HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this the WINGS last stand?

View Poll Results: Based on age, How many years do the Wings have left to make a run at the cup?
1 year 28 82.35%
2 years 4 11.76%
3 years 0 0%
5 years 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 08:45 PM
MadMattLaBlanc

vCash:
Is this the WINGS last stand?

Based on their age, is this the Redwings last chance to make a run at the Stanley cup? How many years do they have left?

Old
11-05-2003, 04:22 AM
onearmedbandit14

vCash: 500
They will lose a lot of key players, especially if there is a lockout. Yzerman, Chelios, Hull to name a few. Lidstrom may go back to Sweden. Hasek is likely on the outs after this year. This is the last chance for a few years to make a serious run at the Cup in my opinion.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:55 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

I think Detroit will go out and sign a couple UFA's and be in the top 3 teams to beat next season(possibly 05-06 if a lockout takes place). I think a new core group made up out of some of the below upcoming UFA’s will be brought in by Holland / Illitch.
Keith Carney
Brian Rolston
Alexei Zhitnik
Craig Conroy
Alexei Zhamnov
Paul Kariya
Teemu Selanne
Richard Matvichuk
Zigmund Palffy
Wes Walz
Eric Lindros
Alexei Kovalev
Petr Nedved
Daniel Alfredsson
Keith Primeau
Mark Recchi
Eric Weinrich
Mike Ricci
Mike Rathje
Jassen Cullimore
Ken Klee
Johan Hedberg
Peter Bondra

Old
11-05-2003, 06:14 AM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
I think Detroit will go out and sign a couple UFA's and be in the top 3 teams to beat next season(possibly 05-06 if a lockout takes place). I think a new core group made up out of some of the below upcoming UFA’s will be brought in by Holland / Illitch.
Keith Carney
Brian Rolston
Alexei Zhitnik
Craig Conroy
Alexei Zhamnov
Paul Kariya
Teemu Selanne
Richard Matvichuk
Zigmund Palffy
Wes Walz
Eric Lindros
Alexei Kovalev
Petr Nedved
Daniel Alfredsson
Keith Primeau
Mark Recchi
Eric Weinrich
Mike Ricci
Mike Rathje
Jassen Cullimore
Ken Klee
Johan Hedberg
Peter Bondra
You are living in a dream world, after the lockout and all this team is going to be a former shell of itself. There is no way they stay serious cup contenders, they probably should make the playoffs though. Losing Yzerman, Chelios, Hull, Lidstrom, Hasek. There goes half the "core" of the team, you cant go out and buy that other half of it either, which has been shown thanks to NYR. The wings will still be a respectable team, but rebuilding will still occur.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:11 AM
MotownMadman

Lock out or not next year, this is really the Wings last strong run (when we get rollin on all cylinders) for the Cup. I'm hoping that Holland can restructure the team around a new core (Fish, Pasha, Zett, Hatcher, Hudler) and keep Detroit competitive. I realize that they didn't lose their core, but Colorado made some major changes between 96 and today and remained in the elite the whole time. Again, they had Roy, Sakic, Forsberg and Foote that whole time, but with all the other changes they still played consistent. Roy was likely the biggest part in giving them a chance to win each night and maybe that is what Detroit really needs now is a long term number one in net to help with the transition.

Just some thoughts.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:44 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grift69
You are living in a dream world, after the lockout and all this team is going to be a former shell of itself. There is no way they stay serious cup contenders, they probably should make the playoffs though. Losing Yzerman, Chelios, Hull, Lidstrom, Hasek. There goes half the "core" of the team, you cant go out and buy that other half of it either, which has been shown thanks to NYR. The wings will still be a respectable team, but rebuilding will still occur.
I guess we will have to wait and see then buddy. What would be the point of going into a shell after this year? I can't see Illitch doing that.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:46 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
This is not the end...not by a long shot. It may not come automatically, but they aren't ready to roll over and play dead by any stretch of the imagination.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
PigPen

I think they'll have this season and next to make cup runs. After that though, I don't think they'll be in good enough shape and may even miss the playoffs entirely. Lets just hope we hold onto our 1st rounders in the coming years.

With the looks of it, Yzerman may try and hold on for another year even if he shouldn't.
Lidstrom may be back as well as Schneider. Holland will do all in his power to hold this defense together.
Shanahan will no doubt retire a Red Wing. Lets face it - He wasn't playing bad because he's old and slow. He was playing bad because a lack of fire. If he plays consistently, he'll be useful for the next 2-3 years. Maybe not as a consistent 35+ goal threat, but 25-30 definately won't be out of his range.
Hudler will start getting regular ice time, and Kronwall will stay up with the big team. Lets just cross our fingers and hope that Holland doesn't screw Kronwall up like he did Wallin. Kronwall is too good to be stuck as a 6th-7th defenseman.
If Grigerenko makes a full recovery you can bet your ass he's going to be in Detroit next year.
Devereaux (lack of talent) will most likely be gone as will Hull and Chelios(retirement)
Wooley more than likely won't be resigned.

We probably won't have a huge roster turnover this season. Maybe 3 or 4 players retire. Yzerman will be the only one that can't be replaced.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Keith Carney
Brian Rolston
Alexei Zhitnik
Craig Conroy
Alexei Zhamnov
Paul Kariya
Teemu Selanne
Richard Matvichuk
Zigmund Palffy
Wes Walz
Eric Lindros
Alexei Kovalev
Petr Nedved
Daniel Alfredsson
Keith Primeau
Mark Recchi
Eric Weinrich
Mike Ricci
Mike Rathje
Jassen Cullimore
Ken Klee
Johan Hedberg
Peter Bondra
That will make an awesome team!

A few players I'd love to get....

Paul Kariya. We may be able to sign him. We will have the money but does he want to sign with us? Maybe. I think he will resign with Colorado along with Selanne though.

Ziggy Palffy will cost alot. He makes 7M$ now and look what he did last season playing with Derek Armstrong - 85 pts. He has 16 pts so far this season. 7.5M$ - 9.5M$ is what he will cost a team IMO.

Keith Carney is a gritty vetran defenseman who would be a great addition.

Daniel Alfredsson IMO will certainly return to the Senators and I hope he does.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
this is how i see it. We probably will be crap for 1-3 years to get some more skilled youth in here, and then by the time dats and z are in the late 20's, or so, we will be a contender again... Illitch wont let this team be complete **** inless there's a plan in order.....

Old
11-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
this is how i see it. We probably will be crap for 1-3 years to get some more skilled youth in here, and then by the time dats and z are in the late 20's, or so, we will be a contender again... Illitch wont let this team be complete **** inless there's a plan in order.....
in three years dats will be 28 and Zets will be 26, imagine those two totally mature with some very skillful youth around them, ooooo it gives me goosebumps

Old
11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Maybe we can have a COMPLETE dropoff and get Crosby.....not gonna happen but THINK ABOUT IT. I'll have to cut off contact from all my friends for a few years though.....damn them and thier ridicule.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:17 AM
Shoalzie

Last stand? Maybe. It's hard to say how good this team might still be after all of the old guard retire. It'll probably be the beginning of a new era for the Wings starting next year. They won't be perennial contenders but they'll atleast still be a playoff team. I think a lot depends on if Lidstrom re-signs or if he decides to go back to Sweden.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:22 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Keith Carney
Brian Rolston
Alexei Zhitnik
Craig Conroy
Alexei Zhamnov
Paul Kariya
Teemu Selanne
Richard Matvichuk
Zigmund Palffy
Wes Walz
Eric Lindros
Alexei Kovalev
Petr Nedved
Daniel Alfredsson
Keith Primeau
Mark Recchi
Eric Weinrich
Mike Ricci
Mike Rathje
Jassen Cullimore
Ken Klee
Johan Hedberg
Peter Bondra
I think Ilitch will spend whatever he has to to keep a winner in town.
Here a few of the players I would like to come in:
Cheilos Out, Carney In.
Hull Out, Palffy In.
Yzerman Out (Possibly Not), Rolston In.
Shanahan Out (Unless he takes a pay cut)
Lidstrom Out (Unless he signs a new deal and stays in NA)

There will be no signings, IMO, until after a new CBA is hammered out with a salary structure being set by the Cap.

Closed Thread