure that indicates it his heading in that direction.

My bet is Gauthier gets fired after the season and new GM and coach are brought in. Hopefully they bring in someone who is highly respected and, most importantly, highly competent.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Not as well written article as some as suggesting here. Verbose, but meandering.

At some point he takes a big ol' left turn and instead of addressing the real issues that plague the Canadiens, talks about the language issue. As if that's why we suck. As if that's even relevant to why we suck.

I'm finding it hard to muster the impetus to read the rest.
Agreed. All the stuff about the language issue ruins what could have been a good article.

This was clearly written for Leafs fans who know nothing about Montreal or the Habs. They even go as far as to downplay our last two cups, and use the 30 years mark entirely to include more teams that have been better than us "recently" (Like any Habs fan is envious of the Islanders or Oilers).

I'm not saying it justifies our mediocre last 10 years, but this makes it sound like we are the worst run team in the league. This is our first terrible season in a while, typically we are average to above average. This might not be good enough but I love how all of a sudden these opportunists are coming out of the woodwork to say these things. Where were they last year?

Last edited by Et le But: 01-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I read it, I hated it, not saying all is false, but I'll say this: **** SportsNet magazine, who reads this **** anyway?

This was done as a piece Toronto people can masturbate to and the pessimistic miserable sons of *****es here can flail to.
What ?

Calm down. It was a well written article that resumed well what went wrong over the last 17 years. All we have got in that time span is ***** so don't be offended if the article make it look like we are ***** because, well, we kinda are (the franchise in general)

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

It's the same kind of vomit that the local media heads produce to line their own damn pockets with cash. Because this is all this is, you know, for the media. It's producing a controversy that will sell copies, get hits and ratings, it has nothing to do with information, and all to do with creating controversy to create cash.

**** the media. **** the talking heads. **** the suicide crew here. And **** the french supremacist ********.
Wow, scintillating analysis. I disagreed with aspects of the issue but it had a lot of a valid points that get glossed over.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
1996: The Forum hosts its final Habs game, ending the team's relevance.
This hurts the heart so much to read and feels like a punch in the gut but sadly, this couldn't be any more right.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
deandebean

I had read such an article in 1982, when the Habs were falling from grace (it lasted 3 seasons). Written by a Torontonian? This Empire stuff is ridiculous. Montreal hasn't been a powerhouse since the early 90's. Should have written the piece during the late 90's. He's about 12 years late in writing this. And it wasn't about the forum. It was about real management. This Forum stuff gets to me. Probably didn't even attend 10 games at the Forum and he writes like this.

The Forum was a BUILDING. A small, intimate building, yes. But it was a freaking building. And not a particularly spectacular one. What made it special was the teams and the fans. The rest was bricks and mortar. Nothing more. It wasn't very pretty, nor was it a great design. It was a freaking commercial building.

This Forum ******** gets to me. It was a building. Nothing more.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
This hurts the heart so much to read and feels like a punch in the gut but sadly, this couldn't be any more right.
No it's not. The relevance left the organisation the day real management left the team. We haven't found one yet.

That and the fact that the NHL decided to move its canadian quarters to Toronto. It made the world of difference.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

All I will say is that there is a glaring lack of professionalism on this team that had been apparent for at least 10 years.

Coaches being fired right before games. Players being traded during games. Strange, bizzare moves with no foresight whatsoever. And the GM sitting there, lying to the fans with a straight face.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
NotProkofievian

Yeah, I read the rest of it. I liked where he was going, but he never recovers after talking about how Montreal had "exclusivity" on Quebec prospects...

It's hard to come away with any point from this article. We should be more french, yet that's what's the problem? But it wouldn't be a problem if we were successful, and we'd be successful if we were more french?

Wtf?

It's simple, we do not have visionaries in control, and we do not have a vision that we are building towards. We had the greatest GM ever in Sam Pollock, and probably the second greatest GM ever in Selke directly before him.

Where other teams learned from our methods, we were conceited enough to be mesmerized by our own ********.

What matters is winning, a sustainable approach to the procurement and development of top young talent, and some ****ing balls in our management. We haven't had any of these for the last 15 years. That's why we're insignificant. Not because angry coffee waiters and reporters scared Jacques Demers.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
All I will say is that there is a glaring lack of professionalism on this team that had been apparent for at least 10 years.

Coaches being fired right before games. Players being traded during games. Strange, bizzare moves with no foresight whatsoever. And the GM sitting there, lying to the fans with a straight face.
Management. It all comes down to management. Last time we had a real and respected GM, one that had clout and provided calm during big storms was Savard.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

It's scintilating enough for me.

Nobody *****ed when he made his **** so pompous.

I'm so tired of people puking on the team. This ******* makes us look like a meaningless franchise. Here's the truth: We are tops of the league in revenues, tops in tv ratings, tops in ad revenue, tops in ticket sold, salaries paid (Meaning mainly that we're not on the NHL's welfare program, but rather are paying thru the nose for ***** like Phoenix to live on), we have won more cups than everyone else, have more people in the hall of fame than anyone, we are one of the top franchises in the NHL, and the most storied franchise in sports.

Now, we are not so hot today. But, that doesn't change the above facts. The day this verbose ******* makes a similar article about how Ballard letting his employees touch children in Maple Leaf Gardens led to a 45 years Stanley Cup drought for the Leafs is the day I accept that the closing of the Forum and the language issue has ANYTHING to do with the team's current misfortunes. Which it doesn't.

Amateur hour in the office, sure. But not those ****ing reasons. And it doesn't date back this far. Gainey was able to recover the team from the Houle Administration and make it somewhat respectable. It dates back to when Gauthier, as the head of pro scouting and incumbent GM, advised we should get rid of all the crowd favourites and that we hire 3 smurfs as the core of the franchise. Period. Once your core averages 5'10" in 2010's NHL, you are ****ED!

Last edited by Phil Parent: 01-13-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old
01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
deandebean

Quote:

I'm so tired of people puking on the team. This ******* makes us look like a meaningless franchise. Here's the truth: We are tops of the league in revenues, tops in tv ratings, tops in ad revenue, tops in ticket sold, salaries paid (Meaning mainly that we're not on the NHL's welfare program, but rather are paying thru the nose for ***** like Phoenix to live on), we have won more cups than everyone else, have more people in the hall of fame than anyone, we are one of the top franchises in the NHL, and the most storied franchise in sports.

Now, we are not so hot today. But, that doesn't change the above facts. The day this verbose ******* makes a similar article about how Ballard letting his employees touch children in Maple Leaf Gardens led to a 45 years Stanley Cup drought is the day I accept that the closing of the Forum and the language issue has ANYTHING to do with the team's current misfortunes.
Bon point, Jacques.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yeah, I read the rest of it. I liked where he was going, but he never recovers after talking about how Montreal had "exclusivity" on Quebec prospects...

It's hard to come away with any point from this article. We should be more french, yet that's what's the problem? But it wouldn't be a problem if we were successful, and we'd be successful if we were more french?

Wtf?

It's simple, we do not have visionaries in control, and we do not have a vision that we are building towards. We had the greatest GM ever in Sam Pollock, and probably the second greatest GM ever in Selke directly before him.

Where other teams learned from our methods, we were conceited enough to be mesmerized by our own ********.

What matters is winning, a sustainable approach to the procurement and development of top young talent, and some ****ing balls in our management. We haven't had any of these for the last 15 years. That's why we're insignificant. Not because angry coffee waiters and reporters scared Jacques Demers.
When we know it wasn't true.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
When we know it wasn't true.
Absolutely. No one ever says who we picked with this exclusivity. The simple reason for that being that we didn't pick anyone of consequence.

The problem with this club is not culture, it's ninkumpoopery, plain and simple.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:

Now, we are not so hot today. But, that doesn't change the above facts. The day this verbose ******* makes a similar article about how Ballard letting his employees touch children in Maple Leaf Gardens led to a 45 years Stanley Cup drought is the day I accept that the closing of the Forum and the language issue has ANYTHING to do with the team's current misfortunes.
I thought the leafs were #1 in all those categories? Anyway books "Why the Leafs stink?" and many others have been written on their futility. Stop thinking tsn/sportsnet is in a love affair. I live here and read/watch the same trolling garbage from the TO media as well. I despise them as they're a bunch of overreacting bums like the ones in quebec. One day they're crowning a team and the next crapping all over them.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
I thought the leafs were #1 in all those categories? Anyway books "Why the Leafs stink?" and many others have been written on their futility. Stop thinking tsn/sportsnet is in a love affair. I live here and read/watch the same trolling garbage from the TO media as well. I despise them as they're a bunch of overreacting bums like the ones in quebec. One day they're crowning a team and the next crapping all over them.
Well "tops" can mean close to no. 1, no?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Evil Ted

Sportsnet is such a joke, medias are one reason this team is suffering another reason there are 29 other teams trying just as hard to win and attract good hockey people and then of course there is the whole language issue.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote