HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Barker Undergoes Ankle Surgery (UPDATE: Estimated Return After ASG Break)

Old
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Cam Barker skated today and said he might be back before the break. No definite time, but he's very happy with his progress. Alex Plante also skated and he's also hoping to return before the break. He wants to be ready for the AHL all-star game, which is the Monday after the NHL AS game.

Via Gregor's latest blog. Haven't heard much about Barker and we could use him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 500
Sutton and Barker, both + players on this ****** as **** team. and both are criminally underrated.

Cam comes back I expect a much better record then from when he was out

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
Sutton and Barker, both + players on this ****** as **** team. and both are criminally underrated.

I agree

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Koto

barker was never really that bad, but when he went down i wasn't upset with it, but im glad he'll be back soon.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
blue_n_copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post

Isn't Barker's suckage a puzzling thing. It is not visible when you watch him play and it certainly cannot be measured by any conventional statistics. The team has a way better record with Barker in the lineup than without him. And yet so many posters insist that it exists. We are supposed to take it as a matter of faith I guess.

Its kind of like the parable of the invisible gardener. What is the difference between a player who sucks in a way that cannot be seen or measured and a player who doesn't suck at all? I am not sure.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
The guy was painted with a black brush by fans here before he even played a game.
I watched him with an open mind and liked what I saw. He was a calming influence in our d zone, wouldn't rush a play by rimming it around the boards, has a good first pass and is a good smooth skater, and he was playing physical.
He hit 3 or 4 posts before he scored that beauty goal against the Avs and he was good at pinching and actually keeping the puck in the zone instead of giving up a 2 on 1.

I for one will be happy to see Barker back in the line up, at this point it definitely couldn't hurt.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Jaeger03

I don't think he'll make a difference, but he definitely didn't suck. I thought he played well for the Oil.

Jaeger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger03 View Post
I don't think he'll make a difference, but he definitely didn't suck. I thought he played well for the Oil.
Just need that warm body out there

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
TwoLegit2Quit

nothing wrong with the way he played, was getting better every game. he'll probably have a tough time when he gets back, but he's a good D man for sure. Gets it on his stick and moving up ice quick.
I think that's the job description.

TwoLegit2Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
It's a chain effect. When Barker comes back, he can play more minutes so guys like Peckham and Petry can go back to a more natural level of growth playing less. Then again, this whole season, the less minutes Peckham gets the better.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
Isn't Barker's suckage a puzzling thing. It is not visible when you watch him play and it certainly cannot be measured by any conventional statistics. The team has a way better record with Barker in the lineup than without him. And yet so many posters insist that it exists. We are supposed to take it as a matter of faith I guess.

Its kind of like the parable of the invisible gardener. What is the difference between a player who sucks in a way that cannot be seen or measured and a player who doesn't suck at all? I am not sure.
Barker was a 3d overall draft pick who failed to live up to his billing. He got traded from Chicago and had a horrible stint with Minnesota. He did not look anything special in his brief stint with the Oilers, but he also did not make any glaring mistakes Petry, Peckham, and Teubert make on a regular basis.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Barker was a 3d overall draft pick who failed to live up to his billing. He got traded from Chicago and had a horrible stint with Minnesota. He did not look anything special in his brief stint with the Oilers, but he also did not make any glaring mistakes Petry, Peckham, and Teubert make on a regular basis.
He also is more experienced than those 3 so it shouldn't be a surprise. That said, he's certainly not a bad bottom 4 defenseman

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
^
The guy was painted with a black brush by fans here before he even played a game.
I watched him with an open mind and liked what I saw. He was a calming influence in our d zone, wouldn't rush a play by rimming it around the boards, has a good first pass and is a good smooth skater, and he was playing physical.
He hit 3 or 4 posts before he scored that beauty goal against the Avs and he was good at pinching and actually keeping the puck in the zone instead of giving up a 2 on 1.

I for one will be happy to see Barker back in the line up, at this point it definitely couldn't hurt.
Most fans were surprised with the signing but kept an open mind only the paranoid fans declared he was a failure before he even played a game with us.

The man definitely has high skills, so a change in scenery with new confidence gradually made him a reliable player here. His absence from the lineup doe affect the overall defence corps. Peckham, Petry, Teubert, Plante should not be on the main team as far as I am concerned.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote