HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Garrison and Versteeg Contract Status

Old
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Garrison and Versteeg Contract Status

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

From Tallon's quotes, I would expect Steeg back 99.9%. Also, IMO he's saying we're not going to be overpaying for Garrison. Obviously we'd all like him back, but if his agent gets greedy over numbers, like he probably will (UFA), then we're not going to get stupid by throwing ridiculous numbers at him. Hopefully he's back, but IMO Steeg will be back and Garrison may be elsewhere next year.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

I would NOT overpay garrison, but make every effort to sign him fairly.
Versteeg though MUST get done.
In tallon I trust.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I would NOT overpay garrison, but make every effort to sign him fairly.
Versteeg though MUST get done.
In tallon I trust.
Yup. If Garrison/his agent gets greedy then sorry G, you know where the door is. Versteeg will get done, he's a RFA.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Don't want to lose either of them and hope they both get signed up. But obviously there is a chance Garrison could go being an UFA and having the best season of his career this year.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I'd hate to see Garrison not show some loyalty to the team that gave him his only shot. Of course, money talks....we all know the rest.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I'd hate to see Garrison not show some loyalty to the team that gave him his only shot. Of course, money talks....we all know the rest.
We're not the only team the Pens were also after him. We got him because he saw his chance of playing here sooner. He has said he appreciates Florida giving him the chance to get in the NHL. What kind of numbers do they both get? Do you do the long contract for less dollars each year or shorter contracts with higher numbers. 4+ for Steeger 4-5years and 3+ for Garry for 5 or is he worth more? Still have to sign Kuli this year as well. Time for our GM's to earn their money.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

Although Garrison has came back to earth scoring wise, the possibility of his shot on the PP really opens things up for other players.

jkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
We're not the only team the Pens were also after him. We got him because he saw his chance of playing here sooner. He has said he appreciates Florida giving him the chance to get in the NHL. What kind of numbers do they both get? Do you do the long contract for less dollars each year or shorter contracts with higher numbers. 4+ for Steeger 4-5years and 3+ for Garry for 5 or is he worth more? Still have to sign Kuli this year as well. Time for our GM's to earn their money.
Kuli is a must do.

I like your numbers for steeger.

Garrison no more than 3 pls....

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Of course Garrison is going to leave. I just got his jersey for Christmas. Happens to me every time.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
ShootIt

Would hate to see Garrison leave, he is a good two way defenseman, but, I don't think we should go over 3m with him long term.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Of course Garrison is going to leave. I just got his jersey for Christmas. Happens to me every time.
So when he leaves it's your fault.
That's why I never get a jersey with a name on it. Hell my first season as a season ticket owner I made them put on my contract if Luongo got traded I could get my money back. See what that did I should have put if Keenan was fired.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
jakethesnake23

WOW!!!!! Everyone absolutely goes crazy over garrison but is unwilling to give him more than 3 million per??????? I guess everyone isnt so crazy about him after all..... I will repeat what ive said all year. GREAT shot, average defensively, below average with the puck on his stick when not shooting. Turnover machine. 3 million I would honestly say is fair for 3-4 years, but I would have thought by the way most everyone talks about him here, that most people would be happy with 4+ a year. Good player, but VERY overrated in general.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Is there a possibility of trading garrison at the deadline for a scoring forward? Would garrison warrant such a return?

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Erick

Can Jovanovski and Garrison trade contracts?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Can Jovanovski and Garrison trade contracts?
Ha. That would be great. I'm glad to hear about the talks about Versteeg so we won't have any worry when it comes to free agency in July. From what he's shown, he's certainly a key component for this team's future. I want Garrison to be here for the future as well, but don't want to grossly overpay him as this is the first season that he's really shown big progress in.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Erick

I think both of them will sign back.

From the article, it just seems like Tallon is saying he feels more confident about Versteeg because we'd still have his rights, as opposed to Garrison who's going to be a UFA.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Is there a possibility of trading garrison at the deadline for a scoring forward? Would garrison warrant such a return?
That would probably hurt our chances this year; Tallon won't do that.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
WOW!!!!! Everyone absolutely goes crazy over garrison but is unwilling to give him more than 3 million per??????? I guess everyone isnt so crazy about him after all..... I will repeat what ive said all year. GREAT shot, average defensively, below average with the puck on his stick when not shooting. Turnover machine. 3 million I would honestly say is fair for 3-4 years, but I would have thought by the way most everyone talks about him here, that most people would be happy with 4+ a year. Good player, but VERY overrated in general.
Overrated? How can a guy who went undrafted and was signed out of college, busted his ASS to be where he is, played his longest season last year, and is JUST showing his offensive prowess with that cannon of his be overrated?

Turn over machine? No. Not close. He's been part of the most successful defensive duos the last two seasons. I see him as a defensive defenseman with an absolutely lethal slapper that he's still learning how to use.

Pay him what it takes, though, I don't think he's going to go overboard. He's clicked very well with Soup and Weaver. 4 seems about right.

Last edited by Laus723: 01-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Erick

Garrison has been on our top-pair for two years now and has proven that he can play alongside any type of defenseman.

Turnover machine? Huh? He's not average, defensively. Just last year, advanced metrics rated him as one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

If anything, the guy has been one of the most underrated D-men in the league the last two years, and I'd definitely give him more than 3 mill per.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Holy Jokinen

Aside from Steeger and Garrison, who else is pending UFA/RFA? Anyone have a list?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I think both of them will sign back.

From the article, it just seems like Tallon is saying he feels more confident about Versteeg because we'd still have his rights, as opposed to Garrison who's going to be a UFA.
Yeah, don't get at all that he's talking about payment. "Business is business" just means that he can choose to move on if he'd like to, but Tallon will work to keep him here. Had nothing to do with payment, which is why he said he's "prepared to do the right thing by both of them."

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

I find this useful.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2012

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Aside from Steeger and Garrison, who else is pending UFA/RFA? Anyone have a list?
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=16

Quote:
RFA:

Versteeg
Repik
Kulikov
Ellerby
Dadanov
Quote:
UFA:

Samuelsson
Sturm
Barch
Madden
Garrison
Clemmensen

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Holy Jokinen

Soo..

Versteeg - RFA
Samuelsson - UFA
Sturm - UFA
Barch - UFA
Repik - RFA
Madden - UFA

Kulikov - RFA
Ellerby - RFA
Garrison - UFA

Clemmensen - UFA

Then some AHL guys.. Some notable ones here:

Dadonov - RFA
Kennedy -RFA
Cullen - UFA
Thomas - UFA

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Overrated? How can a guy who went undrafted and was signed out of college, busted his ASS to be where he is, played his longest season last year, and is JUST showing his offensive prowess with that cannon of his be overrated?

Turn over machine? No. Not close. He's been part of the most successful defensive duos the last two seasons. I see him as a defensive defenseman with an absolutely lethal slapper that he's still learning how to use.

Pay him what it takes, though, I don't think he's going to go overboard. He's clicked very well with Soup and Weaver. 4 seems about right.
Quote:
Garrison has been on our top-pair for two years now and has proven that he can play alongside any type of defenseman.

Turnover machine? Huh? He's not average, defensively. Just last year, advanced metrics rated him as one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

If anything, the guy has been one of the most underrated D-men in the league the last two years, and I'd definitely give him more than 3 mill per.

Yeah, I find it ridiculous that anyone would call him a TO machine. In close games, what pairing do we always see late in games? Weaver and Garrison. Why is that? Is it because Garrison is so bad defensively? No, its because those two have been one of the better shutdown duos since the start of last season. Garrison should be in that tier right below all-star Dmen, and his play has proved that.

I would like to see:

Steeger - 4/$18 million
Garrison - 3/$11 million
Kulikov - 5/$19 million

That would put us at around $54 million, which would be about $12-15 million under the cap. Even if we add Huberdeau and Howden to the team, we would still be about $9 million under. I think if we can get into the playoffs, and get the increase in attendance, Tallon could be allowed to spend closer to the cap next year.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote