HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trading for Gleason vs L.Schenn vs Other

View Poll Results: Who would you rather trade for? Luke Schenn v Tim Gleason v Other[State who in thread
Gleason 30 46.88%
Luke Schenn 17 26.56%
Other 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It doesn't matter what I think it would cost us because it shouldn't happen.
I like your idea for the 1st 2, but I would entertain Voracek for Schenn.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
IceHot

vCash: 500
1) Gleason if we don't have to give up and hurt what we presently have working on the team.
2) I'd rather go after Franson then Schenn
Toronto would want a center which we have abundance of, the odd piece in our bunch being B. Schenn because he makes us break up our lines that have clicked together and it's caused us to lose a lot of games with him squeezed in the lineup. Would they even want a rookie and would they add a second player or pick?
This is why it's easier to grab Gleason.
3) make a full fledged effort to trade with Nashville for their stud defenders with insurance if we can't sign them.
4) sign a sumo wrestler who can skate to clog the crease and clear the crease. Not gonna happen so see number 1)

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
Toronto would want a center which we have abundance of, the odd piece in our bunch being B. Schenn because he makes us break up our lines that have clicked together and it's caused us to lose a lot of games with him squeezed in the lineup.
Would they even want a rookie and would they add a second player or pick?

OH. DEAR. GOD.

Brayden Schenn for Franson?!?

Just all kinds of fail here.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:03 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Do share...

Old
01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
1) Gleason if we don't have to give up and hurt what we presently have working on the team.
Toronto would want a center which we have abundance of, the odd piece in our bunch being B. Schenn because he makes us break up our lines that have clicked together and it's caused us to lose a lot of games with him squeezed in the lineup.
Would they even want a rookie and would they add a second player or pick?
This is why it's easier to grab Gleason.
3) make a full fledged effort to trade with Nashville for their stud defenders with insurance if we can't sign them.
4) sign a sumo wrestler who can skate to clog the crease and clear the crease. Not gonna happen so see number 1)
Deal.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
exporta

Gleason is probably the cheapest option without effecting the current core and then they can target a bigger fish in the off-season.

Beauch could be cheaper, but ANA gave up a good package to get him.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Deal.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Hey Flyers fans! Just wanted to say that you really can get Gleason fairly cheaply. If I were in your position I'd do that because it would free you up to go for one of Nashville's big two d-men. I'm not entirely sold on Schenn. Mainly because we've seen him in an offer for Staal like half a million times.

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
Hey Flyers fans! Just wanted to say that you really can get Gleason fairly cheaply. If I were in your position I'd do that because it would free you up to go for one of Nashville's big two d-men. I'm not entirely sold on Schenn. Mainly because we've seen him in an offer for Staal like half a million times.
Out of curiosity what do you think Gleason would cost the Flyers?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
Just for laughs, what were the Leaf Trolls thinking that the Canes had to add to a package to get Luke off the Leafs? Eric Staal + ???

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
hof2120

If the Flyers trade JvR for Luke Schenn I will ****ing rage.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Gleason is more attainable, more of a veteran (not even 30 though) and stable as a rock. I'd rather have him than Schenn, because we need someone that helps right off the bat.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
TheLegendkiller

Gleason. Everybody has pretty much stated why. In 2 years I can be JVR being playoff JVR in Toronto, tearing it up with Kessel while we're stuck with Braydon Coburn and the other Braydon Coburn name Luke Schenn.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Out of curiosity what do you think Gleason would cost the Flyers?
Something better than the 2nd + mid-level prospect that you guys keep proposing. Judging from the trade board, there are a couple teams not in the Atlantic Conference willing to pay that price. Not interested in doing a future rival any favors.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Kaktus*

I got to say that the only thing that I really like about L.Schenn vs Gleason is the fact that he is right handed shot.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I got to say that the only thing that I really like about L.Schenn vs Gleason is the fact that he is right handed shot.
Same reason I like Shea Weber. The Flyers need a good right shot at the point in my opinion. We don't have many righties in any position as it is. We have Giroux, Simmonds, Read, Briere and that's it on the active roster. unless I'm forgetting someone.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:18 PM
decadentia

I'd prefer Beauchemin, then Gleason, then Schenn. Reason being: none of these guys have #1 potential, and I really don't want to pay out the ass for a non #1D, that would be Schenn. He won't come cheaply, and he will not fill the need we are coming into.

We've already had a major makeover, if we're going to trade an integral forward of this team it better damn well be in a package for a true #1. Otherwise...more obtainable veteran as previously mentioned.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Kaktus*

Beauchemin is going to be 32. Has a lot of miles on him and not as good skater (my main concern going forward). I think if Flyers decide to invest why not invest into younger player.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Beauchemin is going to be 32. Has a lot of miles on him and not as good skater (my main concern going forward). I think if Flyers decide to invest why not invest into younger player.
Beauchemin is fine. Signing him to a modest 3 year deal (he's a UFA now) and he's an upgrade to Carle IMO. We need to get a more physical defender.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:54 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Beauch needs to be ruled out... he's even more unlikely than Suter or Weber IMO.

He likes it in Anaheim, the team / GM love him, the fans love him and absolutely don't want to see him traded (check the trade board... some good offers refused), etc. It just doesn't seem likely @ all... it seems like he will re-sign there for sure.

Gleason is our man IMO. And I think he could be had for a 2nd + 3rd + middling prospect. Most Carolina fans (the rude one who sarcastically said "more than the 2nd you keep proposing" not withstanding) agree that he should be able to be had pretty cheaply.

EDIT: And we can likely sign Gleason to a reasonable extension too. That combined w/ his age combined w/ his game (defensive, physical) makes him our perfect target.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
ELab2

They need help now and they may need a serious top-pairing addition in the next year. Trading for Gleason (or Beauchemin) gets you help now, and leaves you with all serious assets to get a top pairing guy later after things have been evaluated, if you decide that all you need long term is to resign one of them or Carle than you're in good shape.

Schenn is a long term addition with no top-pairing upside. So if you actually need to go get a top-pairing guy you may be stuck with a contract that makes that a little more difficult and you've given up assets that could have helped.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

OH. DEAR. GOD.

Brayden Schenn for Franson?!?

Just all kinds of fail here.
never said that, I said Franson and another player and or pick.
Another post of mine mentions Kulemin as that other player.
My point is if you are asking about a Toronto defender you should be going after Franson not Oops I gave it away Luke Schenn.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Gleason is our man IMO. And I think he could be had for a 2nd + 3rd + middling prospect. Most Carolina fans (the rude one who sarcastically said "more than the 2nd you keep proposing" not withstanding) agree that he should be able to be had pretty cheaply.
Rude? If I came across as rude, I apologize, I guess. That was not my intent by any means. I have no beef with y'all.

With that being said, I wasnít being sarcastic. I'd be disappointed if JR traded him to Philly for that. Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, Boston... fine. Philly, Washington... no.

Quote:
EDIT: And we can likely sign Gleason to a reasonable extension too. That combined w/ his age combined w/ his game (defensive, physical) makes him our perfect target.
This is why JR should trade him elsewhere if another offer is comparable. Letís say Gleason gets back on track in Philly (which I think he would) and then Holmgren extends him. Carolina then has to deal with him 6 times a year (realignment is delayed, not dead). A 2nd, a 3rd and a middling prospect for a couple years of Tim Gleason doesn't seem all that fair to me. Timmy re-signing in Detroit, for example, doesn't affect Carolina much at all. Thatís the whole basis for my objection.

I'd ask for a 1st, If I'm Jim Rutherford. However, I acknowledge that an unconditional 1st is too risky on your side. Therefore, I propose...

Conditional 2013 1st and a 2012 3rd for Gleason. If he doesn't re-sign, it becomes a 2013 2nd. A 2nd and a 3rd for a pure rental is pretty fair for both sides. Likewise, a 1st and a 3rd for a couple years of Tim Gleason is also pretty fair for both sides. Risk is successfully mitigated.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:50 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Rude? If I came across as rude, I apologize, I guess. That was not my intent by any means. I have no beef with y'all.

With that being said, I wasnít being sarcastic. I'd be disappointed if JR traded him to Philly for that. Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, Boston... fine. Philly, Washington... no.

This is why JR should trade him elsewhere if another offer is comparable. Letís say Gleason gets back on track in Philly (which I think he would) and then Holmgren extends him. Carolina then has to deal with him 6 times a year (realignment is delayed, not dead). A 2nd, a 3rd and a middling prospect for a couple years of Tim Gleason doesn't seem all that fair to me. Timmy re-signing in Detroit, for example, doesn't affect Carolina much at all. Thatís the whole basis for my objection.

I'd ask for a 1st, If I'm Jim Rutherford. However, I acknowledge that an unconditional 1st is too risky on your side. Therefore, I propose...

Conditional 2013 1st and a 2012 3rd for Gleason. If he doesn't re-sign, it becomes a 2013 2nd. A 2nd and a 3rd for a pure rental is pretty fair for both sides. Likewise, a 1st and a 3rd for a couple years of Tim Gleason is also pretty fair for both sides. Risk is successfully mitigated.
Gus/Bourdon and a 2012/2013 2nd for Gleason?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post

Sorry... been dealing w/ a lot of TML fans on here... after awhile, you start thinking everything is sarcastic and rude

You're fine and I have no problem w/ you, you actually apologized and explained yourself, which was quite respectable of you and I appreciate it!

And I totally understand your POV. If I were in your shoes, I'd want a 1st too.

Anyway we could make it two unconditional 2nds?

You trade us Gleason for 2012 2nd + 2013 2nd, regardless of whether he re-signs or not? I think that's a pretty fair middle ground. You end up ahead if he doesn't re-sign, you still get a nice return if he does re-sign.

I just can't see Homer giving a 1st for a rental top 4 defenseman...