HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does Flyers' lack of response to Steve Staios hit bother you?

Old
01-13-2012, 11:30 PM
JGalt

vCash: 500
Good on the Flyers for not doing something ****ing stupid like Mike Richards and costing the team. Few things bug me more in hockey than guys getting jumped after a clean hit. At least the Kings got what was coming to them for Richards acting like a retard.

JGalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Rinaldo will deal with it next game
Zac needs to be dressed every game.

He is like a crazy Carbomb but can actually play hockey.

Our team plays better when he is on the ice and I can't believe Lavi hasn't figured this out yet.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:53 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Good on the Flyers for not doing something ****ing stupid like Mike Richards and costing the team. Few things bug me more in hockey than guys getting jumped after a clean hit. At least the Kings got what was coming to them for Richards acting like a retard.

And yet you would be praising him if he did that and was still a Flyers. Amazing how things change when somebody wears a different jersey. I liked what he did in that game. You act like these two points are the be all end all of the season. Kopitar and the Kings wont forget that Mike Richards stood up for their best offensive player. Playoffs or not. Sometimes its better to stick up for a teammate than to worry about points you can get in the next game.

I hate this train of thought. Nobody should ever be faulted for rushing to their teammates aid. Clean hit or not. YOU SHOULD NEVER LET SOMEBODY ON YOUR TEAM GET PLASTERED INTO THE BOARDS LIKE THAT. EVER.
I really don't like what I hear from this fanbase sometimes. Situations like this cause me to not even recognize it even more. We are not the Montreal Canadiens. He clearly smashed him with that hit right in the face/head area. That's ********. Somebody better at least handle Staios' ass next game.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:51 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The Flyers used to be a team not to be messed with and teams knew that. Now though? Not so much. That is why I would like Sestito to be back up. Him/Harry Z/Rinaldo is the perfect 4th line, but we are overloaded at forward. That is why it would not surprise me to see one our of top 9 forwards traded for a D before the deadline.

Players should stick up for each other. I am sure if someone challenged him after that hit he would have dropped the gloves so nothing extra would have been given.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Kaktus*

I did not mind what he did. Was a little dirty and nasty but obviously not bad enough. Talbot won't forget.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:40 AM
kicksave27

I don't think fighters are a deterrent anymore. Nobody has to fight shelley. Yeah, sesito can actually play hockey so thats good. But rinaldo might actually be more of a deterrent, if he's on the bench and you cheap shot a flyer, Rinaldo is going to make multiple someones pay, not with fighting, but with his clean but devastating body checks. He's really learned how to play on the edge but not hurt his team, and the guy just loves to check, tries hard to play D. Nobody has surprised me more than Rinaldo this year, he's a perfect 4th liner.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:45 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I don't think fighters are a deterrent anymore. Nobody has to fight shelley. Yeah, sesito can actually play hockey so thats good. But rinaldo might actually be more of a deterrent, if he's on the bench and you cheap shot a flyer, Rinaldo is going to make multiple someones pay, not with fighting, but with his clean but devastating body checks. He's really learned how to play on the edge but not hurt his team, and the guy just loves to check, tries hard to play D. Nobody has surprised me more than Rinaldo this year, he's a perfect 4th liner.
Yet another reason to send Shelley the hell down to the AHL and keep Rinaldo up, and in the lineup a bit more often. The days of the goon who can't do anything else are dwindling and who else on the Flyers is willing to fight, or at least to be a deterrent? Hartnell, but you don't want him fighting much, Simmonds, he's not that scary either, on defence, who would fight? Maybe Coburn but he did nothing even though he was on the ice for that shift. Reminds me a bit of what happened to Ryan Miller when none of his teammates came to his aid against Lucic.

Last year, I remember Giroux cleanly laid out a player and was immediately jumped. Carter ended up fighting the guy. That's the kind of thing I like to see, even though he was obviously not a fighter. At least he tried, which is more than can be said about most of the current roster.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I agree with the time and situation they were staying disciplined and took it.

If they felt it was that big of a deal, we'll know next time they play the Islanders when they try to take Staois' head off.

Shanahan I'm sure could have reviewed it and since nothing seemed to happen my guess is the NHL felt it was a legal hit.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:07 AM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
And yet you would be praising him if he did that and was still a Flyers. Amazing how things change when somebody wears a different jersey. I liked what he did in that game. You act like these two points are the be all end all of the season. Kopitar and the Kings wont forget that Mike Richards stood up for their best offensive player. Playoffs or not. Sometimes its better to stick up for a teammate than to worry about points you can get in the next game.

I hate this train of thought. Nobody should ever be faulted for rushing to their teammates aid. Clean hit or not. YOU SHOULD NEVER LET SOMEBODY ON YOUR TEAM GET PLASTERED INTO THE BOARDS LIKE THAT. EVER.
I really don't like what I hear from this fanbase sometimes. Situations like this cause me to not even recognize it even more. We are not the Montreal Canadiens. He clearly smashed him with that hit right in the face/head area. That's ********. Somebody better at least handle Staios' ass next game.
**** this ****. Stay disciplined, take down the guys number, and if it's dirty enough to merit a response, deal with it when it's not going to hurt the team.

JGalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Flyersfan139

Quote:

If they do something next game I am fine with it but the end of that game was not the time.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
If they do something next game I am fine with it but the end of that game was not the time.
agreed .. just like Richards had to answer for the Booth hit

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
mtxed

Broadstreet bullies getting bullied??? That's why you play Rinaldo.

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:18 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Broadstreet bullies getting bullied??? That's why you play Rinaldo.
No. The Flyers won, which is exactly why you DON'T play Rinaldo. Broad Street Bullies hockey is losing hockey.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
remember when i said we should dress Zac. cuz this game might be chippy..

well there you go..

if Zac. is dressed for that game. Staios is bleeding for SURE !!!!
He would have been no where near the ice late in the 3rd period of a 1-goal game.

You have a whole career to get someone back. 2 points was more important. The Flyers play them again on Thursday, and 3 more times after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Zac needs to be dressed every game.

He is like a crazy Carbomb but can actually play hockey.

Our team plays better when he is on the ice and I can't believe Lavi hasn't figured this out yet.
This is not correct based on advanced numbers.

If people think the Islanders are a bunch of thugs who pushed the Flyers around (not true), then let the Islanders be thugs. It's gotten them really far in the last 20 years.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
iamcanadian23

A little upset there was not some small scuffle, at the very least - but would have been more upset if we missed the two points.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
No. It was tough to call if it was a hit to the head. It was a 1 goal lead with under 5 minutes left and the NYI's powerplay had looked really good..
Plus look who was out on the ice at the time Timonen, Coburn, Read and Couturier, Coburn's really the only guy out there that could have done something.

So I'm fine with them not doing anything.. Plus they meet 4 more times.
exactly. if someone has a problem with it then they take a number and wait for the next game. At the time, the game was on the line. The Flyers handled it right. Despite what Timmy P thought on twitter.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:50 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No. The Flyers won, which is exactly why you DON'T play Rinaldo. Broad Street Bullies hockey is losing hockey.

The Boston Bruins say different.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Broad Street Bullies hockey is losing hockey.
It is? Pretty sure they won two cups. Our only cups.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It is? Pretty sure they won two cups. Our only cups.
35 years ago. Then the league changed, we didn't, and we spent 30 years wasting tremendous talent trying to be "tough" instead of winning.

This franchise would have more than 2 cups if the Broad Street Bullies never won anything.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
The Boston Bruins say different.
Bruins were very disciplined last year. They got cocky this year, and they will not win the Cup if they don't knock off the shenanigans and get back to playing good hockey. Nonsense might work in December and January, but it will fail in May.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Bruins were very disciplined last year. They got cocky this year, and they will not win the Cup if they don't knock off the shenanigans and get back to playing good hockey. Nonsense might work in December and January, but it will fail in May.

I doubt that. They were beast in last years playoffs with their physical play. No other team had a roster that could fight back and that was a huge reason for their success. The Flyers didn't lose because of the "Bully" approach they lost cause of goal tending '10, '97, '76, and they lost cause the other teams were just better '80, '85, '87.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
s3x

Quote:
Broad Street Bullies hockey is losing hockey.
Tell that to the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Having said that, have no fear, we can't adopt a Broad Street Bullies mentality because one tough guy willing to stand up for a teammate doesn't constitute a multitude. We don't have the size or the attitude.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
lancer247

This reminds me of the hit Prust put on Kimo last season or the season before at the end of the game. A lot of people were upset Richards or no one went after him.

I didn't have a problem with them focusing on the win on a borderline hit. Besides the Flyers don't have a guy that can extract a pound of flesh in their line up. Rinaldo is willing and tough but only 180 lbs and Simmonds is also tough and willing but not someone that would strike fear into Staios.

Regardless of what they do with picking up someone like Beauch, Kubina or Gleason I would like to see them add a guy like Sutton or S. O'Brien now to add some size an toughness to the d.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I did not mind what he did. Was a little dirty and nasty but obviously not bad enough. Talbot won't forget.
Thank you. I am on the fence regarding whether the Flyers should have responded. On the one hand I like it when teams defend their own. It sends the message that you don't really give a **** if the hit was legal or not, if you go out of your way to lay that heavy a check on one of my players, there will be a price. On the other hand, there are the strategic considerations already mentioned.

What I will say is that we have all gotten a little oversensitive to the whole elbowing issue. Pretty soon there's going to be a rule that players aren't allowed to have elbows or check each other. Subbans and Staois's hits were clean. They made contact with their arms tucked and followed through with their hands to push the opposition player away. Subban shouldn't have turtled but that's another story.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:34 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
What will Talbot do? Talbot is a good player that is great on the pk. Him fighting him the next game for that? Not going to happen, Talbot is no fighter at all and would need someone like Sestito to have his back. Backing each other up builds up the team chemistry, if a player gets taken out like that and someone sticks up for them I am sure they are very grateful for it.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote