HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
Tyler Toffoli cut from the Canadian WJC team. That sucks, he had a 2 goal game in the final scrimmage too. It shows he still has a long way to go I guess.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Tyler Toffoli cut from the Canadian WJC team. That sucks, he had a 2 goal game in the final scrimmage too. It shows he still has a long way to go I guess.
Wow, I thought he would for sure be a lock for team canada. From the reports ive heard from people he has improved a lot from his draft year. Maybe this will put a chip on his shoulder and he'll work even harder to improve on his weak spots.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Canada is just very deep with talent and can't expect them to have a team full of goal scorers. Toffoli being cut doesn't necessarily mean he's not a good prospect, but with the intensity of these tournaments, they were probably seeking more than just goals when assessing who to retain on their roster. Let's hope this experience further motivates Toffoli to be a more competitive player.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I will be heading over to EU in a couple of weeks and will be meeting up with MK again. I will get to watch a dozen or so KHL and eq jr's games before heading to watch a couple of SEL games.

MK is a bright kid who is being treated like garbage in the same way that allot of young Russian kids who cross the ocean to take a look at whats on offer and then return home do.
Are you going to be watching some Skelleftea games? Cant wait to hear how MK personally feels about his treatment and direction since returning from the chl

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Fat Elvis

Where is Berube playing?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:22 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Where is Berube playing?
Ontario Reign in the ECHL, but I think he is hurt right now.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Where is Berube playing?
He's struggling in Ontario (ECHL).
http://www.ontarioreign.com/team/pla...?player_id=110
http://echl.com/stats/player.php?id=3913

Old
12-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Fat Elvis

Thanks, it does look like a tough season for him so far.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Moustache! Your claims of him struggling are invalid due to moustache.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

By this time next year Forborts doubters will be counted among his fans. He has over the past month taken a step forward in his progress and his confidence. While being asked to do more than a young talented over sized player should be after taking some time to find his feet he has finally begun turning the corner in his development.

This years tourney will allow some Kings fans the chance to watch him play a few games more than usual and I believe that you will see what I have been fortunate enough to watch in person 5 times this year and the rest on tape and that is a kid who needs time and confidence to continue developing but has come a far way from his clumsy choppy play.

Forborts biggest challenge to date has been the ability to read the play as it develops and as such has been finding himself lost at times. It has taken a little while but he is turning the corner and starting to become allot better at reading the play and then making great decisions once he has.

Big players take longer to develop almost every time and that is just the way it is but if you get a chance to watch him over the next week I think you will start seeing the reason why we traded up to get him.

He is changing my mind more and more each time I see him play lately.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:29 PM
KingLB

Should be noted Gravel made the US WJC squad as well. Good for him as he definitely wasn't a lock going in. Also good to see a "defensive dman" progressing in the system.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:34 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Kevin Gravel will play in the NHL one day.

He just will end up playing in the NHL one day. He doesn't have a flashy game but he does have game. He can skate, he finishes his checks, he makes smart plays with the puck and can be counted on in front of the net.

He plays a quite game, a smart game and can at times seem invisible on the ice and while that mind sound bad, think of Scuderi's best games and you will know what I mean.

His coach praises Gravel's play and has said that he (Gravel) is one of the best stay at home Dmen to play for him in awhile. I have had the chance to follow Kevin allot this year (while following a team mate) and while I saw him a little bit last year I almost didn't recognize him when I first saw him play this year.

He has put on a little needed weight and continued to develop his balance/skating ability. His shot is pretty good but not a rocket but that isn't his game anyways. Gravel is just a smart play reading shut down machine with very good ability at every aspect of his game.

You almost want to see him have a rocket of a shot our breakaway speed so that he can really stand out but then, he doesn't need any of that really. He stands out simply by playing smarter hockey than his team mates and usually his opponents.

Kevin Gravel will play in the NHL and I think he is going to be a good stay at home shut down type Dman when the time comes. I would say give him 2/3 years before he really starts making his push but he has the physical attributes to make it sooner.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Hell of a weekend for Tyler Toffoli.

3 goals, 10 points in 3 games.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Hell of a weekend for Tyler Toffoli.

3 goals, 10 points in 3 games.
he got 3g 2sh 7a 10 points plus 8 in the three games. He leads the OHL in goals with 33 and leads the OHL in plus/minus with a plus 32. He is second in scoring with 66 points 33g 33a in 37 games.

Weal got 3g 6a 9 points plus 3 in three games in the WHL. He is second in scoring with 69 points in 42 games with 25g 44a plus 29.

Last edited by rick3652: 01-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.
rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:20 AM
SuperAlmeida

Nick Shore with 21 points (5G & 16A) in 22 games for the University of Denver. He seems like a playmaking-type of player! Can somebody give an analysis of his strenghts as a hockeyplayer?

Edit, I found this on Hockeysfuture:

Quote:
Shore is a skillful, two-way forward that is blessed with tremendous hockey sense and great hands. He thinks the game remarkably well and possesses the ability to dictate the tempo of a game. His anticipation is very good and makes smart decisions both with and without the puck.

The young center’s hands coupled with his superb on-ice vision allow him to find open teammates and get very crisp tape-to-tape passes to them. Shore also possesses a good, active stick and does a good job of taking away lanes from opposing players.

He is strong in transition and is equally at home playing both offense and defense. Although he plays center for the University of Denver, Shore can also play on the wing. He uses his 6’0 200 pound frame quite advantageously, particularly in high traffic areas. He also brings passion and grit to his game, and doesn’t shy away from the physical side of it.

While Shore is known primarily as a playmaker, he also has very good finishing ability. Another of Shore’s greatest attributes is his terrific shot, but he could stand to shoot the puck more often. And it’s something Shore readily admits to.

Shore’s skating is also quite good. He skates with strong, smooth strides and has good balance. He is not lightning fast, but moves and accelerates very well. He also does a good job of consistently keeping his feet moving too.
Michael Mersch has 16 points (7G & 9A) in 20 games for the University of Wisconsin.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 01-09-2012 at 05:30 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I absolutely loved the Shore pick. I can't add anything to the scout analysis, all I can say is he is a playmaking center who can chip in a few, and he is the definition of a character guy. He will probably be an in-betweener though (much like Stoll is (with a completely different skillset) in between the 2nd and 3rd lines, not really fully belonging in either role), but who knows how far he can go. I am hoping Andreoff is our third line center of the future.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Weal has 1+2 tonight.

Trying not to get excited over his numbers, but its hard sense he's only 19. (Won't be 20 until April)

The truly impressive stat is that nobody on his team has even half as many points as him. 2nd is Brandon Davidson with 33.

EDIT: Holy cow! Weal finished with 2+3.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 01-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old
01-13-2012, 09:05 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Weal has 1+1 tonight.

Trying not to get excited over his numbers, but its hard sense he's only 19. (Won't be 20 until April)
He's putting up good numbers for certain. I'm also impressed with Schumacher. He's a rookie in the OHL and though he was one of the youngest picks in the most recent draft, he's put up 35 points in 40 games. Hopefully he can move up to the AHL next season.

Edit: Back to Weal though, I just read KopitarFAN's edit, and I'm very impressed with Weal leading the team with 75 points, while the second highest scorer has 33. Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the +/- stat, it's cool to see him lead the entire league in +/-.

Last edited by King'sPawn: 01-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.
King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Weal has 1+2 tonight.

The truly impressive stat is that nobody on his team has even half as many points as him. 2nd is Brandon Davidson with 33.
Look at last year's point totals...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...010042011.html

He's also a +34.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Weal had 1+1

Toffoli had 1+2

Old
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Weal had 1+1

Toffoli had 1+2
At this point right now, both Toffoli and Weal lead their respective leagues in scoring, though they have played a few more games than the players behind them.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Toffoli is really gifted, if handled properly I think he could turn into the finisher they need. See all those open nets L.A. missed in the third period and overtime Thursday? He'd have BURIED those. He is never going to win any fastest skater competitions but his shot is lethal.

01-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Toffoli is really gifted, if handled properly I think he could turn into the finisher they need. See all those open nets L.A. missed in the third period and overtime Thursday? He'd have BURIED those. He is never going to win any fastest skater competitions but his shot is lethal.
Bernie Nicholls wasn't a very gifted skater nor would he ever have been considered fast, but his shot release was one of the best. If Toffoli could carry that over to the NHL...

Old
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Bernie Nicholls wasn't a very gifted skater nor would he ever have been considered fast, but his shot release was one of the best. If Toffoli could carry that over to the NHL...
Perfect mentor for him, hopefully he is still around when Toffoli is looking to make the roster.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
riznat

Michael Schumacher's team loses 8-0, he ends up with a + - of 0. I suppose thats like a hat trick in a game that lopsided right?

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote