HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sportsnet Magazine: Inside The Long Pathetic Fall Of The Once Great Canadiens Empire

Old
01-13-2012, 03:44 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So uh, can rebuild now? Please? And do it properly this time?
Short of Sam Pollock haunting the **** out of Geoff Molson, I am skeptical as to whether this will happen.

It's not like anyone who wants a rebuild thinks that it'll be an amazing experience. We know how much it will suck. We're just not afraid anymore. We already suck. The most crushing thing right now, is that there is no, or very little, hope. At least with a rebuild, we get hope.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Joe Cole

You may not agree with the artcile, but that is what it is. An article. Some guy's opinion.

Honestly, I had some pangs in my heart re-living some of those moments... I remember what a so-so team the Habs were in 86. How the '93 team beat the odds with a worse roster.

I remember Corey, Houle, Turgeon (Tur-juane, as I called him back then), Savard (all of them) on a day to day basis. Not in stories, but being a rabid fan, living day to day with this team. They were dark days.

The Habs fooled themselves into thinking they were good teams after those two Cups... and that was what screwed them. Guys who did not deserve it, delivered a Cup, then lived on the glory well past their expiration date.

And now we have Pierre Gauthier and his ilk of Senators and Nordiques... guys that never won a thing. Now.... they are the Habs.

The language thing, well.... that is a distraction from the thing that counts. Heart. Winning.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The Habs feel the pinch of the Nords coming back. They felt they needed to apologise not to lose half the fan base next year if the Nords comeback
Send me whatever it is you are smoking. Thanks

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The Habs feel the pinch of the Nords coming back. They felt they needed to apologise not to lose half the fan base next year if the Nords comeback. Its strickly business. But i agree with you. Bad management as failed us starting with Gainey and then Gauthier. This franchise must comprehend that we must tank for 3 to 5 years to build ourselve a champion. The ole saying goes ''no pain, no gain''
I don't think anyone truly believes the Nords would take half the Habs fans. The considerable Habs fanbase outside the province will remain unchanged. In the province, I'd assume the original six team from the much, MUCH larger city/region will retain more fans than the team that already had to be relocated once. But hey, if the Nords become the nationalist team, more power to them.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Gare Joyce raised some good points, however he loses credibility by buying into the myth of the territorial rights advantage

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You may not agree with the artcile, but that is what it is. An article. Some guy's opinion.

Honestly, I had some pangs in my heart re-living some of those moments... I remember what a so-so team the Habs were in 86. How the '93 team beat the odds with a worse roster.

I remember Corey, Houle, Turgeon (Tur-juane, as I called him back then), Savard (all of them) on a day to day basis. Not in stories, but being a rabid fan, living day to day with this team. They were dark days.

The Habs fooled themselves into thinking they were good teams after those two Cups... and that was what screwed them. Guys who did not deserve it, delivered a Cup, then lived on the glory well past their expiration date.

And now we have Pierre Gauthier and his ilk of Senators and Nordiques... guys that never won a thing. Now.... they are the Habs.

The language thing, well.... that is a distraction from the thing that counts. Heart. Winning.
80 through 93 Montreal was consistently one of the top 5-6 teams in the league. Those 2 cups were entirely deserved. Any other franchise that's a golden age. In Montreal it gets dumped on because it wasn't the 70's or 50's. The talent they dealt away for nothing 95 on was what killed the franchise.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I read it, I hated it, not saying all is false, but I'll say this: **** SportsNet magazine, who reads this **** anyway?

This was done as a piece Toronto people can masturbate to and the pessimistic miserable sons of *****es here can flail to.

It's the same kind of vomit that the local media heads produce to line their own damn pockets with cash. Because this is all this is, you know, for the media. It's producing a controversy that will sell copies, get hits and ratings, it has nothing to do with information, and all to do with creating controversy to create cash.

**** the media. **** the talking heads. **** the suicide crew here. And **** the french supremacist ********.
Yep.

Glad you see it, bro

All media people today want is hits to their Facebook pages... and Twitter accounts.

Money and ego is what its about.

And Francois Gagnon is a weasel of a **** disturber... he gets just a little TOO excited when he has his piece of DIRT to tweet.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
All I will say is that there is a glaring lack of professionalism on this team that had been apparent for at least 10 years.

Coaches being fired right before games. Players being traded during games. Strange, bizzare moves with no foresight whatsoever. And the GM sitting there, lying to the fans with a straight face.
Beyond the obvious lack of professionalism, these antics diminish and tarnish the reputation les Canadiens enjoyed for decades as being the class of the NHL.

Ownership and management took this status seriously and together with the on-ice successes, this prevasive attitude of saavy, class and professionalism made the Habs the most popular hockey team world wide.

I became a Habs fan in the glory days of Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman. One could be proud not only of the team on the ice but the team behind the bench and the team in the office.

I do think Gauthier is highly intelligent, has some good hockey knowledge and decent player valuation abilities. For me though, his mostly silent, condescending attitude smacks of a 17th century aristocrat and his bizarre classless treatment of players and coaches is not only arrogant and insensitive, but puts a pall over the reputation of the team and its ownership.

I am so disappointed.

Last edited by groovejuice: 01-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
80 through 93 Montreal was consistently one of the top 5-6 teams in the league. Those 2 cups were entirely deserved. Any other franchise that's a golden age. In Montreal it gets dumped on because it wasn't the 70's or 50's. The talent they dealt away for nothing 95 on was what killed the franchise.
If the kids here think the Cammy trade was bad... HA!

You should have lived through the Houle era and his bone-head Patrick Roy trade.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:19 PM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
great read on "Canada's team"

cheers

Between them and AMERICAS team I want to stop watching sports two historic franchise's in the toilet

NJHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Speaking as a fan from outside the province, I can say that there is a prevailing opinion that language is a serious detractor to the city, particularly the language police. French Canadian players don't want to be annointed to roles they can't fill and anglophones fear being turned on for not speaking french. Just an outsiders POV, not that I believe its true.
Not that it's not true. I mean, it certainly takes very little for the issue to snowball each and every time it's less than sunshine and lollipops in Montreal. Bolded is a repeatedly confirmed fact from talking to NHLers themselves. No matter how few players it may seem like that are actually on the record saying this in the "grand scheme", the language police in Montreal have definitely been making it harder to attract help from both inside AND outside the province (as you've highlighted above), so no need to be gracious/"neutral" and suggest that it's possibly not a real phenomenon.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
ReneBourque27*

Remember :

- Mike Ribeiro

it may be off topic, but that transaction is the MAIN reason our team sucks. If we would have kept that "cancer" and work with his maturity issue we would be a way better team now.

People praise Desharnais, well Ribeiro is 10x the player Desharnais is.

Worst transaction of the 21th century that set us back for at least 5 years and we still haven't recover from it.

ReneBourque27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:30 PM
habsrule22

could be worse, you could be a Leaf Fan.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneBourque27 View Post
Remember :

- Mike Ribeiro

it may be off topic, but that transaction is the MAIN reason our team sucks. If we would have kept that "cancer" and work with his maturity issue we would be a way better team now.

People praise Desharnais, well Ribeiro is 10x the player Desharnais is.

Worst transaction of the 21th century that set us back for at least 5 years and we still haven't recover from it.
Not only the trade, but what we got in return. ****ing embarassing.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
All I will say is that there is a glaring lack of professionalism on this team that had been apparent for at least 10 years.

Coaches being fired right before games. Players being traded during games. Strange, bizzare moves with no foresight whatsoever. And the GM sitting there, lying to the fans with a straight face.
I've said this for so long but always went ignored. There is this smugness and arrogance from this organization that I don't quite understand. If this was the 70's I'd understand...but where does the arrogance come from when you've gotten past the 2nd round once in almost 2 decades?

Then you consider all these "locker room cancers" and "difficult" players that have all been shipped out for crap returns...but their new teams have no issues with them. I wonder, is it the players or the team? I find that the Habs don't put their players in the best situation possible. This speaks largely to the failure in developing young talent. Yes, we missed out on Giroux, Bergeron, Lucic, etc...but who's to say these players would have been as good here?

There's a huge disconnect between Habs brass and reality. The "Habs way" is not the right way.

We had a chance in 09 to completely start from scratch. Our GM floundered. We now have a chance to somewhat start from scratch. Our GM is taking on long term contracts of 30+ year old players.

This crap has to stop. The delusional fans do not help either. We are an absolute joke around the league. There is nothing respectable about the current Habs. Nothing. People pitty us. They laugh at us...from other fans to the media to players.

This is precisely why the entire management staff needs to be wiped out and replace with respectable hockey men who know the frigging game and are respected around the league. Our GM needs to be a LEADER and the team needs to be an extension of him.

This article hurts, but it's pretty bang on.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:35 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Say what you want but the Leafs have had a lot more success than the Habs have had over the last 15 years. We can no longer laugh at Leaf fans...we haven't done jack in 2 decades.

Hab fans are way too cocky for their own good. We can't laugh at the Bruins or the Leafs... we are the joke now.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:51 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Say what you want but the Leafs have had a lot more success than the Habs have had over the last 15 years. We can no longer laugh at Leaf fans...we haven't done jack in 2 decades.

Hab fans are way too cocky for their own good. We can't laugh at the Bruins or the Leafs... we are the joke now.
what are you talking about, they haven't made the play offs since the lock out. They are barely in the play offs now. If finishing 8 th is a accomplishment. We ve been there, done that. At least if we have a top 5 pick this year, we will have it, and not have traded it away to Boston.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I've said this for so long but always went ignored. There is this smugness and arrogance from this organization that I don't quite understand. If this was the 70's I'd understand...but where does the arrogance come from when you've gotten past the 2nd round once in almost 2 decades?

Then you consider all these "locker room cancers" and "difficult" players that have all been shipped out for crap returns...but their new teams have no issues with them. I wonder, is it the players or the team? I find that the Habs don't put their players in the best situation possible. This speaks largely to the failure in developing young talent. Yes, we missed out on Giroux, Bergeron, Lucic, etc...but who's to say these players would have been as good here?

There's a huge disconnect between Habs brass and reality. The "Habs way" is not the right way.

We had a chance in 09 to completely start from scratch. Our GM floundered. We now have a chance to somewhat start from scratch. Our GM is taking on long term contracts of 30+ year old players.

This crap has to stop. The delusional fans do not help either. We are an absolute joke around the league. There is nothing respectable about the current Habs. Nothing. People pitty us. They laugh at us...from other fans to the media to players.

This is precisely why the entire management staff needs to be wiped out and replace with respectable hockey men who know the frigging game and are respected around the league. Our GM needs to be a LEADER and the team needs to be an extension of him.

This article hurts, but it's pretty bang on.
Is it the organization or the city that causes these problems? I wouldn't rule out the later one.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
what are you talking about, they haven't made the play offs since the lock out. They are barely in the play offs now. If finishing 8 th is a accomplishment. We ve been there, done that.
Over the last 17 years, the Leafs have had more success than the Habs. They're also currently on the upswing. I mean, how can you laugh at them given how poor his franchise has been since 93?

Old
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
SouthernHab

That article nailed it perfectly.

We are no better than Columbus. All we have left is the memory of what championships used to be like.

Piss poor management from Corey and Boivin. And now piss poor management from Gainey and Gauthier.

**** you Gauthier.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Is it the organization or the city that causes these problems? I wouldn't rule out the later one.
Then why doesn't this happen with the Red Sox, Yankees, Lakers, Flyers, Giants, etc?

All teams with huge fanbases, great nightlife, media. We've been leaning on this "it's the nightlife" crutch for far too long IMO.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
People keep saying this but if you looked at it, it would probably depress you more than the author's article.

It's been 18 years since Montreal's last championship.....almost 2 decades, which is longer than a player's career and longer than many people on this site have been alive.

Since then Toronto has missed the playoffs 8 times and only made it 9 times. Despite that, they have appeared in 21 playoff series and won 11 rounds while losing 9 for a success rate of .550.

Montreal has made the playoffs 11 times and appeared in 17 playoff series yet have only won 6 rounds while losing 11 for a success rate of .353.

Despite only making it 9 times, Toronto has won nearly twice as many rounds. When one thinks how badly Toronto has sucked and then looks at Montreal's "success", it truly puts into perspective how far they have fallen.

While I have nothing against any of the later guys, just look at the vast difference in calibre of the Captains. I think that says a lot about the problem (basically I'm talking quality here, not character):

Maurice Richard, 1956–60
Doug Harvey, 1960–61
Jean Beliveau, 1961–71
Henri Richard, 1971–75
Yvan Cournoyer, 1975–79
Serge Savard, 1979–81
Bob Gainey, 1981–89
Guy Carbonneau and Chris Chelios, 1989–90 (co-captains)
Guy Carbonneau, 1990–94
Kirk Muller, 1994–95
Mike Keane, 1995 (April–December)
Pierre Turgeon, 1995–96
Vincent Damphousse, 1996–99
Saku Koivu, 1999–2009
No captain, 2009–10
Brian Gionta, 2010–present

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Over the last 17 years, the Leafs have had more success than the Habs. They're also currently on the upswing. I mean, how can you laugh at them given how poor his franchise has been since 93?
The only success the leafs had was when they could spend as much as they wanted to buy a winner. And they couldn t do that right, because they didn t win it all. They never made it to the finals. Once a Salary cap was introduced, we know what happen after that, they haven t made the playoff since. That's Success.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
The only success the leafs had was when they could spend as much as they wanted to buy a winner. And they couldn t do that right, because they didn t win it all. They never made it to the finals. Once a Salary cap was introduced, we know what happen after that, they haven t made the playoff since. That's Success.
Coming out of the lockout the Leafs had 16 players aged 32 or older and their GM was told by management he was not allowed to rebuild. That's what has taken them so long. Not until Burke took the reins and was given free reign were they allowed to rebuild. In 3 years he has completely retooled the roster and stocked the farm and you are now seeing the results. If he stays for a while, I'd get used to them being competitive.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Skarjak

The article is right. Cammalleri was right. This team is just a bunch of losers. They've been losers for a long time, and they will remain losers for the foreseeable future. Only guy I care about is Price. Goalies sadly have nowhere to hide when the light turns red.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote