HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres-Islanders

Old
01-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42426421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Have you seen Ryan Miller play this year? He's been terrible, and he throws a fit whenever a player comes withing 30 feet of him. In terms of whining, he's on the same level as DiPietro. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Derek Roy is always hurt and he's tiny. Luke Adam is a good young player, but why are we giving up two blue chippers and a solid 3rd liner to bring these guys in? This is not a trade worth getting rid of DiPietro.[/Q

DiPietro's critics can complain about a lot,but the guy is not a whiner.
DiPietro is most definitely a whiner.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:56 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
[QUOTE=Bauer Warrior;42435801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

DiPietro is most definitely a whiner.
One of the reasons there is tension in the Sabres lockerroom,is because Miller has over the seasons,complained in interviews about teammates when they've made boneheaded plays.

Earlier this season,an opposing player ran over Miller when he was out of the net and injured him.No teammates came to his aid.This bought up the question of whether Miller's past comments were behind the lack of action.

Miller complaining to an interviewer about a teammate is whining.RD doesn't whine.If RD complained to an interviewer about teammates,the board would crash.With fans crying about his selfishness destroying the team,etc.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42453591]
Quote:

One of the reasons there is tension in the Sabres lockerroom,is because Miller has over the seasons,complained in interviews about teammates when they've made boneheaded plays.

Earlier this season,an opposing player ran over Miller when he was out of the net and injured him.No teammates came to his aid.This bought up the question of whether Miller's past comments were behind the lack of action.

Miller complaining to an interviewer about a teammate is whining.RD doesn't whine.If RD complained to an interviewer about teammates,the board would crash.With fans crying about his selfishness destroying the team,etc.
I said that Miller is a whiner, too. This supports that fact, doesn't it?

Old
01-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Not that I wouldn't love to see DP off the team, but I don't think the deal works for the Islanders.

Realistically, there's just no way Wang adds that kind of salary in the short term. Obviously ridding the team of DP's contract saves money in the long run, but in the short term this deal means Wang has to spend a lot of extra money over the next few years. And frankly, I don't think Wang is concerned too much with what's on the books past 2015, because he'll have his new arena, which should bring higher revenues and allow him spend more, or he will sell the team. And that's if he doesn't sell the team before hand. But with insurance picking up a good chunk of DP's salary, and Strome and whoever is picked with what is likely a top 5 pick having 3 years of ELC, there's more additional salary coming to the Isles and less ways to skirt the cap floor.

Now, on the flip side, if we take money out of the situation and just think about it in pure hockey terms, pretending like if I ran the team and had an open check book, I wouldn't do the deal. Because in that situation, I'd rather just dump DP to the minors until he retires and keep Strome and the top 5 pick.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:13 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I don't know why Buffalo would do this, its basically Miller, Roy and Adam for Strome, Nielsen and the 1st pick, which would likely be around #10 by the end of the season. As much as I like Strome, Adam isn't all that much less (he also starred on the Canadian WJHC team).

Maybe if you include Bargnani and we include Bailey so we get an NHL ready offensive defenseman and a 2nd I would think about it. Miller is having a down year but he is still young enough and with enough good years behind him to think this is doable.

Okay posters, flame away but the pieces aren't that far off.

We could do a lot worse than Tavares, Roy and Adam as our three centers. And Nino would likely thrive alongside Roy, who is very responsible defensively.

With this lineup we look a lot more effective:

Tavares/Okposo/Moulson
Roy/Nino/Grabner
Adam/Martin/Ullstrom
Reasoner/etc

Streit/Bargnani
A-Mac/Hamonic
etc.

Miller/Montoya

That's not a bad lineup and still pretty young

Then the free agent pursuit is another d-man
roy wouldnt be a good fit with grabs. he doesnt pass all that much...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:13 AM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=Bauer Warrior;42453623]
Quote:

I said that Miller is a whiner, too. This supports that fact, doesn't it?
Miller's comments in interviews show Miller can be a whiner,taking public things that are better left in the lockerroom.

What comments/interviews can RD's critics bring up?Other then their own oft repeated 'I have no proof,but I have a feeling' comment.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:43 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Miller's comments in interviews show Miller can be a whiner,taking public things that are better left in the lockerroom.

What comments/interviews can RD's critics bring up?Other then their own oft repeated 'I have no proof,but I have a feeling' comment.
I thought the initial comment by Bauer was about him whining to the refs. That point I can agree with. As far as Rick whining to other players or the media, I don't see it and I'm with Crew on this one.

If we were talking about him potentially being arrogant, there's more to support that with quotes. The quote of him basically ignoring the rest of the goalie competition for his job and throwing our prospects under the bus is one of them.

Unless we hear a player on his team comment about DiPietro in the negative, everything is conjecture. I will say one thing though, there seems to be more silence than outward support unless someone is put right on the spot and asked directly. I've only gotten that vibe from very recent history though. There used to be a lot of positive talk about DiPietro even when he was injured. That ended sometime in the past few seasons.

Of course, can you blame anyone? Rick DiPietro played 63 NHL games in the 2007-08 seasons. He's played 47 NHL games since that time. That's a lot of time not contributing and even more time spent away from his teammates.

I do think that DiPietro has gained a little bit of humility in that time and he has had to deal with a ton of frustration. I don't see him retiring unless it's made obvious to him that he can't play at this level. As long as doctors tell him that he can get back on the ice, he'll try to get back on the ice. Is it perseverance, cockiness, a paycheck that keeps him going? I have no idea. I'd bet that it's a mix of everything. I think Rick wants to play NHL hockey. I think he wants to help this team. I think he'll be the last to admit that he's hurting the team by being on it until it's obvious to him that he can't play the game at a high enough level. I think that he'll be the last to know that, but that's just my feeling on it.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 01-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:32 AM
IslandersFan17

On a very real level a trade I would make with the Sabres would be

Buffalo trade
Luke Adam
Drew Stafford
2nd round selection 2012 draft

for

Islanders trade
Brock Nelson
Anders Lee

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
On a very real level a trade I would make with the Sabres would be

Buffalo trade
Luke Adam
Drew Stafford
2nd round selection 2012 draft

for

Islanders trade
Brock Nelson
Anders Lee
Which Stafford are the isles getting?

The one who averaged 15 goals a yr in his first 4 seasons and who's on pace for 14 this season?
Or the one who had a career yr last season,scoring 31 goals and earning fat new contract?

Old
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Just figuring that with the team not playing well, Wang would like to get the Dipietro contract out from under him. Here's an offer that would do that, as well as give you a great goaltender, who's signed, but not to a super long term deal, a solid 1b, 2a center, and a rookie with #2 center potential. But, you have to give to get, so here it goes...

To New York (I):
G-Ryan Miller
C-Derek Roy
C-Luke Adam

To Buffalo:
2012 1st round pick
C-Ryan Strome
G-Rick DiPietro
C-Frans Nielsen

Yes, you give up two very good pieces in the pick and prospect, but you get rid of Dipietro's contract, get a real #2 center behind Tavares, a great goalie on an expensive but relatively short-term contract, and a rookie in Adam who can play wing or center, and has 25goal, #2 center/winger potential. Giving up on picks which hasn't worked out for you guys besides Tavares really, for some proven talent, may not be a bad thing.
Are you sure you are a Sabres fan?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Roy's a ufa July 2013 and their front office wants him gone.He and Miller have underachieved.The backup outplaying the high priced Miller.

Their deep pocketed owner would either buyout RD out or bury him in the minors.

They haven't been able to land that elusive 1st line center.They get a high lottery pick in a deep draft+a bluechip center prospect in Strome.They'd be willing to overpay to keep Frans Nielsen longterm.
What's not to like as a Sabre fan?

Old
01-15-2012, 09:07 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Which Stafford are the isles getting?

The one who averaged 15 goals a yr in his first 4 seasons and who's on pace for 14 this season?
Or the one who had a career yr last season,scoring 31 goals and earning fat new contract?
The one you can plug into a checking line and look for 20 goals on a consistent basis. Could poossibly chip in more than that.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
The one you can plug into a checking line and look for 20 goals on a consistent basis. Could poossibly chip in more than that.

Isles balked at giving Comeau,coming off a 24 goal season, $2.5m and a longterm deal because of consistency questions.

Stafford cashed in after his big 31 goal season,getting a longterm deal that pays $4m per.Right now it looks like that 31 goal season was the standout,not the norm.He's on pace for 14 goals,which if you take out last season,would be typical production from him.Hard to see Snow interested in paying $4m for a 20 goal,checking line player.Isles have cheap kids like Martin/Ullstrom and maybe Cizkas for the 3rd line.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
luki here

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42453591]
Quote:

Are we comparing the star of the sabres to the seat warmer in long island? Perhaps millers opinion marters more?

Old
01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Apparently one of those that has had enough of ryan miller. Dp would be bought out and voila: 2 good centers for buffalo and the elusive first line center drafted this year.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42453659]
Quote:

He visibly sells out his defenseman on every puck that gets past him. He's got that sulky moan in every interview he has. His speech pattern is incredibly affected. Would you buy a used car from that guy?

His tone is ALWAYS "woe is me".

Old
01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=lukasfindl;42519613]
Quote:

Are we comparing the star of the sabres to the seat warmer in long island? Perhaps millers opinion marters more?
I didn't write the comment you're responding to.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=lukasfindl;42519613]
Quote:

I couldn't care less about whether Miller's right or wrong for calling out teammates in interviews.If I did,I'd have posted about it when I first read about it 1-2 months ago.

Chances are high that RD will either retire because of injuries or be bought out.No need to make crappy deal,giving up young blue chip talent to dump him.

An a RD critic calling him a whiner,in a thread where we are discussing Miller calling out teammates in interviews,is pretty funny.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=Bauer Warrior;42520677]
Quote:

He visibly sells out his defenseman on every puck that gets past him. He's got that sulky moan in every interview he has. His speech pattern is incredibly affected. Would you buy a used car from that guy?

His tone is ALWAYS "woe is me".
Oh his tone?'Woe is me'?Of course.
well that's even stronger proof.
then the usual 'I have no proof,just a feeling'

Old
01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=Bauer Warrior;42520715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post

I didn't write the comment you're responding to.
I'M not sure which comment you're talking about.

it doesn't matter.We're not changing each other's opinion of DiPietro.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42521015]
Quote:

Oh his tone?'Woe is me'?Of course.
well that's even stronger proof.
then the usual 'I have no proof,just a feeling'
I understand that people have their favorite players. I don't blame DiPietro for everything. From the get-go, he was put in a really tough spot. The Islanders bypassed Gaborik and Heatley in his favor, and Roberto Luongo was moved to make DiPietro the unequivocal #1 goaltender. So none of that was easy.

Believe me, I always wanted this guy to be a great goalie. He just never got there, and there were no signs indicating that he was ever going to get there. I will give you that an injury at the age of 25 leaves a lot of questions. I didn't see the signs of greatness, but in fairness, prior to Montoya's injury, he's starting to look solid at the age of 26 or 27.

What I do believe is that DiPietro began to succumb to the pressure. Maybe that got to him. I can be fair. This interview impresses me:

... but still, Charles Wang does not.

Last edited by Bauer Warrior*: 01-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
luki here

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42520853]
Quote:

I couldn't care less about whether Miller's right or wrong for calling out teammates in interviews.If I did,I'd have posted about it when I first read about it 1-2 months ago.

Chances are high that RD will either retire because of injuries or be bought out.No need to make crappy deal,giving up young blue chip talent to dump him.

An a RD critic calling him a whiner,in a thread where we are discussing Miller calling out teammates in interviews,is pretty funny.
I cant see wang buying dp out. Seems like the best case scenario for him now; insurance is paying a major part of dps salary, which also contributes towards the salary floor. Am i missing some wang-thoughts?

Old
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=lukasfindl;42540177]
Quote:
I cant see wang buying dp out. Seems like the best case scenario for him now; insurance is paying a major part of dps salary, which also contributes towards the salary floor. Am i missing some wang-thoughts?
Isles bought out Yashin when he still had quite few yrs and tens of millions left on his deal.They bought out Witt.A buyout at this pt would be $1.5m for the next 18 yrs.Not a huge amount for a sports franchise.

It'd be more irritating then anything else,with stupid jokes from the press and fans.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Bauer Warrior*

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;42555605]
Quote:

Isles bought out Yashin when he still had quite few yrs and tens of millions left on his deal.They bought out Witt.A buyout at this pt would be $1.5m for the next 18 yrs.Not a huge amount for a sports franchise.

It'd be more irritating then anything else,with stupid jokes from the press and fans.
Honestly, if he doesn't retire, I'd rather just ride out the contract. He won't play much, if at all.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:36 AM
LeapOnOver

No way on Nielsen. I still wonder if people watch the games other than who scores. The guy consistently breaks up plays in front of the net and gets the Islanders seamlessly out of the zone on numerous occasions. Just watch how many times he is carrying the puck out of the zone creating rushes and attack. I dare you to count...

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote