HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade your Buffalo Sabres owner

Old
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I didn't expect him to have the best team in hockey assembled in one summer.
Neither did I. I also didn't expect one of the worst, which is what we've gotten through 42 games.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Didn't the Dallas Mavericks and Mark Cuban just win the NBA Championship.......

And if memory is correct, Steinbrener's Yankees have won 5 World Series in the last 15 years.

You "CHILDREN" who are knocking this guy, have no clue about business, and how to eveluate. Before he took over he hired "HOCKEY" people to consult with. You don't become a multi-billionaire by being a punk. He needed to change the "CULUTRE" of the entire Buffalo organization first, before he will win the CUPS. The Captain fiasco made the Sabres organization look like a bunch of clowns, and until top-on-down organizational changes are apparent to the entire hockey community, the Sabres will be punks, not until they change the perception.

Wow....this guy deserves praise from every one of us, not this hatred spew from some of you.
I'm not sure why you brought up the Yankees and Mavericks but first things first we need to draw a clear distinction in this thread. Terry Pegula is an extremely successful businessman no doubt about it. I've got news for you, so are 29 other owners and the same can be said for the other professional sports leagues. Running a sports franchise is not the same as drilling for oil or natural gas. My point is Pegula is well meaning when he meddles in player personnel but so was Daniel Snyder he's got to learn the process of being an owner. Also dwelling and making excuses for something that happened five years ago is counter productive and silly we should have moved far passed that at this point not to mention they tried to sign one of them so you can't entirely blame prior ownership completely.

Lastly calling those who don't share your beliefs is the epitome of "childish" so take a look in the mirror before name calling.

Thanks!

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

umm, after less than a year??? really?

Incomplete.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Didn't the Dallas Mavericks and Mark Cuban just win the NBA Championship.......

And if memory is correct, Steinbrener's Yankees have won 5 World Series in the last 15 years.

You "CHILDREN" who are knocking this guy, have no clue about business, and how to eveluate. Before he took over he hired "HOCKEY" people to consult with. You don't become a multi-billionaire by being a punk. He needed to change the "CULUTRE" of the entire Buffalo organization first, before he will win the CUPS. The Captain fiasco made the Sabres organization look like a bunch of clowns, and until top-on-down organizational changes are apparent to the entire hockey community, the Sabres will be punks, not until they change the perception.

Wow....this guy deserves praise from every one of us, not this hatred spew from some of you.
I'd love to know what hockey people Terry hired. I think we have different definitions of "hockey people."

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
umm, after less than a year??? really?

Incomplete.
Yes, Posters are grading players, coaches, GM's etc...

So grade to this point, NOT the future, NOT before last February. Just while he's owned the team so far. Instead of complaining and whining ... Grade Pegula.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
You "CHILDREN" who are knocking this guy, have no clue about business, and how to eveluate.
Are you 12? Children?

Quote:
Yep. changed the whole "CULUTRE" [sic] of the organization...

by keeping both Darcy and Lindy, and then publicly neutering his GM by telling the press that the coach isn't going anywhere.

And then, to really change up the culture, he (and/or his GM) kept the entire craptacular Rochester core together.

Now that's what I call a top-on-down organizational change.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Tough to grade now. I think the semester ends at some point after the last game they play this year and the first game of next.

I think he's definitely in danger of failing his first semester. Keeping the status quo for another year is going to land him an F. The only way to get an A at this point is to clean house - Ruff and Regier both gone, the Rochester core dismantled.

If I had to guess, I think he'll end up with something in the range of a C- or D, ie Roy or Stafford traded, maybe a decent UFA signing, not much else, same bad coach/GM tandem, still not close to a contender.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Tough to grade now. I think the semester ends at some point after the last game they play this year and the first game of next.

I think he's definitely in danger of failing his first semester. Keeping the status quo for another year is going to land him an F. The only way to get an A at this point is to clean house - Ruff and Regier both gone, the Rochester core dismantled.

If I had to guess, I think he'll end up with something in the range of a C- or D, ie Roy or Stafford traded, maybe a decent UFA signing, not much else, same bad coach/GM tandem, still not close to a contender.
Couldn't agree more.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Nobody should be grading the owner based on player moves. Period.

Player moves are all Regier. If the moves don't work, and the GM is kept, that's when you criticize the owner.

Fans gave BTG time to turn things around after he took the team over from the toilet bowl it was in. Why does Pegula not get the same courtesy?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Sabretip

Still too early to tell - but thus far, he merits an A- IMO with the only questionable choice being the one to not bring in a new voice with hockey experience (i.e. Patrick, Dudley, etc.). I can understand the decision to keep Ruff and Regier around and see what they could do with his resources but a fresh perspective from someone outside of the organization, with proven track record, would have been good insurance against current management becoming too comfortable with doing things the same way they've always done them.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
sabresandkane

I give Pegula an A-, love his attitude, love what he's done with the team. The optimism that he brought has been forgotten by most, but in the end he's owned the team for the 2nd half of one season (which was incredible) and the 1st half of another (which has obviously been awful). I'm not going to let a bad stretch by this team ruin my opinion of an owner who cares more than most, and certainly more than any owner we've had here in my lifetime.

I also don't mind Derek Roy so what do I know

sabresandkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
by keeping both Darcy and Lindy, and then publicly neutering his GM by telling the press that the coach isn't going anywhere.
To neuter Regier on that point, Regier would have wanted to change coaches.

I doubt that is the case.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Nobody should be grading the owner based on player moves. Period.

Player moves are all Regier. If the moves don't work, and the GM is kept, that's when you criticize the owner.

Fans gave BTG time to turn things around after he took the team over from the toilet bowl it was in. Why does Pegula not get the same courtesy?
Are you sure about that?

Every team is different. George Steinbrenner most certainly got involved with player moves.

And Pegula and Black have talked about how the two of them will work together with Regier in re-making the team. I would be surprised if Pegula had zero involvement other than rubberstamping the moves that Regier made this summer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Loungie

B+? Yes he put commitment and lots of money into the team to turn them into a winning team, but I think its time for a new GM and maybe even coach. Here me out on this one, but if Buffalo does make playoffs and sees another first round exit, time for Lindy to hit the road. IMO Darcy just isn't doing enough....as what I see..

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

^^On the contrary, if Lindy makes the playoffs with this squad, I think he merits consideration to stay, on the grounds he took an underperforming, non-cohesive, injury-decimated team, went on a great run, and forged a playoff-caliber squad.

Why fire him if they make it and flame out?

Face it, Lindy's staying until the off-season. My logic is as follows:

1. Pegula's a rational guy; not rash.
2. It will be Darcy's decision, unless Darcy is released. Why would Pegula release Darcy before the end of the season?
3. If Pegula linked making the playoffs to firing Ruff, the probability of that is so low, he could release him now. So why wait? Because he's not going to fire him in-season.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote