HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Brayden Schenn vs Sean Couturier

Old
01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

vCash: 500
Couturier is already better than schenn.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Couturier is already better than schenn.
There's no way you could possibly say this.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
As a Flyers fan Schenn will probably be the number two center with an 80-90 point peak while Couturier will be the number 3 with around a 70 point peak. I'd take Schenn, but it's close.
As an NHL fan, your expectations are absurd. When's the last time a team had 3 centers (who were all actually playing center) who all put up 70+ points in the same season? It basically never happens, because it's not possible to have 3 different centers playing major offensive roles, getting huge minutes in offensive situations and on the PP. I can certainly see Schenn and Couturier both having 70+ point upside, but only on different teams or if moved to the wing. Also, 90 points seems pretty ridiculous for Brayden Schenn, regardless of his situation.

Re: the original question, I'd go with Couturier by a small margin. I think Schenn has a bit more offensive talent, and is definitely the faster skater, but Couturier is a lot bigger (well, taller, as a teenager he still has to fill out), and a lot better defensively. Both are IMO gonna be "good #2 C" type talents, but I'd give the edge to Couturier for his defensive game, a center with great size, with the ability to kill penalties and play shutdown, while also contributing at a fairly high level offensively, that's a pretty rare thing. Guys like Jordan Staal and Patrice Bergeron are invaluable, especially in the playoffs, and I can see Couturier playing a similar role.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
There's no way you could possibly say this.
The sample size hasn't been large, but I have seen enough to get the impression that Couturiers ceiling is higher than Schenn. At the present time, Couturier's game is far more polished. Schenn is a "run around" type of player. The only reason Schenn gets the offensive role is because Couturier has the hockey IQ to succeed in any role.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Love them both, but I see Couts as a future Giroux (plus size). He's showing jaw-dropping potential for someone with so little ice time.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:36 AM
marioni

Couturier

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote