HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I know we've talked about athletes in this thread (specifically a certain Titan RB) that just don't get what it means to be a professional athlete, so I just wanted to take a second today to talk about one that definitely appears to be grounded and appreciate our support...

During the game yesterday, I tweeted after his first FG (an NFL record setting one - 9 straight weeks of at least 1-40+ yard FG) a congratulatory message to Rob Bironas on the TitanFans Twitter group. Late last night when I logged back into Twitter, I had a message from Bironas thanking me and he also took the time to thank the TitanFans Twitter group for their support. When I went to look at a his profile, it was nothing but him sending out thank you messages to regular schmoes like me for over 90 minutes on Christmas Eve!

Bironas, Brett Kern, and Mark Mariani have built a pretty strong link with Jordin Tootoo, Jon Blum, and Brian McGrattan on Twitter that I think is pretty cool. Each support each other and tweet actively about each others games and sports, they congratulate each other on triumphs, and provide support when times are tough. It's really a pretty interesting dynamic to watch develop between our two pro sports teams here in Nashville...

Old
12-25-2011, 03:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I know we've talked about athletes in this thread (specifically a certain Titan RB) that just don't get what it means to be a professional athlete, so I just wanted to take a second today to talk about one that definitely appears to be grounded and appreciate our support...

During the game yesterday, I tweeted after his first FG (an NFL record setting one - 9 straight weeks of at least 1-40+ yard FG) a congratulatory message to Rob Bironas on the TitanFans Twitter group. Late last night when I logged back into Twitter, I had a message from Bironas thanking me and he also took the time to thank the TitanFans Twitter group for their support. When I went to look at a his profile, it was nothing but him sending out thank you messages to regular schmoes like me for over 90 minutes on Christmas Eve!

Bironas, Brett Kern, and Mark Mariani have built a pretty strong link with Jordin Tootoo, Jon Blum, and Brian McGrattan on Twitter that I think is pretty cool. Each support each other and tweet actively about each others games and sports, they congratulate each other on triumphs, and provide support when times are tough. It's really a pretty interesting dynamic to watch develop between our two pro sports teams here in Nashville...
First of all, you aren't a regular schmoe. You're a light blue on HF Boards! We get media attention now!

Second, Rob Bironas is a great guy. I love how the Titans and Preds have built a relationship over the last couple of seasons. It really solidifies the sports community.

On a side note, I have a couple of nicknames for Bironas. B-Row is the one I use the most often, but Automatic Rob is another one. The guy is seriously one of the best kickers in the entire sport.

Old
12-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Legionnaire11

I was thinking about this the other day actually, there was always an article every year about Trotz's coaching staff and Fisher's coaching staff getting together during each others training camp for at least a one day visit, sharing ideas and such on practice, preparation and other qualities of professional sports.

I might have missed it this year, but does anyone know if Trotz has continued this relationship with Munchak?

Old
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Preds311

Gotta give a shoutout to my Alma Mater the Alabama Crimson Tide for dismantaling the LSU Tigers in the NC. Brought home #14(I'll admit a few are suspect lol)

Old
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Gotta give a shoutout to my Alma Mater the Alabama Crimson Tide for dismantaling the LSU Tigers in the NC. Brought home #14(I'll admit a few are suspect lol)
RTR.. #14 best college football in the world !!

Old
01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Still not undisputed

Old
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Still not undisputed
What do you mean by 'undisputed?'

Old
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What do you mean by 'undisputed?'
I mean there should be a third game at the beginning of next season is what I mean

Old
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
I mean there should be a third game at the beginning of next season is what I mean
bama is the undisputed national champ. did you watch the title game?

Old
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
bama is the undisputed national champ. did you watch the title game?
disputed.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
disputed.
explain please....

Old
01-13-2012, 01:28 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
explain please....
Oklahoma State played a much harder schedule and finished with the same record. LSU played a much harder schedule, finished with the same record and split two games between the two.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Oklahoma State played a much harder schedule and finished with the same record. LSU played a much harder schedule, finished with the same record and split two games between the two.

Don't lose to Iowa State then. That was unforgivable.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I'm no Alabama fan, but I think that "much harder" SoS theory didn't really pan out as the season progressed.

OSU played 4 teams that finished the year ranked in the AP top 25, 2 teams that received top 25 AP votes, and 1 team that finished the year ranked top 10.

They beat Baylor (#13 in the AP), Kansas State (#15), and Oklahoma (#16) and Stanford (#7). Missouri and Texas were the teams receiving top 25 votes (29th and 30th, respectively).

Alabama played only 3 teams teams that finished the year ranked in the top 25. All, however, were in the top 6. LSU, twice at #2, and Arkansas at #5. They lost one in overtime and demolished their opponent in the other two. They also played Auburn (#27) and Penn State (#33) who received top 25 votes.

My theory is that a lot of teams that Oklahoma State beat were highly thought of at one point. Texas A&M, Texas, Missouri, and Baylor spent time in the top 20 or higher before ending the season unimpressively, unable to justify early season hype.

Alabama's schedule was in the top 15 of virtually every BCS computer ranking. OSU had top 10 in virtually every BCS computer ranking. Not exactly "much harder."

When the wins are fairly close, as they were in this instance (Alabama has more top 10 wins, OSU more top 25 wins), you can't ignore the losses. And this is where OSU gets left behind. In the end, OSU was unable to overcome sneaking past a Stanford team that doesn't have the resume of a top 10 team (3 games against top 10 teams - 1 3OT win, 1 OT loss, 1 regulation loss), zero other games against teams who received an AP top 25 vote.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 01-13-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I agree that there should be a 3rd game pitting Alabama against OSU. But I think that every year. I'm not sure that rises to the level of disputing Alabama's claim to the title. If that's the case, then most years there would be a disputed title. In the past decade, I think 21 teams have received #1 votes in the AP final poll.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
NoNecksCurse

thanks smokey. you said it perfect. oklahoma state's schedule was overrated.. just see arkansas spanking kansas state .. before their game with stanford, oklahoma's state defense was ranked 107th .. if you really think they would have beat lsu or bama your crazy.. they barely beat stanford when stanford should have actually beat ok st.. stanford missed easy field goal and outplayed them the whole game..

alabama dominated lsu. and everyone agrees how great lsu was and their schedule.. no denying it. when bama comes out and dominates lsu like that in a title game where it matters, I'm not sure how you can say disputed national champs.. lsu didn't cross the 50 yard line but 1 time in the 4th quarter.. but then again people that make claims of a split title and bama not deserving it are the people that hate the SEC or hate alabama.. heres an idea.. DONT LOSE TO IOWA STATE !! thats the equivalent of alabama losing to vanderbilt but worse ..keep hating though guys, bama and their fans will just sit back and smile knowing we keep winning titles in tuscaloosa.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Nitrous Mafia

no division title, no conference title = disputed mnc

Old
01-13-2012, 10:36 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
NCAA's current setup, as much as I hate it, might have controversially produced a national champion. However, any argument in favor of another team is rudely and easily dismissed by Alabama's dominance of LSU.

You can always argue another team deserves a shot at Alabama, and I would support that. But under the current system, I can't see a strong argument in favor of LSU or OSU for a national title. You can dispute anything anytime, especially when you are a fan of a rival team/conference. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't change anything.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Legionnaire11

Jeff Fisher says, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em... this will be strange to see

Old
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
this happens all the time in NCAA basketball and it has never stopped anyone from disputing the legitimacy of the winners..

until the NCAA gets a true football playoff system, this is as good as it gets, and in most years it actually does pit the two best teams against each other, which is light years better than the old bowl system

Old
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this happens all the time in NCAA basketball and it has never stopped anyone from disputing the legitimacy of the winners..

until the NCAA gets a true football playoff system, this is as good as it gets, and in most years it actually does pit the two best teams against each other, which is light years better than the old bowl system
when they allow eleventy billion teams a shot I don't think that that's a fair comparison. besides, basketball is one of the worst sports in the world.

bammers will get the crystal ball but it will not be undisputed.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Preds311

Is is undisputed. Ask the BCS, ask the AP. That is all that matters. Thanks for playing.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
when they allow eleventy billion teams a shot I don't think that that's a fair comparison. besides, basketball is one of the worst sports in the world.

until the NCAA goes to a "Sweet 16/December Madness" level of "Playoffs" ... I'm really done with these clowns ... I haven't watched a second of the 4 letter network since the invention of NBCSN ... I listen to the DP Show in the AM & NBCSN at night and NHLN afterwards ... and with the way the NCAA is dragging there feet on this ... it's eventually going to a 16 team playoff ... Division Winners/Conference Winners/no more independents (Notre Dame, etc)

Old
01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:

so if we beat the flyers this year in the stanley cup finals 4-1 but we go 0-2 in the regular season against them, we're the "disputed" stanley cup champs???

please... you're logic doesn't make sense to me. it happens in all other sports. the bcs has just been under heavy scrutiny so everyone blows up every single match-up..

oklahoma state got outplayed by stanford.... stanford got absolutely creamed by oregon. oregon got spanked by lsu.. lsu got manhandled and dominated by the crimson tide.. you do the math. on top of that, they lost to iowa state. everyone that could have got in the title besides bama blew their shot.. yes there could have been a case for someone other than alabama to play lsu.. but the majority of people said alabama vs lsu as the title game.. just look at the coaches poll if you dont believe me. and that is about as un-biased as it gets.. a handful of coaches had oklahoma state ranked 3rd, 4th, and 5th.. the proof is in the stats. not just some bogus strength of schedule with an equal number of losses.. alabama answers all questions in the title game. for anyone to say alabama is anything but the undisputed national champ is A) crazy B) SEC/Alabama hater of some kind

Old
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Is is undisputed. Ask the BCS, ask the AP. That is all that matters. Thanks for playing.
this.

thanks.

Closed Thread