HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

No checking in women's hockey

Old
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
DelZottoLover

vCash: 500
No checking in women's hockey

Why is it that there's no checking allowed in women's hockey? I'm a female and IMO, I would want to hand out checks and be checked. That just takes the most fun out of hockey.

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Most all recreation hockey is no checking. It's not just a female restriction. Everyone has to work in the morning usually so it's not too wise to be throwing your body around, haha.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Especially in adult rec hockey, where you've got a good chuck of people who learned as adults, checking isn't safe. There are specific ways to safely give and take a hit that you learn as a much smaller, lighter and more flexible child. Adults going out there and throwing their bodies around when they don't know how to safely check is a recipe for disaster.

As far as high-level women's hockey, it was a checking sport until 1989 (IIRC) when the IIHF decided the US and Canada were too physically dominant over other countries and removed it to help even the playing field.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:50 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Yes I think it should be allowed at the higher levels of womens hockey. Bantam through high school and college, just like the men. It's more than fun, it's almost necessary to counteract skilled offensive maneuvers and is just a very important part of the game.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
DelZottoLover

I guess those are good reasons. I mean as long as they were clean checks of course I wouldn't see a problem in it. It just makes hockey, hockey

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
As far as high-level women's hockey, it was a checking sport until 1989 (IIRC) when the IIHF decided the US and Canada were too physically dominant over other countries and removed it to help even the playing field.
Bingo!

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Especially in adult rec hockey, where you've got a good chuck of people who learned as adults, checking isn't safe. There are specific ways to safely give and take a hit that you learn as a much smaller, lighter and more flexible child. Adults going out there and throwing their bodies around when they don't know how to safely check is a recipe for disaster.

"The US and Canada are too good, so we're going to stop playing hockey"

No-checking "hockey" isn't hockey...

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
shawn1331

I heard for rec leagues as a kid it's physical limitations. I don't tottally agree with that because some girls obviously can take a hit and what not. But, on the other hand alot of girls are very timid and some don't have a high pain threshhold.

But I think in rep,AA,AAA etc. it should be in.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
I heard for rec leagues as a kid it's physical limitations. I don't tottally agree with that because some girls obviously can take a hit and what not. But, on the other hand alot of girls are very timid and some don't have a high pain threshhold.

But I think in rep,AA,AAA etc. it should be in.
If you're a timid person then hockey really isn't the sport for you.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
hyster110

i almost guarentee that if womens hockey had checking there would be alot less concussions from errant collisions

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:36 PM
ArrogantOwl

Just out of curiosity, what is considered non-check and non-contact by woman's game standards? Same as men's?

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:45 AM
TannerGlass

They are just too soft. Simple as that. inb4 I'm a troll, but I know my hockey. Whenever there was a girl playing against us guys, I obviously took it easy on them and they still couldn't even handle it. Just as a girl was dumping the puck in, I gave her a type of bump that I would give a little kid, and I'm pretty sure she broke her collarbone. #SoftAsButter

TannerGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
shoeshine boy

if you think there's no checking in women's college and international hockey then you're not paying attention. those players know exactly what the refs will let them get away with.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's no checking, but there is contact.

I've noticed a lot of women who played growing up are just fine but a lot that picked up as adults have too much of a temper and cheap shot. And the ladies on my team will be the first to tell you that.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
EasternConferences

Pretty sure some of these posts are just misogynistic trolling, but, I'll have my stab at it as a hockey-playing female.

Most programs go with the lowest common denominator: no checking. It's just easier to go with that, given the proportion of folks who began playing as a adults and don't have a handle on how to give and absorb good, clean checks. It's no knock against them: from a liability and practical standpoint, it's just easier to let it be no checking. That isn't to say there's no contact: there's plenty. Lots of shoving, getting body position on people, elbowing people out of the way, etc.

I played high school girls' hockey in MA between 2002-2005. We had checking. Everyone was fine. No problems. Some of the toughest checkers were the smallest girls out there--short, but stout and strong enough on their skates to toss tall girls like me. I don't know if that is currently allowed or if rules changes were made. Also, I know they vary state-to-state. Recently I joined a women's program, and I do non-contact coed pick-up. In theory, neither have contact, in practice, that's far from the truth. I also started adult drop-in pickup games that are pretty much "anything goes." People will hit people they know, or at least trust can take the hits. Thus far, I haven't give or taken any hits. I would have no problem if I did get hit.

Point is, you use your discretion. I know the rink director where I play recently came down hard on people that were throwing massive hits in the coed league. He even suspended some of them. Some rinks and programs have different policies than others--just get a feel for them and the people you're playing with.

EasternConferences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:39 AM
SCritical

It depends where you play whether they allow checking or not. But I think the reasoning is that compared with the men women are just more likely to be injured by a body check, this is scientific fact. But I've always thought that if I as a woman want to play a sport, I accept the risks rather than adjust the rules to give myself some small peace of mind

And yeah, no body checking doesn't mean no contact. The 'non contact' league I play in is still physical enough to keep the fun in hockey in my inexperienced opinion!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternConferences View Post
Pretty sure some of these posts are just misogynistic trolling, but, I'll have my stab at it as a hockey-playing female.

Most programs go with the lowest common denominator: no checking. It's just easier to go with that, given the proportion of folks who began playing as a adults and don't have a handle on how to give and absorb good, clean checks. It's no knock against them: from a liability and practical standpoint, it's just easier to let it be no checking. That isn't to say there's no contact: there's plenty. Lots of shoving, getting body position on people, elbowing people out of the way, etc.

I played high school girls' hockey in MA between 2002-2005. We had checking. Everyone was fine. No problems. Some of the toughest checkers were the smallest girls out there--short, but stout and strong enough on their skates to toss tall girls like me. I don't know if that is currently allowed or if rules changes were made. Also, I know they vary state-to-state. Recently I joined a women's program, and I do non-contact coed pick-up. In theory, neither have contact, in practice, that's far from the truth. I also started adult drop-in pickup games that are pretty much "anything goes." People will hit people they know, or at least trust can take the hits. Thus far, I haven't give or taken any hits. I would have no problem if I did get hit.

Point is, you use your discretion. I know the rink director where I play recently came down hard on people that were throwing massive hits in the coed league. He even suspended some of them. Some rinks and programs have different policies than others--just get a feel for them and the people you're playing with.
great post.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
If you're a timid person then hockey really isn't the sport for you.
I never said that, but I do agree with you. The only thing is they already have a hard time filling up girls teams where I am. And then to throw in checking only the strongest toughest girls would come out which would basically render girls hockey obsolete and they would come back to boys hockey. And I really don't want to deal with the "girls should be aloud to play boys contact hockey because we can take it too". No you really can't, I've never played with a girl that could play competively with the boys. Even higher level AA/AAA girls are quite timid and play pretty softly when playing contact with guys. And we tend to take it easier on girls as well.

Don't get me wrong a pro like say Cassie Campbell would absolutely and litterally mop the floor with us guys in contact because she is one of the few who excel at that. But for the average girl they wouldn't do nearly as well and it makes the game less fun for guys. Plus most girls wouldn't want to play boys hockey, it's just those 2 or 3 that want to make women equal in all the wrong places, such as hockey and football.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Kritter471

The average girl also hasn't been taught how to play check hockey and doesn't play it on a regular basis, which is far more important than this pseudo-sexist rationale you seem to be advocating.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:44 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
The average girl also hasn't been taught how to play check hockey and doesn't play it on a regular basis, which is far more important than this pseudo-sexist rationale you seem to be advocating.
But what I'm saying is 9/10 girls wouldn't play HS checking hockey with guys because its just how they're wired mentally. Most would be scared, I obviously know there are some that can and do play contact hockey and are very capable but you havre to look at the majority. Even mens adult leagues don't hit or at least not hard for fear of injuries. An injury as an adult can stop you from working where you have no benifits because it happened off job. And as a kid/student a lot of girls are either fully devoloped, or very small so you have a wide range of size without very much middle ground.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Kritter471

I don't think anyone is advocating co-ed check hockey at the high school level, though. Teaching girls to hit against each other removes most of the build differences that you're implying.

And if you're trying to say that introducing checking would be a benefit to bigger and stronger girls, well sure. But it's that way in boys hockey too.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:11 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
I don't think anyone is advocating co-ed check hockey at the high school level, though. Teaching girls to hit against each other removes most of the build differences that you're implying.

And if you're trying to say that introducing checking would be a benefit to bigger and stronger girls, well sure. But it's that way in boys hockey too.
No what I'm saying is if there was contact alot of girls shy away from sports like that. Meaning because there is already a low number of girls in non cantact then they would be sent into boys leagues because there wouldn't be enough numbers to play girl vs girl.

And I dissagree about it being an advantage to bigger guys. There usually clumsy and slow where as girls are genetically VERY good skaters and it's hard to find a girl that isn't quick and can turn on a dime that plays hockey.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Noir

Recreational leagues, (male or female) are non-contact not just solely as league restrictions, but as insurance restrictions as well (from what I've been told).

However, that being said, non-contact rules nor insurance restrictions really do nothing to stop dumb-***** that would rather body-check and gladly take the 2 minutes (esp. in a beer-league game where PP's aren't nearly as potent as what you see on TV with the NHL, or junior hockey).

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
However, that being said, non-contact rules nor insurance restrictions really do nothing to stop dumb-***** that would rather body-check and gladly take the 2 minutes (esp. in a beer-league game where PP's aren't nearly as potent as what you see on TV with the NHL, or junior hockey).
So true. I had no idea it was so hard to set up on the powerplay until I started playing a couple years back. So frustrating.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
forbs02
Blergh

When you get to high level women's hockey (DI college, international) there is a lot of contact. It is officially non-checkingt, but almost all contact is allowed except open ice checks and the throwing of a shoulder. It is a lot rougher than you probably think. If you are used to watching men's hockey one of the things that you have to adjust seeing is a race to the boards not resulting in someone being slammed into the dashers. It will be a controlled pin but on at an angle, which is legal. Incidental contact will occur and is rarely called unless it is deliberate interference. Most women are against checking. By not allowing hitting it opens the game up more. It also allows the smaller players to have a little more freedom. There is a more hooking/slashing in the women's college game than in the men, and that might be attributed to not being able to hit a player. Who knows?

I don't think there should be hitting in low levels of women's hockey, it would scare too many parents away if it was allowed. The game is fine the way it is and I would be that a lot of other women who play would agree with me.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote