HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First Rec game experience

Old
01-07-2012, 02:25 PM
shawn1331

vCash: 500
First Rec game experience

So I played my 1st "adult" pickup game yesterday. It is 16 and over so there was a wide mix of age groups out there. There was a few junior players about 19-20yrs old who all played on the same team and stayed on the same line.

There was a big defenseman who was probably 6'5+ off skates. He wasn't the strongest skater so these guys kept burning him with their speed and he was getting fed up. I don't know what triggered it but he head butted one of the juniors in the face(he wore a cage they wore visors except one who wore a cage) And cut his lip. The junior players buddy jumped in and the big Dman crosschecked him in the face/neck area so the junior player slashed his stick to the ice and dropped the gloves and took his bucket off to fight him. The big guy instead of fighting him picked up the juniors brand new Easton RS, first time he used it, and skated to the bench.

He slammed the stick off the top and the thing exploded. It broke in 4 peices which I've never seen before. Then he skated off to change and the 2 junior players were getting chirped because his buddy stepped in for him. So they all left as well as the big guy.

The big guy changed in like 2 minutes flat and belined for their dressing room. He went smashing on doors until he found their room and stormed in. I don't think there was any punches thrown but he came out 2 or 3 minutes later and screamed. He didn't scream anything just yelled.

Why do people get so riled up in rec league?

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Devil Dancer

Nothing like that ever happens in my league. At worst there will be a punch thrown, as in one punch, before a fight gets broken up and/or people get thrown out.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've seen my fair share of ****** bags at drop in and league play but nothing that bad. Was it reffed? Did the rink guys get the names of the players?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Stickmata

Unfortunately, while an awesome sport, rec hockey seems to attract its fair share of retards with anger management issues. Best to avoid and ignore them as best you can.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
shawn1331

Nope it wasn't reffed. We just let them go, we weren't gonna mess with that goliath after we saw him go into there dressing room with his stick. IMO the junior guys didn't instigate it I think he just go frusterated with there talent and it wasn't like they were really owning people they were just goofing off like everyone and there was tons of good players.

I'll never get that why people take a friday afternoon game so seriously. It's all for fun right.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
rinkrat22

unfortunately in life some people are **********. I think why we see them more in hockey is that as adults is because its really the only sport that can be played recreationally as close to the original sport we played as kids. You can't play (for the most part) full tackle football as an adult. so i think some guys can't sepearte fun from competition.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:05 PM
markisonfire

I hate to say it, but it's often the guys in lower-division leagues that get the most upset. Especially if the junior players were burning him the whole game. A lot of guys have egos and don't like it when younger kids make them look foolish. Sucks about the RS, I'd be pissed.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
I hate to say it, but it's often the guys in lower-division leagues that get the most upset. Especially if the junior players were burning him the whole game. A lot of guys have egos and don't like it when younger kids make them look foolish. Sucks about the RS, I'd be pissed.
very true. there are some folks, usually never-will-be's that seem to remove their brain the minute they put hockey pads on and step on the ice. it's like they forget that the others out there are real people too.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Some people use hockey as an outlet for stress relief, some use it for exercise, and some use it b/c they are mentally unstable and need an outlet for their rage.

If something like that happened in my league we'd kick that guy out, but that is one of the benefits to running your own league.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Some people use hockey as an outlet for stress relief, some use it for exercise, and some use it b/c they are mentally unstable and need an outlet for their rage.

If something like that happened in my league we'd kick that guy out, but that is one of the benefits to running your own league.
No doubt about it. Hockey is a weird sport in that you can commit crimes on the ice and it's technically part of the game. Some men use it to take out their frustrations, making up for bad decisions they have made in their life and they literally explode on the ice. The key for success in rec league hockey is identifying these guys and either using it against them or knowing when to stay away and let them get kicked out on their own. I've taken a 2 hander to the back of the neck and had a guy kick me twice on the ice with his skate blades, the latter I was in such disbelief that the guy basically just tried to stab me twice that I didn't even know how to react. Looking back I should have kicked the bejesus out of him but at least I know I have my emotions in check when the poop hits the fan.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:52 PM
shawn1331

yeah I agree with everything said here. In fact we were saying how if you drop the gloves and fight with skates on it's just a fight. you fight in the parking lot and theres charges and consequences.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
yeah I agree with everything said here. In fact we were saying how if you drop the gloves and fight with skates on it's just a fight. you fight in the parking lot and theres charges and consequences.
And let's face it-most rec league players don't know how to fight on skates. It usually involves some wild swings with poor balance and the other guy is covering up as though a bomb just went off nearby. I've received more damage from refs pulling me off of guys than in actual fights.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Were these kids "playing down"? There is nothing worse than some hotdogs who are angling for ice time come to a skate dominated by lesser players and show off. I'm not condoning what the big guy did, but I can understand why it happened. I play with a group who is mainly 30-40 year olds, and a couple of kids come every once in while. Let's just say that they don't do the hotdog routine anymore.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
And let's face it-most rec league players don't know how to fight on skates. It usually involves some wild swings with poor balance and the other guy is covering up as though a bomb just went off nearby. I've received more damage from refs pulling me off of guys than in actual fights.
LOL officiating men's rec hockey for the past 20 years, I can guarantee you that 95% of the guys can't fight on ice, and the 5% that do, will RARELY if ever drop their gloves in a rec game.

The key is to identifying who can fight, and who can't, and make sure the guys who can, don't hurt the guys who can't,

If I see two guys who can't fight square up, after I am done laughing at them, and yes, I let them beat the crap out of each other, they are adults, after I make sure everyone else stays out of it, then I go in and pull them apart.

What's worse, is the guys who egg guys on, then when they say yes, run and turtle like a little ***** lol, I've had that happen too many times to count,

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Fulcrum

Man, I don't know where you guys play, but my Rec league is all good sport and respect. I can only remember once when a new guy simply didn't know that there is no checking in Rec hockey, so he was forgiven. Other than that, jostling isn't checking... as long as everyone knows that.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Shame your first experience had to be ruined by a poor mans Chara. Dont let it bother you, sit back and relax and watch the idiots be idiots.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:08 AM
OpenIceHit42

Speaking of clowns, I had a guy spit on me during an HNA game last night.

He's the leading scorer in our division and my team has held him to 0 points in 3 games. I stood him up at the blue line and he speared me going the other way so I slashed him in the back of the legs, we exchanged words and the dude hawks one. Real classy.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:25 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Man, I don't know where you guys play, but my Rec league is all good sport and respect. I can only remember once when a new guy simply didn't know that there is no checking in Rec hockey, so he was forgiven. Other than that, jostling isn't checking... as long as everyone knows that.
What league do you play in in Toronto?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:57 PM
DJ Breadman

I play in a rec league that's pretty good, it's reffed and stuff like that, most guys are cool but id' say every team has 1 or 2 idiots, one or two guys you don't wanna turn your back too in the corner eventhough there's no hitting. I find if some guy is chirping you or saying you wanna go I just stand up to them and yeah come on lets do it and most will back down, alot of guys have jobs to go to in the morning and it wouldn't look good to walk into work with a black eye so they'll back off. I haven't called someone's bluff and actually had it back fire yet, LOL. I just avoid them don't let a couple idiots ruin it for ya. You'll find these people every where not just on a hockey rink just the way of the world.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
What league do you play in in Toronto?
chesswood arena

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Were these kids "playing down"? There is nothing worse than some hotdogs who are angling for ice time come to a skate dominated by lesser players and show off. I'm not condoning what the big guy did, but I can understand why it happened. I play with a group who is mainly 30-40 year olds, and a couple of kids come every once in while. Let's just say that they don't do the hotdog routine anymore.
Um, yeah there is. The reaction of the lunatic in the OP, for starters. No one likes playing against hot-doggers or ringers, but it's an inevitability of rec leagues.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
The big guy changed in like 2 minutes flat and belined for their dressing room. He went smashing on doors until he found their room and stormed in. I don't think there was any punches thrown but he came out 2 or 3 minutes later and screamed. He didn't scream anything just yelled.
LOL wtf. I think that tells you all you need to know about that guy.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
shawn1331

They COULD have been ringers, but they were just goofing off like playing with the toe of there stick trying to toe drag and not succeding. Actually they were mostly the "worst" players out there(obviously they weren't but because they weren't playing for real) they were having fun and not dominating the game so it was fine.