HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trading for Gleason vs L.Schenn vs Other

View Poll Results: Who would you rather trade for? Luke Schenn v Tim Gleason v Other[State who in thread
Gleason 30 46.88%
Luke Schenn 17 26.56%
Other 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-14-2012, 01:35 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Sorry... been dealing w/ a lot of TML fans on here... after awhile, you start thinking everything is sarcastic and rude

You're fine and I have no problem w/ you, you actually apologized and explained yourself, which was quite respectable of you and I appreciate it!

And I totally understand your POV. If I were in your shoes, I'd want a 1st too.

Anyway we could make it two unconditional 2nds?

You trade us Gleason for 2012 2nd + 2013 2nd, regardless of whether he re-signs or not? I think that's a pretty fair middle ground. You end up ahead if he doesn't re-sign, you still get a nice return if he does re-sign.

I just can't see Homer giving a 1st for a rental top 4 defenseman...
The only problem with this, is that Homer did do it once before, but really, really paid the price for it, so I'm sure he won't do it again (1st, which became Carlson, for Eminger).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Sorry... been dealing w/ a lot of TML fans on here... after awhile, you start thinking everything is sarcastic and rude

You're fine and I have no problem w/ you, you actually apologized and explained yourself, which was quite respectable of you and I appreciate it!
We're good. Trust me, the Canes fans on this site understand your annoyance. Before setting their sights on JVR and Getzlaf, Leaf fans were all about Eric Staal.

Quote:
And I totally understand your POV. If I were in your shoes, I'd want a 1st too.

Anyway we could make it two unconditional 2nds?

You trade us Gleason for 2012 2nd + 2013 2nd, regardless of whether he re-signs or not? I think that's a pretty fair middle ground. You end up ahead if he doesn't re-sign, you still get a nice return if he does re-sign.

I just can't see Homer giving a 1st for a rental top 4 defenseman...
That's the beauty of the conditional pick. If he's a rental, it's only a 2nd and a 3rd.

In regards to your counter... you're getting warmer. It would really depend on what else is out there. It's a fair offer, I'll say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The only problem with this, is that Homer did do it once before, but really, really paid the price for it, so I'm sure he won't do it again (1st, which became Carlson, for Eminger).
Didn't Holmgren move the Flyers' 1st last year for Versteeg?

But, that's one way of looking at it. The other way is that Carolina drafted Paradis in the same spot the following year (). You never know.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
This is why JR should trade him elsewhere if another offer is comparable. Letís say Gleason gets back on track in Philly (which I think he would) and then Holmgren extends him. Carolina then has to deal with him 6 times a year (realignment is delayed, not dead). A 2nd, a 3rd and a middling prospect for a couple years of Tim Gleason doesn't seem all that fair to me. Timmy re-signing in Detroit, for example, doesn't affect Carolina much at all. Thatís the whole basis for my objection.
Eh, come on, that's such a hollow argument. Who cares where he signs. You'd be getting your fair share in return, and all this talk about not trading it to a rival or a team in the same conference is just old school superstition. Sure, if he did get traded here, and he would score on you or something, you'd feel bad for a couple of minutes, but ultimately that would have zero impact on anything that's worth anything. It's just as likely some other defensman would score on you if he didn't get traded instead, and it's also a possibility that the person you got in return for him would've scored if there was no trade, but of course doesn't now that he's not on the team anymore.

This isn't Montreal, so let's at least try to be rational and not make whimsical and overly emotional judgements

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:29 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Beauchemin is going to be 32. Has a lot of miles on him and not as good skater (my main concern going forward). I think if Flyers decide to invest why not invest into younger player.
Beauchemin would be a nice fit for us this year. I think he likes it on the west coast though, so I doubt he'd re-sign if he even agrees to a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Rude? If I came across as rude, I apologize, I guess. That was not my intent by any means. I have no beef with y'all.

With that being said, I wasn’t being sarcastic. I'd be disappointed if JR traded him to Philly for that. Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, Boston... fine. Philly, Washington... no.

This is why JR should trade him elsewhere if another offer is comparable. Let’s say Gleason gets back on track in Philly (which I think he would) and then Holmgren extends him. Carolina then has to deal with him 6 times a year (realignment is delayed, not dead). A 2nd, a 3rd and a middling prospect for a couple years of Tim Gleason doesn't seem all that fair to me. Timmy re-signing in Detroit, for example, doesn't affect Carolina much at all. That’s the whole basis for my objection.

I'd ask for a 1st, If I'm Jim Rutherford. However, I acknowledge that an unconditional 1st is too risky on your side. Therefore, I propose...

Conditional 2013 1st and a 2012 3rd for Gleason. If he doesn't re-sign, it becomes a 2013 2nd. A 2nd and a 3rd for a pure rental is pretty fair for both sides. Likewise, a 1st and a 3rd for a couple years of Tim Gleason is also pretty fair for both sides. Risk is successfully mitigated.
I think this is a pretty solid offer actually (though I still hope my initial Gleason+5th for 2nd+Lauridsen somehow is accepted by Rutherford).

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 01-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.
mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Hal Gill in this offensive system I think would be a bad fit. Think of OD from last year, OD is a great defensive d-man but couldn't be that in our system because they have to be very active and then that puts them out of position.

Gleason already knows our system so he has the most upside for this season in my mind.

Schenn should be a no if they want JVR for him.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Suter or bust!

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
hof2120

I'm not convinced that Suter's that good to be honest. I feel like Weber makes him look quite a bit better than he is.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:43 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I'm not convinced that Suter's that good to be honest. I feel like Weber makes him look quite a bit better than he is.
Some Nashville fans would tell you Suter makes Weber better.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Yep.. Suter is there to cover up Weber's mistakes

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote