HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Achilles Heel of this team

Old
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Blue Regime

vCash: 500
The Achilles Heel of this team

IMO, Gaborik's health.

We've already proven we have good depth as far as defense goes, and the Lundqvist/Biron tandem is one of the best in the league.

However, we've yet to really face a lot of injuries on offense, and I fear that if Gaborik goes down long term, this team starts having some trouble. If I'm coaching the other team and I'm in a playoff series with NYR, I make sure to send some scrub headhunting for Gaborik early in the series, and I think that would be a blow that would seriously hurt our chances at making a deep playoff run.

Thoughts?

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
IMO, Gaborik's health.

We've already proven we have good depth as far as defense goes, and the Lundqvist/Biron tandem is one of the best in the league.

However, we've yet to really face a lot of injuries on offense, and I fear that if Gaborik goes down long term, this team starts having some trouble. If I'm coaching the other team and I'm in a playoff series with NYR, I make sure to send some scrub headhunting for Gaborik early in the series, and I think that would be a blow that would seriously hurt our chances at making a deep playoff run.

Thoughts?
He missed very few games his first year here and last year he missed 20 games from a concussion and shoulder injury.

I hope he'll be okay in the future. He's taken a few hard hits this year and was fine.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Yes, this would be a nightmare.

Last edited by IBleedNYRBlue: 01-12-2012 at 03:15 PM.
IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

He's still a professional athlete. Something I like about this team is the depth it has. You can't say the Achilles heel of a team is the chance of someone being hurt. Let's hope he does stay healthy.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
NYROrtsFan

Regardless of the sport, you need to be fortunate as far as injuries go in order to win the whole thing.

Let's hope we get lucky with injuries.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
IMO, Gaborik's health.

Thoughts?
Good point. If Gabby gets hurt(not a stretch based on his history), we really have no other "elite level" finisher to take up the slack. I think we need to address this come the deadline w/o giving up the farm literally speaking. Another area of concern would be perhaps addressing the powerplay point issue.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

loosing gaborik would be huge, but i tend to think loosing hank would be the biggest possible blow to this team. if gaborik is down yea we loose scoring but other guys can step up, birons a great backup but i dont think hes capable of putting the team on his back in the playoffs if need be.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
loosing gaborik would be huge, but i tend to think loosing hank would be the biggest possible blow to this team. if gaborik is down yea we loose scoring but other guys can step up, birons a great backup but i dont think hes capable of putting the team on his back in the playoffs if need be.
True, but I pick on Gaborik because of his history. Forwards are obviously much more prone to injury than goalies, and Gaborik has sustained his fair share of injuries already. Someone could easily knock him out for the season with an elbow to the head.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
broadwayblue

The Achilles Heel of this team will be faceoff % and power play % come the post season. If at least one of these is not improved we are going to be in big trouble. Everything gets tighter come the playoffs, and success in these two areas becomes that much more important.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Emptyvoid

Losing any important player for any team would be a blow, I don't think that's our Achilles heel though.

Definitely the PP in my mind. If we could somehow get it to 19%, we'd be great offensively with fantastic shutdown D.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Losing any important player for any team would be a blow, I don't think that's our Achilles heel though.

Definitely the PP in my mind. If we could somehow get it to 19%, we'd be great offensively with fantastic shutdown D.
Yes, but what I'm arguing is that we could lose a single player and I think our scoring decreases dramatically. Whereas pick a forward on the Bruins/Canucks/Sharks/Red Wings to take out, and they still have elite scorers to pick up the slack.

What do we have? Richards? He's a playmaker, not an elite scorer. Cally? Not nearly gonna pick up Gaborik's slack.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post

Have to agree it is the PP. It's the difference between 2-1 games and 3-1 or 4-1...that extra wiggle room is going to be important as we can't count on our defense for everything. It also will prevent teams from trying to roll over us with impunity, especially as things get really physical towards the end of the year and in the playoffs.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Crease

Gotta get the PP going. It's almost the only way to score in the playoffs.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The same can be said for just about any team if their best scorer is knocked out for an extended period of time.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:27 PM
McMonster

the achilles heel of this team is the powerplay... and IMO, it will cost us in the playoffs

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
94now

What make one think that we are definitely getting into playoffs?

Up until we clinched the conversation is senseless. What if? Ask that question to Locomotive of Jaroslavl fans.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
I'd say an injury to Lundqvist would hurt us way more than an injury to Gaborik.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

Up until we clinched the conversation is senseless. What if? Ask that question to Locomotive of Jaroslavl fans.
You're just the worst. The pits, if you will.

The PP is definitely the biggest problem, but really, it's a problem for the same reason losing Gaborik would be a problem. They still need another great scorer to be legit.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
msv957

Agreed. Losing Gaborik would be devastating to this team. He is the most dangerous player on the ice for this team. He makes it easy for the players on his line.

Losing Hank would hurt, however, Biron is a real good goalie and with the team defense that Torts has this team playing I would think Biron would do quite well as the starting goalie.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

I think it's pretty likely that this team is making the playoffs. Certainly there are no guarantees, but this is a playoff team no doubt. The main question is whether we are #1 or #8 in the conference.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Forward Consistency & the Power Play

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
IMO, Gaborik's health.

Thoughts?
Lundqvist going down would be worse imo...

Every team has this same situation though... protect the few elite players you have if you know whats good for you.

01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Sheer Con*

Offensive depth for sure. Gaborik and Richards are stars, but Gaborik's health concerns are well documented. After that Dubinsky, Callahan and Stepan are solid players, but the rest are sort of middling at best IMO. Surely they'll want to add at the deadline to try to compete with the powerhouse teams. Boston is a given, but if you look at a team like Philadelphia, they are much deeper up front.

Sheer Con* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Leetch66

Winning draws...you can't score if you don't have the puck and it also is the most important part of a successful PP . You can't get the point shot without the face off win ! Puck possession is a very huge part of the game...

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Sheer Con*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
He's still a professional athlete. Something I like about this team is the depth it has. You can't say the Achilles heel of a team is the chance of someone being hurt. Let's hope he does stay healthy.
Well that's all relative, right? Losing Gaborik would certainly be a massive shot, as the Rangers are so reliant on him to produce. I mean, he accounts for nearly 20% of the Rangers goals, and three players account for 44% of the Rangers goals. That's very top-heavy.

Sheer Con* is offline   Reply With Quote