HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brenden Morrow hit on Anze Kopitar

Old
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Bmessy

vCash: 500
That was a scary impact with Kopitar and the boards, hopefully he's alright he is one of my favorite players.. and I think its pretty lame how Richards got the extra 2, I agree with his comments.

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Dado

vCash:
He instigated a fight on a clean hit. He should have been - and correctly was - penalized.

Seems like everything went they way it should have gone, in this situation.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 970
Richards isn't being forced to wear a visor, so if he wants to fight he needs to learn to take his helmet off. This isn't a surprise rule, so while I do understand his frustration, its stupid for him to complain. If visors were mandatory it'd be a different discussion.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
Richards isn't being forced to wear a visor, so if he wants to fight he needs to learn to take his helmet off. This isn't a surprise rule, so while I do understand his frustration, its stupid for him to complain. If visors were mandatory it'd be a different discussion.
Receiving an additional penalty for instigating a fight with a visor on is, in fact, a stupid rule. That's what he's saying. Most of the league wears visors and they still fight. That's not the issue. It's the instigator ******** that makes no sense. Morrow's hit on Kopitar was solid, clean, and crushing. Richards sees the play in full speed and doesn't know where the point of contact was, so he goes to fight. It's ridiculous to think that while his teammate is laying motionless on the ice, Richards should take a moment to tell himself, "I should take my helmet off so Morrow doesn't hurt his hand while trying to punch my face".

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Other guys have remembered that though when fighting. It's not like Richards is the first guy with a visor who ever tried to stand up for a teammate.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post
Receiving an additional penalty for instigating a fight with a visor on is, in fact, a stupid rule. That's what he's saying. Most of the league wears visors and they still fight. That's not the issue. It's the instigator ******** that makes no sense. Morrow's hit on Kopitar was solid, clean, and crushing. Richards sees the play in full speed and doesn't know where the point of contact was, so he goes to fight. It's ridiculous to think that while his teammate is laying motionless on the ice, Richards should take a moment to tell himself, "I should take my helmet off so Morrow doesn't hurt his hand while trying to punch my face".
I don't think its ridiculous at all; its a fast game that requires players to think quickly and know the rules they must abide by. If someone wearing a visor wants to fight, remove the visor or be penalized. I don't like the instigator rule, nor do I like that players feel the need to fight after clean hits, but even if they abolished the instigator, wearing a visor during a fight by either player should be a penalty.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
I don't think its ridiculous at all; its a fast game that requires players to think quickly and know the rules they must abide by. If someone wearing a visor wants to fight, remove the visor or be penalized. I don't like the instigator rule, nor do I like that players feel the need to fight after clean hits, but even if they abolished the instigator, wearing a visor during a fight by either player should be a penalty.
You may be right, but it's not the rule right now. If a guy with a visor and a guy without a visor agree to fight, there is no additional penalty. So what's the point? Safety only becomes important in instigator situations? You can say that the players know what they're getting into when they agree to fight vs. forced to fight, but I highly doubt any player who fights regularly gives a crap about their opponent wearing a visor.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Blues88

Clean, brutally solid hit with an unfortunate ending.

Let's put it this way in regards to Richards...

Right call, bad rule. What's the point of the instigator if they've, to date, never been able to consistently call it?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
WhoahNow

Richards instigated the fight there's no doubt about it, that being said it's a dumb rule. Richards should have gotten the extra two for instigating with or without the visor.

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
The Big Giant Head

This subject may be dead by now but ive been working all day so im late to the party. It seems to be a hot topic about fighting with a visor on and the issue i have is, say Richards does remove his helmet because he has a visor. Now, because he's abided by the league mandated rule, he's made himself vulnerable for a serious head injury. Many times in fights players get tired and grapple and yank at each others jerseys until they fall, sometimes violently, to the ice. In a situation where Richards has removed his helmet, giving the circumstances above, a serious head injury could be caused form his head hitting the ice. I believe this very situation happened last year in minor league game and the poor kid was killed or very seriously injured [Citation Needed].

The penalty for wearing a visor during a fight is total garbage in my opinion. If they other guy doesn't like that he's wearing a visor then he needs to keep his gloves on.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Lots of things were a factor in the three-point swing, including an incorrect puck over the glass penalty that led to the Kings 5-on-3 (replays clearly showed the puck deflected off a player's leg on the way out).
That's a dumb argument. If a slow-mo replay has to be used to determine a call, then you can't fault the refs for it. IMHO.

Quote:
The instigator was correct, and the officials signaled early in the game they were going to give the extra minors to guys who started scrums after the whistle. This was the only scrum that turned into a full-scale fight, which is why it was the only instigator awarded.
Souray wailing away at Williams while Williams was face down on the ice at the end was much worse, and was a "full-scale fight" (to use your term) albeit one-sided.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
This subject may be dead by now but ive been working all day so im late to the party. It seems to be a hot topic about fighting with a visor on and the issue i have is, say Richards does remove his helmet because he has a visor. Now, because he's abided by the league mandated rule, he's made himself vulnerable for a serious head injury. Many times in fights players get tired and grapple and yank at each others jerseys until they fall, sometimes violently, to the ice. In a situation where Richards has removed his helmet, giving the circumstances above, a serious head injury could be caused form his head hitting the ice. I believe this very situation happened last year in minor league game and the poor kid was killed or very seriously injured [Citation Needed].

The penalty for wearing a visor during a fight is total garbage in my opinion. If they other guy doesn't like that he's wearing a visor then he needs to keep his gloves on.
That's the same injury that ended Ryan Flinn's NHL career.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post
You may be right, but it's not the rule right now. If a guy with a visor and a guy without a visor agree to fight, there is no additional penalty. So what's the point? Safety only becomes important in instigator situations? You can say that the players know what they're getting into when they agree to fight vs. forced to fight, but I highly doubt any player who fights regularly gives a crap about their opponent wearing a visor.
You'd think that wearing a visor in a fight would be detrimental to yourself One punch to the front of your visor and you have a broken nose.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Williams punched Souray in the head first (as Souray was wresting with Doughty who he felt, rightly or not, ran his goalie and dropped an elbow into him), and Souray also got the only roughing out of that mess likely for coming back to get revenge. That was just a big giant scrum where no gloves were ever dropped, so no, it wasn't a "full-blown fight." Messy, absolutely. But not the same thing is Richards clearly jumping Morrow.

And I don't fault the refs for missing the over the glass, just saying one could argue that it cost the chance for the Stars to deny LA any points since LA scored the game-tying goal on that 5-on-3. Those things happen throughout a game, and to point to any one of them as responsible for the three-point swing is usually just whining.

ETA: They could have called things on Benn (rough), Fraser (cross check), Souray (rough) and Doughty (GI because you can't lower your shoulder into the goalie and you have to make an attempt to avoid him even if being pushed) from that scrum. They just got matchings on Souray and Doughty plus a mouthing off on Doughty. It came out relatively even.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Nose of Sutter

Clean hit, glad Kopi is okay. Morrow better watch his back next game against the Kings though.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Williams punched Souray in the head first (as Souray was wresting with Doughty who he felt, rightly or not, ran his goalie and dropped an elbow into him), so they were either going to get both or neither of those guys with roughings. That was just a big giant scrum where no gloves were ever dropped, so no, it wasn't a "full-blown fight." Messy, absolutely. But not the same thing is Richards clearly jumping Morrow.

And I don't fault the refs for missing the over the glass, just saying one could argue that it cost the chance for the Stars to deny LA any points since LA scored the game-tying goal on that 5-on-3. Those things happen throughout a game, and to point to any one of them as responsible for the three-point swing is usually just whining.

ETA: They could have called things on Benn (rough), Fraser (cross check), Souray (rough) and Doughty (GI because you can't lower your shoulder into the goalie and you have to make an attempt to avoid him even if being pushed) from that scrum. They just got matchings on Souray and Doughty plus a mouthing off on Doughty. It came out relatively even.
I love your selective interpretations. First of all, Doughty was clearly pushed into the goalie by Souray. Second, Williams didn't punch anyone, he was trying to grab Souray off Doughty -- he wouldn't get off him. Third, not sure what angle you saw but the Kings feed showed there was no deflection on the puck over the glass.

I do however, think Doughty wasn't "tripped" enough to warrant a penalty right before the Stars' third goal.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
14ari13

Clean hit

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Doughty lowered his shoulder because Souray was riding him into the goalie. Any normal person would lower their shoulder to brace for impact.

There's nothing even about Doughty getting pushed into the goalie, hit in the head while face down on the ice, then receiving a charging call and game misconduct --- when you compare it to Souray who punched both Doughty and Williams when they were face down and ended up with a minor roughing call.

All that to be said, I am glad Kopitar seems to be okay after the devastating hit.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
I love your selective interpretations. First of all, Doughty was clearly pushed into the goalie by Souray. Second, Williams didn't punch anyone, he was trying to grab Souray off Doughty -- he wouldn't get off him. Third, not sure what angle you saw but the Kings feed showed there was no deflection on the puck over the glass.

I do however, think Doughty wasn't "tripped" enough to warrant a penalty right before the Stars' third goal.
This. 100%

Old
01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
Clean hit, glad Kopi is okay. Morrow better watch his back next game against the Kings though.
Kings fans keep saying this, and I don't understand it for two reasons. The first being that it was a clean hit and he already answered the bell for it. Secondly, who on the kings does morrow need to "watch his back" for?

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
Kings fans keep saying this, and I don't understand it for two reasons. The first being that it was a clean hit and he already answered the bell for it. Secondly, who on the kings does morrow need to "watch his back" for?
Zombies.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
dabeechman

Quote:

The puck was over the glass cleanly. I can post up a video if you'd like from a clear perspective.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
The puck was over the glass cleanly. I can post up a video if you'd like from a clear perspective.
Please do. The Dallas feed was inconclusive.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
LadyKing17

People keep saying how they don't like it when players feel the need to fight after a clean hit... I don't like that either... but there was no way Richards could know whether or not it was clean. I think it was a clean hit, but when it first happened and I saw Kopi fly into the boards and lie flat on his stomach like that, I wanted Morrow's head on a silver platter too. I only calmed down after I saw the slo-mo replay and realized it wasn't as bad as it looked... a luxury that, in the moment, Richards didn't have. I'm more than happy with Richards response. I don't know what to think about the penalties that were called on him because of it, but it is what it is. I don't think anyone on the Kings will necessarily target Morrow because of this hit... but you can bet they will be physical because of the way the game in general went. It honestly could have been either team's game last night.

LadyKing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:44 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Please do. The Dallas feed was inconclusive.
Oh. So then how was the call "missed" then?

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote