HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Flyers' lack of response to Steve Staios hit bother you?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Does Flyers' lack of response to Steve Staios hit bother you?

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...delphia-flyers

Quote:
Even on clean hits, we see guys go after opposing players when there's an injury on the play.
Quote:
This one was dirty. Talbot's head swung back, he clutched it as he fell to the ice, and he stayed down for a good 12 seconds. The entire team looked pissed as they realized what happened, yet nobody went after Staios. Nobody made him answer for the hit, whether on that shift or another in the final five minutes of the game.

A problem?
Someone should have went after him for the hit....

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Jtown

I dont think anyone actually saw Talbot get hit, and the players on the ice were all looking around trying to figure out what happened. The flyers are not the sabres, we respond to our players getting hit.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
bryzgalovsky*

there were only like 5 minutes left in the game and we were 1 goal up

nobody wanted to take a penalty at that point

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Nope it was a borderline hit and even with instant replay its still questionable as to where he actually got hit in the head. The scrums after clean hits are irritating whether for our team or against I'd much rather not be a part of them. That being said if someone goes out of there way and has a clear intent to injure on a clearly malicious play then yes they should. Not on borderline hits where even after slomo I still don't know whether he got hit int he head or chest

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

No. It was tough to call if it was a hit to the head. It was a 1 goal lead with under 5 minutes left and the NYI's powerplay had looked really good..
Plus look who was out on the ice at the time Timonen, Coburn, Read and Couturier, Coburn's really the only guy out there that could have done something.

So I'm fine with them not doing anything.. Plus they meet 4 more times.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
mirimon

No, for these two reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Nope it was a borderline hit and even with instant replay its still questionable as to where he actually got hit in the head. The scrums after clean hits are irritating whether for our team or against I'd much rather not be a part of them. That being said if someone goes out of there way and has a clear intent to injure on a clearly malicious play then yes they should. Not on borderline hits where even after slomo I still don't know whether he got hit int he head or chest

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:11 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Rinaldo will deal with it next game

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Or someone else, but yeah, this.

Get the W first in that situation, get revenge later, if Staois is still successfully clinging to life in the NHL.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Flyersfan139

It wasn't even a dirty hit. He did not contact his head with the elbow. Why do you think Talbot stayed on the bench? If he got hit that hard in the head they are required to send him to a dark room right?

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...delphia-flyers

Someone should have went after him for the hit....
remember when i said we should dress Zac. cuz this game might be chippy..

well there you go..

if Zac. is dressed for that game. Staios is bleeding for SURE !!!!

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:08 PM
ShelbyFlyer

Yes, It looked to me like Coburn at least was looking right at it. Staios skated at Talbots blind side and followed through with his elbow.

In contrast last night, Mike Richards took a 19 minute penalty for responding to a very similar "borderline" hit on Kopitar with five minutes to go in a one goal game. Gave Dallas a double minor powerplay. They scored on the second. Kings lost in a shootout. The Kings needed that extra point a whole lot more.

I think most times standing up for your teammates is more important than a point or two. Nobody in LA is upset at Richards. Nobody is questioning the King's response today.

I believe it was, Keith Jones who made a comment the other night that the League and refs will never be able to legislate bad hits out of the game. There will be times when players will have to do it themselves.

The response has to be immediate not weeks or months later because it is convenient to the standings. Does anybody doubt that Talbot wouldn't have jumped in for any of the others.

Last edited by ShelbyFlyer: 01-13-2012 at 04:29 PM.
ShelbyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
It wasn't even a dirty hit. He did not contact his head with the elbow. Why do you think Talbot stayed on the bench? If he got hit that hard in the head they are required to send him to a dark room right?
This. It seemed like an attempt at a penalty call more than anything. I hate seeing that kind of play. The guy is down but then gets up and skates to the bench on his own and starts chirpping right after there's no call.

It wasn't that bad and certainly not justifiable to react when leading by 1 with 5 minutes left in a game we have no business being in if it wasn't for our goalie. What? Our goalie steals a game for us? This isn't the Flyers board is it?

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
He got hit right in the left cheek, but it was his shoulder that made contact. His elbow flew up after from simple inertia.

I didn't think it was an attempt to injure, he just stepped up on the pinch and Max stepped right into it.

Having Max on the ice for Coots' GWG was repayment enough.

Staios is not a dirty player anyway, he's a nice Hamilton boy.

I used to buy my papers at his dad's variety story when he was in Jr....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

This is my thinking as well.

01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
boodangleroo28

to the op, i was absolutely bothered by no response. Especially considering what max is to our team and more importantly in our locker room. I realize wasnt anyone ideal on the ice for us but would of been great to see couts go after him, i believe he was the closest.

I question our team toughness every game....

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
The lack of response bothered me, yeah. I'm sure most of our guys seen the hit and did nothing. For those saying they didn't want to take a penalty in a close game; it's the lack of initial reaction and there was NONE. No one even skated over to Staios. If I see a teammate get blasted like that, I'm getting on that guy quick, game situation be damned. It would be my natural instinct and there was none from our boys last night.

This is the reaction I want to see...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-22365

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
The lack of response bothered me, yeah. I'm sure most of our guys seen the hit and did nothing. For those saying they didn't want to take a penalty in a close game; it's the lack of initial reaction and there was NONE. No one even skated over to Staios. If I see a teammate get blasted like that, I'm getting on that guy quick, game situation be damned. It would be my natural instinct and there was none from our boys last night.

They would have looked like idiots going after someone that made a clean hit if they ended up taking a penalty and losing the game.

That was not the time for it.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
somebody should. at puck drop. just like Richards had to fight after the Booth hit ..

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
They would have looked like idiots going after someone that made a clean hit if they ended up taking a penalty and losing the game.

That was not the time for it.
Was it a playoff game? Have playoff implications? Sometimes defense of a teammate and team unity means more than a point or two in January.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Was it a playoff game? Have playoff implications? Sometimes defense of a teammate and team unity means more than a point or two in January.
Nope. Being morons is never the right thing. It was a clean hit, there is nothing to respond to.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
How soon you forget 09-10...

Every point matters, you can't just throw a game away with 5 minutes left because someone made a clean check on one of your players.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Damaged Goods

No. 5 minutes left in a 1-goal game on the road is not the time for retaliation. I was happy they showed restraint. Face the Islanders plenty more times this year. They'll settle the score somewhere down the line.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
to the op, i was absolutely bothered by no response. Especially considering what max is to our team and more importantly in our locker room. I realize wasnt anyone ideal on the ice for us but would of been great to see couts go after him, i believe he was the closest.

I question our team toughness every game....
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Yes, It looked to me like Coburn at least was looking right at it. Staios skated at Talbots blind side and followed through with his elbow.

In contrast last night, Mike Richards took a 19 minute penalty for responding to a very similar "borderline" hit on Kopitar with five minutes to go in a one goal game. Gave Dallas a double minor powerplay. They scored on the second. Kings lost in a shootout. The Kings needed that extra point a whole lot more.

I think most times standing up for your teammates is more important than a point or two. Nobody in LA is upset at Richards. Nobody is questioning the King's response today.

I believe it was, Keith Jones who made a comment the other night that the League and refs will never be able to legislate bad hits out of the game. There will be times when players will have to do it themselves.

The response has to be immediate not weeks or months later because it is convenient to the standings. Does anybody doubt that Talbot wouldn't have jumped in for any of the others.
Can't believe some of you aren't bothered by the lack of response. The hit on Kopitar was a good example, if somebody on our team had done that I'd be fine with it. Sometimes points are NOT the most important thing. What if Hextall never responded to that hit on Propp and the Flyers were able to get that extra attacker on the ice for a elimination playoff game? The more important thing to do is stand up for your teammate. I was glad that somebody jumped on Cheilos' ass.

You don't let somebody on your team get hit like that. Say if that was Giroux, Couturier, or Schenn that got hit. This whole board would be up in arms if the Flyers didn't respond. Just cause its a 3rd/4th line grinder and the hit was borderline doesn't make it okay. You take the ****ing penalty to stand up for a teammate then you kill it off. That simple. Or at least have somebody go after Staios when there was under a minute left. But anyway...I'll be fine if somebody wastes Staios' ass next week.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Flyerfan4life

LOL @ Subban..

i didnt think i've ever seen a hockey player cower and get dragged around the ice like a doll before...

what a ***** !!!

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:00 PM
MsWoof

It's not really a surprise. The team looked like crap (except for Bob) last night so the apathy continued on the Talbot hit. Someone should have stepped up, and since they didn't I hope someone deals with him next time they play.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote