HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#44 Kings vs Stars 1/12/12, Post Game S/O Loss, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Too bad there is just one more season together in the Pacific.
They players rejected the new format so there is a good chance there might be another season with the same alignment

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
So reaper, you're saying you were happy with JJ's performance last night?

Come on man, just accept it you love him
Not really. He's got great offensive instincts but his defense is lacking to say the least. I guess I'm old school and I like my defensemen to play defense first.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
They players rejected the new format so there is a good chance there might be another season with the same alignment
That's why I said one more season, i.e. next season.

I expect the alignment to be part of the next CBA negotiations and I still expect Dallas to be moved away from the Pacific teams.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Too bad there is just one more season together in the Pacific.

Richards also deleted his tweet, but he will probably hear from the league anyways.
What can the league say 'we dont like what you said, but uhhhhh ye you were right, just dont be right again!!'

I have never known why instigating a fight with a visor was worth a double minor anyway. You are getting any extra 2 minute penalty for wearing a piece of safety equipment. Whats next, 2 minutes unsportsmanlike penalty for a goalie saving a puck with his neck guard because not all goalies wear them

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
That's why I said one more season, i.e. next season.

I expect the alignment to be part of the next CBA negotiations and I still expect Dallas to be moved away from the Pacific teams.
Gotcha..and I agree.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Anybody else really enjoying what Fraser is bringing every night? I thought he had a good game yesterday and it would have been sweet if his goal had counted.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Anybody else really enjoying what Fraser is bringing every night? I thought he had a good game yesterday and it would have been sweet if his goal had counted.
Considering that Fraser was basically a throw in player in the Smyth trade I'm very happy considering he can play minutes and not be a liability.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
across the whole season i think hes been our best bottom 6 player. The bottom 6 definately improved as a whole once he was first put into the lineup. He brings energy every shift like lewis and richie, but also does all teh dirty things, gets in peoples faces and fights at the right times

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Not sure if this was mention but one thing I want to say is hats off to Colin Fraser! He stepped up his game with Kopitar and Richards out in that final 10 minutes, and damn near scored the game winning goal.

That whole 4th line of Clifford/Fraser/Hunter since Sutter arrived is playing like how a winning teams 4th lines play in the playoffs. I hope they keep this up!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Why does Kompon Feel the Noise do all the between period interviews now?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
Not sure if this was mention but one thing I want to say is hats off to Colin Fraser! He stepped up his game with Kopitar and Richards out in that final 10 minutes, and damn near scored the game winning goal.

That whole 4th line of Clifford/Fraser/Hunter since Sutter arrived is playing like how a winning teams 4th lines play in the playoffs. I hope they keep this up!
I agree. I like the added responsibility Sutter has given Clifford on the PK. You can see Loktionov gaining confidence in his game as well.

The Kings dominated that OT last night.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Wayne Simmonds would've looked nice in a game like this last night.

Kings without Simmonds are VERY soft in the top 9. Even Poni has a few fights under his belt. The Kings have no one that can step up in the top 9 except Richards...I hope Lombardi fixes that....

Souray, Ott, Morrow only run around and act like that because who is going to do anything to them on the Kings? Greene? Clifford? Ha. Come on.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
http://youtu.be/7qBeA8v_dWA

This is the one I was referencing back to. They both seem to be very similar as the player in question is following through with a shot and it puts them in a bad position. The Brown hit was later deemed a clean hit but Brown was thrown out of the game. I guess what I'm getting at is it wrong to ask for consistency and that Morrow could have been tossed from the game last night, I mean the hit above Mittens pops right up, in the Kopi hit he suffers a possible concussion on what is deemed a clean hit? The league really needs to look at the way some of the things are being called in the games and re-evaluate some of the rules.

The targeting the head rule at this point to me is a joke (and clearly not working) with the amount of concussions in the league this year alone. It seems to be nothing more than a reason to screw one team over for a borderline hit that may (upon review) be deemed clean later. So I ask then what is the point of having it? If it isn't reducing the number of concussions and it isn't being used to protect players by enforcement of it (as in my opinion it could have been in this case) then what IS it doing?
I'm pretty sure it was universally agreed that that was a horrible call. To be fair though, that was at the beginning of the year of the "blindside hit to the head" rule, so the rules were different and they were really into trying to get refs to call those penalties at that time.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Couple Things:

- Kings 4-0-1 when I'm in the bulding

- This Larue guy is out to lunch. I know we don't like to get into much complaining about officiating but the guy ruined one of the best hockey games I've ever seen. Anyone making excuses for this clown and his partner needs to get their head checked because that was garbage, pure and simple.

- It's time to fire some people at Staples Center and they can start with the music director. I understand that no matter what musical act they pick not everyone is going to be happy. You can't please everyone, I get it. But I don't know if any of you were on the smokers deck in between periods or if they showed it on TV but the little twerps singing emo whiny bubble gum pop techno is just an insult. Why do they think grown men drinking beer and watching sports would ever want to hear this stuff? Who do they think the demographic is? I'll tell you this, when the song was finished you could hear crickets. I mean I seriously wanted to throw my beer at those guys and the person that booked them.

- Another thing that KILLS me about Staples Center is the lack of sufficient replays. They seem to have all the time in the world for kiss cam, dance cam, that metro seacrest wanna be hosting all their dumb contests, etc. but when our star player goes down from a disasterous hit we can't get a single replay. This has long been a complaint of mine and further strengthens my theory that most hockey arenas really don't care about the die hard fans that LOVE this game but they are too busy pandering to the casual fan, little kids, familys etc.

Sorry for the rant.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Why does Kompon Feel the Noise do all the between period interviews now?
Because Sutter can hardly speak.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
I'm pretty sure it was universally agreed that that was a horrible call. To be fair though, that was at the beginning of the year of the "blindside hit to the head" rule, so the rules were different and they were really into trying to get refs to call those penalties at that time.
I understand that, and yet more concussions this year, and less calls. So I think my point is still valid.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:26 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I understand that, and yet more concussions this year, and less calls. So I think my point is still valid.
You're point about inconsistency of reffing is definitely valid, I was mentioning the inconsistency of calling the instigator on the main board myself, but I do feel there is a discrepancy in your point. Just the fact that the rules were different at the time. The "blindside hit" thing is no longer in the rules and was the major determining factor in the call on Brown, I believe.

Not to discount your point entirely, but Morrow really couldn't have been thrown out for the same reason as Brown.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
- It's time to fire some people at Staples Center and they can start with the music director. I understand that no matter what musical act they pick not everyone is going to be happy. You can't please everyone, I get it. But I don't know if any of you were on the smokers deck in between periods or if they showed it on TV but the little twerps singing emo whiny bubble gum pop techno is just an insult. Why do they think grown men drinking beer and watching sports would ever want to hear this stuff? Who do they think the demographic is? I'll tell you this, when the song was finished you could hear crickets. I mean I seriously wanted to throw my beer at those guys and the person that booked them.
We got to see Patrick O'Neil interview them before they played and their name had something to do with Carolina and Patrick asks them if they are Kings fans. I think he is borderline retarded. Then we were lucky enough to watch their perfomance on the broadcast and it has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard and I said that while watching too. They did the band on the balcony thing last year too but I don't think they ever showed it on TV. AEG must be in cahoots with a record label or something. I can't believe some of the crap music they've tried to ram down people's throats. I don't go to a hockey game to discover a new band believe it or not. I actually like to go on the patio and not be disturbed by horrible music.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
We got to see Patrick O'Neil interview them before they played and their name had something to do with Carolina and Patrick asks them if they are Kings fans. I think he is borderline retarded. Then we were lucky enough to watch their perfomance on the broadcast and it has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard and I said that while watching too. They did the band on the balcony thing last year too but I don't think they ever showed it on TV. AEG must be in cahoots with a record label or something. I can't believe some of the crap music they've tried to ram down people's throats. I don't go to a hockey game to discover a new band believe it or not. I actually like to go on the patio and not be disturbed by horrible music.
Unfortunately this is the most likely scenerio

Old
01-13-2012, 03:58 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Couple Things:

- Another thing that KILLS me about Staples Center is the lack of sufficient replays. They seem to have all the time in the world for kiss cam, dance cam, that metro seacrest wanna be hosting all their dumb contests, etc. but when our star player goes down from a disasterous hit we can't get a single replay. This has long been a complaint of mine and further strengthens my theory that most hockey arenas really don't care about the die hard fans that LOVE this game but they are too busy pandering to the casual fan, little kids, familys etc.
I agree completely about the crappy music. The music they play is just utter rubbish, and I don't think it's that they pandering to a particular demographic, it's that contemporary pop music just has so little to do with hockey that the juxtaposition never works. When they play The Brigs or whatever other late-90s-early-00s buttrock they usually play, it sounds cheesy; then they play the kind of corporate mall-rock that they played last night, it sounds like corporate mall-rock. They just need to ditch contemporary music altogether, and go with either classic rock--not much after 1990--or just go old school all the way and just have an organ player.

The music seems like a problem to me that is related to the kiss-cams, games, and other garbage: Staples is trying to manufacture an exciting atmosphere. They're trying to get everyone excited, but it's all so fake and forced that it doesn't work. If they were smart, they'd knock off all that nonsense and simply mic the crowd. Amplify the cheers and jeers. If someone has a good set of lungs and a sharp tongue, let's hear it. When the crowd gasps at a big hit or a big save, make it louder. Let the natural chatter from 18,000 people be the excitement, don't try to manufacture it with garbage music and stupid games.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We need to re-utilize Penner. He should be firmly planted in the slot or around the crease. Watching his play in Edmonton, he was never a board worker, but usually a floater around the net, sifting through goal scoring areas. He scores his goals by driving to the net, but I don't see that from him anymore. We are a board working team, and he is usually on the boards or we are trying to utilize him as a perimeter sniper. His biggest asset is his hands and wrist shot, and he can't use them effectively on the outside. It is a little mind boggling to think how far he has fallen, because he has always been an effective left winger up until he joined the Kings.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

1/12/12 Morrow's hit on Kopitar

1/12/12 Morrow's hit on Kopitar

Here is Morrow's hit on Kopitar from last night's game against Dallas. What do you think about this hit and the penalties that came from it?

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
We need to re-utilize Penner. He should be firmly planted in the slot or around the crease. Watching his play in Edmonton, he was never a board worker, but usually a floater around the net, sifting through goal scoring areas. He scores his goals by driving to the net, but I don't see that from him anymore. We are a board working team, and he is usually on the boards or we are trying to utilize him as a perimeter sniper. His biggest asset is his hands and wrist shot, and he can't use them effectively on the outside. It is a little mind boggling to think how far he has fallen, because he has always been an effective left winger up until he joined the Kings.

His face looks thinner in these highlights.

I'm more and more convinced that his priorities lie elsewhere.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I agree completely about the crappy music. The music they play is just utter rubbish, and I don't think it's that they pandering to a particular demographic, it's that contemporary pop music just has so little to do with hockey that the juxtaposition never works. When they play The Brigs or whatever other late-90s-early-00s buttrock they usually play, it sounds cheesy; then they play the kind of corporate mall-rock that they played last night, it sounds like corporate mall-rock. They just need to ditch contemporary music altogether, and go with either classic rock--not much after 1990--or just go old school all the way and just have an organ player.

The music seems like a problem to me that is related to the kiss-cams, games, and other garbage: Staples is trying to manufacture an exciting atmosphere. They're trying to get everyone excited, but it's all so fake and forced that it doesn't work. If they were smart, they'd knock off all that nonsense and simply mic the crowd. Amplify the cheers and jeers. If someone has a good set of lungs and a sharp tongue, let's hear it. When the crowd gasps at a big hit or a big save, make it louder. Let the natural chatter from 18,000 people be the excitement, don't try to manufacture it with garbage music and stupid games.
So happy to see I'm not the only one annoyed by all this but I doubt this will ever really change.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
I have been complaining about this nonstop this season. Show the damn reason for the penalty call, show the board battle that not everyone can see, stop showing the stupid flexing. So freaking annoying.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote