HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matthew Lombardi

Old
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Flgatorguy87

vCash: 500
Ya nobody remembers now, go do some digging and you'll find it. I never said they were well informed posters, but they were there. You are also correct when you said it was after he returned early. There was a resurgence of posters who came to gloat again because Lombardi was back in playing shape. At no point have I dismissed Fransons play or even stated that I thought Lombo was droppable. I am just making observations for discrepancies in your own fan base If you don't agree then credit your own fans.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
It's kind of ironic that you try to make me (the old dumb southerner) seem stupid, yet you struggle with reading comprehension. My point is that NOT YOU but some Leafs fans were bragging about Lombardi at the point of trade, now some Leafs are talking about dumping him outright.

Also let's drop the cliche boring "southern" stupid thing. Or why don't you go ride a horse and drink maple syrup while you chop wood drinking Labatt.

See I can make ignorant incorrect stereotypes as well.
The only way your point is valid is if you can prove that the same Leaf fan(s) who were gloating are the same ones that are now trying to unload him.

I don't know why the OP feels the need to pay to unload Lombardi. He hasn't played particularly well, but he hasn't hurt the team either. About what one should expect from a player coming off a major injury. Some people just need a whipping boy it seems. Lebda's gone, Komisarek's playing better, and Frattin (a rookie!) has been sent down, so I guess Lombardi's it for the time being.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The only way your point is valid is if you can prove that the same Leaf fan(s) who were gloating are the same ones that are now trying to unload him.
Touché, I'll give you that one, because I can't prove that or won't take the time to do it.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Amazing hoq quickly some Leafers have thrown this guy under the bus after he comes back EARLY from a head injury and they thought he may never play again. He comes back, gets injured a again, hasn't even played half a season is NHL hockey but people can't wait to deal hiim.
During his tenure in Toronto, he's problably held value to the Leafs for a grand total of a week -- when both Connolly & Bozak were hurt, while Grabo wasn't playing well.

Other than that, he's simply a player we had to take to get Franson / get rid of Lebda. Sure, he's actually played (when he wasn't expected to), and that's why Leafs fans want to move him -- there's a chance that somebody might actually want him after getting over the concussion. Unlike the expectation when we traded for him, from Toronto's perspective, he now has to be factored into the cap instead of LTIR.

There are other teams who don't have as many #2-4 centres under contract next year, with a $3m 3rd line winger in Colby Armstrong. For a team that may have a tough time attracting UFAs, Lombardi may be a sensible risk to take.

Does that mean we'd pay to get rid of him right now? I suspect not. It wouldn't make sense to sacrifice centre depth for no reason down the stretch. I also don't see the Leafs being in a position where they have a trade that brings in so much additional salary, that it would require trading Lombardi.

However, if a team wants to place value on him, it certainly wouldn't take a lot to get Lombardi out of Toronto.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Some Leafs fans are way too impatient. The guy was out for an entire season for Christ's sake. Yeah sure, his offensive numbers aren't as good as they were, but he was out for an entire year and just came back from injury. Give the man some time.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Poor guy plays 24 games after missing an entire year and offseason of training and some fan wants to give him awaywelcome to Toronto

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
TOGuy14

I would deal Lombardi, but not because he has played poorly, he just doesn't fit with his current cap number on our team given our build and what we need

With our current depth chart we have Connolly on the top line and Grabo on the second. Bozak is more than fine as a third line center (especially with his good cap hit), and Steckel can center the 3rd/4th line as well.

It is a 3.5M cap hit we have nowhere to fit in really. It is more that we would like to transfer that resource into a different position of need.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:12 AM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
what would it take to move him out of toronto? would this get it done?

Tor: lombardi, 3rd rnd pick

Any team: 7th rnd pick
You're embarrassing our fanbase ... and a classic movie in Point Break ...

GardinerExpressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Whydidijoin*

For the record, Franson is and always was the steal of the trade. However, Lombardi, playing or not, is still better than having Lebda on our team. So in a sense, both players were steals, even more-so now that Lombardi has healed. Maybe that's where these phantom posters came from.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:45 AM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auliewantsisplayoffs View Post
You're embarrassing our fanbase ... and a classic movie in Point Break ...
how am i embarassing the fanbase? its not a proposal, im not saying we should do this, im just wondering if burke does decide to move him what it would take, the 3rd rnd pick was just me venturing a guess and based off the trade we did to acquire lombardi my guess doesnt seem that outlandish.

P.S. im glad your a fan of point break, best action film of the 90's

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
lombardi was concussed when the trade happened. we didn't even know if he was going to play this season.

now, begin your backpedaling
spot on chap, spot on!!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Hulk Hogan*

Matthew Lombardi
3rd round pick 2012

Alain Berger
Maxim Trunev
7th round pick 2012

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
It doesn't matter that we are the richest nhl team in the world. Would someone please explain to this man what a salary cap is
... even a basic cap understanding would enlighten you to knowing that his salary doesn't count against the cap when he's waived and sent to the AHL.

Do you now see why spending a 3rd just for cap relief is nonsensical given the status of the Leafs financial stability? If we were, say, Nashville, then maybe this might make sense.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan View Post

Matthew Lombardi
3rd round pick 2012

Alain Berger
Maxim Trunev
7th round pick 2012

Wouldn't you guys just LOVE this, eh?

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

He hasn't been great but he hasn't been bad. Leaf fans just dislike him cause of his contract (delusional).

He's not available for a 7th round pick.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:34 PM
GOLeafsWootWoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Are all of you guys on crack. Have you watched any Leafs games this year. He's played fine, no way they would PAY to get rid of him. Christ
hmmm lets see
7 points (2 G) in 24 games, -8
3.5 million dollars
He's not in our future, he's injury prone
I mean we wouldn't pay alot
Maybe a 5th round pick
He's replacable by Colborne/Frattin/Boyce etc.
I mean I like the guy, but 3.5 is alot of cap space for a point every 4 games
So if we're on all crack you must be on crystal meth

GOLeafsWootWoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Briecheeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
It's kind of ironic that you try to make me (the old dumb southerner) seem stupid, yet you struggle with reading comprehension. My point is that NOT YOU but some Leafs fans were bragging about Lombardi at the point of trade, now some Leafs are talking about dumping him outright.

Also let's drop the cliche boring "southern" stupid thing. Or why don't you go ride a horse and drink maple syrup while you chop wood drinking Labatt.

See I can make ignorant incorrect stereotypes as well.
Only one ignorant poster (OP) wants to get rid of Lombardi. Everyone else is fine with keeping him.

This thread never should have existed. Apparently OP has never heard of dumping a salary in the AHL (or the Jeff Finger Corrollary, as Leafs fans would call it).

Worst thread I've seen a Leaf fan make yet. Someone close this.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan View Post

Matthew Lombardi
3rd round pick 2012

Alain Berger
Maxim Trunev