HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible 2012-13 lineup/Cap situation

Old
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Ruutu will probably go to a contender as a pending UFA and sign with them, but yea he'd be a good fit.
I also like him. Exactly the kind of player we need on our team. Add a big defenseman and our line-up would look awesome next season.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I think we should experiment a little, do some radical outside the box thinking. What about we create an arbitrary rule just for the hell of it, sign only players 6'4'' and 240 pounds minimum. Real grizzly boys, mean, bloodsuckers, go into every arena in the league and make other teams fear for their lives. Winning games would be incidental. It would be more like a revenge tour for what's happened in the last five years. I'm pretty sure our fans could get behind that. We'd probably lose every game for 3-4 years, rack up number one overall picks and store them in the AHL. Once we've pretty much destroyed every other NHL team, broken their bones, taken their wives, changed the face of the NHL, bang, we bring up our picks, and dominate for ten years. I would even suggest changing jersey during those dark years like a superhero whose gone evil. Nobody would ever talk bad about us again. To me, that's a compelling story line, something that could definitely be pitched as a remedy to our malaise.
I like this.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Being on a roughly 50pt pace means he can't be a center in the NHL?

Don't get me wrong I'm not huge on DD but even I've come around a bit. He does a lot of good things out there despite being small.
Neo you misread me. I was saying in reference to dd at center abd gomez as winger. Hes done nothin to make me think he cant handle it is what I was tryin to say

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I might be in the minority but I don't think the team is as bad as it has been this season. PG mentioned something like due to injuries, we have only played 6 games were we were over the salary cap floor. And I noticed a lot of ppl don't like certain players because of their cap hit, example Kaberle. But I'm just playing around with some numbers, I think we can resign our key young players and add a few good pieces by simply sending Gomez to Europe.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the below line can be a really good team, and we would have around 3.9M in cap space to add a really good 4th line, and that's if the cap doesn't go up. I just see a really good top 9, no real number 1, but 3 good 2nd lines, and the same for the D, no true 1st pairing, but 3 good "2nd pairings"

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Tuomo Ruutu ($4.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.000m)

XXX: Tuomo Ruutu/Stoll/ guys that can play Wing and Centre in case you don't want to use DD at centre.

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
Bryan Allen ($3.500m) / P.K. Subban ($3.500m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.000m)

XXX: Stay at home tough D-men, ex Tim Gleason or Bryan Allen

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($5.500m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,358,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $3,941,667
I'm all for Ruutu but 4,5m per? Bryan Allen at 3,5m per?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I would love to have Parise on our team, a complete player to complement Plekanec. Imagine a Parise-Plekanec duo on the PK lol
And please stop putting Gomez in your lineup. Also, if PG/or whoever the GM is can trade Gionta, do it.

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.800m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Ryan White ($0.687m)
13th forward ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.250m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.200m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.200m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,145,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,154,167

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
SeriousHabs

The fact that Bourque is penciled in on the first line is very scary. At best he is a 2nd liner, ideally he is on an gritty-offensive 3rd. I like the Kostitsyn-Eller-Bourque 3rd line that someone posted. I won't attempt to make a roster now, as I'd rather wait to see what will happen at the deadline and the with the CBA negociations.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
I would love to have Parise on our team, a complete player to complement Plekanec. Imagine a Parise-Plekanec duo on the PK lol
And please stop putting Gomez in your lineup. Also, if PG/or whoever the GM is can trade Gionta, do it.

FORWARDS
13th forward ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

I like your lineup, but i think you are being overly optimistic in our RFA/UFA signing for big hometown discoutns.

i'd expect:
Price +1M (~6.5M)
Subban +1.5M (~4.75M$)
A.Kost +750K (~4.5M$)

Diaz/Emelin/Eller are probably close enough, though if Eller finishes the season strongly and ends up with 30-40pts he'll probably get closer to 2M$.

Mind you, simply move Kaberle, and it would solve the problem for all of them

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I like your lineup, but i think you are being overly optimistic in our RFA/UFA signing for big hometown discoutns.

i'd expect:
Price +1M (~6.5M)
Subban +1.5M (~4.75M$)
A.Kost +750K (~4.5M$)

Diaz/Emelin/Eller are probably close enough, though if Eller finishes the season strongly and ends up with 30-40pts he'll probably get closer to 2M$.

Subban doesn't deserve a raise. RFAs do not have the upper hand in negociations, and Subban has shown nothing that warrants a raise. Kostitsyn for 4.5M$ makes me uneasy. It would be ok for 2 years max, because 2014 is the real rebuild year.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

i'd expect:
Price +1M (~6.5M)
Subban +1.5M (~4.75M$)
A.Kost +750K (~4.5M$)

Subban won't make that much Miller, he's a first time RFA with almost no negotiation rights. He'll get high 2's on a 2-3 year deal is my guess. Then cash in big. I think anyways

Markov/Kaberle-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Diaz-FA signing/trade 2-3 million.

I like that defence a lot next season. Diaz has really surprised me.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Just tank solid this season to grab an elite foward and we wont have to rebuild, just retool..

Off season moves:

Hire Patty Roy as the new coach..

Trade Desharnais and Weber to Nashville for Radulov's right..

Bourque Grigorenko Radulov

Gionta Plekanec Cole

Leblanc Eller Patches

Real fourth line material.. Sign some of Shawn Thorton Brandon Prust Aaron Asham Zenon Konopka.. All UFAs at the end of the year..

On D, sign Ryan Suter.. Get rid of Kaberle..

Suter Subban

Markov Emelin

Diaz Gorges

Price
Only one Quebecer in that lineup. Is set up certain for disaster.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
The fact that Bourque is penciled in on the first line is very scary. At best he is a 2nd liner, ideally he is on an gritty-offensive 3rd. I like the Kostitsyn-Eller-Bourque 3rd line that someone posted. I won't attempt to make a roster now, as I'd rather wait to see what will happen at the deadline and the with the CBA negociations.
By who ? HF posters ? Yeah that's reality.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post

FORWARDS
13th forward ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Emelin, Eller, AK and Moen will cost more. Defence needs to be a lot better too. If we're gonna attract that big UFA, I want Suter to get that Gomer money.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Personally, I think DD should be moved. He's too small...especially on a team that has Gio. I'd like to see Leblanc make the jump to 3rd line center. Pleks can be #1 C and Lars #2.

Ruutu would be nice but in order for the Habs to land him they'll have to grossly overpay.

If Markov is ready to go, trade Kaberle (he becomes expendable). Need more muscle on D

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Subban doesn't deserve a raise. RFAs do not have the upper hand in negociations, and Subban has shown nothing that warrants a raise. Kostitsyn for 4.5M$ makes me uneasy. It would be ok for 2 years max, because 2014 is the real rebuild year.
23minute/night best defenseman on the team doesn't "deserve" a raise? really?

Yes, RFA's don't have the "upper hand", but assuming they want to keep Subban long-term, playing hard ball and lowballing him or keeping him on 1-year deals is not the way to go.

By the summer, the team should know full well if he's a long-term asset to keep, and if so, sign him to a 4-6 year deal that makes him feel good about the teams intent & appreciation of what he brings.

using their "upper hand" to lowball him will only backfire by creating doubt and alienation... we've done it successfully before in the past.

i agree that 4.5M$ for Kost is a bit unsettling, but despite people's perception of him as "inconsistent", he's actually been pretty consistent (if a bit underwhelming given the "potential") and his numbers definitely put him in the 4-5M$ range.

if we want to keep him, i suspect that's the price range we'll be looking at, term is another issue & hopefully he'll be ok with 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Subban won't make that much Miller, he's a first time RFA with almost no negotiation rights. He'll get high 2's on a 2-3 year deal is my guess. Then cash in big. I think anyways

Markov/Kaberle-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Diaz-FA signing/trade 2-3 million.

I like that defence a lot next season. Diaz has really surprised me.
i think you are being way too optimistic to think we'll get Subban @ less than 4M$, let alone 3M$.

Subban has an agent, and his agent will easily be able to build a case (that Subban believes) that he is worth 4M$+ given comparable players/contracts.

we aren't talking about Eller here, or some other player coming off of a ELC who is just establishing himself as an NHLer.

we're talking about a guy who, despite being a sophomore, is already the best dman (active at least) on his team, a guy the team "appreciated" enough to play 28+ min/game in the playoffs last year, a guy leading the team in ice time this year, and a guy who will (likely) have back-to-back 30+ pt seasons to start his career.

yeah, habs could lowball him and offer him Gill-type money... but you, I, him and everyone else out there knows he's far more valuable to this or any other team than Gill.

RFA means the team controls his NHL fate, but screwing him around with lowball offers will only create animosity and lead to problems we don't need or want with a guy who should be a staple on our first pairing for a long-long time.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

If Suter is available I would trow 6+ Million a season + at him

Suter-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Kaberle/Diaz

That is a rock solid Defense.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
If Suter is available I would trow 6+ Million a season + at him

Suter-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Kaberle/Diaz

That is a rock solid Defense.
Do want.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
I think we should experiment a little, do some radical outside the box thinking. What about we create an arbitrary rule just for the hell of it, sign only players 6'4'' and 240 pounds minimum. Real grizzly boys, mean, bloodsuckers, go into every arena in the league and make other teams fear for their lives. Winning games would be incidental. It would be more like a revenge tour for what's happened in the last five years. I'm pretty sure our fans could get behind that. We'd probably lose every game for 3-4 years, rack up number one overall picks and store them in the AHL. Once we've pretty much destroyed every other NHL team, broken their bones, taken their wives, changed the face of the NHL, bang, we bring up our picks, and dominate for ten years. I would even suggest changing jersey during those dark years like a superhero whose gone evil. Nobody would ever talk bad about us again. To me, that's a compelling story line, something that could definitely be pitched as a remedy to our malaise.
This... is the funniest post ever.I love it.Sign me up for this ride.

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Do want.
Quote:
This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on HFboards in while.

It'd be too good to be true.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
otto bond

I would love Suter in our lineup.....but I doubt Nashville lets him walks and if they do, we will never win that war.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:51 PM
habsrule22

I would trade off all of our impending UFA, the only exception might be Andrei. With those acquired assets, send some of it off to Nashville for the rights to Radulov. If we finish in the bottom 5. we would end up with one of the 3 russians. Get a brusing Dman and our retooling could be done.

Last edited by habsrule22: 01-13-2012 at 10:39 PM.
habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:36 PM
yianik

On the defence I think we have Markov, PK and Gorges on the top 4. Emelin is a top 6 player so far but progressing. My fear is that as I think he is RFA for only one more year that we lose him unliess we decide he is a top 4 d-man that is solid positionally , thoough will make gaffs here and there, and our only guy who hits alot and hard. I risk it and sign him to say 5 years for about $16.5 M. Diaz is pretty decent and top 6, though he can handle more than top 6 minutes. Weber is top 7. Gill and Campoli are allowed to walk. Kaberle is too weak defensively and even if Markov is out he just doesnt add much, and Id rather have a top 4 solid defensive and physical d-man than Kaberle. Get rid of this contracy while he is still producing, hurry. With Markov in, then a top 6 defensive physical player mighy do.

On the forwards, boy have we beefed up. I like AK46 and would like to keep him, but I think hes had enough of the Habs and where he is played so I think he doesnt sign. If he isnt interested in staying then trade him. Eller is progessing but not to top 6, who knows if he ever does. Desharnais is not a top 6 center, but we may want to hold on a year and see what Eller does. Otherwise we need a size upgrade on the 2nd line center spot. I hope Molson is willing to eat some cash because we really need Gomez gone and he has to go to the AHL next season unless by a miracle we can move him. Hell, lets start Eller at 2nd center next year. Otherwise we just need to have size and grit on the 4th.

Overall, this team is not as bad as it is playing right now.WE have just spun out. We just need leadership to calm the waters and just get through the year. In the summer the players will need to shake off this season and just come back to play. Hopefully we get a high pick. Sell UFAs at the deadline if we can. Its okay, just no more panic moves like Kaberle.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Chris G

3.5 for Bryan ****ing Allen? LOOOOOOOOL this is a ****ing joke....I hope

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:35 AM
ccgg

Sign Zach Parise as UFA, Shea Weber as RFA and a bunch of others. Trade Tomas Plekanec for Bobby Ryan. Trade Tomas Kaberle where you want.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.750m) / Lars Eller ($1.750m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Ryan White ($0.700m) / Aaron Asham ($0.700m)
Tim Jackman ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Shea Weber ($8.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.500m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.750m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.500m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Matt Carkner ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,508,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,791,667

And BANG! the Stanley Cup is back ! If the life was so easy...

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Subban doesn't deserve a raise. RFAs do not have the upper hand in negociations, and Subban has shown nothing that warrants a raise.
Subban's on 875,000 a year. I'm pretty sure he will get a raise.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:43 AM
HockeyF3ind

Assuming the Cap increases 3.3 million, here's my dream team. We trade Kabby, Gill, Campoli at the deadline. Trade/Bury Gomez. Then Saku convinces Teemu to do a season with the Habs, and then we sign Parise and Wideman in the off season. Then we win the cup.

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Teemu Selanne ($4.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.000m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Saku Koivu ($2.500m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Jeff Halpern ($0.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.250m)
P.K. Subban ($3.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Dennis Wideman ($4.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.250m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Peter Budaj ($1.150m) / Carey Price ($4.750m)

SALARY CAP: $67,600,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,458,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $141,667

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote