HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Old
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

We are about a month and a half away from February 27th, and with a highly touted draft approaching us, and a tight run for the playoffs, what are your predictions?

-Will Maloney have another one of his deadline furies?

-Will he make minor tweaks, or stand pat?

-What position do you want to see strengthened, and who do you want to see us pick up?

In my personal opinion, I hope we end up in the Ales Hemsky race. Yes, he is a free agent at the end of this year, but Edmonton has an abundance of forwards, and has nearly no defensive future. We have a lot to offer in that regard, and I feel that a talented winger like Hemsky is something that could make us a better squad in the long run.

Thoughts and ideas, speculation and rumors are beyond welcomed.
Discuss.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
mitch27

If we knew for sure we could get Hemsky to re-sign I'd be all for trading for him. He's been one of my favourites for a long time.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
hbk

I've been on record for awhile now that Phoenix is a lottery team that overachieves due to their coaching and playing style.

I think we'll be in a position where we will be out of it by the deadline and some of the other issues will force Maloney into making some moves.

My pure speculation:
1) Doan to Chicago for a package based around Center prospect McNeil. Rangers may be other suitors who would have to include JT Miller in their package. Red Wings and Vancouver likely also in on it but both lack the Center prospect in particular that Phoenix so desperately needs in their system. Phoenix will also have to take a salary on.
2) Roszival to Flyers for a 2nd round pick. Yeah, he's a rental and his cap hit sucks but he is cheaper than some of the other scenarios and doesn't completely handcuff the franchise at season's end with a new CBA and the potential return of Pronger at some point.
3) Whitney to Boston for a 1st round pick and a salary. Red Wings might also be in on Whitney.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We are looking at a top ten pick, at the moment. Unless we have an amazing February and March, we will be sellers, not buyers. Speaking of buying and selling, I think the relocation writing is pretty much on the wall at this point. I'd ask Doan if he'd like a chance to go to Vancouver and contend.

Doan to Vancouver a 1st+2nd

Whitney to Boston for a 1st.

All vets on expiring contracts for picks.

Then we go into full tank.

Before the lottery the NHL announces the relocation to Quebec

Before the draft the Nordiques announce Patrick Roy as new head coach.

Nords take Mikhail Grigorenko 2nd after a dramatic trade up.

Nords trade the 30th pick and Derek Morris to Columbus for Vermette.

Nords trade a good 2nd to Nashville for Radulov.

On July one the Nords vastly over pay Semin and Hemsky.

Semin-Grigorenko-Radulov
Vrbata-Hanzal-Hemsky
Korpikoski-Vermette-Boedker
Torres-Gordon-MAP/Brule/Chip
Bissonnette

Yandle-Gormley
OEL-Rundblad
Klesla-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
LOL

Yay Nords! *puke*

01-13-2012, 08:56 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

I'm not quite fully on the tank wagon like rt is, but If Maloney decides to blow it up I wouldn't be against it. I'm just glad Doaner got his hattrick in front of yotes fans before the team left.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We are looking at a top ten pick, at the moment. Unless we have an amazing February and March, we will be sellers, not buyers. Speaking of buying and selling, I think the relocation writing is pretty much on the wall at this point. I'd ask Doan if he'd like a chance to go to Vancouver and contend.

Semin-Grigorenko-Radulov
Vrbata-Hanzal-Hemsky
Bissonnette

Yandle-Gormley
OEL-Rundblad
Klesla-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
LOL

Yay Nords! *puke*
And Ill find my hockey fix Non-NHL wise after the relocation.

Hell if the team is gone anyway we might as well just blowup the whole team at the deadline and make QC start from scratch.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Hell if the team is gone anyway we might as well just blowup the whole team at the deadline and make QC start from scratch.
They may want to anyway. The overwhelming majority of QC is Francophone, of course, and if Montreal is any indication, there will be pressure to bring in more French-Canadian players. And rt may be right in suggesting that the neo-Nords would replace Tippett with a Francophone coach, which would be completely asinine from a hockey standpoint, but that's cultural politics for you. (And in fairness, for all we know, Tippett may not want to live in that fishbowl anyway.)

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Tippett has been in either Texas, California or Arizona since 1994. I don't think after 18 years in the Southwest, he's just dying to go live in Quebec City. I seriously doubt it. He's too good. He can get a job anywhere he wants. Any low budget team should be DYING to add him.

Patrick Roy, on the other hand has been a god in QC with the Ramparts for a half decade.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
MP

Quote:
Patrick Roy, on the other hand has been a god in QC with the Ramparts for a half decade.
Imagine if he washed out, a la Gretzky. He stands a better chance of making it because he's got more coaching experience than Wayne had, but on the other hand, every mistake, every shortcoming, every disappointment would be under far more scrutiny. Roy isn't exactly laid back, either.

It could work for all I know, but there's definitely the potential for a major press conference meltdown if things go badly.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ramparts have done well. Wayne Gretzky's only head coaching experience was his son's little league baseball team. That soundsike a joke. It's not. He went from little league baseball to the NHL. Not a Disney movie. Real life. What a ****ing sham.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Ramparts have done well. Wayne Gretzky's only head coaching experience was his son's little league baseball team. That soundsike a joke. It's not. He went from little league baseball to the NHL. Not a Disney movie. Real life. What a ****ing sham.
That's so sad that it pains me.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
They may want to anyway. The overwhelming majority of QC is Francophone, of course, and if Montreal is any indication, there will be pressure to bring in more French-Canadian players. And rt may be right in suggesting that the neo-Nords would replace Tippett with a Francophone coach, which would be completely asinine from a hockey standpoint, but that's cultural politics for you. (And in fairness, for all we know, Tippett may not want to live in that fishbowl anyway.)
On 2nd thought, lets not break up the team!! Diversity is a must!!!

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Kaibur

I'm really surprised GMDM hasn't made a more substantial move by now. Looking at our record the last 10 or 12 games, he's got to be aware that we're dropping like a stone. Why wait until we've fallen too far? There's a bit of an art to messing with good locker room/hotel/airplane chemistry, but at some point, good chemistry or not, as Tippett says this is a results driven business, and they're just not delivering the goods. Moves like COR were good to buy some time while they figured out the Turris business and Chip, POS, MAP and Brule are ok dumpster diving attempts for the bottom 6. But there's got to be a line when you realize that the problem is goal production and a PP hovering around worst in the league that requires a more substantial shake up.

I'm sure the relocation question and budget issues are extreme limiting factors, but I want to see a little more Maloney magic. They need to decide if they're coming or going before the decision is out of their hands. Trim up some of that defensive depth and bolster the top 9. Just because Smith or Hanzal is out shouldn't be an acceptable excuse to go 2-4-4. That's not going to cut it. Make a move Don.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:40 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:

Semin-Grigorenko-Radulov
Vrbata-Hanzal-Hemsky
Bissonnette

Yandle-Gormley
OEL-Rundblad
Klesla-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
LOL

Yay Nords! *puke*
So after all those moves the team would still have LOL and Biztweet? Damn.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I really really REALLY hope the team doesn't end up in ****ing Quebec. If that's the case, **** it, I hope DM goes on a buying spree. Mortgage the future in an effort to make one last run at finally getting out of the first round of the playoffs. Gormley, Rundblad, their 1st and 2nd rounders would fetch some very nice rental players.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:12 AM
awfulwaffle

I'd like to try to see the team make the playoffs again this year. As much as it pains me to say, I don't see this team staying here for another year. Where they will go, I don't know. But how are they going to stay? Glendale has already stated they aren't going to put up another $25 million. Hell, they barely put up $25 million this year.

We have plenty of Defensive ability to put out on the table for other teams, I think we will be seeing some moves to bring in some offensive talent. I just hope we make the moves before we are too far back of 8th. At this point, if we go on a good run, we are in decent shape, but if we continue on the path we have been on, we are not looking good for making the playoffs period.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:05 AM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Can we trade Tippett? Maybe some other team is desprate enough for a first round exit that they'll give up valuable assets for him.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Slavko*

Send a message via Skype™ to Slavko*
Time to trade Yandle (maybe right after ASG) for quality C.

Yandle + 2012 2nd (from Ottava) for Seguin [oh, just for example ]

With OEL, Klesla, Gormley, Schlemko, Summers we look strong enough at left side.

Slavko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
BUX7PHX

I'd like to see if we can get Drew Stafford from Buffalo or Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal. Both would definitely help out the anemic PP that we have. It's funny b/c before the season, welcoming Anderson into the fold made it seem like we'd be a little better on the PP. The problem is you can diagram the plays all you want, but when no one is willing to move during the PP, it doesn't mean crap. How many times do we send the puck to either Whitney or Boedker along the half-wall, and then they wait with the puck there for what seems like an eternity for our weak-side point to cut in, or to see Doan set up for a one-timer in the slot. Problem is that means only the point man is moving his feet, and Doan will just park himself in an area, with everyone else trying to do the work.

Sorry for the soapbox moment there, but Stafford would be nice to pick up, if we can send a defenseman and forward/pick their way...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Screw this team.

That is all.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Screw this team.

That is all.
I'm getting very close to this point as well.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Screw this team.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I'm getting very close to this point as well.
I can understand Phxcoyotes, being an Arizonan, feeling that way but I don't understand why you would since you follow them from afar anyway. I suppose it's frustrating watching them have no money year after year but that will change next season. They'll likely be somewhere else but again, you're not here so why does you care?

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:41 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I can understand Phxcoyotes, being an Arizonan, feeling that way but I don't understand why you would since you follow them from afar anyway. I suppose it's frustrating watching them have no money year after year but that will change next season. They'll likely be somewhere else but again, you're not here so why does you care?
I have grown up loving this team. I identify with the PHOENIX Coyotes. I don't want them to move any more than you. I'm not a typical Canadian elitist, I don't want the whole NHL in Canada. I love the game of hockey and I want to see it grow. If this team moves it will be a completely different organization, it just won't be the same for me. It doesn't matter that I live far away, I love the PHOENIX Coyotes.

I, however, was talking about the on-ice product and the effort level this year, as opposed to the relocation issue.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
How ignorant. I didn't know REAL Coyotes fans could ONLY reside in PHX. I grew up in PHX but my job has me in Texas now. Guess I should have converted to a Dallas fan then? What about Tucson? Flagstaff? Are they fake fans too? Ever thought that a Canadian that spends the winters spending money in PHX (you know that time hockey is ongoing?) may have grown to love this team? Your comments prove that elitists don't just live in the north.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I, however, was talking about the on-ice product and the effort level this year, as opposed to the relocation issue.
As was I.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote