HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Shutdown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I want Galchenyuk! And I think we can get him in the mid to late 1st round so why not land a second 1st round pick and try to lane both Mikhail Grigorenko and Alex Galchenyuk.

Future top six:

Pacioretty - Gelchenyuk - Grigorenko
Gallagher - Eller - Leblanc
The Habs likely won't get the first pick or second pick for Grigorenko, and at the rate they're going it's not out of the realm of possibility that Galchenyuk is not there when we pick with our pick. He might go top 5, he might go a little lower but he sure as hell is not there in the "mid to late first round".

Last edited by Shutdown: 01-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The draft picks are starting to look better already,time for some more deals like the Camms.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I want Galchenyuk! And I think we can get him in the mid to late 1st round so why not land a second 1st round pick and try to lane both Mikhail Grigorenko and Alex Galchenyuk.

Future top six:

Pacioretty - Gelchenyuk - Grigorenko
Gallagher - Eller - Leblanc
You're talking about 2 players who might be drafted in the top 5 (well Grigo certainly will, Galch is still very much a possibility), while the Habs might not even have a lottery pick. Let's not get carried away here.

I don't think we'll be bad enough to get Yakupov or Grigorenko, but Galchenyuk is certainly a possibility. Which makes me giddy.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

That's right, forget about the Yakupov/Grigorenko debate.

I have a different debate between the 2 other elite forwards available in the draft in Swede right wing Filip Forsberg and Russian-American center Alex Galchenyuk.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba and/or Murray are picked. Hypothetically (not far-fetched), we have the 5th overall pick at the draft, and Forsberg and Galchenyuk are still available (assuming Galchenyuk has a BEAST playoffs), who would you take?

Personally, I would not mind having either, but if I was TT, I would take a risk on Galchenyuk because he is everything we have been looking for in our future number 1 center. He is a dynamic skater (pre-injury, will see how leg reacts when he returns), a great passer, creates his own plays and is very good defensively. He also plays a power game and can play with an edge and he also has a hell of a shot.

Forsberg would also be a good pick to make, don't get me wrong, but his showing at the WJC was not very impressive and I saw that he was used as the 13th forward by the gold medal game.

Like I said, this is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, but if you were TT with the 5th overall pick, who would you pick?

Last edited by AJMHABS: 01-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Et le But

If both are available I have to go Forsberg.

I know we need a big C, but it's not like we couldn't use a great winger either. Plekanec or Eller could probably increase production significantly with a guy like that next to him. Forsberg is after all the best playmaking winger behind Yakupov.

And what it comes down to, Forsberg will be able to go straight to the NHL; he won't be an instant 100 point guy but he should make an impact. Galchenyuk missing a year at his age is big, it probably won't ruin his career or anything but it could have a serious impact on his development. No way is he NHL ready for at least a year.

We are talking two great talents, two very well rounded players. You go with the safer one.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:07 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
I tend to agree with you. Forsberg has failed to impress me. Galychenyuk would be my guy but it's a huge risk to take with his injury. I guess it'll all depend on what the doctors are saying - just as long as he's not examined by the same docs that examined Markov.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post

I have a different debate between the 2 other elite forwards available in the draft in Swede right wing Filip Forsberg and Russian-American center Alex Galchenyuk.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba and/or Murray are picked. Hypothetically (not far-fetched), we have the 5th overall pick at the draft, and Forsberg and Galchenyuk are still available (assuming Galchenyuk has a BEAST playoffs), who would you take?

Personally, I would not mind having either, but if I was TT, I would take a risk on Galchenyuk because he is everything we have been looking for in our future number 1 center. He is a dynamic skater (pre-injury, will see how leg reacts when he returns), a great passer, creates his own plays and is very good defensively. He also plays a power game and can play with an edge and he also has a hell of a shot.

Forsberg would also be a good pick to make, don't get me wrong, but his showing at the WJC was not very impressive and I saw that he was used as the 13th forward by the gold medal game.

Like I said, this is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, but if you were TT with the 5th overall pick, who would you pick?

LOL

bank on atleast 2nd overall,cause that's where she is going ..

And for Columbus to make 10 points up on Mtl in next 39 games?...might not be far fetched..

Old
01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post

People tend to give way too much importance to the WJC. It's a tournament made for 18-19 years old players, it's really rare to see a 17 years old prospect having an impact. He was Sweden youngest player and I thought he did very well in his role.

Remember Sean Couturier last year? A very limited role, 13rd forward, left people unimpressed. Well the kid is in the NHL this year. Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, didn't make TC last year, it doesn't change the fact that they will end up being elite players. Even before the selection camp started, Forsberg was a sure shot of making a stacked team Sweden. That's impressive to me.

Anyway, I would be happy with either Galchenyuk or Forsberg. I really want to get a forward with gamebreaker potential.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:44 AM
tony baloney

Habs did well with a certain swede in the 80's mats nasluuund...maybe forseberg is way to go lol

Old
01-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Lafleurs Guy

If all things are equal and we can get a big skilled center, that's what I'd like to see. I'd prefer a balanced scorer though. Not just a playmaker or sniper but a little of both.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:47 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
People tend to give way too much importance to the WJC. It's a tournament made for 18-19 years old players, it's really rare to see a 17 years old prospect having an impact. He was Sweden youngest player and I thought he did very well in his role.

Remember Sean Couturier last year? A very limited role, 13rd forward, left people unimpressed. Well the kid is in the NHL this year. Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, didn't make TC last year, it doesn't change the fact that they will end up being elite players. Even before the selection camp started, Forsberg was a sure shot of making a stacked team Sweden. That's impressive to me.

Anyway, I would be happy with either Galchenyuk or Forsberg. I really want to get a forward with gamebreaker potential.
TBH, the scouts use the WJC to determine the top players from the tournament and who rises in the rankings and whoever struggles tends to fall off, and although it doesn't affect their development and chances of making the NHL, it does affect where they get drafted in the the draft. Some projected 1st rounder players could fall in the 2nd round because of struggling in the tournament and some players who weren't even relevant at the beginning of the year spike in their ranking for the draft because of their performance. It shows how important the WJC means to the scouts and their rankings for the draft.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:53 AM
BK201

Galchenyuk for sure. A good centre Is harder to find than a good winger.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:27 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
The Habs likely won't get the first pick or second pick for Grigorenko, and at the rate they're going it's not out of the realm of possibility that Galchenyuk is not there when we pick with our pick. He might go top 5, he might go a little lower but he sure as hell is not there in the "mid to late first round".
Gauthier would be annointed as the "New Sam Pollock".

Old
01-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Gauthier would be annointed as the "New Sam Pollock".
He'll be floating down the Ste Lawrence by then....

Old
01-14-2012, 01:43 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

tough choice but I have to go with Forsberg

Old
01-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Et le But

Interestingly enough Forsberg is actually a bit taller than Galchenyuk.

I agree that you usually go for a centre before a winger, but when you factor in a higher risk in Galchenyuk, to me that's more notable.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:28 AM
OneSharpMarble

It is really a shame if we can't get Grigorenko. Between those two you hear what the doctors say about Galchenyuk's injury and go from there.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
They don't make players like that anymore. What a ****ing beast.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:45 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Re:Forsberg tribute video

Best video on Youtube ever.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:57 AM
shutehinside

Without a doubt you have to go for galchenyuk. We're way to small down the middle and need a big skilled centre man to compete with the other top teams. This shouldn't even be a question. Forsberg can be a great player but our rel need is and has been for decades, a big, skilled centre.
I'd go as far as to move up the draft to get him if need be.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:17 AM
habshound247

I would love to hear the conversation between scouts trying to convince Timmins if Montreal had the #3 pick and Murray, Forsberg and Galchenyuk are all available.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
I wish for that Forsberg too but this one is nothing like the original. I just don't see that much offensive upside with this Forsberg and I really, really like Galchenyuk's mix of skill, speed, hands, vision and size. Plus, he's got a great shot with an amazing release. I want the most offensive guy we can get and if he's available, Galchenyuk is a no-brainer to me.

Keep in mind that if he had played all year this year, the conversion would be about Yakupov, him and Grigorenko as the top-3 of this draft.

Old
01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Without a doubt you have to go for galchenyuk. We're way to small down the middle and need a big skilled centre man to compete with the other top teams. This shouldn't even be a question. Forsberg can be a great player but our rel need is and has been for decades, a big, skilled centre.
I'd go as far as to move up the draft to get him if need be.
If you really want to draft a big center, I don't think moving up will be necessary. Gaunce and Girgensons both look to be progressing very well. A bit later, Faksa looks promising.

However, I'm against drafting for current, perceived need. I'm very happy the Habs completely ignored need in 2005 and picked Price, the BPA.

Old
01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If you really want to draft a big center, I don't think moving up will be necessary. Gaunce and Girgensons both look to be progressing very well. A bit later, Faksa looks promising.

However, I'm against drafting for current, perceived need. I'm very happy the Habs completely ignored need in 2005 and picked Price, the BPA.
Problem with Gaunce and Girgensons is they are more two-way players than offensive threats. They project to be 2nd line centres. If we want to hit a homerun and get a go-to guy down the middle, pick Galchenyuk or try to give more for Grigorenko.

Wow, I just realized the G-Unit down the middle in this draft.

Old
01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Galchenyuk

Closed Thread